Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

thorsilver posted:

:same:

FFTA rules, had so much fun playing through that game for the first time with my housemate back in like 2005. Played it a few times since and it still holds up for me. It's never gonna happen but I'd pay serious money for an FFTA3 on Switch.

I have difficulty going back to it these days, but I still think it is the best game with "Final Fantasy Tactics" in the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What is FFVIII supposed to be about?

I always thought of it as having a weird "Love Conquers All" theme given Squall and Rinoa and also how they are related to Laguna's two loves and stuff. Basically, Laguna and Julia were tragically split apart but it all worked out because Laguna's son and Julia's daughter hooked up.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hot dogs

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

the transience of memory

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I've never played War of the Lions beyond that one mission where uh... You fight that one dude on a windmill type of map or something?

I think I'm missing out

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NikkolasKing posted:

I always thought of it as having a weird "Love Conquers All" theme given Squall and Rinoa and also how they are related to Laguna's two loves and stuff. Basically, Laguna and Julia were tragically split apart but it all worked out because Laguna's son and Julia's daughter hooked up.

Love...relationships....time.....something....

FF8 is confused.

Bongo Bill posted:

the transience of memory

This is as good an answer as you're gonna get

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

It's a cautionary tale of what happens when you lock 3 Japanese men in a room that has a slow gas leak.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

NikkolasKing posted:

How to get GF

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

it's also a coming-of-age thing for Squall as he goes from being emotionally stunted and rejecting friendships to being open with himself about what he wants and actually doing something about it. you can also compare him at once to both Laguna and Seifer because the games gives you plenty of cuts between them. while Laguna is a carefree guy who just wants to travel with his friends and figures everything will work out, Seifer is wholly committed to the whole "Sorceress' Knight" thing to the point he alienates everyone he knows. Squall is apart of these, because he wants friends but has a messed up idea of how relationships work since he was abandoned, and he also has some noble knight-like qualities, but his identity isn't caught up in it like Seifer's is.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I like to think FFVIII is about fate.

A really weird, messy fate. But fate.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I just watched a friend finished FFXV and man, let me tell you, it really made me appreciate FFX-2's message more.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's about mercenaries saving the word from an evil sorceress. :shrug:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

FF8 is about how young men should learn to beat off a little when they can't get what they want right away until something better shows up.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gologle posted:

The boss fight music when you fight Ifrit in FFXV is one of the best in the game and possibly in the series, and people who post and peruse this very thread can back me up on this.

I'm catching up, but yeah this. It's better than Primal Judgement. It's real fuckin' good. Shimomura's work on XV was inspired and genuinely enhanced the mood and setting.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
FF2 is about death.

In that everyone dies.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

FF2 is about death.

In that everyone dies.

It's a poignant attack on the accumulation of objects and power because nothing you get or do means a damned thing.

In every other FF game, getting Ultima is the end and you are very excited. In FF2? Thanks Minwu for loving nothing. Had to climb that damned tower and everything.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

All the mainline Final Fantasies are pretty apocalyptic in scope. Entire cities get wasted, millions of people are vaporized or turned into monsters or crystal or worse, but the fashion game is always on point.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
also I just read the last page and FFX2 is telling the games with depressing endings to gently caress off and that's why it's the best ff

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

morallyobjected posted:

it's also a coming-of-age thing for Squall as he goes from being emotionally stunted and rejecting friendships to being open with himself about what he wants and actually doing something about it. you can also compare him at once to both Laguna and Seifer because the games gives you plenty of cuts between them. while Laguna is a carefree guy who just wants to travel with his friends and figures everything will work out, Seifer is wholly committed to the whole "Sorceress' Knight" thing to the point he alienates everyone he knows. Squall is apart of these, because he wants friends but has a messed up idea of how relationships work since he was abandoned, and he also has some noble knight-like qualities, but his identity isn't caught up in it like Seifer's is.

...whatever.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

All the mainline Final Fantasies are pretty apocalyptic in scope. Entire cities get wasted, millions of people are vaporized or turned into monsters or crystal or worse, but the fashion game is always on point.

FFIX is surprisingly destructive, given its cheerier tone overall. Most of the cities in the game experience some type of horrible apocalyptic event over the course of the game, sometimes two. I think maybe Treno gets away pretty clean?

It does have a pretty drat happy ending, though. Except for poor Vivi :ohdear:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Treno gets the worst fate of all. A Tetra Master tournament.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The White Dragon posted:

now rng is kind of okay on its own, but when you combine it with a skill check, it disincentives playing well and adhering to your bonus condition. it's ramming two diametrically-opposed principles against each other, and that's just straight-up poor design.

I'm trying to avoid a giant screed about the game's design here, so let me try to summarize it. The point systems are there to promote the competitive/cooperative aspects of the game simultaneously because of how they play into both the Artifact selection order and the Artifact bonus tiers. But if you take the way that point system works and take out the RNG, it's extremely abusable to *always* get the best tiered set even unintentionally when it comes to 4 players. Meaning that even casually players will be seeing the same sets, and you'd need guides just for basic variation in rewards, which is REALLY really bad (in my view and maybe to the dev's too, but maybe not you). And it's at this point you'd have to make a decision: do you want to make the system to encourage min-maxing (more control in drops, less natural variance) or casual play* (more natural variance, less control in drops)?

So if you kept the systems in place, but took out the RNG? You'll end up with multiplayer frequently getting the same sets every time, which may be a bad thing.

If you kept the systems mostly in place, but changed around the sets/points values + taking out RNG? Might work out, but it'd be a lot more work and would probably require a lot more testing to make sure the average values correlate to the right user-experience.

If you just changed around all the systems to something different? Sure maybe you could do something else that worked, but at that point you'd be arguing with higher up directors/producers so good luck with that.

It's a system that's supposed to promote normal play seeing various rewards/artifacts while simultaneously encouraging better play. I think it does a pretty good job at those 2 things. It does become problematic when it comes to grinding for something specific, but to be frank that's not a huge issue to me as long as there's no need to specifically grind. So I don't agree that it's bad design; maybe a little faulty but not generally bad.

*this base assumption is that casual play = players who will just play the game w/o much care for grinding and only finish the story mode

The White Dragon posted:

i'm also being extra critical of it because i fuckin know i could make something just like it but with all the bad parts cut out

This is a cute thought but, in reality, that's also basically every final fantasy game (every game is the worst in the franchise etc). Or even every game ever. You should always be critical of anything you play, and just because it has faults doesn't make it any less. It's what those faults are and how much they mean to you and your overall experience that matters. That's why I'm saying in FFCC's case I don't mind what's going on, because I'm okay with the base experience and not worrying about specific grinding.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Dragonatrix posted:

Treno gets the worst fate of all. A Tetra Master tournament.

Not a fate I would wish on my worst enemies

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Remember Tetra Triad? I don't. -Hironobu Sakaguchi

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I always loved (read: hate) that 8 and 9 used plot points to close off half the game in the final disc because disc 4 contained too much CGI film to put the rest of the game in there.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

seiferguy posted:

I always loved (read: hate) that 8 and 9 used plot points to close off half the game in the final disc because disc 4 contained too much CGI film to put the rest of the game in there.

A lot of my time was wasted when those games released on bullshit "hacks" and "codes" that would allow you to enter towns and stuff on disc 4 in FF8. At least I learned better by FF9.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Morby posted:

A lot of my time was wasted when those games released on bullshit "hacks" and "codes" that would allow you to enter towns and stuff on disc 4 in FF8. At least I learned better by FF9.

What the hell was the point of allowing you to go back, anyway? IIRC you had to run a convoluted path that involved finding a chocobo so you could cross shallow water just to regain access to places that had nothing new to offer.

Also, speaking of apocalyptic storylines, it doesn't get much more apocalyptic than "the entirety of time and space is going to be smooshed into a place/time in which only one evil future/past/present? sorceress is physically able to exist."

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

What the hell was the point of allowing you to go back, anyway? IIRC you had to run a convoluted path that involved finding a chocobo so you could cross shallow water just to regain access to places that had nothing new to offer.

Also, speaking of apocalyptic storylines, it doesn't get much more apocalyptic than "the entirety of time and space is going to be smooshed into a place/time in which only one evil future/past/present? sorceress is physically able to exist."

The only areas in the game at disc 4 that were allowed were spots where GF fights (like Odin, Tonberry, Brothers, etc) were, so if you missed one there, you could go back and get them.

Edit: there was also the card queen somewhere too, who had every rare card you missed too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ventana posted:

The point systems are there to promote the competitive/cooperative aspects of the game simultaneously

you're right, i guess i never really thought about it from this perspective. i'm not exceedingly competitive but my friends would get really into who had first, who actually deserved it, etc. it's an aspect i don't give enough credit to, and one i'd do to consider how to adapt

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

seiferguy posted:

The only areas in the game at disc 4 that were allowed were spots where GF fights (like Odin, Tonberry, Brothers, etc) were, so if you missed one there, you could go back and get them.

Edit: there was also the card queen somewhere too, who had every rare card you missed too.

QoC uses her cards that you missed elsewhere. And every rule except Open.

Left Girl of the Diamond Duo, meanwhile, on Ragnarok uses every rare card - including the QoC cards - and will reuse them when you lose/mod them. And her rules are adjustable because they're based on Trabia. She even uses them in a fixed order, so you'll know which one you're going to get in advance. She goes through the level 8 list in order, then the level 9 list and then the level 10 list.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Norns posted:

I'm wrapping up all the XV post-game content trying to decide what Final Fantasy to play next. Looks like X and X2 are on sale on PSN...

Me too, except I chose the Zodiac Age part of the Final Fantasy board.

As a lover of Tactics Advance and A2, the familiarity of the (beautifully reorchestrated) score is winning me over fast, as is the ability to x2/x4 any trudging around. Even so, XII just has so much to explore and I'm still in Rabanastre.

PS - While you're exploring XV's post-game content, make sure you try out the Regalia Type F. 60 hours of rolling rubber makes each takeoff an absolute joy.

Also, none of my Death Ring attempts worked on Adamantoise, but a Shiva summon appeared at the last second and took it out for me. That turtle must not like ice water!

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The first thing anyone playing FFXV now should do is changing their Regalia to the off-road type. It was a solid half of my enjoyment of the game and I'm v.glad I didn't play at release

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm listening to the FFXV soundtrack and now I heartily recommend you actually do not listen to the other games' soundtracks that you find throughout the game. I missed out on so many of these because I was listening to FF6 or 4 instead, this game's themes are great.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'd be listening to the ff9 soundtrack but I dunno where you buy it. Maybe ff14 but that might just not be in the game at all

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

They're all in gas stations iirc. If you can't find them available, then probably that station hasn't opened up yet.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Artelier posted:

They're all in gas stations iirc. If you can't find them available, then probably that station hasn't opened up yet.

on that note, make sure you check all the shops at each gas station and also the shop in the car itself, because that has the MP3 player and maybe one of the soundtracks as well

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ff4tay is trying my patience

why even learn warp if you cant use it

goddamn

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So I'm almost finished with Final Fantasy 7 and I love it. There are some seriously dated mechanics, but I never played many JRPGs when I was young (FF VIII being my only one when it came out) and now I regret that. Still, better late than never. I'm trying to decide which Final Fantasy to play next. My buddy lent me his copy of FFXV, however I am also eyeing the FFX, X-2 remaster on steam and, if I am lucky, FFVI if I can nab an SNES classic..

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
So Dissidia got a release date, Sooner than I thought.

30 january 2018
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/898529924327366657

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So I'm almost finished with Final Fantasy 7 and I love it. There are some seriously dated mechanics, but I never played many JRPGs when I was young (FF VIII being my only one when it came out) and now I regret that. Still, better late than never. I'm trying to decide which Final Fantasy to play next. My buddy lent me his copy of FFXV, however I am also eyeing the FFX, X-2 remaster on steam and, if I am lucky, FFVI if I can nab an SNES classic..

While I liked FFXV, a person would have to be very crazy to say that it's better than FFX or FFVI, so it's up to you if you want to save the best for last.

Don't forget about FFIV. It's great too.