Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Made rigatoni, sauce was a beef bolognese with braised italian sausage and veal as well because why not.

Sorry for the destroyed stovetop and low DoF food shots I didn't take many and just wanted to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

Made rigatoni, sauce was a beef bolognese with braised italian sausage and veal as well because why not.

Sorry for the destroyed stovetop and low DoF food shots I didn't take many and just wanted to eat.

looks good, is that whole wheat? KitchenAid extruder?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

large hands posted:

looks good, is that whole wheat? KitchenAid extruder?

Yeah used the kitchenaid extruder. It's 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 semolina. I would have preferred just regular all purpose flour but forgot I didn't have enough.

e: after they are cut from the extruder I run a floured chopstick through them to open up the pinched end. I figure someone will read this and have the same thing happen to them.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
How do you like that extruder? Worth the $150 or whatever it is?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dolicf posted:

How do you like that extruder? Worth the $150 or whatever it is?

Yeah I think I got mine for $120 used once on eBay. It's pretty great but only used it for spaghetti and rigatoni so far.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

Skirt steak carne asada.

I typically use flank steak, but went for skirt this time. Problem was, it was crazy tough. Almost inedible. Cooked SV @131F for 8 hours, finished on the grill. I used Kenji's marinade in the SV bag. I'm kind of baffled. Anyone have any ideas?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
I need to work on my plating but:

Orange Soy Ginger salmon with bell pepper tomato risotto.

I'm getting back into cooking every night. I made enough risotto to feed an army, so it's going to be tomorrow night's side dish as well.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

dolicf posted:

Skirt steak carne asada.

I typically use flank steak, but went for skirt this time. Problem was, it was crazy tough. Almost inedible. Cooked SV @131F for 8 hours, finished on the grill. I used Kenji's marinade in the SV bag. I'm kind of baffled. Anyone have any ideas?

I just marinate it for a couple hours, then grill it fast on a hot fire. SV seems unnecessary. Slice it very thin on a bias against the grain and it's great.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Thickness may have been my issue. The slices were approx. 1/3" or so.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

dolicf posted:

Skirt steak carne asada.

So pretty

AA is for Quitters posted:

And camera work. You're casting a shadow, let alone bad camera/lighting :P But I bet it was delicious and it still looks pretty good.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

dolicf posted:

Thickness may have been my issue. The slices were approx. 1/3" or so.

Maybe. You sure you cut against the grain of the meat?

Also I was curious and if you look on Serious Eats Kenji actually recommends against cooking skirt steak sous vide.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Maybe. You sure you cut against the grain of the meat?

Also I was curious and if you look on Serious Eats Kenji actually recommends against cooking skirt steak sous vide.

I must have missed that. Good to know; I don't often cook with skirt as my local meat purveyor doesn't often have it.

e: pretty sure I cut against the grain, but now I'm doubting myself. Maybe I'm just dumb.

dolicf fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 17, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My local grocery store doesn't actually have a butchery department and the only flank/skirt steak available is the expensive pre-packaged kind. Could be worse.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

dolicf posted:

I must have missed that. Good to know; I don't often cook with skirt as my local meat purveyor doesn't often have it.

e: pretty sure I cut against the grain, but now I'm doubting myself. Maybe I'm just dumb.

Skirt is going to either melt in your mouth if cut against the grain, or be incredibly tough if cut with it. Doesn't look overcooked in your pictures...

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

AA is for Quitters posted:

Orange Soy Ginger salmon with bell pepper tomato risotto.

I'm getting back into cooking every night. I made enough risotto to feed an army, so it's going to be tomorrow night's side dish as well.

Echoing the other poster on the photography. I don't think your plating is bad necessarily (though it's risotto; not exactly difficult), but a couple suggestions: wipe off the stray grains of rice, and look in to how to improve your photography. This was a huge help for me: http://photographingfood.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/photographing_food_issue_1.pdf Also keep in mind your backdrop.

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010
Another one, this was lunch today (working from home is the best):

Squid ink pasta aglio e olio

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I made a really nice chicken and lentil soup in my Instant Pot and upon taking a few spoonfuls I realized that I forgot to wash the lentils. :(

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

large hands posted:

:eyepop:

did you follow a recipe?

No specific recipes really but I made it after going to Flour + Water in SF: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/agnolotti-dal-plin.html

The pasta was about 2 cups of flour, 2 full eggs, 4 yolks, 1tsp salt and 2tbsp of water. I just made up the filling but I have done braised short ribs several times and they're pretty forgiving. In a dutch oven, I cooked some bacon, removed that and then seared the short ribs and removed those. Then I sauteed some onion, shallots, garlic and carrots before adding red wine and beef broth and scraping the bottom the whole time. Then I added the short ribs and bacon back in along with some fresh thyme and rosemary and cooked that in the oven at 350 for ~2 hours.

When the meat was done, I put the shredded short rib and some of the onion mixture into a food processor to get it nearly pureed and then mixed that with the ricotta and pecorino before putting into a piping bag.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Random Hero posted:

No specific recipes really but I made it after going to Flour + Water in SF: https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/agnolotti-dal-plin.html

The pasta was about 2 cups of flour, 2 full eggs, 4 yolks, 1tsp salt and 2tbsp of water. I just made up the filling but I have done braised short ribs several times and they're pretty forgiving. In a dutch oven, I cooked some bacon, removed that and then seared the short ribs and removed those. Then I sauteed some onion, shallots, garlic and carrots before adding red wine and beef broth and scraping the bottom the whole time. Then I added the short ribs and bacon back in along with some fresh thyme and rosemary and cooked that in the oven at 350 for ~2 hours.

When the meat was done, I put the shredded short rib and some of the onion mixture into a food processor to get it nearly pureed and then mixed that with the ricotta and pecorino before putting into a piping bag.

Stuff like this makes me really sad that I'm doing lo-carb, cause that sounds loving delicious. Totally stealing that short rib recipe, though.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Oh look, more risotto! I really should post pics of the other things I cook. I swear I cook more than just rice!

Parmesan crisps were WAY too thick and the risotto was a tad drier than I like but it's tough cooking risotto for 4 in a karahi on an electric stove!

angor fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Aug 17, 2017

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

angor posted:

Parmesan crisps were WAY too thick

img-nosuchthing.png

That all looks great!!

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

angor posted:

Parmesan crisps were WAY too thick
:wrong:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

The Midniter posted:

img-nosuchthing.png

Guys, if the parmesan crisps aren't thin enough you don't get to try and lift them delicately and have them fall apart and have a mini panic attack while you try and salvage them but they just crumble through your fingers, duh.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

dolicf posted:

A few of the things I've recently made that I've been pleased with. Definitely trying to work on my plating (it needs work) and photography.

Pork tenderloin, carrot puree, red cabbage salad, pickled mustard seed

Strip steak, parmesean potatoes, bourbon thyme gastrique

Mac & cheese, smoked pork, pickled jalepenos

Pressure cooked broccoli & gruyere soup from MCaH

I want to preface this immediately by saying that I am not judging you, the poster, nor your shots shown here.

I hate this.

Food glamour shots belong in applebees menus to show how translucent the glaze on the wings is.
Well prepared food, well proportioned, should naturally appear appetizing in normal photos.

Staged shots of food absolutely and 100% of the time strike me as arranged masturbation - either for the photographer or the cook (or both).

Many of these things are not real (again not in this specific example, but one in which this highlights). Or, if they are real, are composed specifically to be photographed at that particular time and arrangement.

I don't dig on it. It's house-mom-food-blogger-y

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Big Beef City posted:

I want to preface this immediately by saying that I am not judging you, the poster, nor your shots shown here.

I hate this.

Food glamour shots belong in applebees menus to show how translucent the glaze on the wings is.
Well prepared food, well proportioned, should naturally appear appetizing in normal photos.

Staged shots of food absolutely and 100% of the time strike me as arranged masturbation - either for the photographer or the cook (or both).

Many of these things are not real (again not in this specific example, but one in which this highlights). Or, if they are real, are composed specifically to be photographed at that particular time and arrangement.

Huh? Nah. Shots look great.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Big Beef City posted:

I hate this.

I don't understand the criticism. Those are good pictures of what looks like good food.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

This thread is amazing where one post is saying your pics suk bro. The next post is saying pretty pictures are for nerds.

We all nerds.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Veritek83 posted:

I don't understand the criticism. Those are good pictures of what looks like good food.

I do understand the criticism of my post.
I also acknowledge that they are well done photos of good food.
I've expressly said I'm not criticizing that particular post; but rather that it is a good representation of the "I am a good chef because of this crisp photo of mac and cheese" photo style that has become so common.
A good camera and lighting can make up for what poor ingredients and a poor cook cannot, and I'm tired of seeing it and I'm sorry my words did not convey that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aesthetic is a personal taste thing and it doesn't look like Mom blog photos because there are no steel cut oats in the photos.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Big Beef City posted:

I've expressly said I'm not criticizing that particular post; but rather that it is a good representation of the "I am a good chef because of this crisp photo of mac and cheese" photo style that has become so common.
A good camera and lighting can make up for what poor ingredients and a poor cook cannot, and I'm tired of seeing it and I'm sorry my words did not convey that.

I don't think that's happening here. The food looks good, probably tasted good. I'm ambivalent about the pork loin but A+ everything else. I mean, I suppose I could pick it apart if asked, but why bother? It's unlikely I could do better and I would eat all of it.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
I think the photos look great.

I also am cringing in shame at how un-photogenic most of the stuff I make looks and am mad jelly. All of that looks super good. Although I am a fat american and would probably increase portion sizes slightly. This is dinner, the heartiest meal of the day, you're not at a $100/plate place, you're in your own kitchen. I get making your dining room feel like a $100/plate place.

Dinner tonight was frozen ravioli, as we missed the free buffet in town. (well, almost free. It was 1.95.) .

Tomorrow may well be breakfast burritos for dinner. Any tips on how to photograph those well?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

My camera is a potato, but these came out nice. I despise cupcakes, so I made some hand pies for this weekend.

Four flavors: Blueberry-lemon, cherry, apple, and peach. Egg wash and shot of demerara sugar on top.

Had some pie dough left over, so I turned yesterday's beef stew into a couple pasties for lunch as well.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
gently caress :yeah: pasties

dolicf
Sep 12, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

I feel you, and appreciate the input. Very recently, I was taking garbage pictures of my food on dirty stovetops with terrible lighting or whatever.

I understand the abhorrence for dumb staged shots (to pick on a random example I found on google) and share that. Ultimately, I'm just cooking for myself and enjoy pushing my personal boundaries here -- lately for me, that's been to try to plate things in ways I normally wouldn't (i.e. slopped on a plate). Putting a little bit of effort in to taking pictures of it helps me to think about how the food is going to look. And by a little, I do mean a little. I've got about $15 in lighting equipment for these shots, and spend about 30 seconds taking a picture with my phone and maybe another 30 seconds fiddling with in the photos app.

Anyways, appreciate the insight. It's not my intention to take over the top staged shots with these pictures, but rather to just cook food that is outside of my comfort zone and/or novel for me, so it's helpful to keep that in mind.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Talking about artistic shots of food, here's another try for me:

I thought the black and white looked very cool. (:ssh: it's to hide the fact i overcooked it.)

Eggplant and tofu...i guess Parmesan is the closest thing to call it. Tofu and eggplant deep fried, smothered in mushroom tomato sauce, and layered with pepperoni and cheese.

All I know is whatever you call it, it got my husband to eat both tofu [i]and[i/] eggplant.

Also, can I :toxx: myself in this thread? I'm trying really hard to eat at home six days a week. And at least two of those have to be something more involved than "open package, dump in pan". And at least two need to be cooked by me (my husband also likes to cook) We're wasting way too much money on eating out. I figure my photography will improve as well. My "cooking pretty" skill died when i stopped working in the industry, and I'd like to get back to that.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That black and white kind of reminds me of the "before" part of an infomercial where the person is struggling with a basic task. Not sure if it's flattering to the food

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

EoinCannon posted:

That black and white kind of reminds me of the "before" part of an infomercial where the person is struggling with a basic task. Not sure if it's flattering to the food

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
Black and white food looks hilariously unappetizing unless it's an ice cream sandwich

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Unedited version. Burnt cheese and all.

\/\/thank you. my husband liked it that way too. So,i guess that's how i'm going to cook it. And I'm going to cook it often and rub it in his face every time that he's eating eggplant and tofu. Also, try marinating tofu in hot sauce and then breading and frying it. It's amazing.

Dr Jankenstein fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I see perfectly browned and delicious crispy cheese?