Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Porg and Mudhead in Jedi School Madness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gonz posted:

Merchandising! Merchandising!

Just as a general guideline, don't feed that thing after midnight.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Remember Ewoks? They're back! In Porg form!

e: punch up

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 16, 2017

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Remember Ewoks? They're back! In Porg form!

e: punch up

goddamnit, I was going to make that joke but with furbies

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

CelticPredator posted:

It's 30 bucks online. I just looked. That's the normal price for 3D combo flicks.

Where can I find it for $30 online? Everywhere I've seen has it for more.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Porgtatoes!

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/897929715675090944

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
This is the media blitz Luke wanted us to avoid.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

sassassin posted:

loving consumers. am I rite?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Rey and Kylo are all about their memorabilia but Luke doesn't want his old weapon back.

Find out why by collecting all 6 limited edition cups at McDonalds.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

sassassin posted:

New merchandising directive, all Luke Skywalker related action figures/playsets/etc. do not come with a lightsaber and the Luke toys are constructed so that it's physically impossible for him to hold a weapon.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

sassassin posted:

It's time for the star wars....to end

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Star Wars has been about selling toys since day ONE.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

porfiria posted:

Star Wars has been about selling toys since day ONE.

Yeah I don't think this post is honest. I don't even think there were toys until the year after Starp Wans was released.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Are Porgs slaves?

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

UmOk posted:

Yeah I don't think this post is honest. I don't even think there were toys until the year after Starp Wans was released.

They convinced kids to buy an empty box! It's always been about merchandising.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Pops Mgee posted:

What

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

The original action figures weren't going to be ready in time for Christmas. So they sold an empty box and kids would get the figures months later.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jewmanji posted:

Are Porgs slaves?

Well, if porgs can be potatoes, they must conduct electricity, or be used as power sources. So...maybe.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Spacebump posted:

The original action figures weren't going to be ready in time for Christmas. So they sold an empty box and kids would get the figures months later.

Ah. Guess that proves they were ready for merchandising at DAY ONE.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Pops Mgee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CmGs9ixpNU

Fun fact: Kenner, the toy company behind selling the empty box, originally had a mascot that was a small yellow bird. They had the Jim Henson company design a puppet for them, and when the Kenner company retired the mascot, the puppet became the Little Bird character on Sesame Street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po3yc7-MgXM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-tvNsDboP4

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The Obi-Wan stand-alone movie is moving forward. Stephen Daldry (The Hours, Billy Elliot) is in talks to direct. No word on McGregor returning though he's said he's open to it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...er_breakingnews

Just make it a Yojimbo remake and call it a day.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

If they don't get McGregor, why bother?

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

If they don't get McGregor, why bother?

I've watched Star Wars for 28 years and only recently started to come around on the prequels, but when I think of Obi Wan, Ewan McGregor is the actor that comes to mind. I really, really hope they can work something out.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Old-Bi Wan

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Young Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan-Half

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Obi-Tew

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Zoran posted:

Obi-Tew

The entire movie will simply be to satisfy that insane theory that he's really a clone named OB-1.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Having a Star Wars movie that finally takes place on fewer than 3 planets will be awesome.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The bully from Rushmore would've made a great young Ewan McGregor.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 17, 2017

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Paris Texas but with McGregor as Stanton

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm more interested in the fact they're considering a Yoda film

Here's hoping it takes place 600 years before the Prequels instead of him screwing around on a swamp ball for two hours

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Yoda is boring and dumb. They can add a bunch of new detail to him to give him an interesting narrative, but they could add that to any character, and do so with one that won't inevitably be derided for being a crap puppet and/or The Great Satan, CGI.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dunno how well it would translate into a full film, but the last episode of Clone Wars focused on Yoda and it was really cool. They could get really weird with a Yoda movie if they wanted to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dunno how well it would translate into a full film, but the last episode of Clone Wars focused on Yoda and it was really cool. They could get really weird with a Yoda movie if they wanted to.

Young, long haired, perpetually stoned out of his gourd yoda who barely takes his job seriously would rule.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Barudak posted:

Young, long haired, perpetually stoned out of his gourd yoda who barely takes his job seriously would rule.

The ultimate Star Wars audience subversion would be that young 200 year old Yoda was 7 foot tall.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

The ultimate Star Wars audience subversion would be that young 200 year old Yoda was 7 foot tall.

Played by Dwayne Johnson.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Jewmanji posted:

Having a Star Wars movie that finally takes place on fewer than 3 planets will be awesome.

This made me curious about how many/few actual planets we see characters visit in the movies, if even briefly. It's interesting to see the contrast and how there's a lot of not quite a regular planet locations where a lot of the action takes place. Like there's moons, asteroids, space stations, etc. aplenty but you can see how the pacing of the movies effects it too.

ANH - Tatooine, Yavin IV
ESB - Hoth, Dagobah
RotJ - Tatooine, Sanctuary Moon
TPM - Naboo, Tatooine, Coruscant
ATC - Coruscant, Tatooine, Kamino, Naboo, Geonosis
RTS - Utapau, Kashyyyk, Coruscant, Mustafar, Alderaan, that montage of a bunch of Jedi getting killed on different worlds
TFA - Jakku, Takodana, Ahch-To, Starkiller Base is still a "planet" despite some modifications
R1 - Lah-Mu, Wobani, Yavin IV, Jedha, Eadu, Mustafar, Scarif

Double checking this was sort of interesting too because of how I didn't realize that Jedha officially is a moon specifically and not a planet. Looking at this also, I never found any of the movies to feel jarringly planet-hopping or restrained, so it's not like they were got gratuitous about cramming in new locations for the hell of it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I just hope Obi-Wan's standlone movie will explain why he decided to keep his surname while Vader & Pals were hunting for a Jedi named Kenobi.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Jewmanji posted:

I'm so sick of imaginative space operas showing me a wide variety of visually and thematically disparate places, ugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

This made me curious about how many/few actual planets we see characters visit in the movies, if even briefly. It's interesting to see the contrast and how there's a lot of not quite a regular planet locations where a lot of the action takes place. Like there's moons, asteroids, space stations, etc. aplenty but you can see how the pacing of the movies effects it too.

ANH - Tatooine, Yavin IV
ESB - Hoth, Dagobah
RotJ - Tatooine, Sanctuary Moon
TPM - Naboo, Tatooine, Coruscant
ATC - Coruscant, Tatooine, Kamino, Naboo, Geonosis
RTS - Utapau, Kashyyyk, Coruscant, Mustafar, Alderaan, that montage of a bunch of Jedi getting killed on different worlds
TFA - Jakku, Takodana, Ahch-To, Starkiller Base is still a "planet" despite some modifications
R1 - Lah-Mu, Wobani, Yavin IV, Jedha, Eadu, Mustafar, Scarif

Double checking this was sort of interesting too because of how I didn't realize that Jedha officially is a moon specifically and not a planet. Looking at this also, I never found any of the movies to feel jarringly planet-hopping or restrained, so it's not like they were got gratuitous about cramming in new locations for the hell of it.

Do the Death Stars count?

• Locked thread