Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Breitbart & similar sites are claiming SPLC outed alt-right organizer Kessler as a former Occupy Wall-Street organizer.

But I can't find any actual SPLC sources for this.

It's loving fascinating either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Bolow posted:

Yeah but all those people he listed won offensive military campaigns. Lee didn't :v:

quote:

Napoleon finished a little bit bad. But I asked that. So I asked the president, so what about Napoleon? He said: “No, no, no. What he did was incredible. He designed Paris.” [garbled] The street grid, the way they work, you know, the spokes. He did so many things even beyond. And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Lee's campaigns were very offensive, yes.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Now for an awesome one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVeo6QMcbW4

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Wait June we were outraged about Comey getting the boot weren't we?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Wait June we were outraged about Comey getting the boot weren't we?

No that was back at the beginning of may

E:jfc wikipedia already had to break it up into multiple pages

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Trump_presidency,_2017_Q2

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 17, 2017

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

June was the cancellation of the Paris Climate Agreement, Qatar getting hosed by the GCC, and Trump making GBS threads on the mayor of London. Huh.

Edit: Also the "new" travel ban.

BadOptics fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 17, 2017

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

goddamn I love the internet for things like this.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

BadOptics posted:

June was the cancellation of the Paris Climate Agreement, Qatar getting hosed by the GCC, and Trump making GBS threads on the mayor of London. Huh.

i either don't remember or i have the vaguest of recollections of all of those things.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If you can get it to load, Bannon gave a pretty detailed and unsolicited interview to The American Prospect on waging an economic war with China, on the complete nothingburger of North Korea responses, and how all the marchers in Charlottesville were "losers" and "a bunch of clowns."

http://prospect.org/article/steve-bannon-unrepentant

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Belgian Waffle posted:

goddamn I love the internet for things like this.

I've always thought that whoever runs against Trump, Republican or Democrat, should have a running gag of "ON THIS DAY ONE/TWO/THREE YEARS AGO, PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP ___________". There's enough crap most days that you don't need to focus on just his words, but the actual actions.

The bonus is that everyone pays attention to the speaker's introduction, because the _________ could be "deported 1000 immigrants" or "tweeted covfefe" or "did nothing because he was golfing all day". Breaks up the stump speech.

Good news for once too: https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/897993027490201600

The vigil was organized by word-of-mouth only, no social media, for safety.

Thwomp posted:

If you can get it to load, Bannon gave a pretty detailed and unsolicited interview to The American Prospect on waging an economic war with China, on the complete nothingburger of North Korea responses, and how all the marchers in Charlottesville were "losers" and "a bunch of clowns."

http://prospect.org/article/steve-bannon-unrepentant

Whoops! Bannon Mooched himself! (edit: probably deliberately trying to get himself fired)

Edit2: Cached page - https://archive.fo/v3IIv

https://www.axios.com/bannons-colle...ampaign=organic

quote:

The White House chief strategist has told associates he never intended to do an "interview" with an editor at the American Prospect, a left-wing publication.

Bannon has told associates that he admired the author's stance on China, and so called the journalist, Robert Kuttner, on Tuesday, to discuss his piece. Apparently Bannon never thought that the journalist might take his (very newsworthy) comments and turn them into a story. It's Anthony Scaramucci all over again (minus the curse words.)

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 17, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

NUKES CURE NORKS posted:

i either don't remember or i have the vaguest of recollections of all of those things.

trump holding a glowing orb surrounded by saudi royalty (or was that in may also)

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

BadOptics posted:

And Comey's testimony before the Senate + McCain's (tumor?) rambling.

Edit: this morning, the Secretary of the Air Force sent out a rather pointed email to all airmen about how "integrity" is the first and most important value expected of airmen, and attached a letter from Secdef Mattis (dated a few days before the Charlottesville rally) reminding servicemembers to behave ethically at all times.

As noted earlier in this thread, the overriding sentiment on the part of service chiefs/secretaries tends to be "stay out of it" when it comes to domestic matters.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 17, 2017

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
When is the army renaming their bases that were named after Confederate generals? Benning, Bragg, Hill, Hood, Lee, Polk, etc.

e: it would be Mattis' call wouldn't it?

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 17, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Suicide Watch posted:

When is the army renaming their bases that were named after Confederate generals? Benning, Bragg, Hill, Hood, Lee, Polk, etc.

Can't wait

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Arc Light posted:

As noted earlier in this thread, the overriding sentiment on the part of service chiefs/secretaries tends to be "stay out of it" when it comes to domestic matters.

They've moved well past "stay out of it" into passive aggressive slow rolling. There are a few JAGs probably trying to work out the forms for "Must respectfully refuse this illegal order." Which will be quite a trick given the years of work they've already put in making sure no possible order can be outside the authority of a command officer.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Rename Fort Benning to Fort Sherman tia

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Arc Light posted:

And Comey's testimony before the Senate + McCain's (tumor?) rambling.

Edit: this morning, the Secretary of the Air Force sent out a rather pointed email to all airmen about how "integrity" is the first and most important value expected of airmen, and attached a letter from Secdef Mattis (dated a few days before the Charlottesville rally) reminding servicemembers to behave ethically at all times.

Yeah, I read that e-mail this afternoon. It wasn't anything new as I had read Mattis' letter earlier this month when someone posted it up on twitter, but it's kinda surreal getting an official e-mail from the CSAF with it attached (and in context with everything that's happened over the last few days).

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Victor Vermis posted:

Breitbart & similar sites are claiming SPLC outed alt-right organizer Kessler as a former Occupy Wall-Street organizer.

But I can't find any actual SPLC sources for this.

It's loving fascinating either way.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate/extremist-files/individual/jason-kessler

Sixth and seventh paragraph

quote:

Rumors abound on white nationalist forums that Kessler’s ideological pedigree before 2016 was less than pure and seem to point to involvement in the Occupy movement and past support for President Obama.

At one recent speech in favor of Charlottesville’s status as a sanctuary city, Kessler live-streamed himself as an attendee questioned him and apologized for an undisclosed spat during Kessler’s apparent involvement with Occupy. Kessler appeared visibly perturbed by the woman’s presence and reminders of their past association.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Occupy Wall Street was a weird fusion of left-wing and right-wing, with some young guys who were the first to livestream protests at OWS back then drifting over into the alt-right in 2015-2016. I think they were Ron Paul libertarians at the time. Now they worship Pinochet and joke about throwing communists out of helicopters. Ideological evolution is a hell of a thing.

I also remember living in Austin and listening to Alex Jones on the radio (on FM radio there!) about how the "1776 patriots" needed to join OWS and steer it toward Ending Da Fed.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 17, 2017

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
We are the bread and
We are the circus.
Everybody is just
Here for the violence.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Suicide Watch posted:

e: it would be Mattis' call wouldn't it?

Close them, roll the army into the marines.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Godholio posted:

Close them, roll the army into the marines.

Fort Chesty, Fort Puller, Fort Iwo Jima, Fort Guadalcanal, Fort Pisstape, Fort Fallujah, Fort Haditha

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Occupy Wall Street was a weird fusion of left-wing and right-wing, with some young guys who were the first to livestream protests at OWS back then drifting over into the alt-right in 2015-2016. I think they were Ron Paul libertarians at the time. Now they worship Pinochet and joke about throwing communists out of helicopters. Ideological evolution is a hell of a thing.

I also remember living in Austin and listening to Alex Jones on the radio (on FM radio there!) about how the "1776 patriots" needed to join OWS and steer it toward Ending Da Fed.

Think of it like an "all roads lead to Alex Jones/RT" kind of thing because it's a coordinated operation to put a thumb on the scale of opposition media and wedge them apart.

Like sure you may start at Bush stealing 2000 but by 2004 you're pretty sure he took advantage of 9/11 so he could steal oil and impress his dad, so maybe it's possible he let it happen, no, he made it happen. All the while those ideas get reinforced by Naomi Klein, Glenn Greenwald, WikiLeaks, RT, and Alex Jones. Sure maybe you aren't on board with chemtrails and weather control but soon enough you're drat sure the bilderbergs run everything and all media is a control system designed to present an illusion opposite reality so everything that gets said in well-sourced journalism is definitely a flat lie and only underground "safe" sources like Infowars, Prison Planet, WikiLeaks, and RT are the truth. Hell, they're the only truth out there, what they publish is the truth.

It's unrealistically cynical but I've seen that slide - Ron Paul, audit the fed, bankers control everything, fake money if it's not gold, the loving final war is on us and only Alex Jones knows it's coming hnnnggghhh. It's all designed to convince people that they're neo trapped in the matrix for lack of a better word.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bolow posted:

Rename Fort Benning to Fort Sherman tia

I'd go for this. Change Bragg to McPherson, the Union general who was killed at the Battle of Atlanta.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

BigDave posted:

I'd go for this. Change Bragg to McPherson, the Union general who was killed at the Battle of Atlanta.

There's already a Fort McPherson...in Atlanta.

Edit - personally I'd switch Bragg to Burnside to exchange one side's gently caress-up general for another.

Terrifying Effigies fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 17, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/Nikeyg1/status/897950986416906241

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Terrifying Effigies posted:

There's already a Fort McPherson...in Atlanta.

Oh. That's what I get for not checking.

Here's one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Anderson_(Medal_of_Honor)

Was awarded the Medal of Honor at the Battle of Bentonville, for recapturing a artillery piece.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Just make them all Fort Sherman

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Can one be fort Upham in honour of nzs greatest soldier

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

RFC2324 posted:

Just the ones in the south will do.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

A solid reminder of what will happen should the south try to rise again.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SHERMAN CURES CSA

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Can we get an emote that is just Sherman's awesome smile?

E: That is also the satisfied smile of a man who knows he has caused unimaginable anguish on his enemies and is pretty much singlehandedly responsible for crushing the South.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

house dems are introducing a motion to censure

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Victor Vermis posted:

We are the bread and
We are the circus.
Everybody is just
Here for the violence.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

house dems are introducing a motion to censure

Getting a quarter chub here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

We are the bread and
We are the circus.
Everybody is just
Here for the violence.
Pretty soon it'll be all circus, no bread.

• Locked thread