Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

LinYutang posted:

Why would Cersei have trouble believing zombies exist considering that her bodyguard is one

This part actually makes sense to me. She has no reason to believe that there is a world ending army up there, waiting to devour everything and everyone, especially since this information is coming from her enemies. A single Zombie probably wouldn't even convince her, but she actually does want a truce now, no matter the reason, so it's gonna work.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

The last hero wielded a dragonsteel sword according to some scroll Sam reads at the castle black library.

But is that canon/in the books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

esperterra posted:

My big question is this: since it was clearly a trap and NK has some kind of foresight, why did he still let everyone live? Why did he kill airborne Viserion rather than grounded Drogon? If he needs a dragon to get past the wall he can get one and kill his main enemy all at once.

Unless he needs Jon or Dany for something else in the future? Was he scared that not letting them get away could lead to one of the remaining two dragons killing him?

hosed if I know. hosed if it will ever be explained.

the answer is bad writing

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

the answer is bad writing

It is known.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Arya sucks and she is a bad actor

I think Maisie Williams checked out after she tried to be all "Arya wouldn't run away like an acrobat after being stabbed in the gut" last season and the director told her to shut up and do it anyway.

I assume they're just overriding all of her suggestions, because she's been great before, I don't think she suddenly unlearned how to act, they're just writing Arya shittily.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Dialogue has been awfully bad lately, not even the really good actors can do much with it

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Some child actors (many child actors) get worse as they get older, but I agree it's almost def the writing's fault. Arya has gone from believable to a terminator and back to being a petulant child.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
She's a lovely girl but she was terrible in Doctor Who, really wooden. You can compensate for that with good storytelling and better actors to bounce off and learn from, but most of her dialogue this year has been with her BFF in real life who wouldn't be able, or willing, to give her the same sort of advice that someone like Charles Dance could.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
why didn't x , y, z a b c logical thing happen in this episode is the same answer as the battle of the bastards where jon + a loving giant got surrounded on an open plain by a shield wall moving at .5 mph. the writers thought it'd be cool and made it happen. they're idiots. move on.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

But is that canon/in the books?

Yeah, from the first affc Sam chapter I think.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

RC Cola posted:

Do dany and jon gently caress tho

Of course they do.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

esperterra posted:

In other news I liked the scene where Sansa sends Brienne away, which I'd hope is exactly why she said (she's not walking back into Cersei's hands, and what would the lords of Winterfell do if she left her seat? They're already antsy about Jon leaving to get allies, I can't see them being happy about Sansa leaving to meet with Lannisters) and not just because Littlefinger implied Brienne will protect Arya.

It's to allow Brienne to come in contact with characters in the south, like the Hound and Jaime. There is no logical reason for Sansa to send her south. Additionally the show wants us to believe that Sansa sends Brienne down because of what LF told her, so we can all be shocked wenn she say "LORD BAELISH" instead of "Arya" in episode 7.

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 16, 2017

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
If I was Sansa id marry little finger and then murder him

e: maybe say something like, "so how'd you like that little prick?" Right after he gets stabbed

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I think the funniest thing about Arya's face bag is that they're so obviously made of rubber. If they were leathery rags I'd be more into it.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Solice Kirsk posted:

He can't kill Jon because he loves his brother. Night King is Bran. It is known.

Powers were embedded into the nk by the children, the three eyes Raven tree walkie-lookie power were given also by the children?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

esperterra posted:

My big question is this: since it was clearly a trap and NK has some kind of foresight, why did he still let everyone live? Why did he kill airborne Viserion rather than grounded Drogon? If he needs a dragon to get past the wall he can get one and kill his main enemy all at once.

Unless he needs Jon or Dany for something else in the future? Was he scared that not letting them get away could lead to one of the remaining two dragons killing him?

What's that in the snow over there? Is that the script? NK did you read the script?

I'm still laughing at how dumb Benjen's appearance was. Someone in the writing room definitely has a list of minor characters to get rid of and Uncle Ben got the lowest effort sendoff yet.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So this bag of faces that Arya has, was Ed Sheeran's face at the top of the bag? If not, huge missed opportunity.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

bloom posted:

I'm still laughing at how dumb Benjen's appearance was. Someone in the writing room definitely has a list of minor characters to get rid of and Uncle Ben got the lowest effort sendoff yet.

He literally shows up out of nowhere. It's Benjen ex machina.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I rather suspect it was meant to be a great "yay he's back" SHOCK HORROR I CANT BELIVE THEY KILLED HIM. Moment but hosed up because he's been away so long that no one is invested in his character.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
UnBenjen is such a lame character compared to Coldhands,

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

hahahahahaha the amount of blood coming out of the dragon.

holy poo poo that's some kill bill bullshit.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hot takes from the episode:
1. The A-Team owned, even if it was the most obvious fanservice schlock this show has ever had.
2. It was pretty convenient Dany had just gotten her winter-themed dress back from the dry cleaners in time to need to head up and help Jon out.
3. Arya is completely and utterly insufferable now, and Sansa isn't far behind her. They're actively dragging down the plot in WF now and I honestly don't think I'll even be able to enjoy LF getting iced next episode because it's going to be Arya and Sansa who profit from it.
4. Speaking of insufferable, add Tyrion and Dany's dynamic to the list. Their endless go around of "Don't use violence!" "No!" has been retread into the dirt. Also D&D must be really proud of that "break the wheel" speech because they will not shut the gently caress up about.
5. Once again, we have a scene where a good actor points out Dany and Jon want to gently caress, because Clarke and Harrington are incapable of acting like they want to gently caress.

I honestly can't tell if I liked the episode or not. The high points were really high, but the low points were abysmally low.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I still like how in the last episode, Arya, who is a trained and competent assassin who hides in plain sight leaning around a corner to spy on Littlefinger.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

lezard_valeth posted:

I hope that Viserion kinda becomes more White Walkery on his next appearance. I get that they wanted to do the "spooky eye" reveal thing (even though it was pretty obvious that he was gonna get turned when you saw the zombies pulling him out) but when NK turned the baby into a WW his skin also became ice.

I just want my Blue Eyed Wight Dragon to look more frosty flavor and less contact lense swap

The transformation takes longer because dragons are bigger than babbies.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
After the books I really begrudge episodes that don't show enough happening on King's Landing,

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Eastdrom posted:

Yeah what the gently caress man i just watched it and that bothered me a lot too. Also the geyser of blood pissing out of Viserion from that ice spear. Do the white walkers have some magical spear that explodes in fire(?) on impact, or did it hit the dragons badly exposed fuel tank. Or do dragons just pop like loving balloons because they are 'flesh made fire' when they get pricked and why the gently caress didn't that happen to drogon when that arguably much larger spear hit him in the chest. Good episode though.

I thought the bolt hit Drogon in his wing/shoulder whereas the javelin hit Viserion in his throat. That would explain everything.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I thought the bolt hit Drogon in his wing/shoulder whereas the javelin hit Viserion in his throat. That would explain everything.

It did. The "mechanics" of the Viserion kill are fine, it's just the spear itself being a really dumb power to have.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

learnincurve posted:

After the books I really begrudge episodes that don't show enough happening on King's Landing,

I like this season but it really sucks that Kings Landing seems to have like three people in it right now.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

WampaLord posted:

It did. The "mechanics" of the Viserion kill are fine, it's just the spear itself being a really dumb power to have.

I mean the NK is what, at least a level 20 lich? Meanwhile Ice Spear is only a 3rd level spell, if anything it's sort of piddly.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

esperterra posted:

The better question is why Jon felt compelled to do a hero rush against the Night King instead of just jumping on the dragon with everyone else and telling Dany to drive-by roast his rear end.

The answer of course being: bad writing.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Also he didn't summon a magic spear into existence. He was handed a pre-made one.

Yeah it flew pretty magically but those spears still have to be forged by the finest undead icesmiths.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

WampaLord posted:

It would have been fine if they'd done it better visually, with the Night King either having normal follow-through to his throw so he didn't look like a robot, or just levitating it because why the gently caress not. And also the spear not flying in a different direction than it's pointing, which I've already mentioned twice but I can't get over how bad it looks.

Then again it's a little strange they'd have such a perfect anti-dragon weapon when they've never fought dragons before and might not even have known they still existed.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Noctone posted:

The better question is why Jon felt compelled to do a hero rush against the Night King instead of just jumping on the dragon with everyone else and telling Dany to drive-by roast his rear end.

The answer of course being: bad writing.

Stuff like this wouldn't stick out so much in a TV show if GRRM hadn't taken such pains to avoid it, sometimes even to the story's detriment.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It would have been fine if they'd done it better visually, with the Night King either having normal follow-through to his throw so he didn't look like a robot, or just levitating it because why the gently caress not. And also the spear not flying in a different direction than it's pointing, which I've already mentioned twice but I can't get over how bad it looks.

Then again it's a little strange they'd have such a perfect anti-dragon weapon when they've never fought dragons before and might not even have known they still existed.

Arent they immortal beings from much before men was even in Westeros? And also magical. They probably do know about dragons

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Sydin posted:

Also D&D must be really proud of that "break the wheel" speech because they will not shut the gently caress up about.

It is their equivalent of Make America Great Again a phrase that every viewer can project their ideas into because Dany never specified what it means.

End feudalism? Clearly not, she wants to become an absolutist queen.
Democracy? Such a system would make the wheel just spin faster not break it.

So Dany is going to break the wheel so she can be the Breaker of Chains and the Wheel.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Arent they immortal beings from much before men was even in Westeros? And also magical. They probably do know about dragons

Maybe. All we know is there were no dragons in Westeros until Aegon I, and the Others never crossed the wall after that.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wait no, wasn't it also implied in the show that the Others were created by the Children during their war with the First Men? So they wouldn't predate men.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

all the lower rank walkers carry those ice spear things, only the night king carries an actual sword-type weapon

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

jfood posted:

all the lower rank walkers carry those ice spear things, only the night king carries an actual sword-type weapon

didn't Jon kill a ww guy using a sword

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

jon's killed two walkers with a sword now, a sword named longclaw...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

All of the Winterfell stuff seems so superfluous because there's absolutely no stakes to it and it seems tacked on to the whole plot that matters that involves the rest of the show. I think the actors are giving it as much care and enthusiasm as the writers themselves.

• Locked thread