Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

lezard_valeth posted:

They made the right call this time. The dragon dieing really teared me up a bit even though a) I knew it was coming and b) it's fantasy CGI. Had they killed another minor good character like Tormund or the Hound, the dragon dieing shortly after would have overshadowed it, and that is no fitting way to off the Hound or Tormund Giantsbane :colbert:

We haven't gotten Cleganebowl yet, so The Hound can't die. Besides, he's going to end up with Brienne and they will have many very, very tall children.

I'm actually really, really surprised that Beric survived. What exactly is his place going to be in the story moving forward?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

grack posted:

I'm actually really, really surprised that Beric survived. What exactly is his place going to be in the story moving forward?

Spiritual leader maybe? The red god is the only one that the story has shown to have any legitimacy, and Thoros is dead, and Melisandre has pledged to die.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

the way the ice javelin flies like 3,000 feet wobbling weirdly after being thrown looks goofy, they should have added a bunch of CGI sparkles and made it more obviously magical.

Some something like

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

grack posted:

He comes back as the devil who restores order to the corrupt town after a crazed shaman performs ritual human sacrifice in order to purge the town of said devil.

Oliver Reed
Mar 18, 2014

Good episode. The banter between the Hound and Tormund is hilarious: "Dick..I like it." "I bet you do."

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I had a lot of thoughts I dumped in The Bad Thread when I was high last night and I'm too lazy to type them again:

esperterra posted:

The leaked episode six is pretty good, but has some stupid poo poo in it. I enjoyed it very much.

Also they really can't expect us to believe the writers are actually imagining all the travel is spaced out over long stretches of time we just don't see between scenes. Gendry teleports back to Eastwatch, sends a distress raven to Dany on Dragonstone, who then flies up to the wall in time to save the day. All while Jon's D&D group is stuck on a tiny spot with like no provisions or heat while surrounded by an army of the dead.

Sure, she's going by dragon but that's still a long loving way to go, even if you don't factor in the time Gendry takes to get back to the wall to send a raven, and the trip the raven has to take down south.

Complaining about the fast travel points is lame, yes. But the only reason it bothers me is the writing not backing up that passage of time. Jon and Dany have spent, at the very least, weeks together if not a month+, but all their conversations this season has been bland exposition, or reminding the viewers of poo poo we already know. So it just feels like they've had a casual business relationship for a few days. Same with Winterfell for me, as well, though to a lesser extent b/c.

At least Bran, Sansa and Arya have either had a bad relationship the last time they were together, before they went through some hosed up poo poo on their own, or have turned into a robot. It makes sense for them to not have normal conversations off screen b/c of this, even if I personally don't buy it.

There are a lot of things I love about this season. The stuff they've come up with is much better than the last two or three seasons, and they've had to return to the book well to start explaining important poo poo they should have explained throughout the series.

I think the biggest problem is going into the final two, short!, seasons with an ensemble cast that has largely spent no time together in the past 6 years of the show. It's a bunch of characters who we've wanted to reunite with one another, or finally meet one another, since the first book and season. And instead of having them interact character to character, we're largely getting scenes that only exist to hit story beats, via aforementioned exposition dumps and unnatural feeling circumstances, because there's a lot of ground to cover and only like 15 episodes to do it in.

It's a loving shame.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The whole first half was the fellowship exchanging banter in such a way that they wanted you to think they were going to die. That was pretty obvious.

And creepy Arya and the forced conflict was annoying.

But apart from that, noice.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

lmao "Yo Gendry, my man, we are being attacked by some pretty bad hombres here in this very instance. Be a sport and run back to Eastwatch, send a letter to Danny and tell her to get her rear end over here. Tell her to take the earliest flight possible. Will hold them off till tomorrow."

I swear the writers are now loving with us, no way this is not deliberate. Even the absolute Idon'tgiveasinglefuck solution of just giving her a prophetic dream or a vision in the fire or something would have been a million times better.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

They should have established Bran as the official carrier of Westeros and have him be middle man to conversations done via tree.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Seph posted:

They showed two days pass on screen. The exact amount of time it would have taken Dany to get there.

Unless I missed another day/night transition, they only spend a night on the rock and the dead start crossing the lake again that morning.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Captain Splendid posted:

The whole first half was the fellowship exchanging banter in such a way that they wanted you to think they were going to die. That was pretty obvious.

And creepy Arya and the forced conflict was annoying.

But apart from that, noice.

Yeah Arya taking Littlefinger's bait is annoying to watch. That being said she is an angsty teen orphan with murderous tendencies, so in that context her actions make a bit more sense. She's clearly jealous of Sansa's beauty and elegance on some level and now she has the power to do something about it.

Also, re: time chat, Sansa literally said "It's been weeks since I've heard anything from Jon" implying that he's been gone for months. The writers are giving deliberate clues that it's been a lot of time and people are willfully ignoring them (or just retarded).

Seph fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 16, 2017

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
This Ep did remind me of "Why didn't they just fly an eagle to Mount Doom to begin with?"

Why didn't they just fly a dragon over the wall to catch a wight to begin with?

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

qbert posted:

This Ep did remind me of "Why didn't they just fly an eagle to Mount Doom to begin with?"

Because Danaerys didn't initially want to commit that hard to the idea of the Night King as the greater foe?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
That's an even dumber question than the one about the eagles honestly, the whole reason they are out to find a wight is because the lady with the dragons didn't believe they were real enough to give a poo poo about. Except in this episode she changes her mind because uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think everyone knows time is passing. My problem is it not being reflected in the writing. Jon and Dany have spent a month together and it feels like their only conversations have been the 4 or so we've seen.

Plus the whole overnight raven to Dragonstone from the wall and Dany flying up past the wall was a bit much for a show that wants us to think time has any meaning.

My thing is either a. have time passed reflect in the writing or b. stop acting like this season has spanned a month or two+.

It's not the end of the world, but it's fun to bitch about.

e: ^^^ fwiw they're catching a wight to convince Cersei, not Dany.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
She wants to impress her nephew before she bones him.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Why would they care?

i would imagine its annoying to have people steal something you've worked on and toiled over for months

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Rygar201 posted:

Because Danaerys didn't initially want to commit that hard to the idea of the Night King as the greater foe?

That totally made sense at the time until she changed her mind completely based on no evidence but a letter from the Wall?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Seph posted:

Yeah Arya taking Littlefinger's bait is annoying to watch. That being said she is an angsty teen orphan with murderous tendencies, so in that context her motivations make sense. She's clearly jealous of Sansa's beauty and elegance on some level and now she has the power to do something about it.

Also, re: time chat, Sansa literally said "It's been weeks since I've heard anything from Jon" implying that he's been gone for months. The writers are giving deliberate clues that it's been a lot of time and people are willfully ignoring them (or just retarded).

If it has been months, why did they wait so long to tell Jon that Bran and Arya are alive? You can't spin your way out of this lovely writing, braver and smarter man than you and me have tried and failed at this.

I kinda get where they were going with the Arya plot. After all, Sansa was directly responsible for Ned's death and it could plausibly cause tension between them. Arya is also just plain paranoid and psychotic now. But it's not very well done and her actor can't really pull it off. (Sansa's actor is doing fine though IMO)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maybe HBO Spain shouldn't have accidentally aired it, then. This time it was 100% them and not on the hackers.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

esperterra posted:

I think everyone knows time is passing. My problem is it not being reflected in the writing. Jon and Dany have spent a month together and it feels like their only conversations have been the 4 or so we've seen.

IMO that's not fair. I think Jon and Dany have clearly become closer each time they interact with each other. The first scene together they are tense, feeling each other out, refusing to acknowledge the other's request, and generally contrary to each other. You can see the trust grow between them as Dany starts to ask Jon what he would do, let him mine the dragon glass, etc. It then turned into romantic tension last episode which paid off this episode during the boat scene.

Seph fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 16, 2017

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
They really should've emphasized how flying that far that quickly took its toll on Dany and the dragons. She should've looked like she spent a red eye flight in a wind turbine, and her dragons should have been loving exhausted. Have Jon or Jorah or whoever mention how sluggish they're moving, and then bam, Night King nails the slow moving Viserion with the ice javelin.

Instead Dany looks like she just stepped out of hair and makeup, and the dragons are none the worse for wear.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

qbert posted:

She tells Jon on the boat that she had to see it to know how grave a threat it really is

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
I'm just glad that the last conversation between Jon and Daenerys made sense. This episode was really the first time since they've met that Jon actually saw the side of Dany that all of her advisors talked about - she was willing to make a great personal sacrifice to save his life and didn't regret doing so. It makes perfect sense that Jon was willing to pledge his allegiance after all that.

I still don't think Clarke and Harrington have a lot of chemistry but at least it was better.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

They really should've emphasized how flying that far that quickly took its toll on Dany and the dragons. She should've looked like she spent a red eye flight in a wind turbine, and her dragons should have been loving exhausted. Have Jon or Jorah or whoever mention how sluggish they're moving, and then bam, Night King nails the slow moving Viserion with the ice javelin.

Instead Dany looks like she just stepped out of hair and makeup, and the dragons are none the worse for wear.

If they were gonna be that realistic she would've died from exposure shortly after takeoff.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

In It For The Tank posted:

Agreed. Similarly the magnificent seven looked pretty good after spending a night in the cold surrounded by a frozen lake and thousands of zombies (except Thoros).

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I kinda get where they were going with the Arya plot. After all, Sansa was directly responsible for Ned's death and it could plausibly cause tension between them. Arya is also just plain paranoid and psychotic now. But it's not very well done and her actor can't really pull it off. (Sansa's actor is doing fine though IMO)

Yeah, at least the miscommunications and nonsense in Winterfell I can buy b/c it's two highly traumatized girls and a robot, so sure they haven't had many chats in the weeks or months they've been reunited. It's stupid af but it does at least have a decent explanation.

Agreed Sophie Turner is doing some good work here, too. Maisie was ... fine, but the character is acting so petulant and stupid.

There's something really dirty about the writers turning a moment of shared trauma they could have bonded over (both being there when Ned lost his head) into a really awkward reason for Arya to yell at Sansa, all so the audience believes Littlefinger is playing them, before the sisters kill him next week.

In other news I liked the scene where Sansa sends Brienne away, which I'd hope is exactly why she said (she's not walking back into Cersei's hands, and what would the lords of Winterfell do if she left her seat? They're already antsy about Jon leaving to get allies, I can't see them being happy about Sansa leaving to meet with Lannisters) and not just because Littlefinger implied Brienne will protect Arya.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Seph posted:

IMO that's not fair. I think Jon and Dany have clearly become closer each time they interact with each other. The first scene together they are tense, feeling each other out, refusing to acknowledge the other's request, and generally contrary to each other. You can see the trust grow between them as Dany starts to ask Jon what he would do, let him mine the dragon glass, etc. It then turned into romantic tension last episode which paid off this episode during the boat scene.

I just don't see it. Other than, maybe, that awful scene in the cave, I don't buy that these two have interacted enough to grow fond of one another in the four or however episodes they've been on Dragonstone.

The scene in this episode was a step up and did more legwork than the season combined to make me believe they have any sort of platonic connection, let alone a romantic one.

The scene where Jon pets Drogon was a decent one, too. There was barely any dialogue so they weren't expositing at one another.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What I dont understand is why Jon was all that time in Dragonstone when, considering the travel times, he could be back for dinner at Winterfell every night to keep those big lordly babies happy with their king being there form them

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I mean at this point its already established that we have a waypoint portal near each capital

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Constant posted:

She tells Jon on the boat that she had to see it to know how grave a threat it really is

What better way to "see it to know" than to pilot the mission in the first place?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

qbert posted:

What better way to "see it to know" than to pilot the mission in the first place?

she didnt think it was that big a deal until they sent a message saying: hey uh..we're surrounded and about to die up here

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Constant posted:

i would imagine its annoying to have people steal something you've worked on and toiled over for months

You realize they get paid the same either way, right? And HBO brags about how much GoT gets pirated?

They just want people to watch the show. They don't care how as long as they're making money. It's the executives at HBO who care about poo poo like early leaks.

esperterra posted:

There's something really dirty about the writers turning a moment of shared trauma they could have bonded over (both being there when Ned lost his head) into a really awkward reason for Arya to yell at Sansa, all so the audience believes Littlefinger is playing them, before the sisters kill him next week.

:agreed:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

WampaLord posted:

You realize they get paid the same either way, right? And HBO brags about how much GoT gets pirated?

They just want people to watch the show. They don't care how as long as they're making money. It's the executives at HBO who care about poo poo like early leaks.

:agreed:

I have an obscene interest in how high powered bigwigs talk to each other when one or the other fucks up

I really hope they reconcile the fact that this was a prepared trap and:

1. How did the NK know of the existence of dragons?
2. How did he know of the expedition and the groups possible ties to dragons?

I think the NK been warging into Bran this whole time and thats why his personality is so hosed.

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Constant posted:

she didnt think it was that big a deal until they sent a message saying: hey uh..we're surrounded and about to die up here

Also Tyrion told her that Jon wanted to bone her, which she had not noticed, and is a complete game changer

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Constant posted:

Magic.

Constant posted:

Magic.

Constant posted:

I think the NK been warging into Bran this whole time and thats why his personality is so hosed.

Isn't that literally what happened in Harry Potter 5?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Constant posted:

They didn't though, they send a message that they were under attack. The whole scenario where they discover an itzy bitzy tiny island, surrounded by extremely thin ice that only brakes once, but never twice when people walk over it is so loving ridiculous that nobody could have ever foreseen it. There is absolutely no reason to send Gendry on a trip around the world, unless you have read the script.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Constant posted:

I have an obscene interest in how high powered bigwigs talk to each other when one or the other fucks up

I really hope they reconcile the fact that this was a prepared trap and:

I didn't get the impression that it was a pre-planned trap by the white walkers. I thought they were staying far away from the action because they know they are vulnerable now and want to stay safe. Similar to commanders who often stay behind their troops in battle.

Yes they had the spear but maybe it's just a generic magic spear and not something specific to dragons?

It's definitely possible it was a trap but I don't buy it 100% without more evidence.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I can already tell what will be the Goony Derail Point for this episode.

How loving fast are ravens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

WampaLord posted:

I can already tell what will be the Goony Derail Point for this episode.

How loving fast are ravens?

Frozen lakes don't work that way

• Locked thread