Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Delusibeta posted:

The Vega 56, assuming it does indeed retail for $400 for an extended period of time, looks like it might be a half decent 1070 competitor. The problem right now is that it's a paper launch, and I haven't even seen a listing for the thing here in the UK, never mind pricing. Vega 64, on the other hand, is totally DoA.

I thought the Vega 56 was releasing on the 28th?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
That super low-volume 'special launch price' is some shady AMD crap, and they keep denying it too even after several retailers more or less openly spilled the beans.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

NewEgg seemingly loaded up on, then sold out of another load of the air cooled black 64's from PowerCooler, in about the time it took me to click the Add To Cart button

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AMD just released a driver specifically for crypto mining :eyepoop:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Source your quotes, my dude.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Kazinsal posted:

Source your quotes, my dude.

:effort: time better spent trying to buy one

Edit: well I guess those drivers are something :eyepop:

Really wish they had posted max power draw, too.

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 16, 2017

MrBadidea
Apr 1, 2009

Vega sure seems like a solid buy :tif:

Also gently caress UK GPU prices.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

MrBadidea posted:

Also gently caress UK GPU prices.
Gouging like motherfuckers.

CPU's too. When I bought my 6600K, some seller in Oz beat UK prices by around £30, including shipping, and they're another price rape capital of the world.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
If you believe random German site, the mining drivers give the Vega 64 about a 5.7% increase in mining performance, edging out the 1080ti. The dreadfully sad thing is that the Vega 56 sees an enormous 24% 16% improvement in mining, actually passing 64 without the mining driver and the 1080. So people who wanted $400ish "higher end but not quite flagship" cards are hosed with both fists.

At the very worst, you're probably looking at a product line that goes:
RX 560 <-----[PRODUCT UNAVAILABLE - OUT OF STOCK]----------> Vega 64

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 16, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Craptacular! posted:

If you believe random German site, the mining drivers give the Vega 64 about a 5.7% increase in mining performance, edging out the 1080ti. The dreadfully sad thing is that the Vega 56 sees an enormous 24% improvement in mining, actually passing 64 without the mining driver and the 1080. So people who wanted $400ish "higher end but not quite flagship" cards are hosed with both fists.

At the very worst, you're probably looking at a product line that goes:
RX 560 <-----[PRODUCT UNAVAILABLE - OUT OF STOCK]----------> Vega 64

product line effectively ends at the 560 for 99% of consumers. The vega 64 is good enough at mining that there is no chance it will stay in stock

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The next mining crash is going to be incredible

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

3peat posted:

Nvidia has a huge legion of fanbois who would only buy their cards even if they were twice as expensive, why would they cut prices

I have bought only nvidia cards for the last 17 or so years. I will probably do so in the future. My main reason is the drivers. I cannot get better FreeBSD and Linux drivers from ATI/AMD at the moment. Yes, they have made some decent open-source drivers (linux only) recently, but also (recently) their cards have been complete and total poo poo. And as far as I know they don't have any FreeBSD drivers (and that is a show-stopper right there) yet.
When they will get some decent cards on the market, paired with relatively decent (open source or not, i don't give a poo poo) drivers for Linux and FreeBSD I will buy an ATI/AMD video card. Until then and until Nvidia still keeps on making both high quality cards and drivers, AMD doesn't stand a chance.

I want competition, I want for Nvidia to poo poo their pants whenever AMD releases a new card (being that card with only windows drivers, i dont care), but simply it hasn't been the case. Since ATI All-In-One wonder bullshit and Riva 128.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Rastor posted:

The next mining crash is going to be incredible

Very pumped to buy v56's for $180

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

nerdrum posted:

Very pumped to buy v56's for $180
Aren't they going to try to sell them for buttcoinz to the end? What's the ethereum equivalent to a Zimbabwean trillion dollar bill? Having the crypto bubble burst is crucial to my plan of a four VM Threadripper system.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

So the leaked Vegas 60MH/s was conplete loving lies?

Lol my undervolted 9ghz VRAM 1070 does 32MH/s in like what...90W?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Palladium posted:

So the leaked Vegas 60MH/s was conplete loving lies?

Lol my undervolted 9ghz VRAM 1070 does 32MH/s in like what...90W?

Sounds like it, I'm really surprised that gently caress Gibbo at OCUK was wrong.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fauxtool posted:

product line effectively ends at the 560 for 99% of consumers. The vega 64 is good enough at mining that there is no chance it will stay in stock

There's also a chance that by putting miners at the front of the line for the Fine Wine, that miners will think Vega cards are an investment that will be paid off with further 5-15% improvements to mining via drivers.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Is Vega actually Prescott, longer pipelines and latency hiding, except it can't clock :/

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Aug 16, 2017

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
NCIX has a Vega promo where you get Wolfenstein 2 and Prey for free.

But lmao at the prices.... http://www.ncix.com/subpromo/1970.htm

$789 to $899 CAD

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I've had strange crashes where my screen goes black but nothing else seems to crash. I am even able to remote into the desktop and see everything fine. I took everything apart and turns out my 1080ti has been running on one 8 pin for 2 weeks lol.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

1gnoirents posted:

I've had strange crashes where my screen goes black but nothing else seems to crash. I am even able to remote into the desktop and see everything fine. I took everything apart and turns out my 1080ti has been running on one 8 pin for 2 weeks lol.

Nice post/username combo. :thumbsup:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

So apparently AMD hasn't enabled primitive shaders in the drivers, which is why Vega is behaving as it is w/r/t to being bottlenecked. Hence the very weird MSAA hit, the much reduced memory utilization, disastrously low texel rate, etc. Vega XT is not going to magically compete with a 1080ti, but I think were going to see another Hawaii to Grenada performance improvement because it seriously looks like drivers are not fully utilizing Vega. Doesn't excuse the ridiculous power draw and I don't think that'll ever get fixed without moving to a new process.

White Paper on Vega - http://radeon.com/_downloads/vega-whitepaper-11.6.17.pdf.

Is this confirmed anywhere? All I've heard is that they haven't exposed the explicit functionality to developers, but the driver should be using the new pipeline anyways.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1gnoirents posted:

another team green Nvidiot. If you had an AMD card you would know the importance of having enough power. I just upgraded to a 1200w PSU to power my new Vega cards. Im a little worried that my outlets cant handle it so im getting some new lines run. I hope they are good enough for Navi too

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Aug 16, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fauxtool posted:

another team green Nvidiot. If you had an AMD card you would know the importance of having enough power. I just upgraded to a 1200w PSU to power my new Vega cards. Im a little worried that my outlets cant handle it so im getting some new lines run. I hope they are good enough for Navi too

If only Toshiba had seen the future market: https://www.treehugger.com/renewable-energy/portable-backyard-nuclear-reactors-ready-to-be-installed-by-2013.html

"6/13 is the number that sits above my desk. We ship in June of 2013, our first customer install. We will make that date."

They didn't make that date.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Volguus posted:

I want competition, I want for Nvidia to poo poo their pants whenever AMD releases a new card (being that card with only windows drivers, i dont care), but simply it hasn't been the case. Since ATI All-In-One wonder bullshit and Riva 128.

Nvidia has made plenty of mistakes over the years for ATI/AMD to capitalize. If you think they have been comfortably ahead going back to the Riva line, I guess you were asleep for the GeForce FX fiasco. The reaction of buyers going from the Ti4x00 line to the FX series was so whiplash, it was like the graphics card version of Sammy Hagar joining Van Halen. "You sold out to Xbox and went SOFT, maaaaan!"

Hell, a 7950 from 2012 is relatively comparable to a 1050ti today, with the major difference being the industry adopted standard of 4GB of RAM over 3GB. 7970 at the end of it's sales period, priced to move, was probably a really good performance-to-dollar for some people. I have a friend who bought one in 2013 and is startled he has to go all the way to 6GB 1060 to find a meaningful upgrade.

People who know hardware better than I can explain why, but it seems like it's been 2015-onward that they've just been throwing more and more power at an inferior bundle of components.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Aug 16, 2017

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Haha, holy poo poo people were accusing Steve of both being biased for AMD and biased for nVidia over his Vega 56 results:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEfRi5pBQr4

It's been exciting following these AMD developments this year, but gently caress is it exhausting trying to keep up with all of the bullshit. It's been an interesting experience trying to apply critical thinking to this mess, but I think I'm done.

The only thing I can take away from this is I'm pretty sure that both Steves are trustworthy, and Adored is at least interesting.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Want to watch a guy test the liquid-cooled Vega? Well here you go then.

Edit; Well, actually you won't see anything, you'll just see a bunch of benchmark tables. But hey, that temperature is almost 1070 air low. I still thought it was worth sharing because I have seen very few liquid cooled cards.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 16, 2017

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Arzachel posted:

Is this confirmed anywhere? All I've heard is that they haven't exposed the explicit functionality to developers, but the driver should be using the new pipeline anyways.

Found it, the source is ComputerBase. The phrasing is a bit ambiguous though.

Craptacular! posted:

Nvidia has made plenty of mistakes over the years for ATI/AMD to capitalize. If you think they have been comfortably ahead going back to the Riva line, I guess you were asleep for the GeForce FX fiasco. The reaction of buyers going from the Ti4x00 line to the FX series was so whiplash, it was like the graphics card version of Sammy Hagar joining Van Halen. "You sold out to Xbox and went SOFT, maaaaan!"

Hell, a 7950 from 2012 is relatively comparable to a 1050ti today, with the major difference being the industry adopted standard of 4GB of RAM over 3GB. 7970 at the end of it's sales period, priced to move, was probably a really good performance-to-dollar for some people. I have a friend who bought one in 2013 and is startled he has to go all the way to 6GB 1060 to find a meaningful upgrade.

People who know hardware better than I can explain why, but it seems like it's been 2015-onward that they've just been throwing more and more power at an inferior bundle of components.

AMD has had half Nvidia's R&D budget split between GPUs and CPUs for the last couple years and Zen makes it pretty obvious where the money went.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Delusibeta posted:

The Vega 56, assuming it does indeed retail for $400 for an extended period of time, looks like it might be a half decent 1070 competitor. The problem right now is that it's a paper launch, and I haven't even seen a listing for the thing here in the UK, never mind pricing. Vega 64, on the other hand, is totally DoA.

I had a price alert from pcpartpicker which led to this

https://www.cclonline.com/product/238813/GV-RXVEGA56-8GD-B/Graphics-Cards/Gigabyte-Radeon-RX-Vega-56-8GB-Graphics-Card/VGA3950/

I'm still gonna wait out for AIBs but if they can stay around that price.....

I know but let me hope a little ok??

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

I just upgraded to a 1200w PSU to power my new Vega cards. Im a little worried that my outlets cant handle it so im getting some new lines run.

Vega dot txt.

The sooner Raven Ridge happens, the better. AMD desperately needs a graphics solution of some sort that isn't totally useless. Also, tired of "Intel Atom x8350" and integrated graphics in every bloody low end laptop offering.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arzachel posted:

AMD has had half Nvidia's R&D budget split between GPUs and CPUs for the last couple years and Zen makes it pretty obvious where the money went.

Jim Keller's salary.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Craptacular! posted:

Even the R9 290 was a great value card that was only hampered by a lovely cooler and a crypto boom.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Subjunctive posted:

Jim Keller's salary.

But worth every penny though

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
How much your TCO changes, Vega 56 vs. GTX 1070, turning Watts into something more understandable, like $.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X5aIyBa0gs

Other graphs:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Not having 100W of extra heat in an mITX case = priceless

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnUW9-aYtx4

So long story short OC3D spun some bullshit, which got picked up by wccftech, and somehow this bastion of credibility was able to convince everyone that AMD was raising the MSRP of Vega.

eames
May 9, 2009

speaking of raising prices...

Samsung & SK Hynix Graphics Memory Prices Increase Over 30% In August

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Measly Twerp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnUW9-aYtx4

So long story short OC3D spun some bullshit, which got picked up by wccftech, and somehow this bastion of credibility was able to convince everyone that AMD was raising the MSRP of Vega.

Hmmm, I wonder if it would help a little if AMD said something to this effect through official channels, but nahhhh, surely their silence on this did not allow this whole thing to grow out of control, that would be silly.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Hmmm, I wonder if it would help a little if AMD said something to this effect through official channels, but nahhhh, surely their silence on this did not allow this whole thing to grow out of control, that would be silly.

Or, you know, the journalist could ask AMD before publishing, and get an answer, and have integrity. But that wouldn't drive clicks!

Or do you really expect AMD to comment of every dumb thing that someone says about them on the internet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Measly Twerp posted:

Or, you know, the journalist could ask AMD before publishing, and get an answer, and have integrity. But that wouldn't drive clicks!

Or do you really expect AMD to comment of every dumb thing that someone says about them on the internet?

In light of their history of utter incompetence in public relations, no, I don't expect them to, but they probably should. That this story was treated as creditable is a result of the general lack of trust in AMD. Would something like this be a huge blunder? Absolutely. Would a blunder like this from AMD be at all surprising? No, not at all.