Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They do know there's currently a slave-owning secessionist proto-state that's currently at war right now, right? I mean it wouldn't look good at all to join that cause but I'm sure they'd let them blow themselves up somewhere or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Yeah, this seems pretty bad. :(

I know in my field and a few other very technical/skilled enlisted jobs, the divide between junior enlisted and NCO/SNCOs is really stark. These are the sorts of jobs where somebody can get out after 5-6 years and with no college and go from making less than 30k a year to making six figures with better hours and work environment. Promotions are also slow enough that most people either make corporal right before their 5-year ends, or not at all. It doesn't help that the Marine Corps prioritizes how fast you run and how much you love the Corps over how good you are at your job.

It's gotten to the point where it's a safe bet that an NCO in this field probably has no idea what they're doing.

Basically what this means is that anybody with a modicum of critical thinking or analysis skills gets out as soon as possible because they can make much better money and they don't have to deal with the idiots that fill the higher ranks.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Internet Wizard posted:

The monuments built 50 years after the fact

The monuments specifically built during the Jim Crow era

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
My experience in (loving combat arms wooooo) is a good 80%+ right wing nutjobs. My last unit even had a dude who was at the very least a KKK sympathizer, but I suspect probably had a suspiciously sewn white sheet in his house.

My very first platoon sergeant was a birther, first platoon leader was ferociously right wing and tried to suck any of the Bush's dicks any chance he possibly could. My second last platoon sergeant was a libertarian but not so extreme.

Basically the only dudes I knew that weren't right wing lunatics were brown or black lower enlisted. Or white immigrants.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

I know in my field and a few other very technical/skilled enlisted jobs, the divide between junior enlisted and NCO/SNCOs is really stark. These are the sorts of jobs where somebody can get out after 5-6 years and with no college and go from making less than 30k a year to making six figures with better hours and work environment. Promotions are also slow enough that most people either make corporal right before their 5-year ends, or not at all. It doesn't help that the Marine Corps prioritizes how fast you run and how much you love the Corps over how good you are at your job.

It's gotten to the point where it's a safe bet that an NCO in this field probably has no idea what they're doing.

Basically what this means is that anybody with a modicum of critical thinking or analysis skills gets out as soon as possible because they can make much better money and they don't have to deal with the idiots that fill the higher ranks.

So the military specifically selects for people who have poor analytical skills and are more likely to be fooled by conservative propaganda. gently caress.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Pembroke Fuse posted:

So the military specifically selects for people who have poor analytical skills and are more likely to be fooled by conservative propaganda. gently caress.

no. the military makes your life suck so bad that you stop giving a poo poo about the 5 W's and you only care about the 6th: whiskey.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Figures.

https://twitter.com/yashar/status/897831262332833793

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You've got plenty of smart people in the military. They just abandon ship the first chance they get often enough.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

suboptimal posted:

Ever come back from a nice vacation and find out that work has completely gone to hell in your absence, and the mountain of poo poo you have to climb completely overshadows any relaxation you got while on leave?

Well, a certain public defender in Charlottesville has you beat.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/lawyer-assigned-to-alleged-charlottesville-attacker-does-not-know

Reading that article, the attorney assigned to defend that shitbag is a plaintiff in the lawsuit to remove the Lee statue. I'm not up on my legal definitions but that might be a conflict of interest.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

At this point I'm starting to wonder if my own mother has shady ties to Russia.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Canemacar posted:

At this point I'm starting to wonder if my own mother has shady ties to Russia.

I'm already at the point where I actively refuse to make friends with people with Russian passports. I already have a hundred plus foreign contacts easily, the last thing I need is more from MENA/Russia/China.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What

Only registered members can see post attachments!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Yeah you don't see the Jews clamoring to get the Hitler statue removed or Hitler Highway changed do you crybaby liberals???

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Please reply to this with the story of the Mossad capturing and hanging of Eichmann

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:yum:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Pesticide20 posted:

Please reply to this with the story of the Mossad capturing and hanging of Eichmann

"A reminder we do not forget or forgive"

NSA WIZARD
Jan 20, 2016

:nsa:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Coffeehitler posted:

Reading that article, the attorney assigned to defend that shitbag is a plaintiff in the lawsuit to remove the Lee statue. I'm not up on my legal definitions but that might be a conflict of interest.

Other way around. The attorney (among others) sued to stop the city from removing the statute. But even if he was in favour of the removal, it wouldn't be a conflict.
And it's probably going to be a big surprise to him, because he's not with the public defender's office, he is a private attorney selected by the judge because the public defender had a conflict of interest. ( one of their staff was a victim)

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Lol jesus I love that account.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Vasudus posted:

You've got plenty of smart people in the military. They just abandon ship the first chance they get often enough.

Sorry, when I said that the military selects for people without analytical skill, this is what I meant. I don't doubt that intelligent, analytical people join the military, but are then driven out by the culture.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Wasabi the J posted:

Another cop on my wall who thinks anyone who was at the counter protests deserved to die, as they are "against the government".

Dudes probably a pro 2%er/oath keeper "don't trust the government" libertarian/conservative type too.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Sorry, when I said that the military selects for people without analytical skill, this is what I meant. I don't doubt that intelligent, analytical people join the military, but are then driven out by the culture.

Fick makes a strong argument for the importance of ROTC and other officer recruiting programs at strong liberal arts colleges because of the positive liberalizing influence it would have on the officer corps in his memoirs One Bullet Away. He, too, left the Marines as soon as possible after his experience with First Recon in Iraq.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

FastestGunAlive posted:

Dudes probably a pro 2%er/oath keeper "don't trust the government" libertarian/conservative type too.

They're 3%ers. Get your numbers right you libbered trigflake snowtard.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/AlexCKaufman/status/897855624414986241

#11 of 28 leaves the council

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Don't be a sucker!

Pretty progressive for 1943

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

A Willmar, MN man screamed obscenities at a Somali man at a farmer's market, then threw a pig's foot at him. The best part is that he then made his escape on a wheelchair scooter.

Wasabi the J posted:

Don't be a sucker!

It's from after the war, but yes it's great.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Wasabi the J posted:

Don't be a sucker!

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

suboptimal posted:

Ever come back from a nice vacation and find out that work has completely gone to hell in your absence, and the mountain of poo poo you have to climb completely overshadows any relaxation you got while on leave?

Well, a certain public defender in Charlottesville has you beat.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/lawyer-assigned-to-alleged-charlottesville-attacker-does-not-know

From the comments:

quote:

Weber is a plaintiff in a lawsuit filed in March seeking to halt the council’s decision to remove a statue of Confederate general Robert E. Lee that served as a rallying point for the white supremacist rally. He also manages communications for the Monument Fund, also a plaintiff in the same suit.

Weber is the appointed defence lawyer.

e: way late apparently

Syncopated fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 16, 2017

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Casimir Radon posted:

A Willmar, MN man screamed obscenities at a Somali man at a farmer's market, then threw a pig's foot at him. The best part is that he then made his escape on a wheelchair scooter.

It's from after the war, but yes it's great.

It was made in 1943 and released again in 1947

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

at this point I have literally lost track of the trump scandals / fuckups

Muller is still out there like a wolf in the forest through

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Smiling Jack posted:

at this point I have literally lost track of the trump scandals / fuckups

Muller is still out there like a wolf in the forest through

Gonna laugh when Mueller doesn't actually do anything and Trump gets removed for being insane.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

https://twitter.com/jsellenberg/status/896443928433610753

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Mil culture is definitely a bunch of dick heads, but I still wouldn't worry about the decorative hate squash cancelling elections or anything. The US is super loving vulnerable to a dictatorial take over right now but in a weird way Trump may be the thing that saves us from that happening. Just because I think it would piss him off I compare him to a vaccine. Mostly useless/dead pathogens make the immune system react.

Trump is so loving incompetent that he's basically a cut rate cargo-cult dictator. He sees all the stuff the other guys do and say out loud and puts his own rear end in a top hat spin on it, completely neglecting all the work that lead up to that point. The real guys give their security, Intel and military establishments the sloppiest, most unending blow jobs day in and day out that you can imagine. Ridiculous pay, social superiority, suspension of rules/laws applying to them. Everything.

Trump has........not......done that, and holy loving poo poo balls is he EVER provoking a reaction. If he tries that poo poo things will get messy (ier) but there is nowhere near enough institutional support for him, even among the military, to out right take over.

So I really don't think we need to worry about Trump declaring himself emperor. Not saying just let him go and walk around happy about him being in office because holy gently caress look at him. I'm saying I think the really super dangerous things we need to worry about are elsewhere.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

John Schindler is triggered by all your alt-left invaded Normandy memes.
https://twitter.com/20committee/status/897864402346668032

EDIT: Like, he's not wrong...but it's a dumb hill to fight on right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Handsome Ralph posted:

The Nazis had a poster for this:

Its just another whataboutism. :sad:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

The Nazis had a poster for this:

Its just another whataboutism. :sad:

I find this more frightening than the Cloverfield monster.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Handsome Ralph posted:

The dumb hill to fight on was the one on which the nazis tried stepping to the late Senator Daniel "HOLY gently caress" Inouye.

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
The Neo-Nazi from the vice documentary is now crying like a bitch because there maybe a warrant for him. Listen to this Nazi whine

E: Trump just killed his business councils because everyone is pulling out. LOL so much winning.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Aaaaaahahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/897870800505774080

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/897867963591774208