Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who is the biggest fail club
This poll is closed.
arsenal 9223372036854775807 100.00%
not arsenal 1 0.00%
Total: 23 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Delph and Bony are hanging out in the secret no other guys allowed area of Man City

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Paperhouse posted:

Delph and Bony are hanging out in the secret no other guys allowed area of Man City

The sheikh went on a stadium tour, mistook them for escaped labourers and used the kafala system to get them back to work in abu dhabi

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Just let Adarabioyo have a crack, he's homegrown and probably as good as Evans and at least there's a chance him and Stones might start to develop some chemistry for five years down the line

when they're both playing for sunderland

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

quote:

Barcelona sporting manager Pep Segura has said the club are "close" to signing Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho and Ousmane Dembele from Borussia Dortmund.

Speaking after Wednesday's 2-0 defeat to Real Madrid in the second leg of the Spanish Super Cup gave their arch rivals a 5-1 aggregate victory, Segura said Barcelona were discussing terms with the attacking duo.

"We are close to Coutinho and Dembele, we are discussing their conditions but we do not know when they will be sealed," Segura told Spanish television station TV3. "We hope they will be Barcelona players this season."

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I thought they'd agreed personal terms with both of them ages ago?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

tarbrush posted:

I thought they'd agreed personal terms with both of them ages ago?

it costs more to get them to sign with a club on a downswing

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Liverpool and Dortmund can put Barca over the table now.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I really think there might be some truth to that Rakitic rumour now

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

CyberPingu posted:

I really think there might be some truth to that Rakitic rumour now

I'd like it to be true, but that sort of thing almost never is.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Barca love stupid swap deals

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
so does ched evans

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
costa is refusing to go back to london

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Jose posted:

costa is refusing to go back to london

Dont blame him tbh, London is a poo poo heap

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed
YOU'RE A poo poo HEAP

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Rude

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Does Atletico really want Costa back? He's entering the stage of his career where he'll turn into a fat Brazilian

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Does Atletico really want Costa back? He's entering the stage of his career where he'll turn into a fat Brazilian

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what he's doing right now tbf.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
Anything better than coutinho +100m for rakitic is a good deal for liverpool

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/AdamJosephSport/status/898148940620603392
Lol he transferred there in January

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Here's a question for you lads. Why are football contracts so iron clad like?

Why can't someone like Costa, who's clearly unhappy at his current place of work, hand in his notice, so to speak and leave? You can do that in most other places of work. In football though, if you're unhappy at a club you have to hope you get sold or tough poo poo

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Dortmund have said that this is all bollocks and that there's been no contact with Barca in 9 days (when they submitted their initial offer)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'd take Draxler at Liverpool.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Why can't someone like Costa, who's clearly unhappy at his current place of work, hand in his notice, so to speak and leave? You can do that in most other places of work. In football though, if you're unhappy at a club you have to hope you get sold or tough poo poo

The club owns the player's registration rights for the length of their contract, which means the player may be fully entitled to hand in their notice and leave, but they won't be able to play for another club until their contract expires and their current club no longer owns those rights (or until another club pays them for the registration). So I guess Costa could quit his job and go work for Tesco or something, but he wouldn't be allowed to play professional football anywhere else until his Chelsea contract expired. If he did, the club he played for would be liable to enormous penalties up to and including retroactively forfeiting every game Costa played in and more. Until the Bosman ruling the club owned registration rights forever and could prevent a player from playing for another club even after their contract expired. It's entirely possible that another court case sometime in the future will rule that even the current system is too restrictive on players-as-employees and that they should have more control over their registration rights, and that would absolutely break the transfer market as we know it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Sign him up, Arsene.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

sporting contracts generally stipulate you can't play for another pro club while the contract is in force.

the way they're constructed like that is to give both sides a degree of predictability. when you sign a long term deal, both sides are conceding some economic freedoms in exchange for financial certainty. counterpoint to a team unwilling to sell a player who wants to leave: if a player falls off hard or gets hurt, his team still has to pay him.

that being said if you want to be shocked and horrified take a look at labor relations and contract policy in the NFL.

how good is draxler these days? I remember him doing well in the UCL last year but haven't seen much of him otherwise

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ZIatanFacts/status/898164641813196800

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
http://www.sport.es/es/noticias/barca/messi-todavia-no-firmado-renovacion-6228452

Messi apparently hasn't signed his contract renewal yet. Runs out at the end of the season lol

Thought he did in July?

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
How well did Draxler do in France? How much would he go for, €50-€60m?
Sixth months is a pretty short time to be moved on.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Someone told me a story a while ago that when Paul Gascoigne was introduced to the fans at a club he just signed for (I'm pretty sure it was Lazio) he deliberately messed up his kick ups in front of the cameras just for a laugh. Not sure if its true, but its Paul Gascoigne so its probably true.

saihttam
Apr 15, 2006
Enter sadman

Thats me

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

there would be zero incentive for youth player development at any level of the game if players could just quit for another club without compensation

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
city picked up some nigerian striker kid https://twitter.com/FKAustriaWien/status/898116555891802113

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I see a loan in Larry's future, probably to Spain because he can't get a UK work permit.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
wiki says he was immediately loaned to Girona, which seems about right

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Vegetable posted:

That's the worst reffing decision I've ever seen

qsvui posted:

lol what was the card even for?

Faking a seizure? I dunno. I'd book him for that. Or for charging down poor defenseless Evans and assaulting his studs.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Just because I'm enjoying Barca's continual incompetence:

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/898193882684510209

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/898191313904046082

Oh okay then

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

vyelkin posted:

Until the Bosman ruling the club owned registration rights forever and could prevent a player from playing for another club even after their contract expired.

The reverse is also true - they could force players to go to other clubs without their consent before the contract expired. One of my old neighbors at home played in Serie A in the 60's and 70's and he said it was absolutely brutal. They'd tell you to pack up your poo poo and report to the next team the day before the season started if you were unlucky.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Gigi Galli posted:

The reverse is also true - they could force players to go to other clubs without their consent before the contract expired. One of my old neighbors at home played in Serie A in the 60's and 70's and he said it was absolutely brutal. They'd tell you to pack up your poo poo and report to the next team the day before the season started if you were unlucky.

So its kinda like how players get drafted in american sports now?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

MrBling posted:

So its kinda like how players get drafted in american sports now?

or traded, yeah.

congratulations you now play for the edmonton oilers, I hope you like heartbreak and 9 months of winter

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Weaponized Cum posted:

first brexit, then trump, then this transfer window

first Bowie, then Prince, now football

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Aliko Dangote is gonna buy Arsenal and fire Wenger?

• Locked thread