Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
ny weather has been pretty reasonable this summer but i shouldn't say that while we're only half way through august

there was a fairly lovely wet heatwave for a week in late july but that was about it

eh honestly though nyc isn't that bad. it's ugly-ish at least by european standards, garbage everywhere, and the weather is kinda crap but if you can deal with those things it's actually quite a decent place to live

unless you have a family in which case lmao get hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

dry heat eventually turns into "oh god i need to get away from the oven" somewhere around 110ish

still better than "why no, the torrents of sweat aren't going to stop, why do you ask?"

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Sapozhnik posted:

post em

not being snarky or anything, i'll check them out when the time comes.

please filter out the ones where the three tall buildings downtown are insurance companies.

MSP is great in addition to places other people have mentioned

just from looking for jobs without a location filter I've noticed that just about any sizeable city has them and you can find ones that pay well for the area (just like SF)

you won't have the opportunity to wipe your rear end with AAPL or whichever stock class Google gives the little people but you can still live really well

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I've been to Minneapolis

seems nice enough, though I found myself downtown during the weekend and it was just some straight up Chernobyl poo poo

not a single other person anywhere in sight

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

lol you think that's bad you should see st paul

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
Shameful plug for Seattle instead of SV and NY as a good tech hub city

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Janitor Prime posted:

Shameful plug for Seattle instead of SV and NY as a good tech hub city

Agreed, Seattle is cool and good.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Seattle does everything better than the bay area

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Seattle is fun but it's already very expensive now andrapidly becoming worse. You can thank the big 4 for that.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

ADINSX posted:

Seattle does everything better than the bay area

like actually building new poo poo, too bad it's all gotten so expensive :(

need another housing crash before I buy

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Janitor Prime posted:

need another housing crash before I buy

This. And I'm in loving Milwaukee where it's already cheap as gently caress (relative to proper cities).

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

lol this thread, every time

yosposter: "gently caress yeah just got an awesome job with mad figgies :woop:"
landlord: "yeaaaahhh that's a real cool pay package, congrats! i'm just going to go ahead and confiscate that..."

:capitalism:

lol if you cant work remotely from where ever you want and live like a pauper and stack your figgies

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MononcQc posted:

it is the best.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im stuck in the godawful dc area for personal/family reasons at the moment but i can live anywhere with my current gig which owns bones

thinkin' of quitting and traveling (again :newlol:) next year tho

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

I've been to Minneapolis

seems nice enough, though I found myself downtown during the weekend and it was just some straight up Chernobyl poo poo

that's every large non-northeastern american city, as they all developed post 1950s white flight to the suburbs and have no culture/purpose besides holding office space and parking lots/garages

downtown dallas is super lol, which is why they filmed robocop there

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
all you 100% remote-work people better be real confident you aren't about to get outsourced to Bulgaria or whatever because there's a lot of really talented and extremely cheap labor out in that neck of the woods

and personally i don't think i could handle working 100% remote without contemplating death because i'm a reclusive enough shut-in as it is :smith:

but that's just me

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

all you 100% remote-work people better be real confident you aren't about to get outsourced to Bulgaria or whatever because there's a lot of really talented and extremely cheap labor out in that neck of the woods

and personally i don't think i could handle working 100% remote without contemplating death because i'm a reclusive enough shut-in as it is :smith:

but that's just me

i agree 100%

im 30ish miles away from the nearest office which i pop my head into usually once a week, but sometimes i go weeks at a time without showing up for whatever reason. constantly working from home gets mentally hosed up

definitely not deluded enough into thinking im not replaceable because everyone else, but they keep throwing figgies at me so i guess im doing something right

also im not a software developer thank god

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I'll take some stupidly high temperature over a Florida summer any goddamned day.

its not that bad, as long as you dont do something stupid like live more than about 3 miles from the ocean. the difference between living here and somewhere like nc is that there is at least a breeze coming in from the gulf so the air doesnt just hang on you. winters are amazing here.

dont get me wrong though, im moving back to the mountains and/or just buying a place there as soon as i get an opportunity

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Milwaukee is good, people never believe me and then they visit and go "huh, it's actually good". It's not that expensive to live in and it's got a lot of cool poo poo. You just have to deal with the rest of WI that isn't Madison or Green Bay (only for the Packers) existing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ThePeavstenator posted:

Milwaukee is good, people never believe me and then they visit and go "huh, it's actually good". It's not that expensive to live in and it's got a lot of cool poo poo. You just have to deal with the rest of WI that isn't Madison or Green Bay (only for the Packers) existing.

Green Bay is literally an on/off ramp, a lovely UW campus (somehow even worse than UWM :laffo:) and Lambeau.

That and a CVS full of people with a methamphetamine abuse disorder.

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.

Arcsech posted:

actually what i really want to do is get a remote job and live wherever the gently caress i want

I want to do this as well but I don't have anyone in my Network that does it and everything I read about it involves running an online store, ad revenue, and or coding. Maybe if I sell enough dish Network I can save up to buy an active online store.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

or that your ceo doesn't get a bug up their rear end about ~agile collaboration~ and recall all the remote workers

we lost some very good developers because of that little stunt

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

ThePeavstenator posted:

milwaukee, like madison, really seems like it'd get boring after a while

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

Oh no no, I am the outsourced work. You see, your boss can pay me maybe 30% less than a bay area employee (and even a bunch less since the Canadian dollar is low), and I'll have more than twice as much money left as the bay area employees anyway, and will likely end up in the top 5% salaries of my area. I'll also work reasonably close to your boss's timezone or even the same one, speak the same language, and will be ready to travel on prem from time to time for cheaper than other outsourced work.

The remote employee who lives out of major urban centers but within the country or continent is the premium outsourcing level. The Bulgarian employee is a few steps further.

But more seriously, it's a cultural thing. Back at Heroku, over 50% of the engineering department was remote. Despite having the most expensive offices with all the perks, employee satisfaction was invariably greater for remote employees than on-prem one, albeit by reasonably small fraction. If you're the lone remote employee you're in for a real challenge, but if you're on a full team dedicated to it, it's not that different from OSS work in terms of dynamics. My current workplace is really all local. Like nobody (95% of employees) uses e-mail or chat except to tell people about headlights left on in the parking lot and it's a hell of a bigger challenge.

Sapozhnik posted:

but that's just me

Yeah that's the big killer. You have to be a) okay with being lonely / having a healthy social network outside of work b) be good at self-discipline because you can't gently caress off and play videogames all day, and c) be good enough at self-discipline to enforce a good schedule and healthy life habits that won't lead to work and personal life melding together.

They're mostly all tied together, but there's nothing worse for the remote worker than to work in underwear around the clock and forget their own life. Contrary to a lot of beliefs, remote workers tend to be working longer and unhealthier hours than local employees. It helps to keep a strict schedule, dress to work, etc.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

minivanmegafun posted:

milwaukee, like madison, really seems like it'd get boring after a while

i love Milwaukee and will move back when i retire or find 100% remote work. it's definitely a slower pace than somewhere like NY or sf though so it's not for everybody. if, however, you like sitting by a lake drinking beer or coffee and going to museums and concerts and baseball then Milwaukee is great.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Schadenboner posted:

Green Bay is literally an on/off ramp, a lovely UW campus (somehow even worse than UWM :laffo:) and Lambeau.

That and a CVS full of people with a methamphetamine abuse disorder.

i mean we gotta put the packers somewhere

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

MononcQc posted:

It helps to keep a strict schedule, dress to work, etc.
When I was working remotely I found it rather helpful to have an entirely separate bedroom turned office that was for work work. Get a work computer, put it in the office. Or if you only have one computer, phyically move it out of the office when it's goof off time (or move yourself to a second display, if it's not a laptop).

I also had mildly uncomfortable posture-correcting shirts I would wear as my office-work clothes, and took them off when I decided I was done working for the day. The experience felt similar to taking off uncomfortable shoes or a suit jacket.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i enjoy interacting with other people in person at the office, so as long as i have an easy commute and i'm not stuck in some open-plan shithole i'm actually p. good with going to work most days

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i enjoy interacting with other people in person at the office, so as long as i have an easy commute and i'm not stuck in some open-plan shithole i'm actually p. good with going to work most days

i'm the same, i like speaking to real people in a real setting. plus i don't like working alone in the place that i come home to relax in.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i recognize that i have zero discipline and so although i have to option to work from home some days i usually don't

also going to work is the only reason i would ever leave my house

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

carry on then posted:

or that your ceo doesn't get a bug up their rear end about ~agile collaboration~ and recall all the remote workers

we lost some very good developers because of that little stunt

how was working for yahoo

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Everytime I ever worked in an office me and my cowkrkers chatted on aim or irc 80% of the time anyway (predates slack and hipchat). Going remote was pretty uneventful except the office coffee got wayyyyy better

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FamDav posted:

how was working for yahoo

lol im not part of that mess luckily

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

My current job lets me work from home and I've exercised the option on occasion but there's no way I'm taking a fully remote job right now because there's like a 30% chance that I spend half my time jerking off thanks to Ritalin.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_DNpTMKXk

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Sapozhnik posted:

I've been to Minneapolis

downtown minneapolis is not where you go for nightlife aside from first avenue (or realistically, 7th st entry--gently caress the mainroom) or gay 90s i guess. it's mostly office buildings.

all the fun stuff is in cedar-riverside, uptown, or breweries (which tend to be in more old industrial areas).

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Figgggies!

Decided to make a career switch to Web Dev after returning home from Peace Corps and realizing I picked the wrong city for my previous experience. Two and a half years of on and off job searching, a low paying temp job, laid off from a contract position, another contract that didn't have a future, and now I'm making 360% what I made at my temp job. Feels good.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

My current job lets me work from home and I've exercised the option on occasion but there's no way I'm taking a fully remote job right now because there's like a 30% chance that I spend half my time jerking off thanks to Ritalin.

lol if you don't get paid to jack off

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

lol if you don't get paid to jack off
this, but mine is generally in the form of vulnerability assessment reports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns