Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Tainen posted:

The LGS I draft at is 12.50 entry and a pack or $3 credit per win. If you go 3-0 you get a free draft entry in addition.

You're at a golden location.

Here it's $15, play cross pod.

3-0 = 5 packs
2-0-1 = 3 packs
2-1 = 1 pack

No option for store credit. Since the difference between 3-0 and 2-1 is so stark there's a lot of incentive to draw at the top tables, so you only get 2 rounds of play. Plus since you're likely to be playing someone from another pod you can't trust that they didn't do something stupid like only 1 green drafter at a table of 8.

And some people will still hate draft on their picks 5+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Nighthand posted:

I've been thinking about proxying up a powered cube for kitchen table sealed, can anyone recommend a cube?

My buddy found a printer to make him proxies. He printed every legacy teir 1 and 2 deck from the day before the miracles ban.

The way we play it is dice roll, highest goes first and chooses their deck to be on the play. The lower guy picks the deck he wants to pilot and is on the draw.

Probably the best 400 bucks he ever spent.

All legacy all the time.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
My store is 12.50 and a pack per win or 4 dollar store credit, and if you won the free Standard earlier and you 3-0 the draft you get 4 packs or 16$ store credit.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Tainen posted:

The LGS I draft at is 12.50 entry and a pack or $3 credit per win. If you go 3-0 you get a free draft entry in addition.

How is that possibly sustainable?

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
I might have run into a bug on MTGO where you can very easily clone cards in your draft pool.

I was dragging a River Hoopoe from my main deck into my sideboard as the draft ended, and now in deck construction, it shows that I have two River Hoopoes. It's also showing that I have 46 cards total between my deck and my sideboard. On the one hand, I want to see if I can actually submit a deck with both, but on the other hand, I wonder if I'd get banned.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Carl Killer Miller posted:

They take in $100 and give out 39 packs which is like $78. Credit is even better for them I'm sure. Your $3 credit is going towards something they probably spent $1.50-1.80 on.

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

I might have run into a bug on MTGO where you can very easily clone cards in your draft pool.

I'm shocked.

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

I was dragging a River Hoopoe from my main deck into my sideboard as the draft ended, and now in deck construction, it shows that I have two River Hoopoes. It's also showing that I have 46 cards total between my deck and my sideboard. On the one hand, I want to see if I can actually submit a deck with both, but on the other hand, I wonder if I'd get banned.

I don't think it will let you submit but I vote you try it. They won't ban you and if it works you can probably file for reimbursement. Alternatively, reboot MTGO and it'll fix itself.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Aug 17, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Oops

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I don't think it will let you submit but I vote you try it. They won't ban you and if it works you can probably file for reimbursement. Alternatively, reboot MTGO and it'll fix itself.

Yeah, I kept getting illegal deck messages when I tried to submit. Rebooting cleared out the clone Hoopoe. I guess it was just a temporary thing.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

BJPaskoff posted:

*FNMs do require stores to run specific formats in order to be eligible for FNM promos, but that's just so Wizards can guarantee some kind of attendance numbers.

That hasn't been the case since January 2015. Stores can run literally anything that uses magic cards as a "format" for FNM if they enter it as "Friday Night Magic—Casual" instead of Ranked. Pauper Kamigawa Block Tiny Leaders is a legal FNM format. "Standard but the owner wants to play his Copy-Cat deck" is a legal FNM format.

The shop I play (pauper) at runs free, prize supported, FNM. Thank you boardgamers for buying so many boardgames at retail.

Prize support is all over the place there:

The Pauper event will be a 4 round (3 if 8 or few players) Swiss tournament. Prizes will be based on record after the Swiss rounds:
4 Rounds:
4-0: 3 Packs (4 Packs if you played the previous week)
3-0-1/3-1: 2 Packs (3 Packs if you played the previous week)
2-1-1/2-2: 1 Pack (2 Packs if you played the previous week)
All other: 1 Pack

3 Rounds:
3-0: 3 Packs (4 Packs if you played the previous week)
2-1/2-0-1: 2 Packs
1-1-1: 1 Pack (2 Packs if you played the previous week)
All Other: 1 Pack

FNM Standard: Entry fee: NONE!!!
Free Prizes:
4-0 will get 5 packs.
3-0-1 get 4 packs.
3-1 get 3 packs.
2-1-1 get 1 Pack

$15 draft
3-0 gets 6 packs.
2-0-1 get 4 packs.
2-1 get 2 packs.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

i recall there being instances where, bc of how players word things, this is totally allowed for some reason

something like the players have to carefully word things and also do the pack trading outside or something, it's really dumb and I can't remember the exact words i read about it, i think it was a CFB article?
It's not too complicated. You can talk about intentionally drawing, you can talk about conceding. You can talk about sharing prizes, or for instance, offer to swap an invite for money should you win. You can never, ever, combine the two. Everyone will know that when you say "split the prize?" that means you're going to turn in the match slip that gets the two of you the most prize to share, but you have to decide the outcome of a game of magic by playing magic, not bargaining, not coin flip, nothing. So doing the "I'll share with you if you drop" is bribing the opponent to quit. Not cool. Just don't mix discussion of changing the match results by conceding with prize splitting and assuming you aren't super shady for some reason, you'll be fine.

Babylon Astronaut fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Aug 17, 2017

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

MisterOblivious posted:

Pauper Kamigawa Block Tiny Leaders is a legal FNM format.

Hard to build a legal deck for that one, what with the lack of common legends.

If you make it Peasant Kamigawa Block Tiny Leaders, then you get a tournament where everyone is required to run Brothers Yamazaki as their commander. While both players have their commander in play, they buff each other.

Lottery of Babylon fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 17, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
That might end up the only format where the sweep ability is relevant.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Lottery of Babylon posted:

If you make it Peasant Kamigawa Block Tiny Leaders, then you get a tournament where everyone is required to run Brothers Yamazaki as their commander. While both players have their commander in play, they buff each other.

You use rares for your commander. http://magiccards.info/query?q=e%3Asok%2Cbok%2Cchk+cmc%3C%3D3+t%3Alegendary+t%3Acreature&s=cname&v=card&p=1

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

MisterOblivious posted:

You use rares for your commander.

Peasant Kamigawa Block

Post/name combo checks out.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

High points included using Imprison In the Moon on one guys only G/B land (he kept a greedy start on the draw), using Invigorating Rampage

Everyone forgot this deck existed.

Holy poo poo you're going deep on that list.

I've been playing r/u emerge since Emrakul got banned and the only changes I've made have been adding abrade and champion of wits and reduce//rubble. I'm 9-1 over the last week because I still think the deck is aces.

Only loss has been to u/w gifts. Which was a real squeaker (and will also probably be the deck that I will build after rotation)

On the upside you just destroy ramunap red and u/r control and g/b scales

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

On the upside you just destroy ramunap red and u/r control and g/b scales

I got destroyed so hard playing UR control playing against emerge that I'm switching to UW Approach. Can't beat em, just win the game instead.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Hey, what kind of token does Hunted Dragon make?

The best kind. The Banding kind.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

There's nagao, a couple snakes, the flip legends with ki counters, the flip flying guy

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BJPaskoff posted:

So AlternateNu's post makes it sound like Wizards supplies the prizes for LGS's average tournaments, but they actually have nothing to do with it. What your LGS charges for entry, what format they run*, and how much they give away is totally up to them. The only things Wizards has cut back on are FNM promos, which used to be foil cards but will soon be foil tokens, and that there are no Masterpieces in the Standard Showdown packs anymore, which are both valid complaints, but I don't want anyone to get the impression that Wizards controls entry fees/prizes for weekly tournaments.

*FNMs do require stores to run specific formats in order to be eligible for FNM promos, but that's just so Wizards can guarantee some kind of attendance numbers.

I'm referring specifically to FNM promos and prerelease/game day prize support.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chill la Chill posted:

Will do. Also:

(left most is not important at all)

I think that means some art of war poo poo where you appear open to an alpha strike only to slam down a magmaquake, not having to read the verbatim text of 603.3b to explain why you're winning now.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Mezzanon posted:

Holy poo poo you're going deep on that list.

Those were both sideboard cards (Insult is a fun-of maindeck) Sideboard is currently 4 negate, 3 imprison, 3 by force, 2 invigorated, 2 summary dismissal, and 1 wretched gryff.

Really didn't feel like buying abrade for some reason :v:

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

What are the prizes like at your LGS? Ours gives packs for undefeated and x-1 players, nothing for anyone else ( so every x-2 drops)what sounds like a p. standard $15 buy-in for draft, $5 for tournaments.

I've heard of places, not local, that give a pack per match win and with robust prize support. Old stories, or just rare to find?

I play at Cool Stuff here in Orlando, and they fire off both Standard and Draft FNMs every week. Standard is $5 entry, Draft is $13. Prize support for each event is 2 packs/player, distributed to either the top 8 or top 4 players, depending on how many people show up that week. (I think the cutoff is at 12 players). You can substitute prize packs for $2.50/ea store credit. Draft play is cross pod, with a cut to optional top-8 single elim for weighted prizes.

Average week is around 15-20 drafters, either 4 or 5 rounds of play, and usually everyone agrees to split at top-8, so everyone in top-8 walks out with 4-5 packs or $10-13 in credit. Top-4 get the promo. Bigger turnout = bigger prizes. Months where the promo is actually worth playing for, we play out the first round of the top-8 and then split.

I never play standard, but they usually have similar numbers of players and the same prize structure.

There's also Friday night Yugioh at the same time, with similar numbers of players.

Oh, also you get a free slice of pizza and a soda for playing.

Basically Cool Stuff is awesome, and I'm glad I get to play there. The only store I've ever heard of that's better is Mox Boarding House.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
My LGS does $5 constructed, $13 drafts. Drafts are just 8 man pods, single elim, $30 credit winner, $10 credit second place (so usually $20 split). We have a lot of limited players so we fire off multiple draft pods when there's demand.

4 round constructed events (most Tuesday and Thursday modern and Wednesday standard) are Swiss, credit payout based on record (top 8 Wednesday get scg tokens in addition), 3-0 $30, 3-0-1 $22.50, 3-1 $15, 2-1-1 (not official but the 2-1 players often split, match slip marked as a concession to whoever actually cares about the points) $7.50.

Friday Modern and Standard are usually five rounds (four if a small turnout) and I don't recall the payscale on that one, just that x-1-1 and better get credit.

Small disclaimer: card prices at the shop are SCG based (with a discount on standard product if you're not using store credit). On the other hand, this makes trading in magic cards for video or board games a bit of a better deal.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Molybdenum posted:

There's nagao, a couple snakes, the flip legends with ki counters, the flip flying guy

All are CMC 4 (so not legal in Tiny Leaders) or are only legendary after they've been flipped (so not legal commanders, as they're nonlegendary in the command zone).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm moving about 15 minutes out into the Chicago burbs and realized a comic shop is right around the corner, but it focuses heavily on yugiyo and pokemon, with a dash of magic. Just my luck. Stores like these almost always suck.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShaneB posted:

I'm moving about 15 minutes out into the Chicago burbs and realized a comic shop is right around the corner, but it focuses heavily on yugiyo and pokemon, with a dash of magic. Just my luck. Stores like these almost always suck.

They sell what their customers buy. I am also cursed with living in DFW and the LGS 5 minutes away being loving awful and unplayable.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

They sell what their customers buy. I am also cursed with living in DFW and the LGS 5 minutes away being loving awful and unplayable.

Yeah I mean I don't hold it against them for making profits as they can, it's just disappointing.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Molybdenum posted:

Food fight is a fun draft game and has a simplified MTG game afterwards

I had a food fight themed card game as a kid called Kersplatt! (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2865/kersplatt)

There was a mechanic where if you dodge food thrown at you it can hit valuables in the restaurant at which point the thrower is restrained by waitstaff and can't act for a certain number of turns. It was pretty great.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Hellsau posted:

Hey, what kind of token does Hunted Dragon make?

The best kind. The Banding kind.

I was wondering what kind of bugs would pop up in this gauntlet! Do they actually have banding or is it just cosmetic?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Gerard Fabiano now does content for CFB.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Rinkles posted:

Gerard Fabiano now does content for CFB.

He is another turd on the poo poo pile. What an awful guy to play against. He is the type that makes you want to quit this dumb game.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

Those were both sideboard cards (Insult is a fun-of maindeck) Sideboard is currently 4 negate, 3 imprison, 3 by force, 2 invigorated, 2 summary dismissal, and 1 wretched gryff.

Really didn't feel like buying abrade for some reason :v:

I managed to open some Abrade's at pre-release so I'm just playing with those.

Insult//Injury is loving great. I run a singleton in the side.

My board is currently:

1x Insult//Injury
1x Dispel
3x Negate
3x Reduce//Rubble
2x Nahiri's Wrath
2x Wretched Gryff
3x Abrade

I should really change the Nahiri's Wrath's and Wretched Gryff's numbers but I've just been really lazy, I used to run a singleton Hazoret in the board but I moved it to Jund Gods (The deck I was going to play after rotation) but then Hour of Devastation started seeing heavy play so now that deck is dead.

I should also go up to 4x Champion of Wits in the main (From 3x) because that card is just loving gas.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Cool, didn't even get to finish one throwback league before it went to poo poo.

quote:

GAUNTLET SCHEDULE CHANGE

Unfortunately, issues related to Ravnica-Era Throwback Standard Gauntlet with Goryo’s Vengeance and Descendant of Kiyomaro are causing this gauntlet to be frustrating, rather than take a fun look back at an old Standard as we had planned.

This afternoon, we are going to cancel that league and return entries to active players in it. We will replace it with the Tribal Lorwyn-Era Throwback Standard Gauntlet league originally scheduled for next week. This new league will end with the August 23 downtime.

We will have an announcement soon about how this affects other events upcoming in the Magic Online schedule.

Once the issues affecting the Ravnica-era gauntlet are resolved, we plan to run the it at a future time. It is a very fun era of Standard and we want players to have the experienced we planned. The team is also looking into improvements the process in order to help prevent these kind of issues from occurring in the future.

Thanks for your patience and understanding. We hope you enjoy the Tribal Lorwyn-Era Throwback Standard Gauntlet!

- Lee

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

I just wish this happened yesterday when they posted on Twitter about jokes.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

At least they put up the next one to replace it, which looks like a pretty sweet set of decks (although that was about the time I really got back into the game, so I might be biased by that). If it works right, anyway.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

At least they put up the next one to replace it, which looks like a pretty sweet set of decks (although that was about the time I really got back into the game, so I might be biased by that). If it works right, anyway.

Nah that Standard was super sweet also, but unfortunately Faeries is going to ruin that queue.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Why are there zero Wrath of Gods or Damnations in this 5 color Teachings deck in the Lorwyn Gauntlet?

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-online/gauntlet-6-release-tribes-2017-08-15

Like what the gently caress? It's playing Archon of Justice and forgoing any sort of wrath?

e: holy poo poo this teachings deck is awful

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 17, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

How do they keep loving this up? You know what cards are going to be in the gauntlet, spend a day and run through some games before you throw it up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

He is another turd on the poo poo pile. What an awful guy to play against. He is the type that makes you want to quit this dumb game.

I honestly thought he got a job with Wizards. I haven't seen him on any coverage in almost a year. Did he just poo poo the bed as a "pro" player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

AlternateNu posted:

I honestly thought he got a job with Wizards. I haven't seen him on any coverage in almost a year. Did he just poo poo the bed as a "pro" player?

He was banned for a number of months, I believe