Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

I tried to make salmon meuniere again and completely hosed it up :negative: The salmon was thick in some places and thin in others, so by the time the thick part was fully cooked the rest was chalky and dry. The butter sauce ended up being thin and watery, and I still haven't figured out how much I should make at a time, so I basically poured it all onto a plate and it was like a soup.

Salmon tip: fold the thin part back against itself until you have a relatively even thickness throughout, then tie it there with some butcher's twice. This will contribute to more even cooking and none of that chalky dry trash. Or, do what the previous poster said and get yourself a sous vide cooker and never have to worry about it again.

As far as the butter sauce, sounds like it wasn't emulsified. Get thee a stick blender and go to town with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I made a shrimpaletta last night, it ended up really good! Sauteed shrimp, muffaletta olive mix, tomatoes, lettuce, some parmesan, and a bit of hot sauce. The bread was too thick but it was my first time baking bread so I'm actually really happy with how well it turned out.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
chicken souvlaki and Greek salad from the serious eats recipe

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
So the only reason people are trying to make salmon meuniere is Breath of the Wild, right? Salmon seems like a really bad choice of fish to pan-fry. Sole and skate are the classic fish to use for a reason -- uniform thickness and texture, less-dense meat. Hell, use tilapia or catfish.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

poop dood posted:

So the only reason people are trying to make salmon meuniere is Breath of the Wild, right? Salmon seems like a really bad choice of fish to pan-fry. Sole and skate are the classic fish to use for a reason -- uniform thickness and texture, less-dense meat. Hell, use tilapia or catfish.

Depends on how you like your salmon I guess. I always pan fry quickly in a ripping hot pan and let it cook through on the plate, but you need to use smaller fillets for it to work effectively.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Breath of the Wild, yeah, and it's what the recipe uses (I found a video that makes it and it looked easy enough). I've had mediocre experiences pan frying a filet of salmon, the steak cut or a cross section of the fillet is easier IME. Maybe it's a Japanese thing. Some of those other fish (like tilapia) would be a much better idea.

The video in question:

https://youtu.be/LtioJ6hMyQo

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

large hands posted:

chicken souvlaki and Greek salad from the serious eats recipe

Where the pita at

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

poop dood posted:

While I understand that a uniform thickness lends itself for easier pan-frying, I've pan-fried salmon a gazillion times and have had it/seen it in a bunch of restaurants all over the place. ymmv :shrug:

If the thickness is way out of whack, you can score the thick section of the fillet on the skin side to allow more heat to penetrate the flesh while frying. Also allows you to add seasoning and herbs and makes the skin look visually more interesting once it's crisped up.

Alternatively, using salmon steaks instead of fillets eliminates the issue altogether.

Pollyanna posted:

Breath of the Wild, yeah, and it's what the recipe uses (I found a video that makes it and it looked easy enough). I've had mediocre experiences pan frying a filet of salmon, the steak cut or a cross section of the fillet is easier IME. Maybe it's a Japanese thing. Some of those other fish (like tilapia) would be a much better idea.

The video in question:

https://youtu.be/LtioJ6hMyQo
I agree that the sauce being too runny is probably from lack of emulsification. I'd either get a stick blender like The Midniter suggested or swirl in 1-2 Tbsp of cold butter at a time instead of dumping it all in like in the video. Make sure the wine/acid mix has reduced before chucking the butter in.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely suck at mounting a sauce with butter. Works for me like 20% of the time.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I absolutely suck at mounting a sauce with butter. Works for me like 20% of the time.

Try changing the file system.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I figured it was a matter of proportions (too little butter) so I tried to reduce the sauce after I had already mounted the butter. It broke :downs:

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

If your pan sauce breaks you can usually bring it back with a splash of water or other liquid and stirring in a bit more butter.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Theophany posted:

Try changing the file system.

Isn't butter naturally FAT32? :downsrim:

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Also, yeah pan-fried salmon is super common. It's even one of Gordon Ramsay's signature dishes and I would not call most of his food adventurous at all. Also, most of the time I've seen meuniere it's not an emulsified sauce. You just stir lemon juice and parsley into freshly browned butter, let the foaming calm down and baste the fish with it. I would call the sauce in that video a beurre blanc.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

cigaw posted:

:golfclap:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Taima posted:

Where the pita at

warming up in the oven 😁

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cigaw posted:

:frogout:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Butter's still better than the New Trans Fat Shortenings.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Butter's still better than the New Trans Fat Shortenings.

:downs::respek::downs:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Nice jokes nerds.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

large hands posted:

warming up in the oven 😁

:discourse:

Nice work. Greek food is just fun to make in general.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
miso ramen with pork belly

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

large hands posted:

miso ramen with pork belly

drat. Looks great.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Did you use a pressure cooker? It saves sooo much time.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Taima posted:

Did you use a pressure cooker? It saves sooo much time.

this was the first time i made Japanese style chashu so i just followed the recipe on serious eats, braised at 275 for 4 hours in a pot with the lid ajar. how do you make it in the pressure cooker?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

large hands posted:

this was the first time i made Japanese style chashu so i just followed the recipe on serious eats, braised at 275 for 4 hours in a pot with the lid ajar. how do you make it in the pressure cooker?

Literally exactly the same way you made it, but instead of braising it for 4 hours, you combine the ingredients in the pressure cooker, bring to a boil, add the pork belly, put the lid on, and cook for, I dunno, 35-40 minutes?

Here's a very similar recipe specifically for the pressure cooker and she cooks it for a half hour.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Regardless, it looks beautiful Hands.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I decided to make something not bland out of those colossal chicken breast fillets you get from the grocery store. I butterflied a cut, then pounded it out like a parmigiana. Coated it in a chipotle seasoning mix and sautéed in butter. That one piece of chicken took up an entire cast iron skillet.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
A few of the things I've recently made that I've been pleased with. Definitely trying to work on my plating (it needs work) and photography.

Pork tenderloin, carrot puree, red cabbage salad, pickled mustard seed

Strip steak, parmesean potatoes, bourbon thyme gastrique

Mac & cheese, smoked pork, pickled jalepenos

Pressure cooked broccoli & gruyere soup from MCaH

dolicf fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 16, 2017

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
That's good plating (though the mac and cheese seems a little over portioned), I would just say try taking photos from an angle. Experiment with the directions you take pictures from.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gonna need that broccoli soup recipe. Can't believe I didn't think of pressure cooking the poo poo out of broccoli to make soup.

Edit: Oh, right - do I need a stick blender or something for it?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 16, 2017

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

That's good plating (though the mac and cheese seems a little over portioned), I would just say try taking photos from an angle. Experiment with the directions you take pictures from.

Thanks. The mac & cheese is on a small plate, so it makes it look huge. I was also drunk & hungry after waiting 12 hours for the pork to cook, so it's very possibly too much.

As for the angles, yeah, I feel you. I need to work on that bit.

Pollyanna posted:

Gonna need that broccoli soup recipe. Can't believe I didn't think of pressure cooking the poo poo out of broccoli to make soup.

Edit: Oh, right - do I need a stick blender or something for it?

It's from Modernist Cuisine at Home, but the gist is:

Broccoli florets - 500g
Butter - 113g
Gruyere, grated - 40g
Chicken stock as needed
water - 30g
salt - 5g
baking soda - 2.5g

- melt butter in pressure cooker
- add broccoli, water, salt, & baking soda to pressure cooker, cook at high pressure for 20 mins
- add cheese & blend to smooth puree & (ideally) pass through a fine sieve in to a pot & heat
- add chicken stock to reach desired consistency
- season, garnish with fried broccoli florets, toasted hazelnuts & thyme leaves

edit: A stick blender would work, though wouldn't give quite as nice of a texture. I think a high powered blender (like Vitamix) is ideal, but a run of the mill blender should still work though.

dolicf fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 16, 2017

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I cannot fathom why you need to pressure cook broccoli florets.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
It has been awhile since I made fresh pasta... Agnolotti filled with braised short ribs, ricotta and pecorino finished with a butter and sage sauce with some more pecorino.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Random Hero posted:

It has been awhile since I made fresh pasta... Agnolotti filled with braised short ribs, ricotta and pecorino finished with a butter and sage sauce with some more pecorino.

:kiss:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

I don't speak Chinese but I have been told this is called 熊掌豆腐, aka bear's paw tofu.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Random Hero posted:

:eyepop:

did you follow a recipe?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I cannot fathom why you need to pressure cook broccoli florets.

Knowing that it’s from the modernist guys, there’s sure to be a sciency explanation. Maybe having to do with cooking it fully without releasing the volatile sulfur compounds and making it smell like farts. Or maybe being able to cook it fully and keep it green. But there’s surely a reason.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Knowing that it’s from the modernist guys, there’s sure to be a sciency explanation. Maybe having to do with cooking it fully without releasing the volatile sulfur compounds and making it smell like farts. Or maybe being able to cook it fully and keep it green. But there’s surely a reason.

i know for tomato sauce i read that the higher temperature in the pressure cooker can get you some maillard reaction flavours that won't happen at stovetop temperatures. i guess you could roast the broccoli but then you'd lose most of the moisture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

large hands posted:

i know for tomato sauce i read that the higher temperature in the pressure cooker can get you some maillard reaction flavours that won't happen at stovetop temperatures. i guess you could roast the broccoli but then you'd lose most of the moisture.

That's exactly correct according to the book. Pressure cookers get to 245-250F, so you can get much more caramelization without losing the water.