Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Argh I am too old and bad at this game, where is the easy mode with infinite lives for people who never managed to finish a Sonic game

Game Overing on an act 2 boss several times in a row and having to go through all of act 1 and act 2 again is painful :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Super Tails and Super Knuckles were just them flashing to a color somewhat different from their main ones. They don't get a changed appearance like Super Sonic or anything. Tails couldn't even use the normal emeralds. They've always been treated as "lesser" than Super Sonic, it's not just a modern Sonic thing.

Like I said, I'm not as bothered about it being special to Sonic, what I think is dumb is it being canonically special to Hedgehogs.

I also felt like S3&K giving Super Tails and Knuckles was "correcting" the fact it was missing from S2/S3. Lesser is better then non-existent as well.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Hedgehogs are sonic verse Saiyans, of course only they can go super.

Echidnas are namekians.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Zelder posted:

Hedgehogs are sonic verse Saiyans, of course only they can go super.

Echidnas are namekians.

Knuckles getting stretchy arms would own.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

When it hits certain boxes it's blade breaks leaving it vulnerable.

That's what it is doing when it shows up.

Wait nevermind got the zone acronyms mixed up what is FP zone?

No I'm stupid. PGZ. Somehow you knew what I meant.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I love this game, I think I like it more than 3&K but I think the biggest problem is the combination of the incetivizing of exploration, stage size, and the Time Over mechanic. I don't mean to FINISH them, if you just want to blast through them you're probably not going to time over, but if you want to play "comb for giant rings and secrets" the last few are just too big to be able to reasonably relax and explore in one playthrough. Sonic CD was also exploration heavy (probably more than this because of the generators and projectors), but its time limits were generous for the stage sizes except for maybe one exception (and I suck at navigating the tiny Sonic section in CD Metallic Madness 2 so that's probably a user error).

I mean, sure, you can use Debug Mode for that but maybe I actually want to play the game normally and explore at the same time.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

r u ready to WALK posted:

Argh I am too old and bad at this game, where is the easy mode with infinite lives for people who never managed to finish a Sonic game

Game Overing on an act 2 boss several times in a row and having to go through all of act 1 and act 2 again is painful :(

there's different routes and the games fun tho

generally the high route is fast and the low route is slow and plodding. there's secrets everywhere. do your best!

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Friends, in honor of Sonic Mania being a good game, I'm giving away my Sonic CD steam key that I just got from T-Mobile.

Soni* the Hedgehog -- 2*90J-8NQNE-BA9PR

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man, I am like 0 for 27 on the Blue Sphere stages

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

wuggles posted:

No I'm stupid. PGZ. Somehow you knew what I meant.

It was the way you described boss thought I had to do the same thing at first. They should have made its' attack go further.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

r u ready to WALK posted:

I feel your pain. The most awful deaths when you're trying to push through to the end are the sudden unexpected ones, like being crushed out of nowhere. There were a couple that might've even been bugs, since I can't even explain how I died.

Fortunately, I've been doing semi-okay on the bonus stages because I've been playing a lot of S3&K. I've only got three or four emeralds, though, so no good ending for me.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Something I'd like: give me the option to practice Special and Bonus stages I have already encountered from the menu. By all means make me go in the real game to earn the actual emerald, but running to the ring over and over to practice is a waste of time.

On that note, any opinion on which giant ring is fastest to get to on a clear file? I'm going to the one by some collapsing bridges in Green Hill, but if there's a faster one to reach I'd like to know.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I just got this weird bug on PGZ where the robot machine thingy was already there at the end at the level before I'd even defeated the boss

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v_3-tTm5Es

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

TFRazorsaw posted:

That's what Super Tails and Knuckles have always looked like, and Sega has been pretty clear that they want Super Sonic and the other hedgehogs as the only character whose super modes are canon and unique looking.

Ian Flynn talked about this once and it's why Turbo Tails and Hyper Knuckles stopped appearing after the reboot.

Don't Super Tails and Super Knuckles appear in Sonic Heroes?

Augus posted:

this is the thing about old school Sega games that a lot of people who grew up with Mario struggle to wrap their heads around, they have very different design philosophies. Games like Sonic, Knights, and Gunstar Heroes have very arcade-like philosophy.

Sega games in general are very arcade-like. Mostly because, well... they made arcade games so half of their games were literally arcade games. Aside from Sonic, Sega is probably best known for Yu Suzuki's arcade titles and Sega AM2.

The Sega Saturn and Dreamcast had tons of arcade ports and arcade-like games because that was Sega's specialty. However, by this point those kinds of games were starting to go out of style which hurt sales. People wanted games like Super Mario 64 and Final Fantasy VII which took a lot of time to beat so you would "get your money's worth." Arcade games are very short and usually can be beaten in under an hour but are meant to be played again and again and have a lot of room to improve your skill and get higher scores. I love arcade games, but they are very niche these days.

Sonic games are easy to beat but actually going super fast and getting a good rhythm takes practice. They're designed to be played again and again.

I've beaten the game with Sonic + Tails on one save and Knuckles on the other and I have yet to see the game over screen. I probably never will, I have 30+ lives on my Sonic save. The guy who leaked the game was insanely terrible. How do you game over in Oil Ocean 12 times? He was also from 8 chan and kept using racial slurs. He was probably a Nintendo kid. *drops the mic*

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

geri_khan posted:

Something I'd like: give me the option to practice Special and Bonus stages I have already encountered from the menu. By all means make me go in the real game to earn the actual emerald, but running to the ring over and over to practice is a waste of time.

On that note, any opinion on which giant ring is fastest to get to on a clear file? I'm going to the one by some collapsing bridges in Green Hill, but if there's a faster one to reach I'd like to know.

Sonic can get to Knuckle's Green Hill ring and it's about 30 seconds instead of 40-50, but it involves glitching through geometry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ppjdXg8AH4

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

Don't Super Tails and Super Knuckles appear in Sonic Heroes?

No, only Sonic went Super. Knuckles and Tails only got an aura that powered them up.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've beaten the game with Sonic + Tails on one save and Knuckles on the other and I have yet to see the game over screen. I probably never will, I have 30+ lives on my Sonic save. The guy who leaked the game was insanely terrible. How do you game over in Oil Ocean 12 times? He was also from 8 chan and kept using racial slurs. He was probably a Nintendo kid. *drops the mic*

Yeah, didn't get a single game over on my Sonic & Tails playthrough, and I consider myself to be bad at video games. I keep hearing people say the Oil Ocean 2 Boss gives them trouble and I'm wondering what's tripping them up. I can see the level gimmick giving people trouble though

Although I'll admit other bosses gave me some troubles. Is there any tricks to the Ninja guy? I felt like I'd always get hit when trying to get hits on him. Can the stars be killed before they explode, or is that only because I was in invulnerability frames?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, didn't get a single game over on my Sonic & Tails playthrough, and I consider myself to be bad at video games. I keep hearing people say the Oil Ocean 2 Boss gives them trouble and I'm wondering what's tripping them up. I can see the level gimmick giving people trouble though

Although I'll admit other bosses gave me some troubles. Is there any tricks to the Ninja guy? I felt like I'd always get hit when trying to get hits on him. Can the stars be killed before they explode, or is that only because I was in invulnerability frames?

You can kill the stars when they're in the ground. Also, the trick is you need to hit him while he's flipping to make him vulnerable. If you try at all while he's on the ground he ices you. The other thing I noticed is that if any starts are left he won't throw more, and you can bait him into jumping by intentionally getting frozen, breaking out, and getting near him (but not so close he ices you). So it is possible to bait him into a state where you can hit him without him throwing shuriken, but the timing is tight and it means you'll have to contend with spikes from exploded starfish while getting damage in.

I've gotten 1-2 game overs a playthrough, though I'll admit a significant amount of that was due to time overs from exploring too much.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 16, 2017

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

geri_khan posted:

In Press Garden Zone Act 1, get to the spinning cylinder, and drop down. Turn left to go through a brief area that leads to a Giant Ring. It generally took me 20-30 seconds to get there per attempt.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Oxyclean posted:

you hit him when he's in the middle of his jump to stun him, and then you can hit him for damage.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
wow. hearing lots of people claiming only hedgehogs can go super, ignoring the super form of my powerful friend, blaze the cat

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

wow. hearing lots of people claiming only hedgehogs can go super, ignoring the super form of my powerful friend, blaze the cat

Cats are hedgehogs in the dimension she comes from

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I don't think I've ever typed a stupider sentence, thank you sonic series

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

That's burning blaze, and it's not quite a super form as it has properties super sonic doesn't have and is activated via the sol emeralds.

Wow I feel like a huge nerd for typing that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Saying that only hedgehogs can go Super and trying to make Shadow into some kind of badass (lol) is so strange

Mainly because hedgehogs aren't exactly fierce, scary animals. Not unless you're an insect or a tiny lizard or something.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And Knuckles isn't anything like the species he's named after. What's your point?

Blaze was a main character too. She was the face of the Rush series along with Sonic.

Either way I think it's less that it's a quality hedgehogs have and more they want to keep Super forms to characters who are headliners. Notice Shadow and Silver haven't gone Super again in over ten years.

Knuckles and Tails though, they're a tier below, even in stuff like Mania. That's why their Super forms are only semi canonical and just glorified pallet swsps.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 16, 2017

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

And Knuckles isn't anything like the species he's named after. What's your point?

Thank God

TFRazorsaw posted:

Knuckles and Tails though, they're a tier below, even in stuff like Mania. That's why their Super forms are only semi canonical and just glorified pallet swsps.

Semi-canon? Huh? They're in the games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Blaze was a main character too. She was the face of the Rush series along with Sonic.

Either way I think it's less that it's a quality hedgehogs have and more they want to keep Super forms to characters who are headliners. Notice Shadow and Silver haven't gone Super again in over ten years.

Excuse me, Knuckles is canonically strong enough to punch Super Sonic so hard he loses his super form. Knuckles doesn't go Super because he doesn't need it.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

I'm still holding out hope for Super Eggman one day.

And thanks for the giant ring tips, Linear Zoetrope and Candy Crazy

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Maybe off topic and I'm not sure if this has been addressed already but...

This game was made by Christian Whitehead who in the past had remade the Megadrive Sonics by basically redrawing all the original artwork from the classic games but including the QOL and other features from the later games (saves, spindash, extra characters and the like).

Does anyone know why this has been allowed to be remade but the Streets of Rage Remake had the Sega legal team closing the whole thing down?

I know you can still get it but it's :filez: and playing that coach coop on a PS4 would be amazing!

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Excuse me, Knuckles is canonically strong enough to punch Super Sonic so hard he loses his super form. Knuckles doesn't go Super because he doesn't need it.

that was a sucker punch

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

Thank God

Semi-canon? Huh? They're in the games.

So are the Super Emeralds and Hyper Sonic. Iizuka's official word, I believe, is the same on both - they're just there for gameplay purposes when you play those characters solo and to give you something to work towards when S&K is locked onto Sonic 3.

Only Super Sonic, Super Shadow, Super Silver, Burning Blaze, "Super Mecha Sonic", Darkspine Sonic, and Excalibur Sonic exist as canonical powered up forms in the series.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

that was a sucker punch

So being gullible is actually his source of strength.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Weavered posted:

Maybe off topic and I'm not sure if this has been addressed already but...

This game was made by Christian Whitehead who in the past had remade the Megadrive Sonics by basically redrawing all the original artwork from the classic games but including the QOL and other features from the later games (saves, spindash, extra characters and the like).

Does anyone know why this has been allowed to be remade but the Streets of Rage Remake had the Sega legal team closing the whole thing down?

I know you can still get it but it's :filez: and playing that coach coop on a PS4 would be amazing!

Whitehead basically brought his stuff before Sega and campaigned for a job. After remaking three games in an official capacity he pitched Mania building off the Retro Engind he utilized in the earlier remakes. Iizuka and Sonic Team approved the title while also deciding it should serve as an anniversary title and include older zones instead of just new ones, which would have been a shorter game.

Mania didn't begin as a fan project. It was something someone with an established relationship with Sega submitted, and the people managing the brand approved.

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet

TFRazorsaw posted:

Only Super Sonic, Super Shadow, Super Silver, Burning Blaze, "Super Mecha Sonic", Darkspine Sonic, and Excalibur Sonic exist as canonical powered up forms in the series.

Goddammit this game series is full of stupid nerdy poo poo that makes me feel guilty for liking

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Playing with INT as your dump stat

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

McStephenson posted:

Goddammit this game series is full of stupid nerdy poo poo that makes me feel guilty for liking

Any long running canon has this going on. Even Mario has it. Sonic had it before the Modern era even.

The things you like will eventually develop these evil nefarious things called "facts". It's perfectly natural.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Streets of Rage Remake also was released right around the time Sega put up the Streets of Rage games on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So how do you beat Titanic Monarch zone's boss 1 with knuckles? I just damage boosted through it but he seriously can't jump high enough to hit it and any attempts to hurt him results in pain on poor knux's end.

It's really kind of lovely?