Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Kalli posted:

https://twitter.com/katienolan/status/896935225133076481

Well I mean, we knew it, but I wasn't sure if we knew, knew it.

Goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Hunterhr posted:

Goddamnit.

She was being sarcastic.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Upon investigation, I found out the UMass football team will show their games nationally on the Eleven Sports Network (locally on NESN). It is now the highest-profile sports property they have the rights to as it joins darts, ultimate Frisbee, and (I wish I was making this up) Quiddich.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/rjasonscales/status/897243556041170944

So like did no body speak up and say this was a bad idea lol

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Haha, holy poo poo. Nice timing ESPN.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Kibner posted:

She was being sarcastic.

maybe hes a nazi and is mad that she doesnt like nazis

its pretty common for internet people to be nazis now

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

Kibner posted:

She was being sarcastic.

I too was being sarcastic. Whoops. :shobon:

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/rjasonscales/status/897243556041170944

So like did no body speak up and say this was a bad idea lol

lol I just saw this :yikes:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN is doing a megacast like they've done for the college football championship in the regular season this year and hoooo boy is it a marquee matchup they picked for it

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
It'll be worth it when Indiana upsets them.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Week 1 is probably pretty close to the peak of interest outside the playoff, and OSU is the biggest ratings draw, so I kinda get it. But you have to put an awful lot on some storyline about Wilson going back to IU for that game to seem even remotely interesting.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Why the gently caress you wouldn't do that for Michigan/Florida or FSU/Bama instead is completely beyond me

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Why the gently caress you wouldn't do that for Michigan/Florida or FSU/Bama instead is completely beyond me

Because those are on Saturday and therefore there are other games on to fill programming space around the family

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/897646840870514689

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/ColeyMick/status/897652437259104259

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Why are they playing it at IU's home stadium and not Lucas Oil?

Hell in 2000, IU played Penn State at the Hoosierdome. (of course that was overshadowed by thrillers in South Bend and Lafayette). This just feels like a garbage game to do this with.

IU hasn't been a relevant football program since Trent Green was slinging passes for them.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Isn't Indy the host of the big ten championship?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Why are they playing it at IU's home stadium and not Lucas Oil?

You wouldn't come remotely close to filling it. Absolutely nobody gives a poo poo about IU football and OSU fans aren't going to travel that well for a Thursday night game.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Has ESPN said anything about that auction sketch or are they just ignoring the reaction?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Has ESPN said anything about that auction sketch or are they just ignoring the reaction?

they half-assed an apology

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

DJExile posted:

You wouldn't come remotely close to filling it. Absolutely nobody gives a poo poo about IU football and OSU fans aren't going to travel that well for a Thursday night game.

Especially a Thursday night game at a stadium most of them have been to a few times already and expect to return to this year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah that too. By all rights OSU is going to run away with the B1G East this year.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

Yeah that too. By all rights OSU is going to run away with the B1G East this year.

They were supposed to do that last year too and then Penn State happened, soooooo.......

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

They were supposed to do that last year too and then Penn State happened, soooooo.......

I mean they tied and the loss to Penn State was really flukey. I also don't think they were expected to run away with it, they lost a ton the year before and were super young, and Michigan had a loaded defense coming back

DJExile posted:

Also IU is not giving up what is by far their biggest home game

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I think it makes sense to test this model on smaller matchups to see if it brings in new viewers. At least, I had absolutely zero interest in watching OSU/IU before the announcement, and now I'm interested in tuning in for the all-22 and Skycam views.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah i get testing it out to a degree but i can't imagine it's cheap at all to do. Now you're doing 3 times the production, if not more.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

Yeah i get testing it out to a degree but i can't imagine it's cheap at all to do. Now you're doing 3 times the production, if not more.

True, though I could see it being worth the money if they figure out which production gimmicks have the greatest impact for otherwise forgettable games, especially as they gear up to have their own OTT service.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

I mean they tied and the loss to Penn State was really flukey. I also don't think they were expected to run away with it, they lost a ton the year before and were super young, and Michigan had a loaded defense coming back

Also IU is not giving up what is by far their biggest home game

I was just saying for historical precedent they've done that before. (2000 against Penn State)

Same with Purdue and Notre Dame back in the day for a game or two. (84 to open the Hoosierdome)

Anyways, yeah IU football is historically irrelevant in the state. The joke amongst Purdue fans is that there's a lot of people that cheer for Notre Dame in Football and IU in Basketball kinda for that reason. Their rival has had success with various pro players and mid-level bowl games Notre Dame is of course Notre Dame.

DJExile posted:

Yeah doing -that- game on a Thursday night is remarkably stupid. I'm seeing the Big Ten is experimenting with Friday games as well this year. Which is again, stupid. A lot of the locals in Ohio, Michigan...what ever all go to their local high school games that night.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Yeah doing -that- game on a Thursday night is remarkably stupid. I'm seeing the Big Ten is experimenting with Friday games as well this year. Which is again, stupid. A lot of the locals in Ohio, Michigan...what ever all go to their local high school games that night.

I will always love that even goddamn Northwestern told the B1G they wouldn't do that.

Unrelated, CBS Radio did not win the bid for radio rights to the Las Vegas Golden Knights, and as such are are banning any and all discussion of the team in their entirety

There are sour grapes and then there's this.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My guess would be they are trying to figure out which features most interest people so they can integrate those into that OTT service they're creating as added value.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DJExile posted:

I will always love that even goddamn Northwestern told the B1G they wouldn't do that.

you really get to throw your weight around as a Pin Stripe Bowl Champion and NCAA Tournament Participant

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The really easy answer as to why they're doing the mega cast for OSU-IU and not a better matchup is that the mega cast ties up every single channel in their network. It makes sense to do it on a Thursday night when you have nothing else to air anyways than on the first Saturday of the season when you're probably airing 4 or 5 games simultaneously.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Something I didn't know but I could see coming down the pike?

OSU-UM this year will be on FOX. This is the first time since 1986 that the game has not been on ABC/ESPN. The only time that game has never been on ABC/ESPN was from 1982 to 1986 when CBS had Big Ten rights.

I had a feeling the Big Ten was going to eventually take their ball and go home after how ESPN treated them during the mid-2000's with the tv rights for the conference. The Big Ten Network has actually been a success.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BTN gives us hockey broadcasts, which is awesome.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
It also gave us a crap 6 team conference that gets a loving autobid and a platform for a cultist school to wear 429 on their helmets

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

iospace posted:

BTN gives us hockey broadcasts, which is awesome.
The Big Ten hosed up college hockey, which is unforgivable.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

My lone annoyance with the Big Ten is how they kinda went East with expansion since 1992 or so.

Penn State, Rutgers and Maryland are such awkward fits in the conference. I really wish they had been able to get Notre Dame instead, along with some of the Big 8 schools (Sans OU/OSU). Playing Kansas makes more sense from a culture fit than playing Rutgers.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Turner has announced more information on how they will cover the Champions League next year.

http://www.turner.com/pressroom/tur...a-europa-league

- TruTV will air 4 matches for each matchday during the group stage and 2 matches for each knockout rounds while the rest of the matches will be on Turner's new OTT subscription platform.
- TNT/TBS will air the semi-final and finals.
- Europa League will be on the OTT platform with the final on TNT/TBS
- UEFA Super Cup will be on TNT/TBS

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crazy Ted posted:

The Big Ten hosed up college hockey, which is unforgivable.

Also true :smith:

Rip UW vs NoDak every year.

FuzzySkinner posted:

My lone annoyance with the Big Ten is how they kinda went East with expansion since 1992 or so.

Penn State, Rutgers and Maryland are such awkward fits in the conference. I really wish they had been able to get Notre Dame instead, along with some of the Big 8 schools (Sans OU/OSU). Playing Kansas makes more sense from a culture fit than playing Rutgers.

My mom HATES that Penn State got added. She's cool with Nebraska, because ok, sure, it's a bit of a stretch to call it "Midwest" but it's close enough that no one notices. She despises the fact that Maryland and Rutgers got added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I hope the Champions League streaming stuff is free with a cable subscription unlike that NBC gold bullshit