Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
There exists no fighting game where players don't poo poo on the netcode, there's bad and less bad.

Just don't buy the ultimate edition, they wouldn't have made the 6 dlc characters at all if the dlc didn't exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

fadam posted:

There are lots of fighting games with good netcode and the feature complete version of the game is literally $119.99 CAD on the Playstation store.

yeah but thats like, $5 in real money

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fellblade posted:

There exists no fighting game where players don't poo poo on the netcode, there's bad and less bad.

Just don't buy the ultimate edition, they wouldn't have made the 6 dlc characters at all if the dlc didn't exist.

People seem happy with the netcode in MK XL, Injustice 2, and KI. I played a buttload of Injustice 2 when it came out and I had very few matches that felt bad.

And I don't entirely understand your second point.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

fadam posted:

Would you guys be more interested in this game if it had a F2P model?

I'm not as down on it as most of the people in here, but I have next to no interest in spending close to a hundred bucks on a game that will probably have bad net code and a small player base.

Considering I've been saying since the drat thing was announced that all of their decisions would be justified if it was a F2P mobile release and the only reason it's what it is is everything needs to be eSports these days, I'd absolutely give it a shot if it was F2P. I can't speak as to how long I'd play for, but I'd give it a go as opposed to not giving a poo poo about the game in it's current form.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
sorry yall but if you have any criticism of the game you are just another entitled fgc member feeling like their time is worth enough to bother with being discerning. lol as if

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Eh, the base game is gonna be "feature complete", DLC characters aren't really features. I mean, you can poo poo on Capcom for announcing 6 characters before even releasing the game while having a pretty limited roster, but DLC is DLC, even if it's aggressive and probably already being worked on DLC.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Dias posted:

Eh, the base game is gonna be "feature complete", DLC characters aren't really features. I mean, you can poo poo on Capcom for announcing 6 characters before even releasing the game while having a pretty limited roster, but DLC is DLC, even if it's aggressive and probably already being worked on DLC.

Yes there are all manner of terrible justifications you can make for being scalped willingly, good point

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Yes there are all manner of terrible justifications you can make for being scalped willingly, good point

I mean, I'm just sayin' you're saying something wrong when there's plenty of legit poo poo moves in MVCI. You can be wrong if you want and really, no one would notice a difference, but there are no features missing unless you buy the $40 season pass. Maybe there are some functions missing, but as far as I can remember they ain't selling this game without story mode unless you pay for it.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Dias posted:

they copy and pasted almost the entire roster and are offering copy and pasted characters as dlc, even with that, there are less characters than the game before it.

the game is not feature complete.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Dias posted:

I mean, I'm just sayin' you're saying something wrong when there's plenty of legit poo poo moves in MVCI. You can be wrong if you want and really, no one would notice a difference, but there are no features missing unless you buy the $40 season pass. Maybe there are some functions missing, but as far as I can remember they ain't selling this game without story mode unless you pay for it.

Actually my friend I think you'll find that you are the one who is wrong.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

anime was right posted:

they copy and pasted almost the entire roster and are offering copy and pasted characters as dlc, even with that, there are less characters than the game before it.

the game is not feature complete.

That means the game is bad, maybe that the game has less features than its predecessor, but "feature complete" implies you need to buy a season pass to get, I'unno, the story mode they promised for the base game. It's just a weird thing when people add DLC characters for any game, really, as "YOU MUST BUY THIS" in the year of our Lord Keits 2017. You wouldn't get it for free in the "good ol' days", you'd just have to buy the revision/expansion pack anyway.

Capcom is still garbage, don't worry, I'm not disagreeing.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

personally, and maybe its just me, but I feel like the roster is a pretty big "feature" in a fighting game

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

fadam posted:

personally, and maybe its just me, but I feel like the roster is a pretty big "feature" in a fighting game

This would be a legitimate point if the roster didn't exist unless you bought each character individually.

e; I have absolutely no doubt this was suggested during design meetings for MVCI.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 16, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fellblade posted:

This would be a legitimate point if the roster didn't exist unless you bought each character individually.

No, actually this doesn't make any sense.

To be clear, I have no problem buying the season pass or whatever for a game if the game is good. I spent the same amount on Injustice 2 that they're charging for the "full" version of MvCI. I care less about the fact that they're charging so much, and more about the fact that they're charging so much for something that looks cheaply made and is probably bad.

Kobold Sex Tape
Feb 17, 2011

they're functions not features, guys. try to keep it straight.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
dlc characters are fine with me but make them be able to be selected in training mode. They won't cuz I can't train against any of the dlc fighters in sfv. mcvi will do the same thing.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

fadam posted:

People seem happy with the netcode in MK XL, Injustice 2, and KI. I played a buttload of Injustice 2 when it came out and I had very few matches that felt bad.

And I don't entirely understand your second point.

So the second point, the DLC characters would not exist if they weren't DLC. The game would have 6 less characters, in fact the game might not have even been made at all without the potential to generate the extra revenue from DLC.

fadam posted:

To be clear, I have no problem buying the season pass or whatever for a game if the game is good. I spent the same amount on Injustice 2 that they're charging for the "full" version of MvCI. I care less about the fact that they're charging so much, and more about the fact that they're charging so much for something that looks cheaply made and is probably bad.

The discussion was about the game being feature complete, you implied that it wasn't feature complete because of 'the roster'.

I am saying that nobody can reasonably say it's feature incomplete due to 'the roster' as it has a base roster of 30+ unique characters.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

I mean, that's a completely legitimate reason to talk poo poo about a season pass. I still think equating DLC characters with base features echoes some dumb DLC complaints to the tune of "it's developers withhelding stuff to make more money" when usually that poo poo wouldn't exist or continued support wouldn't exist without those DLC plans, and if we're gonna give Capcom poo poo I'd rather focus on how BAD their DLC plans are. I hate how aggressive it is, Injustice 2 and MKX at least gave us sturdy rosters and waited more than no time at all to announce their DLC plans and pricing. MVCI just feels like Capcom wants to cash in with the least effort possible, it borders on mobage BS mentality-wise.

Kobold Sex Tape posted:

they're functions not features, guys. try to keep it straight.

I was gonna make that joke and deleted it.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Fellblade posted:

I am saying that nobody can reasonably say it's feature incomplete due to 'the roster' as it has a base roster of 30+ unique characters.

Sure, but that roster isn't complete unless you buy the season pass.

Again, my problem isn't that the season pass exists or that the game is unplayable without it, my point is that only very good games can get away with doing stuff like this.

$100+ bucks for the complete version of a game that looks like it could have been a F2P mobile game is nuts.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 16, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

heres my point:

marvel vs capcom infinite bad

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

zooted heh posted:

They won't cuz I can't train against any of the dlc fighters in sfv. mcvi will do the same thing.

this is seriously loco

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

the MvCI Evo 2018 Finals will have literally hundreds of thousands of stream views

see you there! :-)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

it blows my mind that this game is releasing with like 4 new characters on the base roster and still has the outdated Spencer. MVC3 had 20 brand new on the base roster plus around 10 other new ones for UMVC3 expansion.

Even Tekken 7 has more new base characters, and also sold more in 2 months than SFV did in an entire year so lol at MVCI's chances of matching that

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Race Realists posted:

the MvCI Evo 2018 Finals will have literally hundreds of thousands of stream views

On what basis do you believe that the game is going to be so wildly successful? Why do you feel so strongly about this game doing well and pulling huge numbers, in light of the fact that Capcom has bungled every major FG release in this decade so far?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Race Realists posted:

KOF XIV (Friday) – 32,760
Guilty Gear Xrd REV2 (Saturday) – 38,518
Injustice 2 (Saturday) – 45,557
Super Smash Bros. Melee (Saturday) – 128,121
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Sunday) – 84,952
BlazBlue: Central Fiction (Sunday) – 97,605
Tekken 7 (Sunday) – 145,657
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Sunday) – 143,008
Street Fighter V (Sunday) 179,072

i really doubt itll do much more than umvc3

like im not even saying this game will be some massive failure just when even the most popular game at last year's evo didnt get to 200k its weird to think that mvci will

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

pissdude posted:

On what basis do you believe that the game is going to be so wildly successful? Why do you feel so strongly about this game doing well and pulling huge numbers, in light of the fact that Capcom has bungled every major FG release in this decade so far?

Oh i know the game is gonna bomb sales wise.

Doesn't mean its Scene cant be followed on streams though

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Endorph posted:

like im not even saying this game will be some massive failure just when even the most popular game at last year's evo didnt get to 200k its weird to think that mvci will

nice fake stats to bolster your argument. what kind of nerd wastes time typing all that out

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Endorph posted:

I agree with the general point (that MVCI probably won't get to 200k viewers) but it's a bit unfair to compare these numbers when the games might be in different time slots.

Look at the numbers from 2016 where Marvel does much better:

Tekken 7: Fated Retribution (Saturday) - 35,498 viewers
Smash Bros. Wii U (Saturday) - 71,141 viewers
Pokken Tournament (Saturday) - 23,980 viewers
Killer Instinct (Saturday) - 25,596 viewers
Mortal Kombat XL (Sunday) - 104,586 viewers
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Sunday) - 121,878 viewers
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator (Sunday) - 136,914 main channel
Super Smash Bros. Melee (Sunday) - 219,125 main channel
Street Fighter V (Sunday) - 182,716 main channel

Marvel had a much better viewership when it wasn't the first morning slot. And you should see that the games that had Saturday Slots all did much better on Sunday Slots, cause it shows how much viewership changes based on slots. If you put MVCI at a better position it'd probably have as much numbers as UMVC3 had in 2015 (which was the peak afaik, at ~165k) unless the game ends up worse than SF5.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Race Realists posted:

Oh i know the game is gonna bomb sales wise.

Doesn't mean its Scene cant be followed on streams though

Really? Because you seemed to think it was going to have a big player base earlier.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

I always like the idea that when the entire SA FGC shits on something it's because of groupthink nonsense reasons or just a love of shitposting or anything other than it being bad, mostly because it implies that goons don't argue over everything and it's quite nice in that sort of naive way

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

brian posted:

I always like the idea that when the entire SA FGC shits on something it's because of groupthink nonsense reasons or just a love of shitposting or anything other than it being bad, mostly because it implies that goons don't argue over everything and it's quite nice in that sort of naive way

We are simultaneously a hivemind and also a group of contrarians that love making GBS threads on each others' opinions

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
Both sides are equally bad

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

fadam posted:

Really? Because you seemed to think it was going to have a big player base earlier.

there is not nearly enough :smug: in your post.

the people who do the most amount of bitching about will either

A. Bum their friends for a free copy while still bitching endlessly about the game on SRK.

B. Pirate the game while still bitching endlessly about it on SRK

C. Wait till the "complete" version comes out half price while bitching endlessly about the game on SRK.

or more realistically

D. Follow the Scene almost religiously on tourny Streams, make a bunch of toxic poo poo posts "HURR DURR $hills CapCucks :downs:" on the stream chat while bitching endlessly about the game on SRK

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think ive seen more than five pro sfv matches so iunno why this game would be any different

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Race Realists posted:

A. Bum their friends for a free copy while still bitching endlessly about the game on SRK.

C. Wait till the "complete" version comes out half price while bitching endlessly about the game on SRK.

or more realistically

D. Follow the Scene almost religiously on tourny Streams, make a bunch of toxic poo poo posts "HURR DURR $hills CapCucks :downs:" on the stream chat while bitching endlessly about the game on SRK

lol why do people always say this poo poo about bad games

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ill pick up a copy down the road if monster Hunter is fun to play

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Race Realists posted:

or more realistically

This sounds like damage control. You seem to want to defend the game without actually having to commit to anything so you do this weird two-step where you talk about how the game is going to fail and sell like poo poo but also have "hundreds of thousands" of stream views or whatever because the FGC is just filled with crybabies who want to talk poo poo about everything.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Watch Monster Hunter just be a re-skinned Soki from tatsunoko 'Function'.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

Race Realists posted:

or more realistically

wait, people talk about games on srk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It is still very funny to me that a bunch of people (myself included) figured they weren't going to include the X-Men, but instead replace them with all the characters they've been pushing recently like the Inhumans and Squirrel Girl and Gwenpool etc. but they didn't even have the money to do that.

At least Black Panther and Thanos are cool. Gamora lol

• Locked thread