Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

My idea of helping people.
I cant find any of the bonus stage rings :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

da anime bulldog posted:

I cant find any of the bonus stage rings :(

Higher paths seem to have more of them. I'd just explore the different routes through a level to find them.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Vargatron posted:

Higher paths seem to have more of them. I'd just explore the different routes through a level to find them.

They're also frequently behind little level gimmicks that take conscious effort to skip, like in paths under elevators in Oil Ocean. There's also one in Lava Reef that's behind a wall near one of those spike crushers you're supposed to ride up.

Though honestly, the ones in GHZ are easy to farm if you're not committed to one running the emeralds. ~40-50 seconds to the giant ring per attempt depending on how much you mess up the speedrun. (I'm pretty sure you can get there in like 30 seconds but it requires more practice than I've done)

Appropriately, they seem easier to find as Knuckles, and appear more often on Knuckles paths.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I wonder if there's anything hidden in the DA garden this time.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I love that Knuckle's (zone/area spoilers) Lava Reef 2 ends up in the Hidden Palace emerald chamber, with broken stone super emeralds, and the boss is channeling Super Mecha Sonic. Does anyone know if the master emerald glows if you've collected all the chaos emeralds? That'd be interesting since they use the modern/super emerald cut instead of the traditional chaos emerald cut.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Had something weird happen trying to get the fifth emerald hit mach 2 and was about to jump over gap near the spinning spikes that the UFO usually goes over and the UFO just turned around and I got the emerald. :confuoot:

Also do I need to clear the level for to keep the emerald?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Why is Sonic chasing a UFO anyway

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

irlZaphod posted:

He wants to believe

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Linear Zoetrope posted:

They're also frequently behind little level gimmicks that take conscious effort to skip, like in paths under elevators in Oil Ocean. There's also one in Lava Reef that's behind a wall near one of those spike crushers you're supposed to ride up.

That one was in the original S3&K.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

axeil posted:

That one was in the original S3&K.

Yeah, I was just giving examples of the sorts of places to look. I had a hell of a time finding some of them on my first playthrough though.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Did anyone figure out what the coolness score is for?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know at the very least you get a few thousand coolness by not getting hit. I'd guess there are a variety of bonus criteria. Perhaps not hitting a dead stop by running into a wall and other things might factor in? There could also be a perfect bonus like in Sonic 2 that gets filed under there?

I consistently get (I think) 5000 coolness on Green Hill 1 by not getting hit, and at least once I got 7000, but I couldn't tell you what triggered the extra 2000.

I also have a conspiracy theory that there may be ways to get small amounts of coolness by triggering the victory jump in certain locations or at certain speeds, but I can't prove it.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Frankston posted:

it's how cool you are

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

Had something weird happen trying to get the fifth emerald hit mach 2 and was about to jump over gap near the spinning spikes that the UFO usually goes over and the UFO just turned around and I got the emerald. :confuoot:

Also do I need to clear the level for to keep the emerald?

no, as soon as you get the emerald it is yours forever

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

How do you beat the FP1 boss other than by cheesing invincibility frames?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Kelp Plankton posted:

it's how cool you are

A-mei-zing post/avatar combo.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oh, huh, you can get to Knuckles' GHZ giant ring as Sonic by glitching through geometry. Good ol' Sonic collision glitches. It's only slightly faster than the normal one, but it's still cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ppjdXg8AH4

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

So if you let the opening play a second time, new music plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBbFOHYYaDU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

irlZaphod posted:

It's a reference to unused sprites in S3&K. It's a reference most people won't get unless they frequent TCRF

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Huh I thought the UFO special stage was just a reference to Sonic CD's special stages Since there's basically elements from all special stages in there.

Also, is it just me or are speed shoes kind of rare? I think the first I found was on a replay. Also, there's speed shoe music rather then sped up level music, game is ruined.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think it's more a reference to sonic CD's special stages

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's a reference to unused sprites in S3&K. It's a reference most people won't get unless they frequent TCRF
I want someone to fully document this game's references because I feel like I only got like 5% of them despite having Sonic in my life for like 25 years

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Pretty sure it's a reference to Sonic CD's special stages, where you chase around UFOs. There are no unused UFO sprites in S3K, unless you were talking about the scrapped UFOs in the background of Marble Zone in S1?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So if you turn Super Sonic and manage to catch tails for a ride during the transformation animation, you turn Super Sonic, but don't change colour.

So yes, in TYOOL 2017, you now have Super Sonic Blue.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Frankston posted:

I think it's for avoiding damage

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So if you turn Super Sonic and manage to catch tails for a ride during the transformation animation, you turn Super Sonic, but don't change colour.

So yes, in TYOOL 2017, you now have Super Sonic Blue.

So... is Knuckles Super Knuckles Rose?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I love it how the character animations just ooze personality.

In a few cutscenes Tails is getting all scared but Sonic just looks unphased or straight up annoyed. Sonic actually has an attitude in this game. Half the time Knuckles looks really confused and dense as a brick which is how he should. Robotnik gestures angrily and cackles with evil delight. Even in his brief appearance, Metal Sonic is shown to be really sassy.

Modern Sonic feels like such a goody-two-shoes who sometimes just makes sarcastic remarks. If you go by the cartoons and comics, classic Sonic was kind of a dick. Especially in AoStH, the British comic and the Sonic OVA.

I feel like Sonic is best portrayed as a rude, cynical jerk that's borderline criminal who none the less has a heart of gold deep down. That's basically the same character archetype as Han Solo or Lupin the Third. If they made a new Sonic cartoon where he was a thief treasure hunter, that would be a pretty good fit, especially with the Chaos Emeralds and all.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

wuggles posted:

When it hits certain boxes it's blade breaks leaving it vulnerable.

That's what it is doing when it shows up.

Wait nevermind got the zone acronyms mixed up what is FP zone?

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 16, 2017

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

Also, is it just me or are speed shoes kind of rare? I think the first I found was on a replay. Also, there's speed shoe music rather then sped up level music, game is ruined.

I found a pair in FBZ that was behind a gate, and I think that was it. Has anyone else noticed that the invincibility boxes are in places where it goes to waste? A lot of the ones I've found like in FBZ and PBZ have all been with platforming challenges, with barely any enemies. So either placement is weird or I'm going through levels weridly, probably the second.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

PenguinKnight posted:

I found a pair in FBZ that was behind a gate, and I think that was it. Has anyone else noticed that the invincibility boxes are in places where it goes to waste? A lot of the ones I've found like in FBZ and PBZ have all been with platforming challenges, with barely any enemies. So either placement is weird or I'm going through levels weridly, probably the second.

I found an invincibility box that let me cross lava and a gauntlet of exploding enemies to get to a big ring in LRZ, and there's one in GHZ Act 1 on a lower path that you can get right before the boss. Some might be placed oddly, but there's deinfitely some really delibertely placed ones.

Also, in GHZ, there's a fire shield shortly after one of the wooden spikey spinning things, back tracking to burn it down gets you a bunch of monitors.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

I love it how the character animations just ooze personality.

In a few cutscenes Tails is getting all scared but Sonic just looks unphased or straight up annoyed. Sonic actually has an attitude in this game. Half the time Knuckles looks really confused and dense as a brick which is how he should. Robotnik gestures angrily and cackles with evil delight. Even in his brief appearance, Metal Sonic is shown to be really sassy.

Someone please gif Knuckles's reaction to the Heavy Commander stealing the Master Emerald.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Gammatron 64 posted:

I feel like Sonic is best portrayed as a rude, cynical jerk that's borderline criminal who none the less has a heart of gold deep down. That's basically the same character archetype as Han Solo or Lupin the Third. If they made a new Sonic cartoon where he was a thief treasure hunter, that would be a pretty good fit, especially with the Chaos Emeralds and all.

Are you fishing for a job with IDW?

Sadly, it would all but guarantee more trips to loving water temples.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My package is sitting in the local post office less than a Mile from me, but they won't let me come pick it up.

And the CE is so large I'll probably need to go pick it up tomorrow anyway.
:argh:

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

wuggles posted:

Pretty sure that's how Sonic boss battles have been since forever.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Played through the game with Sonic & Tails yesterday, liked it a lot, still need to go back to finish the emeralds and do a Knuckles run.

Has it always been this easy to retain your last ring indefinitely? I might just be remembering this wrong but I thought in the Genesis Sonics your last ring would vanish very quickly after you were hit a couple times with it.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

hcreight posted:

Played through the game with Sonic & Tails yesterday, liked it a lot, still need to go back to finish the emeralds and do a Knuckles run.

Has it always been this easy to retain your last ring indefinitely? I might just be remembering this wrong but I thought in the Genesis Sonics your last ring would vanish very quickly after you were hit a couple times with it.

It's definitely changed. It used to be when you got hit repeatedly in a short span of time (or perhaps with only ejected rings, I don't know the exact conditions) your rings would fly increasingly more quickly. It seems like they removed that in Mania so whenever you get hit the ejected rings behave the same way.

E: Oh boy, if you time over in any of the wings of the chamber of Titanic Monarch of Act 2 that leads to the boss, all the ones you've completed reset.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 16, 2017

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i decided to give time attack a go and tried for a best time on GHZ Act 1. i think i was somewhere around a minute and was feeling pretty good, until i saw the top time was 30 seconds.

i'm now down to 35 seconds :getin:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's what Super Tails and Knuckles have always looked like, and Sega has been pretty clear that they want Super Sonic and the other hedgehogs as the only character whose super modes are canon and unique looking.

From a page back, but I wanted to gripe about this. This is one of the things about modern sonic that annoys me the most. It wouldn't even be so bad if it was just "Sonic goes super sonic to save the day" / sonic gets a bonus stage as super sonic, but the whole "hedgehogs are special and are the only ones who can do things with the chaos emeralds" is dumb and annoying. Plus, where's Super Amy?

Let Tails and Knuckles be cool and important! They've been around longer then Shadow and Silver.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

From a page back, but I wanted to gripe about this. This is one of the things about modern sonic that annoys me the most. It wouldn't even be so bad if it was just "Sonic goes super sonic to save the day" / sonic gets a bonus stage as super sonic, but the whole "hedgehogs are special and are the only ones who can do things with the chaos emeralds" is dumb and annoying. Plus, where's Super Amy?

Let Tails and Knuckles be cool and important! They've been around longer then Shadow and Silver.

Yeah I think this is one of the things that miffed me about Sonic Heroes. TEAM SONIC uses the chaos emeralds to fight a giant monster version of Metal Sonic, but only Sonic actually gets to go super, Tails and Knuckles just get lovely shields, despite them actually having super forms. And in SA2 Sonic and Shadow use the emeralds at the same time, so it's not like they haven't done that before :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Super Tails and Super Knuckles were just them flashing to a color somewhat different from their main ones. They don't get a changed appearance like Super Sonic or anything. Tails couldn't even use the normal emeralds. They've always been treated as "lesser" than Super Sonic, it's not just a modern Sonic thing.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 16, 2017