Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Ugly In The Morning posted:

He was a fantastic Bond, but the majority of the movies he was in were so bad no one will remember him as one of the best. It's too bad, even in the lovely ones he was really good

Goldeneye was fantastic. Tomorrow Never Dies I'll give a pass to because it was their attempt at reconciling the old formula with a new techno-based world and it worked for the most part. The World Is Not Enough needed at least one more screenplay draft since its focus is a little clunky (to say nothing about Christmas Jones).

Die Another Day was just stupid. Even Michael Madsen's character's name attempt at a cool guy name "Damian Falco" was awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

EmmyOk posted:

Aidan Gillen and Michael Fassbender fall into the "Great actors who cannot hide their accents or do any others". Michael Fassbender's final monologue in X-Men First Class is gas because the big kerry head on him can't help over doing it.

Yeah the final act of First Class he's all over the shop. BUT, he's spot on in Shame, 12 years a slave, Frank, Inglorious Basterds. He can do it when he wants to, which just makes it more irritating

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Was in the breakroom today and something called CSI: Cyber come on.

Short version: :chloe:

Long version: Driverless car hacked into killing someone by very slowly driving head-on into their car despite the victim wearing a seatbelt, hologram reconstructions of poo poo they couldn't have possibly known, the guy from Cheers roleplaying as a dessicated corpse.

I would like to nominate the entire thing as a most irritating moment.

The only irrational part was the plot.

Oh God, CSI: Cyber was a regular event for my household for a while, until it got too stupid to even watch for a laugh.

Other episodes:

-- Somebody hacked this rollercoaster and shut off the brakes along with all the safety checkpoints! (Represented by a 3d model of the coaster with little green dots on it turning red one by one!)
-- Somebody's hacking baby monitors to kidnap kids!
-- Somebody got killed by a Not-Uber driver, and it turns out their business isn't set up very well! ("Calling a stranger to pick you up? I'll stick with taxis, thanks.")
-- Somebody's hacking printers to make them start fires!

Also the opening monologue of each episode where Patricia Arquette's character says "I used to post on social media and use online banking, JUST LIKE YOU, but then someone hacked me and murdered one of my patients with the info! This is a new kind of crime, and IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU."

It's basically CSI: Technology Is Scary.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Parasol Prophet posted:

Oh God, CSI: Cyber was a regular event for my household for a while, until it got too stupid to even watch for a laugh.

Other episodes:

-- Somebody hacked this rollercoaster and shut off the brakes along with all the safety checkpoints! (Represented by a 3d model of the coaster with little green dots on it turning red one by one!)
-- Somebody's hacking baby monitors to kidnap kids!
-- Somebody got killed by a Not-Uber driver, and it turns out their business isn't set up very well! ("Calling a stranger to pick you up? I'll stick with taxis, thanks.")
-- Somebody's hacking printers to make them start fires!

Also the opening monologue of each episode where Patricia Arquette's character says "I used to post on social media and use online banking, JUST LIKE YOU, but then someone hacked me and murdered one of my patients with the info! This is a new kind of crime, and IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU."

It's basically CSI: Technology Is Scary.

Wasn't there one where someone was using Xbox Live to arrange murders and drug drops or something like that? That show was loving hilarious.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also it came out right after Patricia Arquette won an Oscar. I believe Emmitt Smith was a guest star.

I really need to get back into it. The first two episodes were hilarious but there's too much good tv to justify watching really bad tv. Also why I stopped watching Zoo.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Parasol Prophet posted:

:thunk:

At least with Uber if you get murdered there's some sort of paper trail.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also it came out right after Patricia Arquette won an Oscar. I believe Emmitt Smith was a guest star.

I really need to get back into it. The first two episodes were hilarious but there's too much good tv to justify watching really bad tv. Also why I stopped watching Zoo.

They only ran it for two seasons so you've not got much to catch up on. At least it got Fat Neil from Community a paycheck for a while.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

They only ran it for two seasons so you've not got much to catch up on. At least it got Fat Neil from Community a paycheck for a while.

Why's he got to be fat Neil? Couldn't the other Neil be "skinny Neil"?

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Connery is closest to book-Bond, and almost the only one who behaves like an actual spy at some points. Craig is just too much of a thug and a by-the-numbers 'wild card' to be that interesting. My irritating moments for him are always when he shoots up an embassy or breaks into his bosses' house for No Goddamn Reason and yet somehow he never gets punished for this. Bond is meant to be a good agent.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Parasol Prophet posted:

This one is true to life though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah the final act of First Class he's all over the shop. BUT, he's spot on in Shame, 12 years a slave, Frank, Inglorious Basterds. He can do it when he wants to, which just makes it more irritating

Kind of off topic but seriously if anyone hasn't seen Frank they should definitely check it out.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of off topic but seriously if anyone hasn't seen Frank they should definitely check it out.

Seconding this.

But since this is the irritating movie moments thread, I will add that I cannot stand Domhnall Gleeson's character in that movie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Frank is a real cool flick.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Baby Driver is a devil behind the wheel, best getaway car driver the old grizzled gangster has ever seen, etc etc etc.

Doesn't put his seatbelt on a single time until he gets into the boss' Mercedes. Not once in all of the getaway drives, even after changing cars.

Then at the end of the movie, after dispatching the dude who turned into the Big Bad, steals the piece-of-poo poo Chevy truck he used for it instead of the boss' Mercedes, of which there is no-one to report it missing so he probably would have gotten away

Still an excellent movie, and highly recommended.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

EmmyOk posted:

Aidan Gillen and Michael Fassbender fall into the "Great actors who cannot hide their accents or do any others". Michael Fassbender's final monologue in X-Men First Class is gas because the big kerry head on him can't help over doing it.

Add every American actor to this list.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

jabby posted:

Connery is closest to book-Bond
You spelt "Dalton" wrong.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Eh! Frank posted:

Seconding this.

But since this is the irritating movie moments thread, I will add that I cannot stand Domhnall Gleeson's character in that movie.

Well, that was kind of the point of the movie. His character was an rear end in a top hat who thought that suffering made you a better artist.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fil5000 posted:

Wasn't there one where someone was using Xbox Live to arrange murders and drug drops or something like that? That show was loving hilarious.

Well yeah except that actually happened in real life, only it was the playstation networks and the Paris attacks.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

You spelt "Dalton" wrong.
is Dalton a no-poo poo misogynist too?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I think that was about three episodes for me. The first one you watch is hilarious, but the joke gets old fast since the only new element is the ridiculous premise, and that's one laugh per episode.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

sassassin posted:

Add every American actor to this list.

I will never understand casting Americans as the sole and/or one of very few British parts in an otherwise American movie when there are plenty of perfectly good British actors who can manage to not sound like Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins

see also: every other accent

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
A random recommendation took me to a Jimmy Neutron clip (where he's working at a McDonalds knockoff and calculates the prices and VATs in his head because he can) which reminds me - I hate when Genius characters get cocky, because they never consider that they may forget one small stupid thing when running through simple maths in their heads. This is why real scientists write everything down, in case something stupid happens and they can then look back and make sure it wasn't something they did.

It's like, Jimmy, dude, the buttons aren't to make you feel stupid, there a simple way of telling a computer what the customer bought - the computer is programmed to not forget to carry a one, also not using the system means that the prices are likely not getting logged in the system properly. You could end up shortchanging someone because you missed a penny somewhere in the calculation.

This is why I liked Phineas and Ferb - they made thorough plans and preparations, and Ferb ran his maths by Baljeet to ensure he didn't miss anything. They made redundancies because they knew things would gently caress up.

It's like that one episode of Dexter's Lab when the plumber/electrician comes by and after fixing the sink he wanders into the lab, rewiring the whole place to run far better than it did when a 6 year old with no formal training built it. Dexter's smart, but he's reinventing a lot of wheels in his work and missing obvious shortcuts because of no formal training, and that was cool that he was allowed to be that way. It brought to mind that, certainly Mandark was smarter now, but he was also much older - by the time Dexter reaches his age he could possibly have ended up surpassing him.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

TheKennedys posted:

I will never understand casting Americans as the sole and/or one of very few British parts in an otherwise American movie when there are plenty of perfectly good British actors who can manage to not sound like Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins

For the same reason they cast Brits who can't do American accents as Americans. Name recognition and "hey who can we afford" is more important than fitting the part.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

A random recommendation took me to a Jimmy Neutron clip (where he's working at a McDonalds knockoff and calculates the prices and VATs in his head because he can) which reminds me - I hate when Genius characters get cocky, because they never consider that they may forget one small stupid thing when running through simple maths in their heads. This is why real scientists write everything down, in case something stupid happens and they can then look back and make sure it wasn't something they did.

It's like, Jimmy, dude, the buttons aren't to make you feel stupid, there a simple way of telling a computer what the customer bought - the computer is programmed to not forget to carry a one, also not using the system means that the prices are likely not getting logged in the system properly. You could end up shortchanging someone because you missed a penny somewhere in the calculation.

This is why I liked Phineas and Ferb - they made thorough plans and preparations, and Ferb ran his maths by Baljeet to ensure he didn't miss anything. They made redundancies because they knew things would gently caress up.

It's like that one episode of Dexter's Lab when the plumber/electrician comes by and after fixing the sink he wanders into the lab, rewiring the whole place to run far better than it did when a 6 year old with no formal training built it. Dexter's smart, but he's reinventing a lot of wheels in his work and missing obvious shortcuts because of no formal training, and that was cool that he was allowed to be that way. It brought to mind that, certainly Mandark was smarter now, but he was also much older - by the time Dexter reaches his age he could possibly have ended up surpassing him.

Jimmy Neutron pretty much is a Dexter's Lab knockoff that doesn't understand what made it great at all from day one.

P&F occasionally implies that Phineas mostly comes up with the ideas, while Ferb handles the technical stuff better. And there's still a few episodes where their creations go wrong (actually nearly all of them) but they generally have redundancies and safety mechanisms, albeit ones often almost as entertainingly ridiculous as the invention itself.

It seems ambiguous how much Dr Doofenshmirtz is actually good at inventions and traps and how much Perry just humours him so he doesn't go off the deep end.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

TheKennedys posted:

It's somehow doubly irritating if they do it the other way around. For example, Liam Cunningham (You may know him most recently as Davos in Game of Thrones) has an amazing Irish accent on account of being from Ireland. But then in The Tournament, they cast him and just had him do an utterly generic American accent even though his character didn't particularly need to be American. I mean, props to him for pulling it off, but that was just giving up a lot of character for no reason.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 14:23 on Aug 17, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When he started appearing on American television, Simon MacCorkingdale (of Manimal fame :v:) was told he should put on an American accent because American audiences wouldn't want to see or hear someone who sounded "intellectual" in primetime.

He was apparently one of the first British actors who tried to make it big on American television in the 80s (along with Joan Collins) and kept his natural accent because - at that time - there was a niche for it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Perestroika posted:

It's somehow doubly irritating if they do it the other way around. For example, Liam Cunningham (You may know him most recently) as Davos in Game of Thrones has an amazing Irish accent on account of being from Ireland. But then in The Tournament, they cast him and just had him do an utterly generic American accent even though his character didn't particularly had to be American. I mean, props to him for pulling it off, but that was just giving up a lot of character for no reason.
His geordie accent in game of thrones is great, ditto Dog Soldiers where he sounds exactly like a geordie trying to sound posher than they are to fit in as an officer would. Though neither of those were particularly impressive until I found out he was actually Irish. :v:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Fun fact: that was meant to be a springboard for a new series headlined by Halle Berry as Jinx. I think there are versions of the movie poster where she's positioned in front of Pierce Brosnan.

I heard this same talk around the time of Tomorrow Never Dies with Michelle Yeoh's character, too. It even seems sort of possible given the time and place that Tomorrow Never Dies came out.

Around the mid-late 90s through the early 00s you had a sort of boom in HK/Chinese actors and directors gaining mainstream exposure in the US in that window with some relatively big Western productions or a dubbed US release of one of their films. Heck, I seem to recall that around the time TND came out in theaters I'm pretty sure TNT ran a special weekend event of Yeoh movies (Heroic Trio, its sequel and Wing Chun) with a series of Yeoh interviews during commercial breaks, so maybe there was some attempt to build more awareness of her in general, in addition to supporting the Bond film, to help garner a bit more interest in a Yeoh-lead film set in the 007verse.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

JediTalentAgent posted:

I heard this same talk around the time of Tomorrow Never Dies with Michelle Yeoh's character, too. It even seems sort of possible given the time and place that Tomorrow Never Dies came out.

I hadn't heard that but I'm disappointed it never happened now.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cool brag- I'm a random audience guy in the scene where Frank's band has a gig and Maggie Gyllenhaals synth explodes. She kept saying how she needed her assistant between takes, and he's got the same name as me so that was a quasi-erotic experience

People who work as extras a lot are deeply sad individuals

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Admittedly, it was maybe all just late 90s internet rumor-milling, but as I said, in light of all the other Chinese actors getting relatively big costarring or headlining roles in Western movies and TV, there might be some validity to it.

I find a quote about it from a few years ago on Variety's website: "The character proved so popular that MGM briefly considered developing a solo film around her. When that didn’t pan out, producers decided to bring her back for the 2002 Bond film “Die Another Day.” Unfortunately, scheduling conflicts prevented Yeoh’s return," so I'm guessing my initial recollections of hearing about that stem from probably the window of the late 90s.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Well, it only took 15 years to get female James Bond in any event.

(Atomic Blonde obviously.)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, it only took 15 years to get female James Bond in any event.

(Atomic Blonde obviously.)

Maybe Long Kiss Goodnight? Ish?

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Would La Femme Nikita or its many remakes count?

In the video game realm, No One Lives Forever obviously has to count (which I just found out recently is tied up in some sort of rights issues. Sort of sad as I remember liking the demos but never having a chance to buy the full game.)

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Modesty Blaise and Emma Peel are arching their eyebrows right now.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

ynohtna posted:

Modesty Blaise and Emma Peel are arching their eyebrows right now.

Emma peel had way too much class to be a bond equivalent.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Modesty Blaise, did anyone else ever see that movie from mid-2000s that had Jaime Lannister as the villain and Quentin Tarantino put his name on? Some good bits, but there's a fight scene at the end where Modesty fights Jaime Lannister and it's pretty stiff-looking. Think it might be on YouTube.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JediTalentAgent posted:

Would La Femme Nikita or its many remakes count?

In the video game realm, No One Lives Forever obviously has to count (which I just found out recently is tied up in some sort of rights issues. Sort of sad as I remember liking the demos but never having a chance to buy the full game.)

You can download both games for free at http://nolfrevival.tk/

I don't know if it's illegal to do that, because currently, no one knows if it's illegal to do that, or cares enough to find out if they actually own the rights. That website has been up for over six weeks now, so if it was going to be taken down, it probably would have been by now.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Terrible Opinions posted:

This one is true to life though.

Oh, sure, but the smugness they had about it (Look at this silly company! With its silly millennial boss and its trendy office and its DANGER!!) was overpowering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Atomic Blonde is female Bond in more than just "badass action spy". It hits a lot of the same tropes that the other movies mentioned don't. Jaded, possibly alcoholic, British spy quipping away while banging the female contact and saving the world. It feels exactly like a Bond film in a way Avengers, Long Kiss Goodnight, etc. don't.