Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Randbrick posted:

I look forward to the day the Antifa riot control methodology is taught in law enforcement circles.

They defended a city from a riot. Without any of the enormous institutional advantages of the government.

Guns everywhere, and no shots fired. There's real talent and discipline there. In a saner world these guys would do this professionally.
It is good to see this sentiment is not so taboo in this thread as it was even yesterday. Although maybe that's just the time of day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

I mean, isn't showing up with torches, yelling racial epithets, and wishing the genocide of non-whites a good litmus test of "incitement to imminent lawless actions"?

not really, no

wishing the genocide of non-whites is not imminent: it's incitement to lawless action, but not imminent lawless action and that's pretty much the specific distinction drawn in brandenberg where it was a KKK guy calling for "revengance" against the usual enemies. yelling racial epithets is not incitement, even though it's vile. the torches are not really incitement, it's something they're doing to seem threatening and poo poo but i'm not seeing how you make it incitement, let alone imminent unless there's speeches calling to commit arson or the like

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

As hosed up as this entire situation is, I at least appreciate the trajectory of events.

:patriot: We're taking down this monument.
:godwinning: NO gently caress YOU WHITE POWER
:patriot: We're taking down all of these monuments, as fast as possible, and we might break some. Also your face is on CNN now.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah he's saying it was a corrosive acid attack mixed in with pepper spray except his eyelids, face, and sunglasses are fine. I would say he probably just squirted himself with a little shot of something spicy while no one was looking. His face is completely fine in the hospital photos.

Hahaha these guys are straight up cucking themselves in public. May they never move past the shame society brings to bear.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

evilweasel posted:

i don't know what feingold's problem is but if he couldn't beat ron johnson i think his political career is done

It's not Feingold's problem it's that the Wisconsin electorate has moved hard right in the past ten years.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

boner confessor posted:

read this thread for more about baked alaska faking his own macing for attention

https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/897093928150761472

There are pepper sprays for training that only shoot an inert liquid, so it looks authentic but does nothing. The ER photo of him without a hint of redness or puffiness proves that whatever was in his face was not an irritant. That poo poo is no joke.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Your Taint posted:

I'm agreeing with loving Geraldo. That's how crazy things are right now.

I mean... he was being facetious without realizing no one actually gives a poo poo about Columbus.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chilichimp posted:

I mean... he was being facetious without realizing no one actually gives a poo poo about Columbus.

Or that "removing a statue" is in no way synonymous with "erasing from history".

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Too Shy Guy posted:

As hosed up as this entire situation is, I at least appreciate the trajectory of events.

:patriot: We're taking down this monument.
:godwinning: NO gently caress YOU WHITE POWER
:patriot: We're taking down all of these monuments, as fast as possible, and we might break some. Also your face is on CNN now.

It is truly glorious.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
This article is interesting: http://prospect.org/article/steve-bannon-unrepentant

quote:

“To me,” Bannon said, “the economic war with China is everything. And we have to be maniacally focused on that. If we continue to lose it, we're five years away, I think, ten years at the most, of hitting an inflection point from which we'll never be able to recover.”

quote:

I asked Bannon about the connection between his program of economic nationalism and the ugly white nationalism epitomized by the racist violence in Charlottesville and Trump’s reluctance to condemn it. Bannon, after all, was the architect of the strategy of using Breitbart to heat up white nationalism and then rely on the radical right as Trump’s base.

He dismissed the far right as irrelevant and sidestepped his own role in cultivating it: “Ethno-nationalism—it's losers. It's a fringe element. I think the media plays it up too much, and we gotta help crush it, you know, uh, help crush it more.”

“These guys are a collection of clowns,” he added.

From his lips to Trump’s ear.

“The Democrats,” he said, “the longer they talk about identity politics, I got ’em. I want them to talk about racism every day. If the left is focused on race and identity, and we go with economic nationalism, we can crush the Democrats.”

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lol at the guy on msnbc calling the alt-right "Vanilla ISIS"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evilweasel posted:

not really, no

wishing the genocide of non-whites is not imminent: it's incitement to lawless action, but not imminent lawless action and that's pretty much the specific distinction drawn in brandenberg where it was a KKK guy calling for "revengance" against the usual enemies. yelling racial epithets is not incitement, even though it's vile. the torches are not really incitement, it's something they're doing to seem threatening and poo poo but i'm not seeing how you make it incitement, let alone imminent unless there's speeches calling to commit arson or the like

I mean, yeah, if everything was separate I could see it.

But combining everything together, it seems like imminently is pretty darn likely.

I guess the next question would be: If Nazis keep getting punched every time they rally, and of course, punching people is illegal (although Nazis punching SHOULD be legal, I digress), then could eventually a court decide that Nazi speech poses an imminent threat of lawlessness?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The local news here in Charlottesville just had a story from Rob Bell (if you follow Chris-Chan, you may recognize the name) about how Virginia has a law against removing historical monuments. So just removing the Lee statue in the dead of night may not work.

Does it have a law against removing monuments that are historical fiction?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Chilichimp posted:

Or that he killed lots of south and central americans.

Burn down the Mayflower monument tho

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Hey Bannon, News Flash, Trump doesn't give a single gently caress about your grand plans for anything and will cast you aside at a moments notice once you start to irritate him.

So keep on keeping on.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

evilweasel posted:

i mean the durham people are getting prosecuted so i wouldn't exactly recommend it

And the people caught on camera beating Deandre Harris haven't.

:murica:

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

boner confessor posted:

read this thread for more about baked alaska faking his own macing for attention

The summary of this is that they had like half a dozen cameras pointed everywhere and recording yet all video around the purported attack no longer exists and the racist claiming to be a victim doesn't really show any symptoms.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also they deleted some of the livestreams

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ratbert90 posted:

But combining everything together, it seems like imminently is pretty darn likely.

I guess the next question would be: If Nazis keep getting punched every time they rally, and of course, punching people is illegal (although Nazis punching SHOULD be legal, I digress), then could eventually a court decide that Nazi speech poses an imminent threat of lawlessness?

You're now missing the incitement part. You're basically arguing that violence is likely because of all of these factors but you aren't pointing to any incitement (calling for people to take that lawless action and egging them on to do it)

As to the second question, the fact that people may act violently in response to speech doesn't let you ban the speech - this is called the heckler's veto argument. The speakers have to be the ones calling for violence and that's the violence that needs to be likely to happen imminently.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

Listen you guys I'm totally in control and everyone is wetting themselves over what brilliant move I'll pull next!

Edit: I agree, it is an interesting insight on how this shitheel thinks the future should play out.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

boner confessor posted:

It's entirely possible they faked their own macing to draw attention to the "violent antifa" who were assaulting them with pepper spray.

They had an awful lot of milk gallons handy to pour on the faces of... the alt-right leaders who were maced for their cause.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002

Kilroy posted:

It is good to see this sentiment is not so taboo in this thread as it was even yesterday. Although maybe that's just the time of day.
The one insight fascists have is that strange and extraordinary times universally weaken the hold of democratic institutions. Weakened institutions are vulnerable to bold ideas and taboo changes, as people fill the void of public action with private, legally unsanctioned behavior. The Antifa seized on a singular moment in time and conducted themselves heroically. The ultimate triumph of antifascism is truth, and behavior in the world remains the ultimate truth. The truth is that Antifa folks deserve public recognition and greater legitimacy, both morally and practically, because action count, especially when you put your rear end on the line for other people.

Now it is incumbent on us to ensure people know that truth. You can absolutely see the basic, textbook agitprop from the right wing, trying to muddy the public discourse on loving nazis. Fascism is first and foremost an aesthetic rejection of reality. And it's bad tacky aesthetics, too.

Everyone must read all of the Frankfurt School to prepare for the thunderdome to come.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

boner confessor posted:

Incredible how they were several paces away from anyone that wasn't a facist and let he magically got sprayed.

Hilariously pathetic.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GOOCHY posted:

It's not Feingold's problem it's that the Wisconsin electorate has moved hard right in the past ten years.

I don't care if it's his fault or not his fault but if he can't beat Johnson either no democrat can win statewide or feingold can't and in neither of those cases is he winning another race. Johnson was a dead man walking.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I'm sure this must have been posted ages, ago, but it's my favorite news story of the day (maybe even week) so it deserves another posting:

quote:

Christopher Cantwell, the vocal white supremacist featured in VICE News Tonight‘s Charlottesville documentary, showed a different side of himself after he realized that law enforcement had issued a warrant for his arrest. Cantwell recorded a video that quickly circulated on social media, showing him crying in fear that the police might hurt him.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/08/white-supremacist-cries-after-realizing-he-could-be-arrested/

Trump-sama was supposed to make sure this wouldn't happen! :cry:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Columbus's arrival didn't "ignite" genocide incidentally, Columbus was literally a committer of genocide and absolutely should not be honored.

quote:

When he arrived on Hispaniola in 1508, Las Casas says, "there were 60,000 people living on this island, including the Indians; so that from 1494 to 1508, over three million people had perished from war, slavery, and the mines. Who in future generations will believe this? I myself writing it as a knowledgeable eyewitness can hardly believe it...."

http://www.historyisaweapon.com/defcon1/zinncol1.html

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's interesting, yes, but you'd basically do well to not take Bannon on his word on anything.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

ratbert90 posted:

No, any argument along those lines is called a "heckler's veto" (because it would allow anyone to suppress anyone else's speech by being sufficiently violent) and is essentially never a valid argument in First Amendment law. For Brandenburg vs. Ohio, the speech itself has to call for imminent lawless action - it's an extremely hard standard to meet. For example "This guy's house should be burned down" is protected speech but "Let's burn this guy's house down now" is not. In other words, the decision is a ridiculous crock of poo poo that removes any possibility of meaningful incitement charges for anything short of standing at the head of an angry mob and shouting orders.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

FizFashizzle posted:

It's good, but unfortunately someone already came up with that for those Bundy fuckwits who took over the Malheur Wildlife Refuge a while back.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/zackbeauchamp/status/897634560539860992

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/indivisible_tn/status/897950697538375681

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

It's good, but unfortunately someone already came up with that for those Bundy fuckwits who took over the Malheur Wildlife Refuge a while back.

you think they are different people?

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
At what point does it become imperative to denounce "social organizations" that espouse a rememberance of hatred, such as the Daughters of the Confederacy? I acknowledge that their organization has been active in supporting the removal of public Confederate memorial statues, but still how can such a group continue to claim some kind of moral independence from the Confederate-sympathizing white supremacy we are seeing today?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It's terrifying that some of our senators actually believe that nonsense.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Burning_Monk posted:

you think they are different people?

Sovereign Citizens and Neo-Nazis are two different groups, so yes.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

From now on, anytime someone asks me to do something I don't want to do, like the laundry, I'm going to grab them in a panic and call them a George Soros operative.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

Remember when The Oregon rednecks were called Y'all Qaeda.(and before they got jury nulled)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh my god his hand ew ew ew ew ew :barf:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I like how the instant he knows he's on camera he takes his hands off the lady. loving creep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

PhazonLink posted:

Remember when The Oregon rednecks were called Y'all Qaeda.(and before they got jury nulled)

Vanilla ISIS was used then, too.

There was a good Boko Haram one I'm not remembering, too.

Edit: I think it was Yokel Haram lol

• Locked thread