Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Raged posted:

Couple questions.

What is a good level to start mapping?

Do you map solo or as a group?

Is it really important to level up masters past lvl 3 and do I really need to craft if I don't want to?

If you have near-capped resists and some actual health pool go for it

Depends on your build, mood, and patience

No, they're mostly there to fill in gaps or to help you achieve things faster/more reliably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Raged posted:

Is it really important to level up masters past lvl 3 and do I really need to craft if I don't want to?
You can just buy all your gear from other players if you want to. But leveling Vorici and Zana in particular is very good since it means you can buy gear without the "correct" sockets you need and fix the stuff you buy yourself with Vorici's crafting station. Zana will just make your map runs straight up more profitable the more you level her. The other masters' enchantments are good too so personally I'd recommend doing it but if it's somehow like pulling nails then no, it's not mandatory.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Foxhound posted:

You can just buy all your gear from other players if you want to. But leveling Vorici and Zana in particular is very good since it means you can buy gear without the "correct" sockets you need and fix the stuff you buy yourself with Vorici's crafting station. Zana will just make your map runs straight up more profitable the more you level her. The other masters' enchantments are good too so personally I'd recommend doing it but if it's somehow like pulling nails then no, it's not mandatory.

And if you trust them, other people can enchant your gear for you through their masters.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You can still invite all masters to your hideout once you take a master to level 7, correct?

Also, I remember they made a few changes to hideouts in 3.0, regarding the way they function, but I can't seem to find anything about it. Were they always shared between characters of a same league?

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
What graphics UI mod makes your items appear like that? I like that it gives the total resist, total life at the bottom of the cell.

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
isnt that just poe.trade

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Can that just be in game yet? Guessing the prefixes and suffixes on your items and what tier they may be is lame as dirt. You have whole mechanics centered around these details, but don't expose them!

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Azran posted:

You can still invite all masters to your hideout once you take a master to level 7, correct?

yes, if you have that masters hideout

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Trademacro has a shortcut for that. Phone posting so I forget the keys, but it'll show you mod tiers and total and such. Well worth a download.

nerox
May 20, 2001

pork never goes bad posted:

Trademacro has a shortcut for that. Phone posting so I forget the keys, but it'll show you mod tiers and total and such. Well worth a download.

That's true, but it is one of those things holding alt should really tell you with the default interface like item level.

I love PoE, but when I play it I have about 6-7 tabs open on my second browser just to do things I wish I could do in game.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

pork never goes bad posted:

That is still inadequate and apparently wrong at the moment. Why doesn't it work out the prefix/suffix contributions from combined stats light %energy-shield? Majority of the time it is certain what the value ranges are for each if you do a tiny bit of math.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sillybones posted:

That is still inadequate and apparently wrong at the moment. Why doesn't it work out the prefix/suffix contributions from combined stats light %energy-shield? Majority of the time it is certain what the value ranges are for each if you do a tiny bit of math.

Majority of time it is right, and distinguishing between hybrids, essences, and poo poo is not all that straightforward.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Boy, Masters sure start popping up in funny places once you get into maps. That's fine on itself, it's just extra funny when they bring architecture with them into entirely unfitting locales. Case in point:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I love that guy, "I know you are busy trying to save the world and all but can we just have a quick scrap in this arena I brought?"

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Other masters want to reduce the corruption in this land. Me? I just want to beat the poo poo out of people and sell them a bunch of pieces of dead bodies for their home.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Azran posted:

Also, I remember they made a few changes to hideouts in 3.0, regarding the way they function, but I can't seem to find anything about it. Were they always shared between characters of a same league?

That's always been the case. The major change is that their benches become available as soon as they hit level 2, no need to invite them in first.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN74j6jE9V0

mathil just posted a guide on how to level a wander, so rip everyone who's rolling a wander and haven't bought their good gear yet I guess

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
when you're on your 900th map and zana goes "still sane exile?"

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

nerox posted:

Should I map at 64 or grind out a few levels? I did a crystal ore map and it looked like my xp was barely moving.

Confirmation bias. The safe zone for exp is 3 + (Characterlevel/16) rounded down. So at 64 it's 7, thus you get full exp from monsters level 57 to 71. Do note that once you get past tier 3 maps the actual monster level is slightly below what's listed (for purposes of exp gain) when you have the minimap up. Tier 14 map will list level as 81but will actually be 77.04. Look at the Experience page on wiki for more details.

Edit: jesus math is hard

Valle fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 16, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

lalaland posted:

isnt that just poe.trade

poeprices.info will do the important bits of that (telling prefix, suffix values, totalling related stats) without requiring that you post an item and then search for it once again. Take its value predictions with a grain of salt, but it does save a couple steps.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Man my Flame Totem Chieftan has just flown off the rails once I was able to throw on the Shire of Shards and got my Cruel Lab done. Having 1% Fire Damage and 1% Totem Damage Life Leech just makes me drat near invincible on top of a lot of passive regen. Things melt while I run around laughing as my health never drops. I basically don't even need Searing Bond for anything other than rare/unique mobs and bosses but it does amazing damage for those single target situations.

Being tanky as hell is a wonderful feeling after my botched witch who had a habit of spontaneous combustion. :unsmigghh:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Sorry for the basic questions, but I'm starting from scratch (played a long time ago) and a Vaal orb dropped for my lvl 16 guy. Am I correct in thinking I can parlay this into buying most of the equipment I need? Which of the trading sites/features would be best for swapping it for Exalts, and is poeex.info more or less accurate WRT currency prices?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Mozi posted:

Sorry for the basic questions, but I'm starting from scratch (played a long time ago) and a Vaal orb dropped for my lvl 16 guy. Am I correct in thinking I can parlay this into buying most of the equipment I need? Which of the trading sites/features would be best for swapping it for Exalts, and is poeex.info more or less accurate WRT currency prices?

A Vaal orb is roughly equal to one Chaos, or about 1/40th of an exalt.

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
I'm at a crossroad right now. I've been playing a life SRS build and feel I am at the point where I either need to invest some currency in the build or move on to something else.

The goal I have for this build is to either run uber labs or run maps somewhat quickly so I can make some currency this league.

According to PoB my SRS minion damage is just below 7k. What I don't understand, is that 7k per SRS or 7k once I hit 20 heads?

If it is 7k per head, what can I do to my build besides getting a 6L +2 staff, Grip of the Council gloves (which I don't get how they help), and leveling my gems up? Which will cost some currency.

Thanks!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Mozi posted:

That site is completely out of date, it shows Prophecy as the current league.

Use poe.ninja to track currency prices, or just the currency section on poe.trade. But as the person up there said, Vaal Orbs are not worth very much.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Aw nuts.

Thanks though!

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Fixit posted:

I'm at a crossroad right now. I've been playing a life SRS build and feel I am at the point where I either need to invest some currency in the build or move on to something else.

The goal I have for this build is to either run uber labs or run maps somewhat quickly so I can make some currency this league.

According to PoB my SRS minion damage is just below 7k. What I don't understand, is that 7k per SRS or 7k once I hit 20 heads?

If it is 7k per head, what can I do to my build besides getting a 6L +2 staff, Grip of the Council gloves (which I don't get how they help), and leveling my gems up? Which will cost some currency.

Thanks!

7k per skull
You don't see how "Minions gain 20% of Physical Damage as Extra Cold Damage" helps?
Swap out Melee Splash for Multistrike on bosses

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

whypick1 posted:

7k per skull
You don't see how "Minions gain 20% of Physical Damage as Extra Cold Damage" helps?
Swap out Melee Splash for Multistrike on bosses

I thought the speed reduction was a big loss. If the mobs are running around and the heads can't catch up how will they do damage?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Yeah but its not much reduction and you should have speed from quality on the srs gem and possibly the minion speed support gem. I think you can roll it on jewelry too.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Also Flesh Offering. The speed penalty from Grip is negligible at that point.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
If you're using flesh offering your minions will still have net positive movement speed, or a single piece of minion speed gear

also SRS are pretty fast

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010
Ok. So will look at prices for the gloves tonight and make the switch.

What should go in the 6L +2 fire staff that I'm missing. I was thinking of multi strike but if I should swap that out with melee splash not sure what to put in there. Added fire damage?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Fixit posted:

Thanks!

Your skill tree is just fine, but you're right about being at the point where you're going to need to invest some currency to progress. Fortunately there are a couple of pretty inexpensive things you can do that will help quite a bit.

Here's what I'd do to tune up your damage while keeping things relatively cheap:

1) Buy a set of the dark mage cards (2c each, 6 needed total for the set), to get a 6link staff. 12c
2) Buy 3 screaming essences of rage and vendor them to make a shrieking essence. 3c
3) Use this essence on your staff to make it a +2 fire staff.

Check the staff and make sure it does NOT have added cold or fire damage to spells on it. If it does, go back to step 2 and use another essence on the staff to make another +2 staff. You can't have added cold/fire damage to spells anywhere on your gear, or else when you cast ball lightning to trigger EE then you're just adding those resistances to the target and hurting your SRS damage. Note that if it just says "added x-y cold damage" without specifically mentioning spells, that is OK since you aren't attacking.

If you have a usable staff, then you can check if it has an open prefix slot. If it does, you can use a level 7 vagan to put blood magic on it for 2 divine orbs. Technically this is optional, but if you don't do this you'll have to use blood magic as one of the 6 links. I'd really try to make a staff with blood magic on it so you can use all 6 links for damage. Use "elemental damage with attacks" as the 6th link. On bosses that don't spawn adds, swap in multistrike for melee splash. Way down the line if you stick with the build and get a +3 staff you'll want an empower, but worry about that later.

Get a haste gem and run haste. This will reserve almost all of your mana, hence the need to cast SRS via blood magic. But haste makes the build feel much smoother and will help your damage and help you get more SRS out faster. Don't link it to generosity, as you want the cast and move speed for yourself as well.

If you do all that, you'll get an extra gem level, a 6th link, and haste aura for the cost of 15-20c and 2 divine orbs. Really drat cost effective all considered. After that, get grips of the council which are another mini-hatred effect for your srs. Those gloves are like 18-20c or so right now. The speed reduction on them is barely noticeable.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fixit posted:

I thought the speed reduction was a big loss. If the mobs are running around and the heads can't catch up how will they do damage?

maybe i'm just missing something that the super-pros do but melee splash has never worked out as a gem for me on srs. you have so many skulls that making them each better at single target ends up with roughly similar clear speed without the lowered damage on bosses.

also your skulls should be much, much faster than any mob with minion speed and flesh offering

additionally, you're stacking strength on your passive tree but you don't have a baron helm. if you aren't intending to use a baron you build srs a lot differently, picking up nodes like death attunement and grave intentions.

also also, you're not using any minions other than your srs. that flameblast totem is way less powerful than raise zombie-minion damage-minion speed-multistrike with two violent dead jewels (which should be easy to place, you have two jewel slots within 2 points each on your current tree) would be, given that you have lots of minion-boosting stuff and no fire or totem boosting stuff.

you are correct that your current strategy is going to be hard to take further without serious investment, but changing your skills somewhat could do a lot for you relatively inexpensively

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Aug 16, 2017

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

J posted:

Your skill tree is just fine, but you're right about being at the point where you're going to need to invest some currency to progress. Fortunately there are a couple of pretty inexpensive things you can do that will help quite a bit.

Here's what I'd do to tune up your damage while keeping things relatively cheap:

1) Buy a set of the dark mage cards (2c each, 6 needed total for the set), to get a 6link staff. 12c
2) Buy 3 screaming essences of rage and vendor them to make a shrieking essence. 3c
3) Use this essence on your staff to make it a +2 fire staff.

Check the staff and make sure it does NOT have added cold or fire damage to spells on it. If it does, go back to step 2 and use another essence on the staff to make another +2 staff. You can't have added cold/fire damage to spells anywhere on your gear, or else when you cast ball lightning to trigger EE then you're just adding those resistances to the target and hurting your SRS damage. Note that if it just says "added x-y cold damage" without specifically mentioning spells, that is OK since you aren't attacking.

If you have a usable staff, then you can check if it has an open prefix slot. If it does, you can use a level 7 vagan to put blood magic on it for 2 divine orbs. Technically this is optional, but if you don't do this you'll have to use blood magic as one of the 6 links. I'd really try to make a staff with blood magic on it so you can use all 6 links for damage. Use "elemental damage with attacks" as the 6th link. On bosses that don't spawn adds, swap in multistrike for melee splash. Way down the line if you stick with the build and get a +3 staff you'll want an empower, but worry about that later.

Get a haste gem and run haste. This will reserve almost all of your mana, hence the need to cast SRS via blood magic. But haste makes the build feel much smoother and will help your damage and help you get more SRS out faster. Don't link it to generosity, as you want the cast and move speed for yourself as well.

If you do all that, you'll get an extra gem level, a 6th link, and haste aura for the cost of 15-20c and 2 divine orbs. Really drat cost effective all considered. After that, get grips of the council which are another mini-hatred effect for your srs. Those gloves are like 18-20c or so right now. The speed reduction on them is barely noticeable.
Ahhhhhhhhh! I thought I wanted to avoid lightning damage on spells because of EE. Hmm, so a better staff would result in a bigger upgrade of dps than the gloves it seems.

Would a Kaom's boots help the build? A few friends have been telling me to get them but I don't see the benefit of losing a 4L.

Jazerus posted:

maybe i'm just missing something that the super-pros do but melee splash has never worked out as a gem for me on srs. you have so many skulls that making them each better at single target ends up with roughly similar clear speed without the lowered damage on bosses.

also your skulls should be much, much faster than any mob with minion speed and flesh offering

additionally, you're stacking strength on your passive tree but you don't have a baron helm. if you aren't intending to use a baron you build srs a lot differently, picking up nodes like death attunement and grave intentions.

also also, you're not using any minions other than your srs. that flameblast totem is way less powerful than raise zombie-minion damage-minion speed-multistrike with two violent dead jewels (which should be easy to place, you have two jewel slots within 2 points each on your current tree) would be, given that you have lots of minion-boosting stuff and no fire or totem boosting stuff.

you are correct that your current strategy is going to be hard to take further without serious investment, but changing your skills somewhat could do a lot for you relatively inexpensively

I would like to get Baron at some point, but it so expensive it doesn't seem worth it now (plus I'm poor in game, 18c).

Why do I want those nodes for zombies or spectres if I am just running SRS?

I need to replace the totem. I used it to help level but now I never use it, been using the decoy totem instead. Will be looking to add in Haste as J suggested.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Jazerus posted:

i played some srs last league and it was immediately noticeable when i forgot to swap splash back in for packs

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Fixit posted:

I would like to get Baron at some point, but it so expensive it doesn't seem worth it now (plus I'm poor in game, 18c).

Why do I want those nodes for zombies or spectres if I am just running SRS?

I need to replace the totem. I used it to help level but now I never use it, been using the decoy totem instead. Will be looking to add in Haste as J suggested.

you should use zombies instead of the flameblast totem is the biggest point i was trying to make. you already have a lot of zombie-related nodes because they are also good ones for srs, so it's the most natural replacement for the flameblast totem, and you are within three points of +2 additional max zombies nodes too. minion life is also a buff to srs damage once you have your beacon of corruption ascendancy, so those won't be wasted points in terms of srs either. if you are building toward a baron then your passive tree is fine and you shouldn't go for death attunement/grave intentions, that was just a hypothetical since you didn't mention the baron as a desired upgrade for you. since you do eventually want a baron, it's worth mentioning that if you don't use zombies you're also wasting part of the baron's mods.

it's up to you, but it's the most straightforward path toward making your character a lot stronger. zombies are very, very good in combination with srs. they are powered up by exactly the same modifiers so your focus is never split.

also i see a distinct lack of cast speed, well, anywhere. it must be taking you a while to rev up to 20 skulls at the moment which hinders how fast you can go and how much time you spend with 20 skulls. that would be another easy fix.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Jazerus posted:

For regular white mobs, yeah there isn't a huge difference in clear speed with or without melee splash. But for harder packs, or other hard targets like twinned bosses that are next to each other, the add phases on chimera, anything like that then melee splash makes an enormous difference.

Fixit posted:

Ahhhhhhhhh! I thought I wanted to avoid lightning damage on spells because of EE. Hmm, so a better staff would result in a bigger upgrade of dps than the gloves it seems.

Would a Kaom's boots help the build? A few friends have been telling me to get them but I don't see the benefit of losing a 4L.

Lightning damage on spells is fine, you're already using ball lightning to apply EE, so extra lightning damage isn't changing anything. SRS deal physical, fire, and cold, so you want to lower the fire and cold resists via EE by applying lightning. But you don't care about the lightning resist of the target at all.

Kaom's roots are sort of a preference in terms of how safe you want to be. They have a shitload of life and make you immune to stuns/freeze/temporal chains. But personally I find the only times I have difficulty with SRS are situations where I don't have any time to create any distance to get the skulls out, so I'm really not a fan of any boots without movespeed. I've got the soul of the brine king pantheon node fully upgraded and I find that works well enough for combatting stuns, freezes, and chill.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what's the "run through low level maps with mf gear" build of choice now

is it something with wands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

what's the "run through low level maps with mf gear" build of choice now

is it something with wands

I think any build works really. I'm SRS necrobot and for low tiers I switch to double ventors, wonder boots and bisco's. Fill in everything else with iir/uniques as desired.