Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Was anyone lucky enough to get into the R. Talsorian Witcher RPG Playtest? Because if so, gently caress you, you lucky son of a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

First shot of my life and it was Fireball. Goons are the worst, WOO!

Edit: no seriously Fireball it's the worst

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

darkspider42 posted:

Is there a code to use to apply the discount?

No, it's just something that applied to my accounts.

Also, Uber from my hotel is $21 during surge, and $17 non-surge.

I'll likely just be parking at the lot for $20 or whatever it is per day.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Shot wedneaday is over and was highly successful! People didnt die this year so fantastic!

Hope everyone has a great con, hit me up for lunch haveli's

This post sponsored by http://deviantgoons.com/

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

That Old Tree posted:

Oh, were you at the Rathskeller? Are you on the GroupMe?

I barely drink and I had one, I generally only have liquor if it's really interesting and that was... interesting. Not as interesting as the horseradish liquor of a year or two past, mind.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Oh, were you at the Rathskeller? Are you on the GroupMe?

I barely drink and I had one, I generally only have liquor if it's really interesting and that was... interesting. Not as interesting as the horseradish liquor of a year or two past, mind.

Yeah, I was there and on GroupMe. I'm not too gregarious, though I did have some pleasant conversations. I was already fading after a long drive so I went back to the hotel a bit after the fireball. And then my friend showed up and I went right back out to the Ram for a bedtime burger.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I'm unable to go this year but haveli is still the best sit down food I have had at gencon, i'm a full blown vegetarian so i'm going to sound biased but holy hell it's great indian food and I eat a ton of indian food.
Go get that indian food its well priced and friggin good.

Im excited for the Codenames duel and their new Question game. Any good suggestions for new titles to keep an eye on there (got a friend roaming) thats great for 2-more players?

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Who is the goon running the exit wound cuthulu game on Thursday at 2?

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Anybody have food truck suggestions? I'm in line for 'Lost Island' but thats more a testament to its line rather than quality.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

If you like Indian then Haveli has no wait right now

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

8one6 posted:

If you like Indian then Haveli has no wait right now

Like the whole con that place was not a loud fartfest with no wait and great food that's close by. You will pass a steak and shake with a line outside and laugh at those poor fools.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

I have a friend that due to unforeseen circumstances won't be able to use his weekend badge fri-sun. Anyone interested in helping him recoup his cost?

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
If anyone demoed xwing at the big free for all table thanks and your welcome for teaching you!

If you didn't thanks and I never want to explain xwing to a single person again.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Is there a place to get Shadow of the Demon Lord at GenCon? I don't see a Schwalb booth and don't know where else to look.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I saw it in one of the big long rpg booths. I think in isle 2000 somewhere.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Haystack posted:

I saw it in one of the big long rpg booths. I think in isle 2000 somewhere.

I was actually interested in demoing it to so thank you

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Not knocking the other stuff, but once again the auction hall is my favorite part.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

That Old Tree posted:

Not knocking the other stuff, but once again the auction hall is my favorite part.

A well-oiled machine.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah no shame in that. I was so impressed with the Auction that after a few years I could no longer resist the urge to volunteer so I could spend even more time there.

Second-favorite Auction fun fact from this year: Gen-Con 2 was the site of the first Gen-Con Auction, because Tom Wham brought some games there he hoped he could get someone else to buy, and other people did too. So he gathered people together and auctioned them all off. Without keeping track of which game was whose. He said he is still not sure how they ended up dividing up the money at the end. Grand.

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Hey, I have a ton of Veil beer that I would be willing to trade for other good brews, especially good fresh hops. I'm staying at the Omni Severin, feel free to PM me if you want to trade.

E: Also, if anyone has a pair of googley eyes to spare, I would like them to decorate an eggplant.

EnjoiThePureTrip fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 18, 2017

Texibus
May 18, 2008

I Might Be Adam posted:

I have a friend that due to unforeseen circumstances won't be able to use his weekend badge fri-sun. Anyone interested in helping him recoup his cost?

I pmed you about this.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I've bought all the crap I had on my shopping list, but I still have a nagging feeling that I'm missing out on lots of cool poo poo. Is there anything really super extra great in the exhibit hall I should look at and/or buy? If it helps, I like rad-looking miniatures and board games that don't take too long to play (30-60 minutes is ideal).

danwon
Aug 19, 2015

I picked up Magic Maze, a real time coop game. Haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I'm looking forward to it and it certainly plays in less than an hour.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Why do Union Station and the JW Marriott have to be so goddamn far from everything?

While I'm asking why is the circle center greenhouse the coldest part of the convention?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

That Old Tree posted:

Fireball is terrible for most things, but it's good for shots. :colbert:

8one6 posted:

Why do Union Station and the JW Marriott have to be so goddamn far from everything?

The JW is very close to High Velocity, so clearly not everything.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

That Old Tree posted:

I'm probably going to spend a lot of Saturday there to see what stuff TOVA has.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm probably going to spend a lot of Saturday there to see what stuff TOVA has.

I heard they rearranged the schedule so it's done at 11am on Saturday?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

That Old Tree posted:

I heard they rearranged the schedule so it's done at 11am on Saturday?
I would post the schedule but it still starts at... well... it officially starts at 3 and goes until 7, but "Art and Books and Misc." is at 2, and how is that not T. O. V. A.?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ah I think my friend misread the times for sellers to drop off.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
This is a longshot, but if anyone has any Swedish snus I would love to buy a can off of someone. I can't find my second that u brought with me, I'm on my last one, and I have to run demos all day. I may end up murdering someone

Edit: nm I found a speedway a half mile away murder frenzy cancelled

siggy2021 fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 19, 2017

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Snuck away from my booth for a minute to take a look at the Golem Edition of Century, and promptly failed the $70 will save. Wasn't all starry-eyed over the original game, but gently caress me if the Golem Edition isn't gorgeous. No idea if I talked to Bottom Liner at their booth running a demo table or if he sold me the game, or neither. But both were nice dudes.

Enjoying some Haveli for lunch before going back to the wolves.

Hope everyone's week has been rad. Wish I had time for some goon hangs.

Merauder fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 19, 2017

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Was anyone lucky enough to get into the R. Talsorian Witcher RPG Playtest? Because if so, gently caress you, you lucky son of a bitch.

Anyone who saw the Witcher please tell me if it's going to be poo poo or not

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Merauder posted:

Snuck away from my booth for a minute to take a look at the Golem Edition of Century, and promptly failed the $70 will save. Wasn't all starry-eyed over the original game, but gently caress me if the Golem Edition isn't gorgeous. No idea if I talked to Bottom Liner at their booth running a demo table or if he sold me the game, or neither. But both were nice dudes.

Nope not at the booth at all, just took a few photos for them.

We're running Arkham card game's new scenarios this afternoon, room for one still. Post in group me and @me if you wanna join.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Merauder posted:

Was there some special edition that I missed? Or did you buy the playmat too? I played a demo yesterday and it was great, went back and bought it today.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Was there some special edition that I missed? Or did you buy the playmat too? I played a demo yesterday and it was great, went back and bought it today.

Yeah, just the game and playmat both. Figure as long as I'm making spontaneous unnecessary purchases I may as well go big or go home. :homebrew:

Going to try to actually play a game or two tonight. So far I've played one game of Ex Libris, and one of an unreleased card game. Since Monday night. God, so busy.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

First time ever, and I felt pretty overwhelmed the first two days.

Next year I'll have a much better idea what to do.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
Did you guys know there is a A Song of Ice and Fire RPG? I didn't, but the books were all half off. I now own all the books.

I know nothing about it but it looks kick rear end.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

siggy2021 posted:

Did you guys know there is a A Song of Ice and Fire RPG? I didn't, but the books were all half off. I now own all the books.

The House mechanics are amazing (especially with the pdf supplements), combat needs houserules

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Admiral Joeslop posted:

First time ever, and I felt pretty overwhelmed the first two days.

Next year I'll have a much better idea what to do.

This is my fourth year, but I totally agree. My first year was pretty stressful and confusing because I had no idea what to expect. Nowadays, I feel like I have a decent system down for managing the complexity. The only real problem I had is that I only had time to get my costume ready OR my minis, and I chose the costume (I was a Monarch henchman for part of Saturday). Next year, I'm going to try to procrastinate less and get my minis done, or at least done enough for transport.

One thing I find really helpful is putting all my events into my Google calendar so I can see at a glance what's coming up. It's also a good visual aid to help you figure out if you overcommitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

siggy2021 posted:

Yeah, it's been a thing for a while. Before the show, even, though they did a new version when the show came out. As said, the House system is neat. The fact they have special jousting rules is a good indicator they're shooting for the right targets, even though the rules can be a little janky.

There was a short-lived d20 version a decade ago by Guardians of Order. It was pretty meh. I picked it up at its debut at my first or second GenCon. I think it was my first.

• Locked thread