Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

He splatted a someone in the middle of a super jump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Lakbay posted:

He splatted a someone in the middle of a super jump

Nah they're just jumping off the box to die on purpose

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
After a massive losing streak struggling to stay in A rank, I switched over to the L3-Nozzlenose and starting owning bones with it. Dunno why it never clicked with me before but it rules.

That's all.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I'm going to switch to the L-3 once the variant with the burst bomb comes out because I can't figure out curling bombs for the life of me

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

CodfishCartographer posted:

After a massive losing streak struggling to stay in A rank, I switched over to the L3-Nozzlenose and starting owning bones with it. Dunno why it never clicked with me before but it rules.

That's all.
Yeah the balance and diversity of weapons in this game is really something great. Please don't just main one weapon set for 90% of your playtime and rob yourself of the fun of all the different weapons.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lakbay posted:

I'm going to switch to the L-3 once the variant with the burst bomb comes out because I can't figure out curling bombs for the life of me

I love the curling bombs, but honestly I use them more like a utility tool than a weapon. The key thing is that they ink as they travel, so if you wind up with your escape route cut off a lot of times you can chuck a bomb and then swim along behind it for an easy escape through enemy ink. If you need to get somewhere fast, you can just hurl one out and squid along behind it, not needing to stop and spray every few seconds. It also functions pretty decently as an area denial tool, as it takes a while to blow up and can ink a surprising amount of area.

It’s also worth noting that the bomb colliding with an enemy does about 25 damage, which isn’t a lot but can be useful for giving you a little bit of an extra edge - especially if it’s a really tight area and you can hit them multiple times with the bounces. If you really want to try splatting someone with them, you can also hold the throw button down to “cook” the bomb, giving it a shorter fuse. Even cooking it for a split second or so can really gently caress with people, as they’ll expect it to keep moving.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Just had the game lock up on me when the maps rotated while I was entering a Salmon Run lobby. Got the notification and then everything froze :sigh:

Lurkcopter
Aug 6, 2013
I always thought the nozzlenose was a pretty underrated weapon in splatoon 1. The version with burst bombs was pretty brutal if you stacked some damage ups while using it. Was my go-to turf war weapon (I didn't play a lot of ranked in splatoon 1).

I enjoy the Splatoon 2 version as well. Although sometimes I keep whiffing that last hit and get splatted. Hope they'll add a version with burst bombs somewhere down the line.

Lurkcopter fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 16, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

That's all.

what abilities do you usually run on it?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

Tenta Missiles also stack on your team very, very well. If you have 2-3 users on your team who launch them in series you just bought yourself a ton of time. We should do a gimmick/ league team of 4 tenta missile users and just have them firing semi-permanently.

Every special has its uses, none of them are I Win buttons like in splatoon 1, but Ink Armor is definitely the most unbalanced to the point that I'm seriously considering taking Object Shredder boots as a standard piece of every kit.

I've been on the other side of a 4 tenta stack and it's miserable. This was in League too so they were ruthless with their timing

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Bill Barber posted:

Yeah the balance and diversity of weapons in this game is really something great. Please don't just main one weapon set for 90% of your playtime and rob yourself of the fun of all the different weapons.

Yea this. Try new stuff whenever your ranked meter is in the safety zone.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Futaba Anzu posted:

what abilities do you usually run on it?

Not sure exactly what I’ll want with it, yet. Right now I have Ink Recovery Up, Ink Saver (Sub), Bomb Defense Up, Ink Resistance Up, and 2 small Ink Saver (Main) - however that setup is mostly just cus what I have with decent abilities, they weren’t specifically chosen for the weapon. I think Ink Saver Sub is good with it cus I love curling bombs, but the Ink Recovery and maybe Ink Saver Main feel not so necessary. the gun’s ink consumption is surprisingly little, I don’t think I ever actually run out of ink on the drat thing. If I were to swap skills out I’d probably try swapping out Ink Recovery Up and maybe Bomb Defense Up for Run Speed Up. Also, of course, the generally useful abilities like Ninja Squid, Tenacity, Drop Roller, etc. I’ll probably play around with Thermal Ink too, as the gun has a decent range and it can sometimes be difficult to keep a bead on the enemy if you don’t splay them immediately. It’s easy to get your first hit on a dude, but your second (hopefully won’t need a third) is harder, and Thermal Ink can maybe help with that.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Lurkcopter posted:

Hope they'll add a version with burst bombs somewhere down the line.

In the datamine it's in there so hopefully they'll add it. Also excited for the "as fast as you can push ZR" gun (though my finger won't be so happy)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lakbay posted:

In the datamine it's in there so hopefully they'll add it. Also excited for the "as fast as you can push ZR" gun (though my finger won't be so happy)

I looked up the datamine poo poo and oh my god there's a champaign bottle that's reworked into a gun and called "Squeezer" I cannot wait for this holy poo poo.

Also glad to see that the Sloshing Machine is on the agenda, I loving loved that thing.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Zeruel posted:

(still) lookin Flip-flops with Object shredder, requoting for fashion:

let me know an ETA of when you're gonna be online

I added you sir. I'm GarbageBoy.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

I looked up the datamine poo poo and oh my god there's a champaign bottle that's reworked into a gun and called "Squeezer" I cannot wait for this holy poo poo.

Yeah that's the hair trigger/as fast as you can push gun according to what Sheldon says in the datamine

It's probably going to be nerfed into the ground at that point but lol for there being a tri-slosher variant with splat bombs and autobomb launcher special

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
There's some ugly rear end sandals in the eShop with Object Shredder right now too.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Lakbay posted:

Yeah that's the hair trigger/as fast as you can push gun according to what Sheldon says in the datamine

It's probably going to be nerfed into the ground at that point but lol for there being a tri-slosher variant with splat bombs and autobomb launcher special

I'm thinking it's gotta be closer to the Nozzlenoses, right? Like maybe a Nozzlenose with one shot per pull and more spread.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
There needs to be a "STAND HERE AND WAIT FOR THE GLOWFLIES TO COME TO US" button for this game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

New Coke posted:

There needs to be a "STAND HERE AND WAIT FOR THE GLOWFLIES TO COME TO US" button for this game.

It's standing next to the basket and spamming THIS WAY

What we really need is a DO YOUR JOB button

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

In Training posted:

from personal anecdotal experience it's the Luna Blaster

Did they make the Luna Blaster slower in this game? I was so excited to use it because it was just an unstoppable force of death on Tower Control in S1, and it seems to shoot so slow now that I could barely get one shot off at an enemy before I got annihilated (the fact that the netcode often makes me explode as soon as an enemy looks at me notwithstanding). Am I just imagining things? It feels almost as slow as the regular Blaster.

The Rapid Blaster on the other hand is a really good range weapon, and I hated that one in S1.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Anidav posted:

Yeah but no one really uses Tenta Missles atm, it's way behind the Armor and Inkjet spammers.

Emperry Dualies are annoying.

I exclusively use the tenta missles atm . I got an outfit stacked with special saver and special up so everytime i get taken out i just have to fill in a tiny bit of spawn and can instantly fire on almost every opponent at once, which also helps distract as i super jump back in

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
If some shmuck bails in the middle of the job, how come I'M the one getting a pay cut!? :argh:

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

It's a team effort (condolences to anyone who actually heard this before)

I wonder if the abusive employer stuff is present in the Japanese or if it was added with localization

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Suspicious Cook posted:

If some shmuck bails in the middle of the job, how come I'M the one getting a pay cut!? :argh:

If you disconnect you get a 20-point pay cut IIRC

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

raditts posted:

Did they make the Luna Blaster slower in this game? I was so excited to use it because it was just an unstoppable force of death on Tower Control in S1, and it seems to shoot so slow now that I could barely get one shot off at an enemy before I got annihilated (the fact that the netcode often makes me explode as soon as an enemy looks at me notwithstanding). Am I just imagining things? It feels almost as slow as the regular Blaster.

The Rapid Blaster on the other hand is a really good range weapon, and I hated that one in S1.

I dunno but it definitely feels that way. Luna Blaster was my go-to “get poo poo done” weapon in the first game, but I can’t loving make it work now. Whenever I was sick of losing and needed a few wins to keep my rank, I’d swap over to the Luna Blaster. In Splatoon 2 I could probably count the number of wins I have with it on one hand, I dunno what they changed about it (i know that the ink usage was nerfed HARD) but it just doesn’t click anymore. It could also be due to Octobrush and Tri Slosher being much stronger in this game (or at the very least, much more prevalent), thus making the Luna Blaster less powerful because there are many other close-range threats compared to the first game.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I don't like or won't block players for being bad at the game, however if you get a score of 200 consistently in TURF War with 0-0 then you're just borderline AFK.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Suspicious Cook posted:

Who said anything bout a pay cut? :smugdog:

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

JackDarko posted:

I added you sir. I'm GarbageBoy.

all good my dude, i'll probably be online later in (my) day.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Really easy set off salmon run weapons this time

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah. I would prefer the Heavy Splatling over the Mini, but the Mini is still pretty good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah. I would prefer the Heavy Splatling over the Mini, but the Mini is still pretty good.

I prefer the Mini for Salmon Run myself, because it charges to full a lot faster and you rarely need the full-dakka blast of the Heavy's charge.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I prefer the heavy for salmon run. I need the extra range and damage to reliably one cycle Steelheads and I find it extremely useful for maximizing Goldies in gusher rounds. But realistically it's probably better in all other use cases.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tatsuta Age posted:

Really easy set off salmon run weapons this time

Yeah I was planning on grinding past 300 but as soon as I hit 240 my team's became loving horrible and I couldn't get any higher. Started getting salty so I quit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I was planning on grinding past 300 but as soon as I hit 240 my team's became loving horrible and I couldn't get any higher. Started getting salty so I quit.

I got bounced back to Overachiever because my loving idiot crewmates just would not grab Eggs :cripes:.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I hate using the heavy

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
The issue is the farther you go, it seems that the egg count requirement is greater, but matchmaking will still pair you with newer Profreshionals who still wait by the eggs forever protecting them, so even a decent random seems worse when you're making the goal harder to reach.

Third Round Grillers or the Goldie Hide and Seek getting bumped up to a 17 required is scary if even one person is off. The Goldie one gets to impossible levels if you get unlucky - you need to find it fast and attack it near the basket.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pichupal posted:

The Goldie one gets to impossible levels if you get unlucky.

It's really the inverse for Gusher rounds; If you aren't obscenely lucky across several different factors, you are straight-up hosed to begin with.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Someone tell me if the super bonuses are drink tickets or food tickets? Assuming they alternate every other run and they're food tickets so I don't have to bother grinding for 2 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bill Barber posted:

Someone tell me if the super bonuses are drink tickets or food tickets? Assuming they alternate every other run and they're food tickets so I don't have to bother grinding for 2 hours.

They can be either. If you look at the point card it will tell you what the super bonus for the session is.