Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

The main problem I had with AC3 was not actually Connor - I didn't mind him as much as many and liked his final scene with Charles Lee, but my problem was with the Naval missions, because they are completely optional - but two of the portrait targets die in those missions as they are Naval bosses - because I didn't do those missions, when Connor had finished his crusade I saw him taking the pictures down and couldn't help but think "Wait a minute... who were those two and when did they die?"

Im still pissed they killed off Desmond rather than make him more interesting. I liked his bond to the present a lot more than the random Abstergo crap of the last few games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
They should have dropped the framing device after Desmond's death, ended the future story and just made games about going to historically interesting settings and murdering people in them.

So, uh, Fallout 4 doesn't get all the cool ending scenes that New Vegas had. Just a "Huh, guess I'm stuck living here speech" then return to gameplay. I really miss finding out how my actions affected various groups and individuals. I know this isn't an original thought, but I really hope Obsidian get to make a Fallout game in this engine.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sunswipe posted:

So, uh, Fallout 4 doesn't get all the cool ending scenes that New Vegas had. Just a "Huh, guess I'm stuck living here speech" then return to gameplay.

Like 3 of the 4 endings are practically the exact same thing as well (Duhhh let's just blow it all up!) and they're incredibly stupid and out of character in 2 of them.

Like out of everything I really dislike in FO4, the endings might take the cake for being the most :psyduck: of it all.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Yardbomb posted:

Like 3 of the 4 endings are practically the exact same thing as well (Duhhh let's just blow it all up!) and they're incredibly stupid and out of character in 2 of them.

Like out of everything I really dislike in FO4, the endings might take the cake for being the most :psyduck: of it all.
Really stupid because I decided to support the Railroad, and had become Director of the Institute along the way. Why blow the place up when I could order the Institute to stop being dicks and use their technology for good? I get that some Institute personnel wouldn't go for it, but the combined Railroad and rebel synth forces should be enough to overwhelm them. And if that isn't enough, I've still got "Stop being dicks or I'll blow you all up" as a fallback position.

Overally, FO4 reminds me of Deus Ex: Human Revolution. They're both pretty good shooters with RPG elements and poo poo endings. I'll give credit to FO4 for the ending choice being a bit more than pushing a button though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Fallout 3 also had a problem with forcing you to make an absolutely boneheaded decision to actually end the game, especially if you have a robot or super mutant ally. Bethesda seems married to the idea of idiot-ball endings.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
It's almost like Bethsoft has writers who can do small-scale setpieces pretty well, but are complete dogshit at writing large-scale narratives.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It was a bit of a trip when I realised that trailers for the game were including snippets of the ending monologue because they're basically spoiler-free. Entirely so if you manage to correctly guess certain plot details

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sunswipe posted:

Really stupid because I decided to support the Railroad, and had become Director of the Institute along the way. Why blow the place up when I could order the Institute to stop being dicks and use their technology for good? I get that some Institute personnel wouldn't go for it, but the combined Railroad and rebel synth forces should be enough to overwhelm them. And if that isn't enough, I've still got "Stop being dicks or I'll blow you all up" as a fallback position.

Yeah Railroad was one of those, the other is BoS to me.

Of course, let's just blow this whole place up right fuckin now, it's not like even the toilets in this place have more advanced circuitry and design than all the rest of the computers topside combined or anything, not to mention even with the hole blown in it, it's not like this place is incredibly defensible and packed to the gills with security features and advanced weaponry we could repurpose, don't even get me started on the renewable energy, clean water and food production that could supply a hefty garrison here, oh and gathering and hogging technology? Psssh, we don't do that.

Like aaaaaaahhhhhhhh did their ending suck mountains of rear end.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Asscreed should have gone either two ways:

1. Finally release a game where Desmond becomes the real Main Character who fully acquired all of his Assassin training through the Bleed effect from prolonged use in the Animus. No frame story behind it, just follow the plot throughout and maybe pepper some one off levels here and there where he relives setpieces as Ancestors to show how deep his bloodline goes.

2. Continued to have the meta story in the background, but have other subplots separate from Desmond be the frame story for different games to keep the franchise "fresher" than it's been and to prevent story fatigue. Like they could keep the whole Ubisoft is a shell company for Abstergo thing they were doing in Black Flag and that could be happening concurrently with Desmond running off to hunt for relics that could show up in a later game.

They hit it big with Ezio, tried their hand at expanding that story with Brotherhood, and realized it was easier to stay in the same time period because they didn't have to worry about generating new assets but then realized people were getting bored with staying on one Ancestor when one of the things the series teased its players was that, eventually, we'd get to play this jerkoff who walks around outside of the Matrix chair and stares at walls all day.

And I don't know if they could modernize Asscreed. Like the latest the series ever got was the Industrial Revolution and now instead of moving forward they're going all the way back to being a prequel of sorts. Watch_Dogs is supposed to be spiritually similar to it, but the core gameplay is too different to be considered an Asscreed.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

It's really impossible to set asscreed in the modern era because it would be impossible to have a group of shadow assassins murdering people without them being a) licensed by a government entity (which I think Abstergo represents in the games) or b) terrorists (which can't be the case because the assassins are the good guys, right?). I know in some cases we must suspend disbelief because there are aliens and magical artifacts and dudes jumping hundreds of feet into bales of hay but really it would become too unbelievable.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I want to whine about ARPGs a little more.

The normal/nightmare/hell gameplay loop isn't inherently good just because Diablo 2 did it, but if you are going to do it, don't just loving scale the levels up and leave it at that. Level scaling is a goddamn blight on ARPGs anyway, why bother getting excited about 10 more HP if the same enemies in the same room now do 10 more damage? Diablo 2 at the very least actually changed the fundamental gameplay a little bit -- the maps got bigger, the monster density was increased, there were more elite enemies and those enemies had more powers and their resistances became immunities. Act 1 Hell wasn't just the same as Act 1 Normal + 60 levels, you had to actually have your poo poo in order. But even Blizzard realized it was garbage if you didn't want to go the distance on it which is why they took out the Diablo 3 NG+ loop with the expansion and just let you pick a difficulty.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Yardbomb posted:

I'll give them the original game's segments, cause it was like a cool mystery deal at that point, but really everything after that felt like such a hard and fast tumble downhill for me.

The fact that I've only ever completed AC2 and Brotherhood is probably why I still have a fondness for the metaplot.

RyokoTK posted:

I want to whine about ARPGs a little more.

While I'm at it, some final thoughts on Victor Vran:

1) Making certain enemy types outright immune to crit damage is dumb as hell, and I'm pretty sure that's the only hard immunity that even exists in the game. Half the weapon types are completely oriented around chaining crits.

2) The combat plateaus hard about halfway through. Non-unique weapons will only ever have at most 2 bog standard enchantments on them, while unique weapons have all sorts of kooky and fun effects but are rare enough that I never found uniques of my preferred two types. The only other way to gain more weapon abilities is to slot weapon-specific tarot cards, but unfortunately all but a few of their effects are boring as hell. For example, the Swordsman card just gives +20% crit damage to swords and getting a crit with its main skill gives 10 seconds of health regen. Incredibly effective, but insanely boring. I don't think I even found every weapon's associated tarot card either. Along similar lines, you're drip-fed tarot points pretty drat slowly (+1 every three levels or something like that by the end game), but tarot card costs scale out of sync with how many points you get once the good stuff rolls in. So I got both empty levels and instead of a fun optimization puzzle I just ended up being forced to slot the three unambiguously best cards I had and then filled out the rest with whatever could fit, usually with points left over.

And then none of it matters anyway because outside of a few obnoxious challenges you can cakewalk through the rest of the game. There's not enough challenge to make chasing upgrades worth it, yet not enough depth to make my existing loadout particularly fun to keep playing.

For as much as I hate over-complicated skill trees, those at least usually try to have some big "aha" moment where even if you're not a min-maxer you can be satisfied that you reached a capstone skill or discovered some game-changing synergy.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 06:07 on Aug 16, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

MisterBibs posted:

Playing it again out of curiosity, I'm realizing why I abandoned Anno 2070 after only a few hours: its utter impenetrability. Not only am I generally not told how to do X and have to do guesswork on how to proceed, a lot of the time I'm dumped onto a screen and given no basic instruction on how to do it.

I just half-rage-half-meh quit when I was dumped onto a trade route screen with absolutely no knowledge on what the hell to do, what random name represents which base, and which base is in dire need of what thing.

Anno 2070 was even more incomprehensible if you picked it up late. The main menu would barrage you DLC notifications, characters would discuss late game events even if you haven't finished the tutorial.
The base game itself is the typical Anno series resource chain game, but there is this weird layer on top that exists purely to be confusing. Not to mention a lovely RTS mode that exists that is crazy easy if you slowly creep around the map and horde the cooldowns, but extremely difficult if you don't. Game is honestly a mess.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

The normal/nightmare/hell gameplay loop isn't inherently good just because Diablo 2 did it, but if you are going to do it, don't just loving scale the levels up and leave it at that. Level scaling is a goddamn blight on ARPGs anyway, why bother getting excited about 10 more HP if the same enemies in the same room now do 10 more damage? Diablo 2 at the very least actually changed the fundamental gameplay a little bit -- the maps got bigger, the monster density was increased, there were more elite enemies and those enemies had more powers and their resistances became immunities. Act 1 Hell wasn't just the same as Act 1 Normal + 60 levels, you had to actually have your poo poo in order. But even Blizzard realized it was garbage if you didn't want to go the distance on it which is why they took out the Diablo 3 NG+ loop with the expansion and just let you pick a difficulty.

Path of Exile recently changed to do a 10 act structure with the difficulty increasing in 2 stages mid- and end-game. I kind of miss the old loop, the setpieces are neat and so are some of the new enemies but the bosses kind of suck, I don't have any practice zooming on through it and I miss merciless lake.

The worst part is there's no new voice acting for the player characters, so they're just completely silent apart from their normal event quips for half the game. The writing isn't stellar but it's usually decent fun and it adds a good chunk of personality to the game, but now it's gone.

John Murdoch posted:

While I'm at it, some final thoughts on Victor Vran:

1) Making certain enemy types outright immune to crit damage is dumb as hell, and I'm pretty sure that's the only hard immunity that even exists in the game. Half the weapon types are completely oriented around chaining crits.

2) The combat plateaus hard about halfway through. Non-unique weapons will only ever have at most 2 bog standard enchantments on them, while unique weapons have all sorts of kooky and fun effects but are rare enough that I never found uniques of my preferred two types. The only other way to gain more weapon abilities is to slot weapon-specific tarot cards, but unfortunately all but a few of their effects are boring as hell. For example, the Swordsman card just gives +20% crit damage to swords and getting a crit with its main skill gives 10 seconds of health regen. Incredibly effective, but insanely boring. I don't think I even found every weapon's associated tarot card either. Along similar lines, you're drip-fed tarot points pretty drat slowly (+1 every three levels or something like that by the end game), but tarot card costs scale out of sync with how many points you get once the good stuff rolls in. So I got both empty levels and instead of a fun optimization puzzle I just ended up being forced to slot the three unambiguously best cards I had and then filled out the rest with whatever could fit, usually with points left over.

And then none of it matters anyway because outside of a few obnoxious challenges you can cakewalk through the rest of the game. There's not enough challenge to make chasing upgrades worth it, yet not enough depth to make my existing loadout particularly fun to keep playing.

For as much as I hate over-complicated skill trees, those at least usually try to have some big "aha" moment where even if you're not a min-maxer you can be satisfied that you reached a capstone skill or discovered some game-changing synergy.

Were you playing with any of the difficulty runes? Those kept things challenging a bit longer for me, although aside from a handful of enemies it just plateaued a little bit later. Some of them are just loving obnoxious too, the armour+regen one is just annoying to deal with. Upgrading never felt worth it, it's capped by i-level and the gains are so marginal I may as well just wait to find or buy a higher level item with the mods I want.

I want to play freelancer but I'd have to rearrange my computer's guts a bit to get my drive working and I dont feel like doing that and I probably wouldn't want to play it for that long anyway. Why is life so hard :(

Gitro has a new favorite as of 06:25 on Aug 16, 2017

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I just turned on the difficulty runes when necessary for challenges and then immediately back off. I guess I could've left Pain turned on since I was never not proccing some kind of healing effect, but meh.

I don't know if they ever fixed it, but I saw a post about how you can easily get more rare item find out of a single weapon enchant than you get from turning on all five runes. And the XP bonus doesn't mean much if you go for all of the challenges; I ended up at like level 48 out of 50 by the end.

By upgrades I meant literally any gear improvement at all. Not only was transmutation largely not worth it, I spent a good portion of the game with the same two slightly-upgraded weapons, ignoring everything else because it would have dumb enchantments or at least ones totally incompatible with my build.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 06:40 on Aug 16, 2017

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Wolfenstein: the New Order - fantastic game, great writing, does a fantastic job of making the Nazi-dominated world feel real, lots of little touches to make it all come together.

Except: there's one level where you're attacking a Nazi command center, and on the wall is a big status map of the world... and its got real-word, 21st century borders marked on it. Gahh! And it's a whole wall, it's not a subtle little thing!

Gitro
May 29, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

I just turned on the difficulty runes when necessary for challenges and then immediately back off. I guess I could've left Pain turned on since I was never not proccing some kind of healing effect, but meh.

I don't know if they ever fixed it, but I saw a post about how you can easily get more rare item find out of a single weapon enchant than you get from turning on all five runes. And the XP bonus doesn't mean much if you go for all of the challenges; I ended up at like level 48 out of 50 by the end.

By upgrades I meant literally any gear improvement at all. Not only was transmutation largely not worth it, I spent a good portion of the game with the same two slightly-upgraded weapons, ignoring everything else because it would have dumb enchantments or at least ones totally incompatible with my build.

Yeah, I only ever really used the runes for bumping the difficulty. Pain was always a joke, even before you get good healing you can just use potions every couple of minutes and ignore it.

I also spent a lot of the time with the same shotgun and a whatever thing in the other slot. There just aren't that many useful enchants, +damage and crit, maybe armour pierce but I was never clear on exactly how valuable that was. The demon powers were pretty much the same, I switched through a few things and then I realised that berserk aura was nuts and spent the rest of the game with the one purple one that dropped.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Angry Salami posted:

Wolfenstein: the New Order - fantastic game, great writing, does a fantastic job of making the Nazi-dominated world feel real, lots of little touches to make it all come together.

Except: there's one level where you're attacking a Nazi command center, and on the wall is a big status map of the world... and its got real-word, 21st century borders marked on it. Gahh! And it's a whole wall, it's not a subtle little thing!

The countries settled that way faster due to Nazi control, immersion fixed!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

im pooping! posted:

It's really impossible to set asscreed in the modern era because it would be impossible to have a group of shadow assassins murdering people without them being a) licensed by a government entity (which I think Abstergo represents in the games) or b) terrorists (which can't be the case because the assassins are the good guys, right?). I know in some cases we must suspend disbelief because there are aliens and magical artifacts and dudes jumping hundreds of feet into bales of hay but really it would become too unbelievable.

Firearms of the modern era makes most of the game mechanics unneccessary or obsolete. They already had to take away several pistols from the player when going from AC4 to AC:Rogue.

Also, the assassins are no longer the 'good guys'; In the newer games they are portrayed as less evil than templars, but still doing similarly lovely things to the civilians when left unchecked. This actually improves the overall story.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

The main problem I had with AC3 was not actually Connor - I didn't mind him as much as many and liked his final scene with Charles Lee, but my problem was with the Naval missions, because they are completely optional - but two of the portrait targets die in those missions as they are Naval bosses - because I didn't do those missions, when Connor had finished his crusade I saw him taking the pictures down and couldn't help but think "Wait a minute... who were those two and when did they die?"

I have to say that big part of everyone hating Connor must have been the lovely writing: his character has no doubt the highest amount of stupid poo poo happening to him on cutscenes. Guy keeps getting outwitted, arrested, knocked out or cockblocked like on every other cutscene, and the player takes over at the point when the cutscene Connor has once again shat the bed.

Also, as mentioned, there were several loving stupid "you cannot kill your target"-missions; I am a goddamn master assassin, not the gently caress US Post or nanny, go shove that delivery/escort assignment to your rear end. Killing a fuckwit on sight was never a problem to Ezio and others.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

im pooping! posted:

Abstergo always represents the dominant group and the Assassins are the underdogs. It's basic power dynamics writing because everyone naturally roots for an underdog, but keeping the power structure more or less the same for so long makes it seem like the Assassins really suck at their job.

Der Kyhe posted:

Also, the assassins are no longer the 'good guys'; In the newer games they are portrayed as less evil than templars, but still doing similarly lovely things to the civilians when left unchecked. This actually improves the overall story.

They're trying to go for a 'the truth is in the middle' approach and that can be interesting but honestly they've spun their wheels too long for me to want to play Rogue to know if it goes anywhere.

Der Kyhe posted:

I have to say that big part of everyone hating Connor must have been the lovely writing: his character has no doubt the highest amount of stupid poo poo happening to him on cutscenes. Guy keeps getting outwitted, arrested, knocked out or cockblocked like on every other cutscene, and the player takes over at the point when the cutscene Connor has once again shat the bed.

Also, as mentioned, there were several loving stupid "you cannot kill your target"-missions; I am a goddamn master assassin, not the gently caress US Post or nanny, go shove that delivery/escort assignment to your rear end. Killing a fuckwit on sight was never a problem to Ezio and others.

I had this problem with Infamous: Second Son. Delsin gets clowned on in cutscenes sevaral times as a way to reset the narrative and never give him the upper hand. Stuff like that is supposed to give you the feeling that the villains are masterminds that can play you hard but you can run the risk of making the main character come off like an idiot.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Action Tortoise posted:

I had this problem with Infamous: Second Son. Delsin gets clowned on in cutscenes sevaral times as a way to reset the narrative and never give him the upper hand. Stuff like that is supposed to give you the feeling that the villains are masterminds that can play you hard but you can run the risk of making the main character come off like an idiot.

This so loving much. Some game stories are way too in love with showing how loving omnipotent the villains are. It's my biggest complaint with Uncharted 3. The writers seemed almost afraid to let Nathan Drake have even the tiniest thing over on the bad guys. So the entire story is a long slog where every time a cutscene takes over you start rolling your eyes preemptively.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

DoubleNegative posted:

This so loving much. Some game stories are way too in love with showing how loving omnipotent the villains are. It's my biggest complaint with Uncharted 3. The writers seemed almost afraid to let Nathan Drake have even the tiniest thing over on the bad guys. So the entire story is a long slog where every time a cutscene takes over you start rolling your eyes preemptively.

Joseph Anderson had a great take on Talbot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma4DJbvO84I&t=4245s

Like, just fantastic take

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma4DJbvO84I&t=5201s

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 14:46 on Aug 16, 2017

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was actually pretty excited to play AssCreed 3. I've always lived either in Philadelphia or in the adjacent suburbs, and we all know AssCreed games always give you three cities to run around in, so it'd be pretty cool parkouring around Old City back when it was new. I mean, hell, a good chunk of the wilderness in the game is Valley Forge; surely I'll be able to get to play in Philadelphia!

It still wasn't as disappointing as loading Homefront: Revolution and seeing beautiful, metropolitan Camden to the north of Port Richmond, just across the north/south running Ben Franklin Bridge. They got so much right in that game, down to the style of the street signs, but completely hosed up the map.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

seriously, i thought he was nyarlathotep or something.

motherfucker teleports everywhere.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Der Kyhe posted:

Connor summed up in six words; "What would you have me do?"

Seriously, he says that SO much. Makes it feel less like he has any initiative and is just doing what anyone tells him to do.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

It would have been better if Connor could only speak Kanakehaken...

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Connor was basically Forest Gump. He's involved in every historical event of the time in a way none of the other AC protagonists are and yet he has no investment or understanding of these events.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Ratchet and Clank 1 HD has a trophy for getting 1 million bolts. Thing is, it probably doesn't take much more than 600k to get everything so this trophy only introduces hours of extra grinding. I might have skipped it but this was the last trophy to get platinum so I didn't really want to leave it. I ended up using the bolt trick.

To platinum Ratchet and Clank 2 HD you need the wrench ninja massacre 2 skill point. It wouldn't be much of a problem except for the fact it won't count unless you manage to hit every enemy with your wrench once before they die. One wave of enemies being very disposed to killing each other turned it from a several tries endeavour into an extremely frustrating several hour one. Also, the spiderbot is a lovely weapon. It's upgraded form is a potent weapon because it has it's own guns but using these apparently doesn't get you exp and the rate of exp gain for this weapon is excruciatingly slow. In fact, several runs of the final 2 levels barely moved the exp bar. Thank gently caress maxing it out wasn't necessary for platinum.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Death Zebra posted:

Ratchet and Clank 1 HD has a trophy for getting 1 million bolts. Thing is, it probably doesn't take much more than 600k to get everything so this trophy only introduces hours of extra grinding. I might have skipped it but this was the last trophy to get platinum so I didn't really want to leave it. I ended up using the bolt trick.

To platinum Ratchet and Clank 2 HD you need the wrench ninja massacre 2 skill point. It wouldn't be much of a problem except for the fact it won't count unless you manage to hit every enemy with your wrench once before they die. One wave of enemies being very disposed to killing each other turned it from a several tries endeavour into an extremely frustrating several hour one. Also, the spiderbot is a lovely weapon. It's upgraded form is a potent weapon because it has it's own guns but using these apparently doesn't get you exp and the rate of exp gain for this weapon is excruciatingly slow. In fact, several runs of the final 2 levels barely moved the exp bar. Thank gently caress maxing it out wasn't necessary for platinum.
I'm glad the people making the trophies didn't understand the games at all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Bar Crow posted:

Connor was basically Forest Gump. He's involved in every historical event of the time in a way none of the other AC protagonists are and yet he has no investment or understanding of these events.

Then again, why would a native-american be that invested in a fight between white people about who's gonna rule the country they just stole.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Then again, why would a native-american be that invested in a fight between white people about who's gonna rule the country they just stole.

But the transition from the renaissance playboy who had a fistfight with the pope, and burned a guard tower in the center of Istanbul because gently caress you that's why while killing like half of the Italy in the process of eradicating his enemies, to a person who bumbles around in forest and does not have a personality beyond angry, constipated stare.

And it wasn't exactly impossible to create someone who could stand up to the comparison against Ezio; Haytham Kenway could have been an excellent protagonist. Who created Haytham, and then Connor, and compared the two and decided 'yes this is exactly what we want from the protagonist of our flagship product'?

To summarize: Connor is afraid to shank some congressional aide, Ezio overtakes Vatican to administer a beating to the most powerful and influential man in the planet.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 19:15 on Aug 16, 2017

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
If I met the Pope I would have given him a copy of Assassin's Creed 2 and a save up to the point where he fights Pope Alexander.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think my favourite moment with Haytham was him finding out exactly why Connor was so staunchly against the templars, that Charles Lee killed his entire village in cold blood, including his mpther/Haytham's lover. I think that was the point where Haytham finally understood why he was never going to talk Connor round to his side. Also just loved his line, just a shocked and annoyed "I did not order that... :("

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Alhazred posted:

a fight between white people about who's gonna rule the country they just stole.

AC 1, Revelations, or III? Unity?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The Lazarus fight in Diablo loving sucks if you have a melee character. You get maybe one hit in before he teleports away and blasts you with a fireball again. It's the same with the magistrate and advocate enemies, but at least they only take a couple of hits before they go down and not a shitton like Lazarus.
It's also neat that they don't actually follow you and just teleport around.

The loving succubi in the later levels are terrible as well. You run into a group of them, they all scatter and you have to force one into the corner because they just keep running away from you while the rest of them shoot you in the back.
It's just tedious.

But I love how most unique items have a negative effect in addition to the positive stuff. You might get more damage from this sword but you also lose a ton of hit points. You want to be more of a glascannon or not?
The effects also just make sense a lot of time. Of course a big helmet with amazing armor stats reduces your sight. There a barely any eyeholes in it!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Death Zebra posted:

Gat out of Hell has a similar problem where all its weapon achievements are so grindy that you'll run out of actual content long before you finish them all. So you have to spend a few hours running around in circles shooting bad guys if you don't have the foresight to leave one of the enemy spawn points uncleared, and then thanks to the way they wanted system works you'll spend more time fighting the miniboss that spawns when your wanted meter is full than anything else.

For an open world game composed almost entirely of side activities you would think they would put a little more thought into balancing them.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Guy Mann posted:

Gat out of Hell has a similar problem where all its weapon achievements are so grindy that you'll run out of actual content long before you finish them all. So you have to spend a few hours running around in circles shooting bad guys if you don't have the foresight to leave one of the enemy spawn points uncleared, and then thanks to the way they wanted system works you'll spend more time fighting the miniboss that spawns when your wanted meter is full than anything else.

For an open world game composed almost entirely of side activities you would think they would put a little more thought into balancing them.

Wantedness dragged Saints Row 3 down for me because I couldn't do anything fun without ending up dodging an army of helicopters and being chased back to a store.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Caphi posted:

Wantedness dragged Saints Row 3 down for me because I couldn't do anything fun without ending up dodging an army of helicopters and being chased back to a store.

SRIV included a Snitch you could destroy to wipe all arrests and honestly any open world crime game needs to take that idea now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm glad the people making the trophies didn't understand the games at all.

I'm glad the people making the trophies hated people who feel the obsessive need to get all the trophies.

Action Tortoise posted:

SRIV included a Snitch you could destroy to wipe all arrests and honestly any open world crime game needs to take that idea now.

This was a double good inclusion because after the like halfway point, doing crime in saints row 4 kind of sucked. It wasn't bad enough that the cool and fun gangs from the earlier games were replaced with a singular "alien" faction, but after a while the alien grunts get replaced by lovely armored alien elites and bigger enemies that can only be beaten by hitting them in specific spots and poo poo. And after your alert level gets high enough a boss always shows up and it's a pain in the rear end. Saints row 4 is so much better than three in basically every way except how fun it is to just go on a stupid rampage in a tank or something.