Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I Don't Want This Kind of Hero is super good you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Gologle posted:

I started reading it today and it's interesting, but hard to follow. I'm not sure if it's the translation or what.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The translation is in fact extremely poor.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Gologle posted:

Gonna check it out, thanks for the rec.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Gologle posted:

The translation is in fact extremely poor.

The MCs are interesting enough, the worldbuilding is fun, but the villains feel super lackluster. I get that they're not supposed to be super threatening but I'm 90 chapters in and there's so little tension.

We keep getting told the big bad is such an awful person and whatnot, but he hasn't even done all that much. He killed a bunch of nonames off-screen, and did attack Number Two but even then #2 just healed right up. I don't want the character to be killed off but it just felt lacking.

The translations are quite poor which doesn't help.

I'm still planning to power through to reach the current pages, but I really don't feel like it's got the same draw that other manhwa's have where it leaves me dying to know what happens next.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

khy posted:

The MCs are interesting enough, the worldbuilding is fun, but the villains feel super lackluster. I get that they're not supposed to be super threatening but I'm 90 chapters in and there's so little tension.

You haven't really met the villain yet. You've met some crazy people who are violent. The actual main villain is much, much more competent and much, much scarier. If you are thinking of checking out anyway, here's a spoiler: She's the world's strongest hero, and she wants to make sure there are *real* heroes to replace her when she goes. Which involves destroying Spoon and making sure Naga cuts the poo poo and starts focusing. Knife in comparison is a bunch of nobody's she keeps around for undefined reasons, possibly to give the heroes something to strive against. She could, fairly effortless and pretty much instantly, destroy them all.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Aug 12, 2017

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Even behind spoiler bars I didn't want to post that, because it's a relatively recent development. But yes, I know this is like the famous last words, but "it does get better." What originally drew me to the series was the humor, but the characters actually started to get me invested. I love the Chief and Naga, and the idea of a world where superheroes are more than just larger than life people who fight larger than life threats, they are actual public servants who perform everyday helpful activities more often than just fighting villains.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah it's one of those things where "Just hang in there" is really not enough after someone is 90 chapters in and has a problem with a fundamental plot problem, but if you tell them explicitly you are sort of robbing the shift a little. But I think it's an interesting place to take the story that is actually shaking things up a bit, so a light spoiler then the actual spoiler behind a bar.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
The reason why I couldn't get into The Gamer is actually for that reason, now that I think about it. I read a long ways in, and then I came to the realization "Oh, this comic is the webcomic equivalent of grinding in an MMO, and way too much time is spent doing explicitly that." I'm not going to read a comic devoted to watching a gamer literally grind his real life stats up when I could go do that in a game myself.

They can't all be God of High School, that just randomly shifts gears every so often with little warning.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ RAIZEL TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Noblesse is basically bleach at this point, and even the pretty boys can't keep me caring. I entirely expect Maduke to asspull another way to come back, because he has already done it the last 5 times he got beaten. This one fight took what, 13 weeks? That's stupidly long.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

KittyEmpress posted:

Noblesse is basically bleach at this point, and even the pretty boys can't keep me caring. I entirely expect Maduke to asspull another way to come back, because he has already done it the last 5 times he got beaten. This one fight took what, 13 weeks? That's stupidly long.

Too self aware to be bleach

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It's still stuck in the same trap as bleach was where it has a bloating cast and has to let everyone fight

khy
Aug 15, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

It's been pretty-boy Bleach basically forever. If you re-read the early parts it's nothing but power escalation taken to stupid lengths. Starting from basically DA5 it's just been 'Oh look now these guys are here BUT TEN TIMES STRONGER THAN THOSE LAST GUYS'. And ten turned into fifty once the elders started showing up. And even then it keeps trying to keep M21, Tao, and Takeo relevant despite the fact that no matter how much they power up they still get their asses kicked by mooks and can't face any of the big bads.

My question is will they pull another 'jam a swordsoul into his chest to restore his life' move. It was interesting the first time but a repeat would just be stupid as hell.

I'd much rather they go back to Rai being an elegant imbecile who's amazed by simple things like Automatic Doors, and cannot figure out simple technology. Those days were the best.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I miss when he missed fights because he couldn't figure out how to leave Frankenstein's house without breaking anything

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I've got to admit I'm slightly disappointed we didn't get blood vortexes reaching space and a giant blood phoenix. My guess is Maduke isn't finished and Rai will probably end up absorbing the soul stone so that his power will be restored, just like his brother had intended but it won't be Rai or his brother causing the evil so might as well!

Crombell and the 1st elder are still around and it looked Crombell was heading there so who knows, maybe we'll get something interesting out of this.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm okay with Noblesse being vampire bleach because Bleach was so dumb it wrapped back around into being unironically amazing and if Noblesse can manage even half the greatness that was a race of people represented by a dude saying they only used bows and arrows suddenly having a luchador pop up among their ranks, I'll be satisfied.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Noblesse is better than Bleach because there are several Aizens and they are all the good guys. Bleach's only mistake was making Aizen a villain. Oh, and the whole thousand year blood war arc was a mistake too.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Is there anybody who doubts that the first elder is Rai's brother revealed to be alive this whole time? Why was Rai's brother even evil in the first place, I don't think we ever got anything about him other than those few pages of Rai confronting him.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

If people like cheesy feel-good romance stuff check out Super Secret.

Plot summary : Emma is a ditzy college student. Ryan is her closest friend from next door, who cares for her almost like a mother. What Emma doesn't know, however, is that Ryan is actually a werewolf, Ryan's entire family is supernatural in some form or another, and Emma's parents basically gave her to Ryan's family as his 'property' ages past for accidentally kidnapping Ryan.

It's cheesy and stupid but also pretty fun.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Gologle posted:

Is there anybody who doubts that the first elder is Rai's brother revealed to be alive this whole time? Why was Rai's brother even evil in the first place, I don't think we ever got anything about him other than those few pages of Rai confronting him.

I think Rai's brother wanted to use the soul stone to save Rai but Rai being the Noblesse he had to kill his own brother for sacrificing humans. That's how I read it anyway.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!

khy posted:

I second this, this comic is great.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lyon posted:

Rai will probably end up absorbing the soul stone so that his power will be restored, just like his brother had intended but it won't be Rai or his brother causing the evil so might as well!

Kinda figuring something like this will happen to charge him back up, either the way you said or Franky will confiscate it and figure out how to use it without the evil part, maybe with a substantial nerf so it's not like a full charge but gets him back off of death's door.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rai would never go for it. even if the only options were doing nothing with that rock and using it on himself, he'd still refrain.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Everything Burrito posted:

Kinda figuring something like this will happen to charge him back up, either the way you said or Franky will confiscate it and figure out how to use it without the evil part, maybe with a substantial nerf so it's not like a full charge but gets him back off of death's door.

If the people have already been killed by the bad guy then I'm sure they'll just say, 'welp nothing we can do about it now, might as well heal up old raizel.'

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

Plot summary : Emma is a ditzy college student. Ryan is her closest friend from next door, who cares for her almost like a mother. What Emma doesn't know, however, is that Ryan is actually a werewolf, Ryan's entire family is supernatural in some form or another, and Emma's parents basically gave her to Ryan's family as his 'property' ages past for accidentally kidnapping Ryan.

It's cheesy and stupid but also pretty fun.

Sounds like some sort of reverse version of Tokimeki Tonight (where the protagonist is a girl who is a member of a supernatural vampire/werewolf family instead of the love interest, who is human).

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Was the dark spear created as a result of ww2 and Frankenstein stole it I can't remember. I wonder if there will be a full Frankenstein flashback

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jose posted:

Was the dark spear created as a result of ww2 and Frankenstein stole it I can't remember. I wonder if there will be a full Frankenstein flashback

The dark spear was created by the organization but not for WW2, just made by 'wars and suffering' and all kinds of bad poo poo like that. Frankie stole it from them.

Keep in mind though, the Dark Spear was Frankie's before Raizel went to sleep and that was what, 600 years ago?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

khy posted:

And even then it keeps trying to keep M21, Tao, and Takeo relevant despite the fact that no matter how much they power up they still get their asses kicked by mooks and can't face any of the big bads.

To be fair, M21 is at least effectively a werewolf and werewolves have the potential to be as strong as Noble clan leaders, so he could plausibly keep up with some of the big players.

Tao and Takeo though...they don't really have much of an excuse other than "uh, Frankenstein did some totally dangerous experiments or something" for staying relevant.

edit: The most disappointing thing is how the "Sera (or whoever the white-haired scyth-wielding clan leader is) has a crush on red-haired human guy" subplot seems to have disappeared. That was kind of cute/funny.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I guess its to be expected but gosu is no longer being translated since its got an offical release. now to wait 2 years for those to catch up

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That sucks rear end, but it doesn't really change things for me. I was already content to forget about it for a few years until the second part is complete.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the official translation wasn't nearly as good, or particularly good in general.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Jose posted:

So I guess its to be expected but gosu is no longer being translated since its got an offical release. now to wait 2 years for those to catch up

Won't be two years, it'll just be one. We get 2 chapters per week (Sat and Sun) and there's like 80-90 chapters unofficially translated, so yeah. 40 weeks to catch up.

That sucks. How far behind the raws was the unofficial translation? Once they're caught up, I wonder if it'll still be twice-a-week or if the release schedule will be slower.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I can almost guarentee it will be slower once they reach the end of Season 1.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
There wouldn't happen to be a good translation of Knight Run anywhere would there? I've been trying to read it on Naver and it's absolutely impossible to follow with the garbage they're trying to pass off as a proper translation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Eopia posted:

There wouldn't happen to be a good translation of Knight Run anywhere would there? I've been trying to read it on Naver and it's absolutely impossible to follow with the garbage they're trying to pass off as a proper translation.

nope. the fan translation was also really bad most of the time.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm kind of pleased that unordinary is edging closer to its fairly-obvious hosed up police state main plot.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nope. the fan translation was also really bad most of the time.

Given how dense and jargon-heavy the story is in either case, I wouldn't bet against it having been a poorly written mess to begin with.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

edit: The most disappointing thing is how the "Sera (or whoever the white-haired scyth-wielding clan leader is) has a crush on red-haired human guy" subplot seems to have disappeared. That was kind of cute/funny.

Well good news for you, cute/funny subplots return this week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Vampire Date Night