Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I think my favourite moment with Haytham was him finding out exactly why Connor was so staunchly against the templars, that Charles Lee killed his entire village in cold blood, including his mpther/Haytham's lover. I think that was the point where Haytham finally understood why he was never going to talk Connor round to his side. Also just loved his line, just a shocked and annoyed "I did not order that... :("

It was one of the few actually good points in that steaming turd of a game. And yeah, I was slamming the hidden blade button in so many of the cutscenes because COME THE gently caress ON JUST KILL THE PEOPLE!

I still think that they could have salvaged the godawful wreck of a story if they'd have had a little guts and made Connor side with the Loyalists but that woulda been too much for yanks, alas.

OR just have it in South America, which has cool, ancient architecture, cool landscapes, Cathedrals and is not a hugely overplayed and dull setting. The closest we got to that was Assassins Creed: Liberation, which is only slightly less poo poo than AC3 because of an actually cool protag and its hilarious glitches, combined with its short gameplay that doesn't wear out its welcome like 3 did

like, holy poo poo was 3 long and full of nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Not murdering the pope was so loving stupid, Ezio.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Caphi posted:

Wantedness dragged Saints Row 3 down for me because I couldn't do anything fun without ending up dodging an army of helicopters and being chased back to a store.

That's what ruined Prototype for me. Yeah I could drop kick helicopters, but more would always spawn, and I can't get into a nice brawl with anything else because the helicopters would kill me. I was so happy when I did the mission to disable helicopters, and so disappointed when they came back.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

An annoying thing about Prototype was that you would get all these fighting combos but they were useless against big enemies and the human ones died pretty much instantly from any hit. So it wasn't necessary to do a combo on them.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Then again, why would a native-american be that invested in a fight between white people about who's gonna rule the country they just stole.

It's in history that to defeat their rivals, various native tribes allied themselves militarily with various European powers.

Why Connor does anything, though, is forgettable.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
There's some kind of unwritten rule that whenever a game lets you play as a super-powered badass they will inevitably find a way to make all your powers useless right when they're starting to get fun. Until Prototype my go-to was always how Psi-Ops started adding supersoldiers and invisible monsters that were invulnerable to all your powers so you had to use boring old guns on them, but Prototype outdid it with all the contagion sensors that made it impossible to sneak around and missile launcher soldiers that could stunlock you to death and the giant super monsters you had to chip away at and the entire storyline where you're depowered by a parasite.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

EmmyOk posted:

Not murdering the pope was so loving stupid, Ezio.

I do like how, at the beginning of Brotherhood, almost everyone calls him on that.

On the same thread of Brotherhood, some of those full synch objectives can suck a dick. I'm looking at you tank mission.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Guy Mann posted:

There's some kind of unwritten rule that whenever a game lets you play as a super-powered badass they will inevitably find a way to make all your powers useless right when they're starting to get fun. Until Prototype my go-to was always how Psi-Ops started adding supersoldiers and invisible monsters that were invulnerable to all your powers so you had to use boring old guns on them, but Prototype outdid it with all the contagion sensors that made it impossible to sneak around and missile launcher soldiers that could stunlock you to death and the giant super monsters you had to chip away at and the entire storyline where you're depowered by a parasite.

I don't like Saints' Row IV's endgame. The gun connected to your super suit is also tied to your health so you end up spending most of the time hiding under the platforms and avoiding Zinyak's fire while your health recharges. I never see the Saints bust in to the rescue because I'm always waiting for my health to recharge.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've played the mobile game Quirius on and off for a while. There's reasons why the "off" is more common than the "on", which annoys me because it's a rather interesting village building game. Your main currency is based on your local weather (if you have a Snow Flower around, for example, it'll develop and give you Snow Points if it's snowing around you. Same with sun, clouds, winds, rain, and a few other things).

First off, the performance can be randomly lovely. It's a fully 3D world, and I'm not sure if my ten-inch Galaxy Tab A just can't handle it well. Everything else on my tablet is smooth as silk, so I'm inclined to blame the game.

The second point is the most annoying thing, though: like most mobile games, there's three key motions you need to do: tapping, dragging, and holding-dragging. None of these work as cleanly in Quirius as they should. Want to move something? Well, better hope the game doesn't decide 90% into the I'm-Picking-This-Item-Up animation that you really just wanted to move the camera. Want to tap on some briefly-exant little glowing bits during a key game mechanic? It's a 50% chance that the tap that covers the shining bit won't register.

It's incredibly frustrating because there's a unique, fun gimmicky game here, buried underneath a "UGH JUST LET ME PICK UP THIS drat THING" pile.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Caphi posted:

Wantedness dragged Saints Row 3 down for me because I couldn't do anything fun without ending up dodging an army of helicopters and being chased back to a store.

Shooting down helicopters in 3 was super easy though, especially once you upgraded your guns a bit. Even the handgun with explosive rounds could take one down in a few shots.

That is an annoying thing though; frequent air based enemies in a game that isn't really built for them. It's really weird to have a game centered around one style of play just suddenly drop in a completely different thing and force you to shift gears to deal with it. It's also why the boss dudes that appeared when you got a high wanted level in 4 sucked so bad. See also; trying to fight Pharah in Overwatch because she's literally the only character in that drat game who can fly at will so like, half the cast can't even hit her.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

moosecow333 posted:

I do like how, at the beginning of Brotherhood, almost everyone calls him on that.

Which is pretty ironic given the Pope is the guy yelling "no what the gently caress don't pick another fight with Ezio you goddamn clowns he tore my army apart". :v:

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Nuebot posted:

See also; trying to fight Pharah in Overwatch because she's literally the only character in that drat game who can fly at will so like, half the cast can't even hit her.

Pharah is the reason I don't play overwatch anymore, the fact that all the characters that i enjoy playing can't fight her and the fact that I don't have fine enough motor control to play the characters that do made me quit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nuebot posted:

Shooting down helicopters in 3 was super easy though, especially once you upgraded your guns a bit. Even the handgun with explosive rounds could take one down in a few shots.
That's pretty much saying "even the best gun in the game can do it".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tardcore posted:

Pharah is the reason I don't play overwatch anymore, the fact that all the characters that i enjoy playing can't fight her and the fact that I don't have fine enough motor control to play the characters that do made me quit.

I've gotten pretty good at sniping her with mei icicles. But it's still super lame when there's almost always a phrah+mercy combo in basically every game mode these days, even mayhem and it sucks when your team just decides to try to ignore the pharah rather than kill her because then it becomes a shitshow of everyone just getting tossed around and constant ults from the sky. You can't really ignore any other character in the game the same way because they're always in your face and field of vision at some point.

Tiggum posted:

That's pretty much saying "even the best gun in the game can do it".

:colbert: I stand by what I said.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Helicopters are the worst part of any game with a wanted system. They're so much harder to shake since the ignore terrain and there's rarely map design that lets you vanish from them for long without having the car-based guys find you. At least watch dogs 2 has a magic hacker spell that sends them away.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Action Tortoise posted:

I don't like Saints' Row IV's endgame. The gun connected to your super suit is also tied to your health so you end up spending most of the time hiding under the platforms and avoiding Zinyak's fire while your health recharges. I never see the Saints bust in to the rescue because I'm always waiting for my health to recharge.

I quit playing SRIV when i got to that last area. It just wasn't fun.

Until then, I'd been climbing towers, flying around, dubstepping everywhere, throwing cars, etc.

Then that area was just poo poo and bad and hard so I stopped playing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I had to restart the unskippable 10-minute prologue of LISA because I accidentally pushed the default option for hard-mode, where every time you talk to a save-crow it explodes after use. Even the guy dressed as a crow will explode if you talk to him.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Action Tortoise posted:

SRIV would have greatly benefited from either leaning all the way into being an Open World Crime Game, or a Supervillain Simulator. Both sides suffer from trying to do both, since they have so little interaction; like it was stitched together from a bunch of deleted scenes rather than a single design idea.

Getting the gang back together for one last big dumb space adventure was probably still the best way to send off the series, though.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Was really disappointed that Curie gets a synth body in Fallout 4. I really wanted to romance her as a Miss Nanny robot, then live in a settlement with Codsworth as our new son.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only caveat to synth-loving is that the base DNA used in all the synths is from your son.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The only caveat to synth-loving is that the base DNA used in all the synths is from your son.

I'll be guided by the wisdom of Arnold J. Rimmer on this one: 'It seemed entirely possible for me to create a fully grown female clone, using my own DNA as a template. This of course created the most enormous moral dilemma. Technically, she would be my sister, and therefore unable to take me as her lover. After much soul searching, I reluctantly decided, "What the hell", I just wouldn't tell her.'

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

LISA: There's a part early on where you meet a gang of orphans who are playing with matches. One of them get's burned and you're told to throw a bucket of water at them. Unfortunately you throw a bucket of gasoline at them by mistake. By the time you fetch the intended bucket of water the orphans have been burnt to ashes. I know this a goofy game hiding a depressing one, but it's a step far to have the main-character accidentally burn a gang of children to death as part of a gag.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

LISA: There's a part early on where you meet a gang of orphans who are playing with matches. One of them get's burned and you're told to throw a bucket of water at them. Unfortunately you throw a bucket of gasoline at them by mistake. By the time you fetch the intended bucket of water the orphans have been burnt to ashes. I know this a goofy game hiding a depressing one, but it's a step far to have the main-character accidentally burn a gang of children to death as part of a gag.

Honestly, if you think that's a step too far or too dark, I would stop playing LISA right now. It's a great game but it doesn't pull any punches in terms of darkness, both in terms of humour or drama.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, LISA is fantastic but if you're going to be perturbed by that you should stop.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

But also that gag sets up for an even better gag later :v:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Helicopters are the worst part of any game with a wanted system. They're so much harder to shake since the ignore terrain and there's rarely map design that lets you vanish from them for long without having the car-based guys find you. At least watch dogs 2 has a magic hacker spell that sends them away.
GTA5's are the loving worst. There's hardly any place to hide from them if you're not in the city. They'll instantly respawn one if you shoot it down (Not hard, shoot the rotor on the tail). Getting spotted by one will instantly spawn cops in the location that will bee-line towards you.
Actually GTA5 cops are the loving worst in general. Aim-bot pistol snipers with psychic powers so they constantly home in on you. They're dull as poo poo once you learn the best way to lose them is either just die, hide in the subway tunnels if in the city, or jam a car into a corner with a roof above you so the chopper can't see you and take cover behind the car.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Croccers posted:

GTA5's are the loving worst. There's hardly any place to hide from them if you're not in the city. They'll instantly respawn one if you shoot it down (Not hard, shoot the rotor on the tail). Getting spotted by one will instantly spawn cops in the location that will bee-line towards you.
Actually GTA5 cops are the loving worst in general. Aim-bot pistol snipers with psychic powers so they constantly home in on you. They're dull as poo poo once you learn the best way to lose them is either just die, hide in the subway tunnels if in the city, or jam a car into a corner with a roof above you so the chopper can't see you and take cover behind the car.

I like when the cops show up in GTAOnline because it's just as garbage. In literally the middle of nowhere, some poo poo desert and run over the wrong cactus? Oh man, here's the cops. Driving down an empty highway? Don't blink, roadblock's there now. The cops are so lovely at being cops in Online that their main purpose is to just smash into each other and cause a massive pileup so you're trapped while they just stand there shooting at you.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

hey this isnt the PYF little things in games thread

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

That's one of the best gags in a game full of great gags. It's also good at establishing the universe the game sets in because its right outside of one of the first big save points so you might be tempted to reload and try again to see if you can save them only to find out that no, this is a world where terrible things happen and you just have to soldier on.

I do think that the implementation of the difficulty level in LISA is pretty poor in that it's a game that's already hard and punishing and making every save point single-use just pushes that difficulty into tedium and makes you spend a lot more time retreading ground for no reason. Especially when so much of the game is already more or less entirely up to the RNG with whether or not you lose party members or suffer other major effects at rest points or lose at russian roulette.

Also LISA: The Joyful did a lot to bungle the first game's amazing story, from retroactively making Brad an even shittier monster of a person to over-explaining the setting to completely discarding the Joy mechanic from the base game to the point where Dingaling had to patch in notes to the player telling them explicitly to use Joy because there was no storyline or gameplay reason not to this time. The gameplay also suffered a lot too because so much of it was based on having a big party to use and Joyful just has you playing as Buddy by her lonesome as she fights through a boring tourney ladder of bad guys.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Croccers posted:

I was going to say it's actually really easy to evade the helicopters in GTA 5 by doing the things you actually mentioned and it's difficult for me to understand if you're saying they are the worst because they're so easy to evade or what...

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

im pooping! posted:

I was going to say it's actually really easy to evade the helicopters in GTA 5 by doing the things you actually mentioned and it's difficult for me to understand if you're saying they are the worst because they're so easy to evade or what...
Gaming the game the same two ways is boring that's why. Hide in tunnel/under-roof-behind-car.
There's no point into shooting the helicopter out of the sky, it's going to spawn another one right away. No point in trying to outrun/out manoeuvre it because it's going to spawn a new one in front of you too. If the game had them on a spawn-timer most of this wouldn't be a problem.

Even Red Faction Guerrila's No-Fun-Allowed Police was better, you had more interesting toys to shoot them with at least.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The map in DQ8 is gigantic, but there isn't nearly enough stuff in it to justify the size. You can either travel straight from point A to point B, and ignore something like 80% of the geography. Or you can try to poke around in the hope that out of the 18 cliff faces, valleys and cul-de-sacs along the way, maybe one or two will have a treasure chest.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Sunswipe posted:

Was really disappointed that Curie gets a synth body in Fallout 4. I really wanted to romance her as a Miss Nanny robot, then live in a settlement with Codsworth as our new son.

That wouldn't be too weird in the setting. You can get the school teachers (one of whom is a robot like Curie) to marry each other as an unmarked quest. They even have a little wedding.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Croccers posted:

Even Red Faction Guerrila's No-Fun-Allowed Police was better, you had more interesting toys to shoot them with at least.

I get that you're supposed to be playing a guerilla insurgency against a much larger and better-equipped occupying force but it's a drat shame that they made a game with such amazing building destruction and then made it impossible to really screw around with it before you were swarmed by goons. Even on the easiest difficulty they would soak up tons of your limited pool of ammo to kill and spawn endlessly until you turned tail and ran to the hills, and they were lethal enough that you didn't even really get to have much fun dispatching them creatively before they killed you.

Also the unlockables in Guerilla were super grindy, I played plenty of side activity and challenges and I still was only really able to upgrade two weapons by the end of the game. It's a game that really benefits from playing on PC and using Cheat Engine to give yourself tons of scrap so you can carry plenty of explosives from the get-go.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Rangpur posted:

The map in DQ8 is gigantic, but there isn't nearly enough stuff in it to justify the size. You can either travel straight from point A to point B, and ignore something like 80% of the geography. Or you can try to poke around in the hope that out of the 18 cliff faces, valleys and cul-de-sacs along the way, maybe one or two will have a treasure chest.

That's JRPG maps in general and I'll never get why people still cry about how most modern JRPGs don't have huge overworld maps anymore. Even genre darlings like FFVI had jack all going on in the map, most of it just being empty forests, fields and mountains you're going to fly right over while heading for your next destination.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's about scope

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

That's JRPG maps in general and I'll never get why people still cry about how most modern JRPGs don't have huge overworld maps anymore. Even genre darlings like FFVI had jack all going on in the map, most of it just being empty forests, fields and mountains you're going to fly right over while heading for your next destination.

Old games could have a whole new side character added in like, ten minutes. Sprite + dialogue + world location as an x-y tile, done. Twenty if it was animated or could change direction.

It takes twenty minutes to fix the fingers from the mocap for one pose on a modern, low-detail npc. And players are less forgiving of repetition.

Boggus
Mar 26, 2007

A yellow jumpsuit makes all the difference.
Agents of Mayhem doesn't have coop.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Nuebot posted:

Is it though? I'm used to PS2 era JRPGs and it still jumped out at me as weirdly large for how empty it is. It's especially odd when the towns and dungeons are both built on a more reasonable scale, and more rewarding when it comes to exploring. Thankfully I'm playing the 3DS version which lets you weave around random encounters. Despite its other strengths I can't imagine putting up with it in the PS2 era. Playing it would have been a huge pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Nuebot posted:

One more reason Chrono Trigger kicks rear end.