Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Not authorized to view

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

eNeMeE posted:

Not authorized to view

Reload it. There's a stupid twitter bug where it thinks you've got a cookie set for a different language than you're requesting or some dumb poo poo. Same bug causes the "took too long to load" error.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

nm posted:

The thing about federal trials is that when you gamble and lose, you get hosed.

What did he do differently from the other guys? They were all videotaped doing the same things. The only thing that separates him from the others is a drunken admission of culpability.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Tafferling posted:

What did he do differently from the other guys? They were all videotaped doing the same things. The only thing that separates him from the others is a drunken admission of culpability.

He didn't have a sovcit jurist in his corner like the others.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Facebook Aunt posted:

"was one described by a former federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agent as "the Picasso of machine guns,'' wrote Lynn Shepard, Emry's defense lawyer, in his sentencing memo."

He puts the nose on sideways? I'm not sure that was a compliment, Lynn.

how do you aim a machine gun that wont obey the laws of perspective? :thunk:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

how do you aim a machine gun that wont obey the laws of perspective? :thunk:

It's relatively easy, you just have to check for barrel abstractions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TotalLossBrain posted:

Jesus Christ.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

TotalLossBrain posted:

:discourse:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TotalLossBrain posted:

:perfect:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

TotalLossBrain posted:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

TotalLossBrain posted:

:golfclap:

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Facebook Aunt posted:

"was one described by a former federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agent as "the Picasso of machine guns,'' wrote Lynn Shepard, Emry's defense lawyer, in his sentencing memo."

He puts the nose on sideways? I'm not sure that was a compliment, Lynn.

ryanbundy.jpg

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LongDarkNight posted:

ryanbundy.jpg

:iceburn:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

TotalLossBrain posted:

a swing and a . . .
:vince:
wait no somehow you hit it with that, i wont pretend i know how

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

LongDarkNight posted:

ryanbundy.jpg

holy poo poo

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

LongDarkNight posted:

ryanbundy.jpg

:drat:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Did the Framers intend for there to be the same Federal check-and-balance dynamics at 100 senators 435 representatives as there were at 26 senators 65 representatives ?

Would the federal government be less massive if there were fewer Congresspeople?

euthy
Sep 26, 2007

May you and your family live without suffering, but for the rest... Thanks for not breeding VHEMT
Grimey Drawer

eNeMeE posted:

Not authorized to view

special sound of piss

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Man Musk posted:

Did the Framers intend for there to be the same Federal check-and-balance dynamics at 100 senators 435 representatives as there were at 26 senators 65 representatives ?

Would the federal government be less massive if there were fewer Congresspeople?

the bureaucracy is mostly the demesne of the executive :cmon:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...tand/558082001/

quote:

A Las Vegas courtroom erupted in drama Thursday when a federal judge ordered a defendant in the Bundy Ranch standoff trial to get off the stand, struck his testimony, dismissed jurors and abruptly left the bench.

Jurors looked stunned as Eric Parker returned to the defense table with his head hung and then buried his face in his hands, according to lawyers in the case.

"He put his head down on the counsel table and appeared to be crying," defense lawyer Shawn Perez said. "My observation of the jury was they were looking at everybody in the courtroom and going, 'What just happened?' "

Note that as has often been a problem, the outlet is reporting solely from the defense, who are feeding them a narrative.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news...tand/558082001/

Note that as has often been a problem, the outlet is reporting solely from the defense, who are feeding them a narrative.

you can eventually figure out what happened there - they were going off on irrelevant stuff that the judge prohibited

however odds that this also ends in a deadlock or not guilty verdict probably just went up dramatically because their only defense is "the government is mean"

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
To clarify, the person on the stand was this guy

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/896091171700613120

edit: lol

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/896127036711813120

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 22:56 on Aug 11, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
^^^
holy poo poo, that whole twitter thread

hobbesmaster posted:

you can eventually figure out what happened there - they were going off on irrelevant stuff that the judge prohibited

however odds that this also ends in a deadlock or not guilty verdict probably just went up dramatically because their only defense is "the government is mean"

yeah, the full article goes into more detail - the judge banned them from discussing a bunch of topics that don't have any legal relevance to the case but could potentially drive a jury nullification attempt

the guy went off and discussed those things anyway, the judge stopped the testimony and told defense lawyers to cut it out, then they continued and he kept doing it

Main Paineframe has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Aug 12, 2017

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
jesus christ that jury pool

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Defense waives closing arguments; jurors begin deliberations in Bundy Ranch standoff trial

Defendants waived closing arguments Tuesday in the Bundy Ranch standoff trial in Las Vegas, ending a monthlong legal battle with a clear protest about court proceedings.

Lawyers for the four men charged in the 2014 clash among federal agents, militia members and cattle ranchers took the unusual step of resting their cases without a final address to the jury.

"The message is simple," Las Vegas lawyer Shawn Perez said Tuesday afternoon. "You silenced us the entire trial ... there's nothing more to say."

The move was part of a strategy to deprive federal prosecutors of an opportunity to make rebuttal arguments and to end the case while it was in the hands of the defense, said Perez, who represents defendant Richard Lovelien of Oklahoma.

Jurors began deliberations Tuesday afternoon.

Just after 3 p.m. Tuesday, defendants were called to make closing arguments, when lawyers typically seek to drive home critical points in the case in a last effort to sway jurors. One after the other, defense lawyers stood and recited the same words: "We have no closing at this time."

"I think it was effective," Perez said. "We all decided last night we were going to waive arguments. Otherwise the government was going to come back on rebuttal and embellish stuff and our hands would be tied."

The defense move followed hours of arguments by federal prosecutors, who systematically laid out their case against defendants for their parts in a conspiracy to help Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy prevent federal agents from rounding up his cattle.

Prosecutors singled out defendants in an attempt to show how each was involved in a coordinated, armed effort, each with an individual role to force federal agents to back down.

Prosecutors said some defendants acted as spotters while another served as the equivalent of a getaway driver in a bank robbery.

Defense lawyers offered no explanation in court for their decision to waive closing arguments. But after court ended Tuesday, Perez said the judge made it virtually impossible for defendants to offer any substantive arguments: They were prohibited by rulings from telling jurors why defendants joined the protest at the Bundy Ranch; they couldn't argue about the legality of carrying weapons or mentioning Nevada's open-carry firearms laws; they couldn't say joining a militia was legal.

Defense lawyers have complained throughout the trial that rulings by U.S. District Court Judge Gloria Navarro have prevented them from mounting a legitimate defense and that defendants have been improperly denied a fair trial.

Events came to a head Thursday when Navarro abruptly ended court by ordering defendant Eric Parker off the stand and striking his testimony from the record as jurors watched.

Even after the case went to the jury Tuesday, controversy continued to erupt. Perez said shortly after being dismissed, lawyers were called back into court, where Navarro raised concerns about potential misconduct by a juror.

The judge told lawyers the juror might have made a gesture of support to one of the defendants. Perez said the juror explained under questioning she was saying goodbye to an alternate juror since they likely would not see one another again.

Navarro did not dismiss the juror.

RELATED: Phoenix man gets 68 years in Bundy Ranch standoff

Lovelien, Parker, Steven Stewart and O. Scott Drexler are accused of conspiracy, extortion, assault and obstruction for helping Bundy fend off a government roundup of his cattle in what became known as the Battle of Bunkerville.

A jury in April deadlocked on charges against the four men. It convicted two other defendants on multiple counts. But the jury could not agree on conspiracy charges a key component of the government's case against any of the six.

Perez said Tuesday that he had prepared a closing on behalf of Lovelien. But he said if he had made arguments, it would have opened the door to a rebuttal by prosecutors that would have focused solely on his client.

"As far as I am concerned, they (prosecutors) didn't put up enough evidence against Lovelien," he said.

The Bundy Ranch standoff is one of the most high-profile land-use cases in modern Western history, pitting cattle ranchers, anti-government protesters and militia members against the Bureau of Land Management.

For decades, the BLM repeatedly ordered Bundy to remove his cattle from federal lands and in 2014 obtained a court order to seize his cattle as payment for more than $1 million in unpaid grazing fees.

Hundreds of supporters from every state in the union, including members of several militia groups, converged on his ranch about 70 miles north of Las Vegas.

Navarro's rulings, aimed at trying to avoid jury nullification, have severely limited defense arguments. Jury nullification occurs when a jury returns a verdict based on its shared belief rather than on the evidence in a case.

Navarro has barred defendants from discussing why they traveled thousands of miles to join protesters at the Bundy Ranch. She will not allow them to testify about perceived abuses by federal authorities during the cattle roundup that might have motivated them to participate.

Navarro also has restricted defendants from raising constitutional arguments, or mounting any defense based on their First Amendment rights to free speech and their Second Amendment rights to bear arms. In her rulings, Navarro has said those are not applicable arguments in the case.

Federal officials, however, do not face the same restrictions. To show defendants were part of a conspiracy, they have referenced events that happened months, or years, after the standoff.

Defense lawyers called for a mistrial Monday after Parker was removed from the stand. Parker's lawyer accused prosecutors in a motion of wrongly depriving Parker of his right to testify in a way that irreparably damaged the case.

Parker was attempting to tell jurors what he saw during the standoff over a barrage of objections from prosecutors when Navarro put an end to his testimony. Parker returned to the defense table and started crying while Navarro dismissed the jurors.

Prosecutors shot back with a request for sanctions against three of the defendants and their lawyers, accusing them of repeatedly violating court orders by introducing prohibited information and attempting to derail the trial through jury nullification.

Acting Nevada U.S. Attorney Steven Myhre, who is leading the prosecution, wrote that Parkers forced removal from the stand was possibly intentional, "a specifically considered, orchestrated, and accepted strategy perhaps even a preferred one."

Navarro rejected the mistrial and refused to impose sanctions. She did, however, agree to instruct jurors to treat Parker's testimony as if it never happened.

That meant jurors only heard from a single defendant and no defense witnesses.

Four defense witnesses were permitted to testify via Skype last week, but the jury was not allowed to hear what they said. Navarro ruled that the witnesses, who were at the standoff, failed to establish grounds for self-defense claims sought by defendants.

On Monday, Drexler took the stand and delivered the only defense testimony that jurors were allowed to consider.

Drexler testified even though he brought weapons to the standoff, he had no intention of threatening or assaulting law-enforcement officers.

"My intent was to disappear and not be a threat to any person in the wash," he said.

Drexler admitted bringing an AR-15, a .45 handgun and 250 rounds of ammunition to Bunkerville. On cross-examination, prosecutors sought to show he intended to intimidate authorities and force them to "act more civil."

Three trials are scheduled for 17 defendants who are being prosecuted based on their alleged levels of culpability in the standoff.

Although defendants in the first trial and the retrial are considered the least culpable, all face the same charges and could spend the rest of their lives in prison.

The second trial will include Cliven Bundy and his sons, Ammon and Ryan Bundy, who are considered ringleaders.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-investigations/2017/08/15/jurors-bundy-ranch-standoff-trial-begin-deliberations/570943001/

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I don't blame the judge for going this far given how awful the jury pool was, but they're totally gonna get off anyway

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The defense is still unambiguously going for nullification. Infuriating.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

so its not even the bundys yet? :( it sucks that all these shitfucks are probaly gonna get off because of bullshit.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Discendo Vox posted:

The defense is still unambiguously going for nullification. Infuriating.

Why wouldn't they when it's already been successful in a prior case?

Fiend
Dec 2, 2001

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so its not even the bundys yet? :( it sucks that all these shitfucks are probaly gonna get off because of bullshit.

I'm hoping that Cliven Bundy testifies against his crew in exchange for immunity.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Haha the next batch is going to get off, too.

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/899853066836467712
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/899853886705487872
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/899854427946795010
https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/899854650186145792

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
sounds like a hung jury to me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Remind me never to move out west. They can't find 12 people out there who aren't loving braindead.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
surely thats reason to move out west. commit crimes against the government and never fear punishment

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
LOL

https://twitter.com/hecktow/status/900113886744952833

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
LOL

https://twitter.com/Vanessa_Murphy/status/900124969631334401

https://twitter.com/Vanessa_Murphy/status/900125799004516352

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
jesus christ

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
inshallah

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
lmao. America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

ahahahahaha