Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Peter Davison is such a good actor and he's so wasted by Doctor Who :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

docbeard posted:

Wait, Gold's leaving too? Didn't really see that coming.

I really, really liked his theme for Capaldi's Doctor.

The Doctors theme is the I Am The Doctor and it always will be. :colbert:

edit: The Eleventh Hour is Murray Golds finest hour. When rewatching the episode the music of the start perfectly bridges between the 10th and 11th Doctor eras. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5685vhoOx8 It's the Eleventh doctors theme filtered through the previous series and it is glorious.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 16, 2017

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

Peter Davison is such a good actor and he's so wasted by Doctor Who :(

Of all the runs I have watched, I found that Davison's was the one I least enjoyed. His Tardis crew was constantly at each other's throat and whining seemed to be the way they interacted with the Doctor in general. Quality being awful aside, Colin Bakers run was more memorable and more interesting to watch. It says a lot I think that the go to episode for Davison is the one people argue shouldn't be anyone's first watch, because it's the episode he regenerates in.

Edit: I think I liked Black Orchid best of all his serials.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Mymla posted:

Extremely surprised to learn that people apparently didn't like doctor twelve. He's by far my favorite doctor, and I'm gonna miss him a lot.

He's popular with clever people with good taste but not with the general public. Whether that is Capaldi's fault, or Moffats, or just part of the gradual decline in viewers since Tennant left, who knows.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
There were problems with Capaldi's run, but he didn't start by strangling Clara so, you know, I think comparing it to Colin Baker's run is a bit... disingenuous.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Rifftrax is doing the Five Doctors for one of their live shows, and some one in the thread over there asked what he needed to know to get up to speed for it, knowing nothing about the show.

I think I covered it quite well

I'm definitely going to start referring to Richard Hurndall as the Furst Doctor and David Bradley as the Phirst Doctor from now on.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bicyclops posted:

I'm definitely going to start referring to Richard Hurndall as the Furst Doctor

What, he was in National Lampoon's Animal House?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If the first doctor was recast in The Five Doctors, then why are people all up in arms about it happening again?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I seem to recall people taking issue with Hurndall's casting in the first place, so it's not inconsistent.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

If the first doctor was recast in The Five Doctors, then why are people all up in arms about it happening again?

Because it wasn't any good. Hopefully it's better this time around.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Psst

No one liked it then either

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

Psst

No one liked it then either

In fact, David Bradley is almost guaranteed to be better than Hurndall. Maybe I'm not giving him much of a chance, though. The Five Doctors is an enormous mess.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Mymla posted:

Extremely surprised to learn that people apparently didn't like doctor twelve. He's by far my favorite doctor, and I'm gonna miss him a lot.

I still haven't caught up - I'm wrapping up the second volume for River Song, have the UNIT boxset with the Silence, then the second volume for Classic Doctors/New Monsters, THEN I have a whole bunch of Torchwood to listen to.

President Trump is seriously loving with my audio listening schedule. As a white male, I'm slightly miffed.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

In fact, David Bradley is almost guaranteed to be better than Hurndall. Maybe I'm not giving him much of a chance, though. The Five Doctors is an enormous mess.

I find the Five Doctors a lot of fun (even Hurndall's performance, if only for his aggrieved "AND WHAT ARE YOU YOUNG PEOPLE DOING IN MY TARDIS?!?") but I'd be hard-pressed to call it actually good.

David Bradley is a hell of an actor though, so I am not worried in the least.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

everyone hated it then too, friendo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

remusclaw posted:

Of all the runs I have watched, I found that Davison's was the one I least enjoyed. His Tardis crew was constantly at each other's throat and whining seemed to be the way they interacted with the Doctor in general. Quality being awful aside, Colin Bakers run was more memorable and more interesting to watch. It says a lot I think that the go to episode for Davison is the one people argue shouldn't be anyone's first watch, because it's the episode he regenerates in.

Edit: I think I liked Black Orchid best of all his serials.

Davison was super good in All Creatures Great and Small drat it why they ruin his doctor run with bad script

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Mymla posted:

You'll find people who like or don't like anything. Personally I liked the more prickly series 8 Doctor, was a little disappointed when he mellowed out, and was glad to get him back for the series 9 finale even if it was only so he could be killed off forever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cruel Rose posted:

So uh... um......... has anyone listened to the new Torchwood season Big Finish is doing? Morbidly curious about it.

Only listened to the first of the four episodes so far. It's....okay. Seems much more explicitly political than anything in the Who canon ever really gets, which isn't a problem in and of itself...but I'm hoping the actual Torchwood elements start being more in play soon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

An informative look at JNT's day.

https://twitter.com/pipmadeley/status/897923637193330688

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The_Doctor posted:

As someone who's fallen out of BF listening, what's the explanation for 7 travelling with both Mel and Ace?

She's been left by Sabalom Glitz for reasons I can't remember, and he bumps into her again, only a short while after Dragonfire from Mel's perspective, but much much later from his and Ace's.
---
Related to the Doctor discussion, I always like it when the Doctor is a getting a bit arsey and short-tempered, whatever the reason.
Five is good at when he gets annoyed because it's like Davison is trying to supress it, to contrast Five's more mild-mannered temper, before it erupts, whereas Six is good at indignant outrage.

And of course, Capaldi has that amazing death glare.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 17, 2017

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
woke Dalek Sec

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pesky Splinter posted:

She's been left by Sabalom Glitz for reasons I can't remember, and he bumps into her again, only a short while after Dragonfire from Mel's perspective, but much much later from his and Ace's.
---
Related to the Doctor discussion, I always like it when the Doctor is a getting a bit arsey and short-tempered, whatever the reason.
Five is good at when he gets annoyed because it's like Davison is trying to supress it, to contrast Five's more mild-mannered temper, before it erupts, whereas Six is good at indignant outrage.

And of course, Capaldi has that amazing death glare.

Does Mel notice how much more dark and manipulative the Doctor is? I might have to pick those up. Which audios are those?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Astroman posted:

Does Mel notice how much more dark and manipulative the Doctor is? I might have to pick those up. Which audios are those?

I want to say she does, but I can't honestly remember. I know she acknowledges Ace has matured since they last met.

They meet again in A Life of Crime, and then she carries on through Fiesta of the Damned, Maker of Demons, The High Price of Parking, and The Blood Furnace (which has just come out at the time of this post), and then next months, The Silurian Candidate.

Of those, I thought A Life of Crime was fine, and delves into a very recent and divisive Doctor Who topic; Ace and Mel think the Doctor's regenerated into a woman for various plot reasons. I liked Fiesta of the Damned (Spanish civil war setting), thought that Maker of Demons was way too on the nose with the Shakespeare references for no real reason (the plot is The Tempest, which the characters repeatedly bring up), and haven't listened to the others yet.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 17, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

You'll find people who like or don't like anything. Personally I liked the more prickly series 8 Doctor, was a little disappointed when he mellowed out, and was glad to get him back for the series 9 finale even if it was only so he could be killed off forever.

I feel like he has a lot more range as the mellowed out Doctor. Just watching him move from delight to anger to fear to exasperation in the emoji bot episode was definitely a thing to behold. I don't mind "prickly," but the mystery they were trying to preserve with "Can you trust him?" was limiting. It felt like he was always dismissive, cynical or frantic in season 8, whereas in season 10, he chooses words to relish and roll over like Seven, he magnanimously speaks about utter nonsense like Four, comforts and gently tutors like Two, and gets furiously outraged like Six.

I will miss Capaldi because he's a talented and experienced actor with a ton of range, but hopefully I'll be so busy getting blown away by Jodie Whittaker that I'll barely notice.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

"Oxygen"....is good

Hello bicyclops

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

"Oxygen"....is good

Hello bicyclops

Hiya Toxx. I too enjoyed the collapse of space capitalism.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

It was very good, and enjoyable

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't like Oxygen as much as Mathieson's series 8 episodes but it's a ton better than The Girl who Died, and cements him as someone Chris Chibnall would be wise to keep around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"Like workers everywhere, we're fighting the suits" was such a great line :)

Edit: I just wrote entirely too many words about Oxygen over in Lick the Whisk!'s Season 10 review thread. Lick also wrote what I thought was a really great response to the idea of political commentary in Doctor Who, which you all may find interesting.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 17, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Oh, one side point that's related to the "people hated it then too!":

I remember seeing a few people (not just here) saying about the finale "It's great that the Master doesn't really have a big plan other than just loving with the Doctor again!"

Well, that was only really a thing that happened in Timeflight and Timeflight is unbearably poo poo, partially because of the stupid bit with the Master.

So there.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

...the Master's plan was to lead an army of Cybermen and take over the universe, and then when that went wrong his plan was to escape

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Master has never really been big on plans, or thinking things through, or anything related to coherent thought and rational planning

Having seen every single original Master episode and almost all of them after, I can say with 100% certainty that the Master generally does not actually give a poo poo. He shows up somewhere and just fucks around and makes poo poo up as he goes.

Some times the Doctor shows up so he decides to gently caress with him too during his loving around. Some times he has to find the Doctor to save him, usually, exclusively, as a consequence of his loving around.

Like even with, say, End of Time- that wasn't part of some grand scheme. The Doctor fell into his lap, he just happened to get his memories back, had the TARDIS all to himself, and then the drat thing got locked to two years.

Any time the Master boasts of having some grand scheme, it's almost always total bullshit and usually it's just him wanting to see what the Doctor is going to do in response to that bullshit. Or getting the Doctor to save him from his own bullshit.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Doctor flies around helping people, so it stands to reason that the Master just flies around causing trouble.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

...the Master's plan was to lead an army of Cybermen and take over the universe, and then when that went wrong his plan was to escape

The whole Zathras bit (which was, in fact, the majority of the first episode) was just to gently caress with Bill (or, rather, gently caress with the audience because Bill doesn't know who the Master is).

It's not about having some grand scheme or not (although that's, again, something relatively recent - the Third Doctor's run is largely built around stories where the Master has a clever scheme and the Doctor has to stop it, the whole "the Master turns up somewhere and just fucks around" only really started with The Mark of the Rani*).

*Which, like Timeflight, is complete poo poo

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 17, 2017

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh, one side point that's related to the "people hated it then too!":

I remember seeing a few people (not just here) saying about the finale "It's great that the Master doesn't really have a big plan other than just loving with the Doctor again!"

Well, that was only really a thing that happened in Timeflight and Timeflight is unbearably poo poo, partially because of the stupid bit with the Master.

So there.

I think this was mostly just me (at least in this thread), and I stand by it for Dark Water/Death in Heaven. My point is that it's always almost true of the Master (it's not just Time-Flight, plenty of the Pertwee era Master stories are convoluted, nonsense plans that are virtually guaranteed to be defeated by their own complication). Almost every time, he does the rube goldberg version of something that could have been simple, but the narrative supported it in the season 8 finale, because it leans more heavily into Missy/the Master being obsessed with the Doctor (which is part of why so many of the Pertwee stories work as well). The whole thing, to her, is just a giant fun house so she can yell "Surprise!" at the end.

Not that it's exactly a new trope for the villain to do the whole "Ah, but don't you see, we are more alike than you say, for I am but a dark mirror of you, and it will take very little for me to expose your hypocrisy!" bit, but it's well-timed and well-acted in this instance.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The whole Zathras bit (which was, in fact, the majority of the first episode) was just to gently caress with Bill (or, rather, gently caress with the audience because Bill doesn't know who the Master is).

It's not about having some grand scheme or not (although that's, again, something relatively recent - the Third Doctor's run is largely built around stories where the Master has a clever scheme and the Doctor has to stop it, the whole "the Master turns up somewhere and just fucks around" only really started with The Mark of the Rani*).

Is a grand scheme different from a big plan because i thought that was exactly what you were talking about

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh, wait, Jakiri is talking about the season 10 finale, not the season 8 one, nevermind.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Doctor flies around helping people, so it stands to reason that the Master just flies around causing trouble.

Makes sense. They are both misfits in Timelord society. Agents of change in contrast to Gallifrey's eternal stasis.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Master has succeeded in becoming the leader of a civilization several times, probably several more off screen. Winning is fun, but once you've won, then what? In a hundred years all his current playthings will be dead and he'll still be exactly the same. The Master just doesn't have it in him to pull a Rassilon and be president of a stable society for thousands of years.

Eventually she figures that out and just starts loving around, seeing how far she can take things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Master really is the dog chasing the car. He keeps catching the car and has no idea what to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cojawfee posted:

The Master really is the dog chasing the car. He keeps catching the car and has no idea what to do with it.

Master...cars?

• Locked thread