Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

Also interviewing is garbage I agree.
But being the interviewer is also very very garbage.

I have interviewed 10 people so far, 8 were terribad, 1 is ok but seems like the kind of guy who licks his finger before turning the page on bis kindle.

The last guy is young and only has 2 years of professional experience but has a bs in comp sci from Michigan tech which is really good.

But the other 8? Hollllllly poo poo friends. If you EVER need a confidence boost, interview other programmers.

better yet, interview recent grads for internships. even the good candidates know nothing and are giant awkward idiots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i think i am good at my job but i am still a blithering idiot in interviews

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

HoboMan posted:

i think i am good at my job but i am still a blithering idiot in interviews

this means the interviews are dumb or you're applying for the wrong jobs

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

lmao

Bhodi posted:

edinburgh is an absolutely beautiful city with a ton of things to do, but affordable it is not

they really like american accents, too :heysexy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ryye-v-8j0

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

there's only one thing that springs up in the mind of a brit right now when they hear an american accent

donald trump

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

qhat posted:

there's only one thing that springs up in the mind of a brit right now when they hear an american accent

donald trump
so true. I don't want to have to fake being a canadian again like people did when bush was in office

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sapozhnik posted:

a complete and unabridged list of nice, affordable, well-paying areas:

lol

jfc some of you remind me of a freelance journalist I heard bitching on a podcast about getting priced out of Oakland but the dude couldn't think of any place to live other than bay area NYC or LA. like I know those are great places by some standards but holy gently caress get over yourselves

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I wouldn't want to be job hunting in somewhere other than a tech hotspot. The jobs are extremely thin and far between outside by comparison.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

a complete and unabridged list of nice, affordable, well-paying areas:

chicago

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

lol

jfc some of you remind me of a freelance journalist I heard bitching on a podcast about getting priced out of Oakland but the dude couldn't think of any place to live other than bay area NYC or LA. like I know those are great places by some standards but holy gently caress get over yourselves

i mean, people do get tunnel vision about the big cities but depending on their field there's often no work in smaller places. why is wanting more opportunities a bad thing?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jony neuemonic posted:

i mean, people do get tunnel vision about the big cities but depending on their field there's often no work in smaller places. why is wanting more opportunities a bad thing?

Also California and NYC have some resemblance of worker rights.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ratbert90 posted:

They both have that at will thing right? That seems like the opposite of having worker's rights.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

qhat posted:

They both have that at will thing right? That seems like the opposite of having worker's rights.

not all states have he same overtime protections as CA :lol:

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

I'm not saying move to bumfucksville (unless you want to I guess?!) but there are other cities with plenty of jobs that pay plenty well that probably don't leap to mind when you think of a "tech hub"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

ratbert90 posted:

OK yeah fair point

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
noncompete clauses are unenforceable in california and employees have stronger ip rights here too

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Munkeymon posted:

I'm not saying move to bumfucksville (unless you want to I guess?!) but there are other cities with plenty of jobs that pay plenty well that probably don't leap to mind when you think of a "tech hub"

post em

not being snarky or anything, i'll check them out when the time comes.

please filter out the ones where the three tall buildings downtown are insurance companies.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

leper khan posted:

not all states have he same overtime protections as CA :lol:

The one thing I miss about the UK was the guaranteed 20 days holiday a year. The employer also can't fire you for anything other than gross misconduct without first warning you and giving you the chance to improve.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you want to play the long game buy something in maine and wait for global warming to improve the winters.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaggar posted:

if you want to play the long game buy something in maine and wait for global warming to improve the winters.

Same but Canada

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Munkeymon posted:

admittedly i'm looking at this from a canadian pov but that hasn't been the case in my experience. vancouver is the first place i've lived where it's felt like i had access to a reasonable number of good jobs. everywhere else they've been pretty thin.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk how this post got here instead of the java thread.

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 16, 2017

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

qhat posted:

Same but Canada

any day now its calgary's day to shine!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sapozhnik posted:

post em

not being snarky or anything, i'll check them out when the time comes.

please filter out the ones where the three tall buildings downtown are insurance companies.

What if they're banks instead? If so, Wilmington is an option. People like to bitch about it but honestly I like living in Wilmington, Delaware, and there are a ton of tech jobs around if you don't mind wading into financial poo poo. Some non-fintech jobs too.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

jony neuemonic posted:

admittedly i'm looking at this from a canadian pov but that hasn't been the case in my experience. vancouver is the first place i've lived where it's felt like i had access to a reasonable number of good jobs. everywhere else they've been pretty thin.

Ya honestly Toronto and Vancouver (maybe Montreal?) are the only places to be for tech here. Outside of those places are a cold sea of nothing. Out of curiosity I looked on indeed recently at Edmonton and there about 2 whole pages of jobs that are even remotely relevant to me.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Shaggar posted:

desperately want to move to portland maine but the closest figgie outpost is probably boston, which, you know, is boston.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
i currently live in republicanville, usa (also known as colorado springs). it's pretty nice as long as you like mountains and avoid the people. it's affordable compared to a lot of places but encroachment from denver is working on fixing that

i want to move to like vancouver or something but i am stuck here for another couple years for Reasons

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

qhat posted:

Ya honestly Toronto and Vancouver (maybe Montreal?) are the only places to be for tech here. Outside of those places are a cold sea of nothing. Out of curiosity I looked on indeed recently at Edmonton and there about 2 whole pages of jobs that are even remotely relevant to me.

i've heard ottawa is decent too, but that's still a short list.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

desperately want to move to portland maine but the closest figgie outpost is probably boston, which, you know, is boston.

yeah Portland is real nice but the figgies are poo poo. boston is ok but its expensive so its a wash on the figgies.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
actually what i really want to do is get a remote job and live wherever the gently caress i want

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

qhat posted:

Yeah, but as a computer toucher it's not nearly as bad as a service worker. Non compete clauses being illegal is nice as well.

I lived in Idaho and now Michigan and worker rights are non existent.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I was randomly browsing las vegas real estate ads and you can get a literal mansion in a reasonable location for the price of a studio apartment in sf

yeah it's all tacky spanish tile and you have to live in las vegas but at least the airport has lots of flights out

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

I was randomly browsing las vegas real estate ads and you can get a literal mansion in a reasonable location for the price of a studio apartment in sf

yeah it's all tacky spanish tile and you have to live in las vegas but at least the airport has lots of flights out
its all well and good until you get a week of 127+ degree weather and the power grid breaks down

at least its a dry heat :shrug:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Arcsech posted:

actually what i really want to do is get a remote job and live wherever the gently caress i want

it is the best.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

MononcQc posted:

it is the best.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

FMguru posted:

its all well and good until you get a week of 127+ degree weather and the power grid breaks down

at least its a dry heat :shrug:
the defense of "it's a dry heat" stops working at, like, 105 degrees. after that you are living in a hellscape

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Elysiume posted:

the defense of "it's a dry heat" stops working at, like, 105 degrees. after that you are living in a hellscape

clearly someone hasn't had to endure 95 degrees with 85% humidity.

I'd give anything for a dry summer...

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I'll take some stupidly high temperature over a Florida summer any goddamned day.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Probably going to decline a second interview at a company who want me back. Never done it before, but I don't really want to have to raise a startup from the toddler years onwards in exchange for less pay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AnoHito posted:

clearly someone hasn't had to endure 95 degrees with 85% humidity.

I'd give anything for a dry summer...

dry heat eventually turns into "oh god i need to get away from the oven" somewhere around 110ish

• Locked thread