Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Chinese Android is not spyware, Chinese Android is strong. Meizu and Oppo forever.

I miss HTC.

Huawei is the greatest company on earth. :china:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Patrocclesiastes posted:

I cant tell if youre serious, if you want to hear more about the chinese and container shipping, sure I can write something

I am serious, I don't know anything about China container shipping.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It won't fit in one.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I am serious, I don't know anything about China container shipping.

well, when two ocean liners love each other very much...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Maersk x K-Line OTP

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
COSCO got jealous

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Seriously though Shenzhen customs is one of the most corrupt port authorities in the world.

Why are most port authorities so shady?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Collateral Damage posted:

Maersk x K-Line OTP

nah no one wants to ship with maersk after that virus thing

i guess unless you want to pos your ship hole

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

caberham posted:

COSCO got jealous

Cosco is very chinese, always stand at the side and watch big boys innovate and better stuff. Then just copy what they do, no why or how,just do it. rear end first up the tree.

Evergreen is still the Best.

K-line, nyk and mol will sadly become one. Oocl was bought by cosco and Yang ming most likely will be bought as well.

Also shadiness of port authorities really depends on the country i think. China, im not surprised, when our own offices in China try to rip off our customers customers in China, and then when the customers here complain to us and we want antaa explanation from China office, its just deafening silence

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

caberham posted:

COSCO got jealous

COSCuck

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Why don't you guys ship to Hong Kong, we're not corrupt (give us another ten years to work on it though)?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
drat

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Weird; they used to run ads for diet pills in 90s women's magazines with this exact same layout. They always started with a weird story about a sad fat lady (I have never forgottwn the one that said "I sweated when I ate." Is that really a thing? Being so fat that eating makes you sweat?) My ballet school had piles of old Redbook and Good Housekeeping issues and we used to do dramatic reenactments of the weight loss ads between classes.

I am sure the pills were just tapeworm eggs or some ineffective herbal poo poo, so pretty much TCM, actually.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

A remarkable panoply of poo poo.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
4,000 years of brain cleansing. sounds about right.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

This one's from 1985, lmao

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

I don't know how I can tell but this doesn't look like China at all

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Half my co-workers are Chinese and they are all incredibly smart and competent. Are the ones stuck in China the bad ones?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The batting average for mainlanders who manage to escape is higher, yes. Especially the ones who take to living abroad and stay for extended periods. They tended to be better to begin with and the experience of living somewhere that isn't terrible helps sand off the worst edges.

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

bamhand posted:

Half my co-workers are Chinese and they are all incredibly smart and competent. Are the ones stuck in China the bad ones?

I dont really expect anything from my chinese colleagues in hamburg

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

bamhand posted:

Yes. One hundred times, yes.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I guess we only sponsor for candidates with PhD's so the ones that make it through the interview process are pretty exceptional. And also Americans hate getting PhD's in anything to do with numbers.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

bamhand posted:

I guess we only sponsor for candidates with PhD's so the ones that make it through the interview process are pretty exceptional. And also Americans hate getting PhD's in anything to do with numbers.

I imagine they don't like going into debt. By far the most if not all Chinese phds are sponsored by the Chinese state.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend worked for a vancouver bio-tech company that was 90% mainland chinese staffed. It was a nightmare of face, nepotism, and so so much sexism. She was absolutely shocked at how incompetent everyone was too, people who should be fellow doctorates not knowing how to properly doing 101 level tests and constantly contaminating everything making days of work useless but carrying on with the work because to point out that they hosed up and the results will be useless would cause a meltdown and being brought in by the owner to explain that she hurt the feelings of her male co-worker who just happens to be the cousin of of the owner.

That combined with endless complaints that Canadians are all have poor work ethic and look for any excuse to not work and don't show any respect for their superiors (they couldn't keep any canadian staff for more than a few months). Instead of pointing out early on that the test was prepped wrong and telling the person who set it up to start over you should follow through, then work unpaid overtime through the night to re-do the test yourself. This shows good respect and good work ethic. Also you are a woman, how can you know? Canadian university is very easy, so easy to get this "doctorate", Chinese study much harder, Chinese scientist obviously knows better. Properly cleaning sample containers? Sounds like women's work. Maybe if you're so fussy about things being clean you can be our cleaning lady hahaha

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 16, 2017

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

I imagine they don't like going into debt. By far the most if not all Chinese phds are sponsored by the Chinese state.

Huh interesting, I was under the impression that most PhD's here didn't pay tuition and were in fact paid (thought not well) in exchange for TAing and stuff. Maybe it depends on degree?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Baronjutter posted:

My friend worked for a vancouver bio-tech company that was 90% mainland chinese staffed. It was a nightmare of face, nepotism, and so so much sexism. She was absolutely shocked at how incompetent everyone was too, people who should be fellow doctorates not knowing how to properly doing 101 level tests and constantly contaminating everything making days of work useless but carrying on with the work because to point out that they hosed up and the results will be useless would cause a meltdown and being brought in by the owner to explain that she hurt the feelings of her male co-worker who just happens to be the cousin of of the owner.

That combined with endless complaints that Canadians are all have poor work ethic and look for any excuse to not work and don't show any respect for their superiors (they couldn't keep any canadian staff for more than a few months). Instead of pointing out early on that the test was prepped wrong and telling the person who set it up to start over you should follow through, then work unpaid overtime through the night to re-do the test yourself. This shows good respect and good work ethic. Also you are a woman, how can you know? Canadian university is very easy, so easy to get this "doctorate", Chinese study much harder, Chinese scientist obviously knows better. Properly cleaning sample containers? Sounds like women's work. Maybe if you're so fussy about things being clean you can be our cleaning lady hahaha

This guy sounds like the new HK contact I work with.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

bamhand posted:

Huh interesting, I was under the impression that most PhD's here didn't pay tuition and were in fact paid (thought not well) in exchange for TAing and stuff. Maybe it depends on degree?

Yeah that's usually the case.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Wait, is "Americans don't like getting STEM degrees" a thing? STEM is all I hear about.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

bamhand posted:

Huh interesting, I was under the impression that most PhD's here didn't pay tuition and were in fact paid (thought not well) in exchange for TAing and stuff.

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah that's usually the case.

I paid tuition when I did my phd outside the US.

I don't have a stem degree because I despise/can't do basic math.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Hey the merger of this thread with an India thread is in the works

https://twitter.com/XHNews/status/897817640353144833

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
This thread loving sucks without Haier. Thanks dipshit mod.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Pirate Radar posted:

Wait, is "Americans don't like getting STEM degrees" a thing? STEM is all I hear about.

what do you mean by degrees

because liberal arts undergraduate degrees are still pretty popular, law schools still stamp out more lawyers per year than the entire law profession can tolerate...but in general, if you go for an 'actual' graduate degree, it's some kind of STEM profession or STEM derivative.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Haier is just having a rest.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
An 8 part podcast on shipping: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/fusion-media-group-2/containers

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
https://twitter.com/jow_yuzo/status/897948351227846656

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

bamhand posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
now lets talk about being aware of your surroundings for a little

https://my.mixtape.moe/uavbnt.mp4

• Locked thread