Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

funkybottoms posted:

after seeing a million pictures of beernerds drinking 5oz pours of barrel-aged maple syrup and honey out of teku glasses i wouldn't loving be surprised

People didn't actually just drink 5oz of maple syrup, did they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Flunky posted:

Only a matter of time until someone makes a beer taste intentionally like toothpaste.

Pretty much every mint beer to me.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Quite A Tool posted:

People didn't actually just drink 5oz of maple syrup, did they?

I do it out of the loving gallon jug with the little thumb handle. I even have a little nip of it in the console of my car for maple syrup emergencies. I am being entirely serious.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

Speaking of which, I had some of that Mikkeller Maple Vanilla Shake yesterday and it tastes like an IHOP bathroom.

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Aug 16, 2017

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I mean I grew up in Vermont and dated a girl whose family had a maple farm, I'll preach the glory of that poo poo till I die. I just find it pretty funny to imagine people with a flight of syrup.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Quite A Tool posted:

I mean I grew up in Vermont and dated a girl whose family had syrup trees, I'll preach the glory of that poo poo till I die. I just find it pretty funny to imagine people with a flight of syrup.

Do you even Hill Farmstead, bro!?

Fat Lou posted:

Speaking of which, I had some of that Mikkeller Maple Vanilla Shake yesterday and it tastes like an iHop bathroom.

I don't even know what that means but...

Beer Thread 3: It Tastes Like An iHop Bathroom

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

danbanana posted:

I don't even know what that means but...

Beer Thread 3: It Tastes Like An iHop Bathroom

Maple syrup and urine is the closest comparison I can give you. It was...not good.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

danbanana posted:

Do you even Hill Farmstead, bro!?

I unfortunately moved across the country shorty before VT became a big beer destination, or at least before I knew any better. I've gone back to visit a few times but I can never set aside the time to hit up all these places as I shuttle back and forth between VT, NH and PA for various family members. I console myself with whatever I can find on the shelves when I'm there.

I once tried to convince my mother to send me some beer and she refused as she's convinced it will get her jail time.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Quite A Tool posted:

I unfortunately moved across the country shorty before VT became a big beer destination, or at least before I knew any better. I've gone back to visit a few times but I can never set aside the time to hit up all these places as I shuttle back and forth between VT, NH and PA for various family members. I console myself with whatever I can find on the shelves when I'm there.

I once tried to convince my mother to send me some beer and she refused as she's convinced it will get her jail time.

Your mom is smart.

And my smarminess is because HF periodically releases a bourbon barrel aged maple syrup. And yes, people have been known to straight up drink that poo poo.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

And my smarminess is because HF periodically releases a bourbon barrel aged maple syrup. And yes, people have been known to straight up drink that poo poo.

https://untappd.com/b/hill-farmstead-brewery-bourbon-barrel-aged-maple-syrup/1876755

not all of those involve food

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

We have a nearby distillery here (Woodinville Whiskey) that uses some of their barrels to age maple syrup. I use it to sweeten my coffee. It good.

Drinking 5oz straight up seems kind of gross, though.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Qylvaran posted:

Drinking 5oz straight up seems kind of gross, though.

Are we talking about mead now?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
News: http://thefullpint.com/beer-news/green-flash-brewing-announces-third-brewery/

quote:

Green Flash Brewing Announces Third Brewery

(San Diego, CA) – Less than one year after opening doors to their second brewery on the east coast, Green Flash Brewing Co. announces they are expanding into the Midwest and opening a third location in Lincoln, NE. They have purchased a 10,000-square-foot production facility and tasting room with a restaurant in the Nebraska state capital, and will join Lincoln’s burgeoning craft beer community. The new brewery was purchased intact, and Green Flash expects the tasting room, restaurant, and brewhouse to be open and operating by the end of this year. Upon opening, Green Flash will be able to offer fresh beer with regional prices in the Midwest, and will focus on the consumer connection in their Lincoln tasting room. The move reveals Green Flash’s long-term strategy to increase their strength as a national brand by establishing regional footholds in key cities across the United States.

Views: I am very much down with this. The space is great — the original owner built it from the ground up and put so much capital in it that he wasn't able to get it in the black (also, he could never decide what he wanted to do with the kitchen, but perhaps the real dagger: The beer was rarely on a level with some of the other local stuff).

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
For those of you who play Fantasy Football, the ISO:FT Goon Beer league is looking for more people to join. It's a standard fantasy football league with the exception that instead of cash league dues, you send out a box of region specific and/or sought after beers that is greater than or equal to $50.00.

This is the prize bracket for this year:

Winner: 5 Boxes of Beer

2nd Place: 3 Boxes of Beer

3rd Place: 2 Box of Beer

Highest Regular Season Point Total: 1 Box of Beer

Winner of the Loser's Bracket: 2 Boxes of Beer

2nd place Loser's Bracket: 1 box of beer

Thread is here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3830042

We have something like 4-5 spots open, so get at it. Applicants must Toxx, and should have trade references.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
Does anyone else do a fantasy beer league where you draft breweries and do blind tasting? Our Charlotte group does and was actually just featured on local beer podcast.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Hola amigos. I know it's been a while since I rapped at you all, but I'm still into good beer.

Just wanted to drop a line since I'll be in Portland all this weekend, partly for Brews for New Avenues, which remains the greatest beer event ever and I'll accept no dissenting opinion on this. Wayfinder Beer has opened and it looks like the New Hotness over there, but there's also a couple breweries in the suburbs I've been wanting to visit...and there's that one closing in the Pearl I wanna get to before it does...and there's another taproom right nearby...

It's too much alcohol for just one liver guys.

(Drop a line if you'd like to say hello over the weekend btw.)

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Hola amigos. I know it's been a while since I rapped at you all, but I'm still into good beer.

dude, i was thinking about Jim Anchower, Smoov B, and Herbert Kornfeld last night #classic

i didn't donate beers to BFNA this year, but good lord are there going to be some amazing bottles there. i'm sure you'll know plenty of folks, but if not, i'll tell my guys to keep an eye out for you

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Just wanted to drop a line since I'll be in Portland all this weekend, partly for Brews for New Avenues, which remains the greatest beer event ever and I'll accept no dissenting opinion on this. Wayfinder Beer has opened and it looks like the New Hotness over there, but there's also a couple breweries in the suburbs I've been wanting to visit...and there's that one closing in the Pearl I wanna get to before it does...and there's another taproom right nearby...

Which ones in the burbs?

Wayfinder is a nice spot, big patio and good food - parking can sick though.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

reemphasizing how perfect ayinger oktoberfest is

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Hauki posted:

loving love that beer. I guess its about time I have my first of the year...

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Random question for funkybottoms and anyone else who works at a commercial brewery, how often do you brew a bad batch of a beer (one of your staple beers not a new recipe)? And then within the bad batches what kind of range are we talking about, e.g. slightly off flavors all the way through to completely infected?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

loving love that beer. I guess its about time I have my first of the year...

Its decent

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Which brewery in Florida is in the retirement town? Flagler Village, maybe, who I hear is the newest most overhyped game in town? I just moved to Kissimmee and other than Knightly OBT like half an hour away I am loving so doomed beerwise. I'm close to Cycle I guess but not driving over to drop 30 a pop on beers everyone else is buying by the case.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Wait, is there a brewery in the loving Villages?

Not sure I can think of a worse place in the USA to open one.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Shabadu posted:

I do it out of the loving gallon jug with the little thumb handle. I even have a little nip of it in the console of my car for maple syrup emergencies. I am being entirely serious.

I can vouch for all of this, and for the disturbingly lustful look that comes into Shab's eyes any time maple syrup is mentioned.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Do Culmination. They were my favorite when I was up there a couple of weeks ago, though I didn't manage to check out Wayfinder. Culmination also has the advantage of sharing a parking lot with a mead/cider producer that does pretty great stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

Which brewery in Florida is in the retirement town? Flagler Village, maybe, who I hear is the newest most overhyped game in town? I just moved to Kissimmee and other than Knightly OBT like half an hour away I am loving so doomed beerwise. I'm close to Cycle I guess but not driving over to drop 30 a pop on beers everyone else is buying by the case.

It's a tenuous joke about Civil Society. And drat son, kissimmee is nowhere near cycle, that's like 2 hours away.

nah
Mar 16, 2009

How the gently caress could you think Cycle was close to Kissimmee

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Closer than literally any other brewery worth a drat.

Reminder that I lived in Gainesville for ten years and then extremely rural Japan and have never had a reasonable drive to a good brewery in my life.

Apache
May 11, 2004

I'm not too familiar with the Orlando breweries, but I know Gnarley Barley is nearish to you and has pretty good food and beer. Also Red Light Red Light is supposed to be good. Crooked can has some okay beer, not sure if it is worth the drive up to Winter Garden or not though. At some point his year Swan Brewing is opening here in Lakeland, and the beer I've had from them so far has been good, but that is still about an hour away from where you are. You've also got all of the Tampa Breweries that would be closer than Cycle.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hauki posted:

German Ayinger? Or is there an American one as well?

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

German Ayinger? Or is there an American one as well?

no, the German one. hoping we finally get four-packs of the Oktoberfest this year...

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I've determined that I could drink nothing but Belgian-styled beers until the day I die and want for nothing.

Duvel: I enjoyed it, but for the price I'd rather get a 6 pack of Beazly for $8. Can understand why a lot of people like it though.
Duvel Tripel Hop: Definitely closer to the end of its shelf life, but I liked it quite a bit more than the standard Duvel. Will definitely drink their next year's release, preferably earlier.
Saison Dupont: I love this. Just a really good beer that I can imagine pairing with any kind of food, without overpowering it, but also without losing to it. I just wish I could get it cheap and in six packs.
Chimay Blue Label: If it's dark and Belgian I think it's one of my favorites. They all have this molassesy slightly fruity flavor that I really really enjoy.

Also had a draft of Three Stars Peppercorn Saison at a Korean taco place up in DC. A bit hoppier than I'd have wanted, but the background flavor of peppercorns was real nice, and didn't overpower it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

everythingWasBees posted:

Saison Dupont: I love this. Just a really good beer that I can imagine pairing with any kind of food, without overpowering it, but also without losing to it. I just wish I could get it cheap and in six packs.

I've know those come in 4 packs, but it's been a pretty long time actually seeing it on a shelf.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

I've know those come in 4 packs, but it's been a pretty long time actually seeing it on a shelf.

I still see them.

I've said it a lot over the last few years: saisons should be the gateway beer to people who are interested in nicer beer. It's a perfect style that has a lot of the characteristics of American adjunct lagers (color, usually a little on the sweet side) with complexity and earthiness that should appeal to people who enjoy wine. Plus, as EWB mentioned, that poo poo pairs with EVERYTHING.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
allagash house beer is one of the best on the planet

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

cryme posted:

This is why I asked Krustster to send me a half-case of it a few months ago...

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
The guy at Allagash who rung me up last time I was there comped me the wooden crate since because I told him I already had one and was buying a second for friend. They're good folks up there.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

cryme posted:

Out of all the breweries that have left Texas, they're far and away who I miss most. Also ISO a bunch of these. Sounds perfect for brutal rear end summer here.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

cryme posted:

The guy at Allagash who rung me up last time I was there comped me the wooden crate since because I told him I already had one and was buying a second for friend. They're good folks up there.

yeah, they are amazing

everythingWasBees posted:

find yourself some Saison D'Erpe-Mere from De Glazen Toren

Lyon posted:

Random question for funkybottoms and anyone else who works at a commercial brewery, how often do you brew a bad batch of a beer (one of your staple beers not a new recipe)? And then within the bad batches what kind of range are we talking about, e.g. slightly off flavors all the way through to completely infected?

our very first batch of beer was dumped, but that was because a part of the glycol system was installed incorrectly, so that wasn't our fault.

in the 3.5 years we've been brewing, we've had less than a dozen truly flawed batches of beer. two had diacetyl because they were not given a proper diacetyl rest, so those were on us, and we've had maybe six that suffered from saison yeast cross-contamination, which we were able to trace back to one particularly fermenter, which must have some sort of structural flaw or minor damage that is preventing the clean-in-place process to be effective (we only put saison in that tank now). unfortunately, each time we had already cropped and re-pitched the yeast, so it ended up in multiple tanks before we realized what was happening. a few of those we were able to rescue, but a few also went right down the drain. we've had attenuation problems, as well- either due to a bad cell count on our part or an ineffective fresh pitch from a lab- but those typically turn out okay with a little coaxing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

air- posted:

Sounds perfect for brutal rear end summer here.

Penrose here in the Chicago burbs sold a Belgian single called Proto Gradus when they first opened. I had it side-by-side with Allagash House and liked it better, though not by much. For the short period they bottled it, it was in my fridge just about constantly.

But apparently it wasn't very popular so they discontinued it. Just recently, they rebrewed the same recipe with kolsch yeast instead of their house Belgian and called it Proto. It's fine but not the same beer. I confronted the head brewer about it a few months ago and he just shrugged and said it was a business decision. Since House is probably my favorite drinkin' beer made right now, having a local equivalent would have been heaven. Alas, loving beer nerds...