Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I want to gush about Rolemaster for a minute.

Rolemaster 2e (or to be more exact, the Finnish translation Roolimestari) was the game I started with if you don't count me and my friends' abortive attempt to play MERP after which I was sold on the promise of more charts and more realism in Rolemaster. I eventually moved to D&D 3e when it came out, sold my Rolemaster books and never looked back at it.

Until this year I was at Ropecon in Helsinki. Now Ropecon has this thing where games on demand GMs get rewarded at the end of the weekend with free stuff Ropecon receives from their sponsors, and this year's theme being "Classics" they had a bunch of old RPGs there. I managed to snatch the Rolemaster box from the loot table when it was my turn to make a pick and going back to it it's just as terrible and full of charts as I remember but I love it.

Like one of the things I'd forgotten about the game was the fact that under all that "realism" and pages upon pages of charts there is an underlying sense of humor. Whether it's classic fumbles like tripping on an invisible imaginary dead turtle or critical results like "Foe makes a strategic retreat from reality" it's not at all a serious game, and I like that. And even though there's a lot of rules you can see that they have been crafted very purposefully.

I mean obviously it's not perfect: casters start the game ridiculously weak and pretty much the only spell that matters at level 1 is sleep (big surprise) and since the game does individual XP and most XP is to be gained for rendering foes unconscious, dealing damage or critical injuries, spellcasters only hit their stride once they start getting damaging spells.

And the system for learning spells is just stupid: you spend points to learn a specific spell list, then convert that number to a percentage (5% per rank in that spell list) and then roll that percentage to see whether you learned a part of that list. Thankfully the Rolemaster Companion III which I also got from the pile has an alternate system where you learn one spell per rank purchased in the list (and it ups the costs per single spell some) which means playing a low level caster is no longer a stupid gamble.

But yeah, I kinda want to run this stupid game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I will always have a soft spot for MERP because a hobbit with a rock was the most terrifying thing in the game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ratpick posted:

I want to gush about Rolemaster for a minute.

But yeah, I kinda want to run this stupid game.

:allears:

Rolemaster is sort of my white whale in that I first dug into it because it was infamous for being (one of) the poster-child for overly complicated RPGs, but there's actually a lot of cool design going on under the hood, and I've written a bunch about how arguably 3rd Edition D&D's problem was that it didn't emulate Rolemaster enough, rather than too much.

I've still got a bunch of notes on running some kind of hybrid D&D/Rolemaster system so that you can play with the critical hit tables and the combat system without having to go through the entire cumbersome character creation process.

Someday, someday, I'll get to run it.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Liquid Communism posted:

I will always have a soft spot for MERP because a hobbit with a rock was the most terrifying thing in the game.

Which actually has some lore accuracy to it

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Another query, apart from the various Pathfinder Adventure Paths, the D&D 5th books, and the Great Pendragon Campaign, what else is there out there in there way of big, ready made campaigns?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Zeitgeist for D&D 4e

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Angrymog posted:

Another query, apart from the various Pathfinder Adventure Paths, the D&D 5th books, and the Great Pendragon Campaign, what else is there out there in there way of big, ready made campaigns?

There were loads and loads for various kinds of D&D -- The Night Below, Temple of Elemental Evil, Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil, the GDQ series, and I'm not even scratching the surface here. I've seen a couple for the 40K RPGs, a few for various incarnations of Savage Worlds (like that one where you're supervillains fighting an alien invasion), the terrible horrible Abandon All Hope which is being dismantled in F&F at the moment, the Freiburg boxed set for 7th Sea (1st edition)...

There are craptons, is what I'm saying. Are you looking for anything in particular?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean nothing is really as big as the Great Pendragon Campaign, that's kind of in a league of its own. There's the World's Largest Dungeon, but it super sucks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Angrymog posted:

Trail of Cthulhu has the Armitage Files and Eternal Lies

Night's Black Agents has The Dracula Dossier (and the Zaloznhiy Quartet is maybe a smaller, more linear campaign)

The Esoterrorists has Worldbreaker

Call of Cthulhu has Masks of Nyarlathotep, but I don't know how "easy" it is to acquire and/or run nowadays

D&D 4th Edition has The Scales of War adventure path, though AFAIK that wasn't released as a single compilation, so you have to put it together across the multiple Dungeon Magazines

War of the Burning Sky was a third-party adventure path for both 3e and 4e, though I believe the 3e version is better

Zeitgeist is another third-party adventure path, this time for Pathfinder, 4e, and I believe also 5e. I've heard very good things about the 4e version in this case.

D&D 3rd Edition had a series of linked modules that would take you from 1 to 20 as a sort of precursor to the "adventure path" idea before it was really formalized the way Paizo did. I believe the chain is:
The Sunless Citadel
The Forge of Fury
The Speaker in Dreams
The Standing Stone
Heart of Nightfang Spire
Deep Horizon
Lord of the Iron Fortress
Bastion of Broken Souls

4e had a similar thing going on:
Keep on the Shadowfell
Thunderspire Labyrinth
Pyramid of Shadows
King of the Trollhaunt Warrens
Demon Queen's Enclave
Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress
Death's Reach
Kingdom of the Ghouls
Prince of Undeath

Goodman Games's Dungeon Crawl Classics line for 3e has:
Castle Whiterock from level 1 to 15
Chronicle of the Fiend from level "0" to 10
Saga of the Dragon Cult from level 1 to 10

Monte Cook's Ptolus is supposed to be a setting/campaign that you can run from 1 to 20, but AFAIK there isn't a clear linear path from 1 to 20 - you're still supposed to put together events and plot-throughlines yourself using all the material

I believe Shadow of the Demon Lord has its own 1 to 10 campaign by now, but Serf would know more about that

The megadungeon of Rappan Athuk might be suitable for a wide range, but I'm not entirely sure if you can (or should) start it at level 1.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kai Tave posted:

I mean nothing is really as big as the Great Pendragon Campaign, that's kind of in a league of its own. There's the World's Largest Dungeon, but it super sucks.

A part of me still wants to play the WLD all the way through, but... "super sucks" really covers it. Hoo boy is there a lotta bad going on there.

For more games that aren't D&D, Unknown Armies 2E has a campaign-length module (To Go), although it has some railroading problems.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
To Go's major flaw is less the railroady nature of the main campaign but the extremely lame conclusion that casts your PCs as the people who simply cast their vote for which one of three NPCs they want to receive phenomenal cosmic power.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I keep hearing about PF adventure paths, but never which one of those are the really good ones.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

To Go's major flaw is less the railroady nature of the main campaign but the extremely lame conclusion that casts your PCs as the people who simply cast their vote for which one of three NPCs they want to receive phenomenal cosmic power.

Yeah, that's kind of what I mean by "railroady": the entire concept that, in a game that's fundamentally about antisocial characters consumed by their own obsessions, the PCs are forced to support one of three NPCs they have no particular reason to like or care about. It would be a substantially better module if it were more freeform about what the PCs can do with the Cosmic Power Football they're chasing; even if the implication is that the PCs are going to get plastered by the rest of the Occult Underground if they use the power for their own ends, surely "PCs get huge cosmic power score, use it, and get shanked, but only after scrawling their hideous ambitions all over the nature of reality" is the optimal way to end a UA campaign?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

it's extremely similar to the film version of valerian except instead of first contact and star wars-style aliens, it's all extremely weird transhumanism

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Antivehicular posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what I mean by "railroady": the entire concept that, in a game that's fundamentally about antisocial characters consumed by their own obsessions, the PCs are forced to support one of three NPCs they have no particular reason to like or care about. It would be a substantially better module if it were more freeform about what the PCs can do with the Cosmic Power Football they're chasing; even if the implication is that the PCs are going to get plastered by the rest of the Occult Underground if they use the power for their own ends, surely "PCs get huge cosmic power score, use it, and get shanked, but only after scrawling their hideous ambitions all over the nature of reality" is the optimal way to end a UA campaign?

I don't even feel like you really need the "get shanked" part of the equation, at the end of To Go the PCs will have trekked across America, engaged in numerous high-stakes escapades in order to gather a kilo of pure, uncut cosmic power that has major players scrambling after it, the end result ought to be an unequivocal moment to shine (for whatever value of "shine" you care to ascribe to an Unknown Armies character).

If you want to add one last twist of the knife, the way to do it would be to say only one PC gets to partake and everybody else gets a mystical consolation prize, so in a group of antisocial, obsessed characters that could wind up turning into a bloody free-for-all unless they can all come to some sort of agreement, but otherwise I'd have made it open ended enough to say sure, You Did It and now You Get To Do It Again. If a dumb rear end in a top hat can potentially ascend to the Statosphere as a made-up archetype by garbing himself in racist stereotypes and hijacking a plane, a sufficiently determined PC should be able to do one better.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I don't even feel like you really need the "get shanked" part of the equation, at the end of To Go the PCs will have trekked across America, engaged in numerous high-stakes escapades in order to gather a kilo of pure, uncut cosmic power that has major players scrambling after it, the end result ought to be an unequivocal moment to shine (for whatever value of "shine" you care to ascribe to an Unknown Armies character).

If you want to add one last twist of the knife, the way to do it would be to say only one PC gets to partake and everybody else gets a mystical consolation prize, so in a group of antisocial, obsessed characters that could wind up turning into a bloody free-for-all unless they can all come to some sort of agreement, but otherwise I'd have made it open ended enough to say sure, You Did It and now You Get To Do It Again. If a dumb rear end in a top hat can potentially ascend to the Statosphere as a made-up archetype by garbing himself in racist stereotypes and hijacking a plane, a sufficiently determined PC should be able to do one better.

Oh, sure. I'm not saying that the PCs have to have a Pyrrhic victory -- if they can successfully get to the end of To Go, they're definitely in a position to get what they want and get away clean. I'm just saying that, if the module's justification for not letting the PCs grab the Cosmic Football is "everyone in the Occult Underground will stab them if they do/only someone with a lot of institutional backing can get this and survive," well, it's still a better and more UA-y story to let them get their moment of power and suffer for it than to have them yield that power to an NPC.

(To be fair, I don't remember if that's the module's justification for not letting the PCs grab the power and run. I don't remember if the module has a justification at all, actually, besides the unstated "this is the story and we're sticking to it." A lot of UA's modules across 2E have some real problems with "this is the cool story/setpiece we wrote and we're not particularly concerned with what the PCs actually do," which is a big problem for the You Did It game line.)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't think we have a Spellound Kingdom thread, so I guess I'll have to ask here and hope someone who has played it in the past can help me, as I have a question about it. Help would be appreciated.

The manual seems to imply that income doesn't work by history rules; that is to say, the first point you gain doesn't bring your income to 4, allowing you to roll a d4 for it. Which means that the starting noble can't really choose to improve their income with their starting building; they would need at least 4 points to have any mechanical effect, and all the available buildings only produce 1. That feels really limiting and doesn't make a ton of sense.

Speaking of that, what's the starting income of a noble family supposed to be? I couldn't find it in the manual. Is it 0?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 17, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

I keep hearing about PF adventure paths, but never which one of those are the really good ones.

Rise of the Runelords, Curse of the Crimson Throne, Kingmaker, Carrion Crown, Reign of Winter are the usual highlights. In general they're all of reasonable quality; you just have to watch out for the ones with wonky systems Paizo couldn't quite pull off.

Rappan Athuk's big book doesn't start at 1, instead somewhere around 3 or 5. Instead, the Rappan Athuk supplement offers some ways to start an RA campaign off at level 1. Frog God does a lot of campaign-long mega-adventures. Slumbering Tsar is the hardcore Pathfinder-only high level one. Sword of Air, the Northlands Saga, Cults of the Sundered Kingdoms, Lost City of Barakus, Stoneheart Valley. I think both the Blight and Bard's Gate have 1-10 adventures in them.

There's City of the Spider Queen for 3.0 FR, that goes from 10-20. 3.5 FR had the Cormyr-Shadowdale-Anauroch trilogy that goes from 5-15 or so.

There were a couple nWoD/CoD ones, one for Mage 1e, one for Vampire, one for Werewolf, and Promethean. Don't forget the line-ending Time of Judgment books for the original World of Darkness, too.

There's a lot of OSR campaign-length megadungeons. Dwimmermount, Barrowmaze, Castle Gargantua, Stonehell, Anomalous Subsurface Environment. Hexcrawls would also count in the same way. There's some later takes on the mega dungeon too: Grande Temple of Jing for PF, Ruins of Felk Mor for 5e. Probably more in my collection I'm forgetting.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That is a really nice new avatar, Arivia

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

That is a really nice new avatar, Arivia

Thanks. I literally sat on a cert someone gave me for a year. I knew I wanted to do something with Sylvanas but couldn't figure out the text until I went duh, guild joke.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Age of Worms is another Paizo mega campaign for 3.5e D&D, from levels 1-20. Dunno if it was ever collected together outside of Dragon magazine

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Age of Worms is another Paizo mega campaign for 3.5e D&D, from levels 1-20. Dunno if it was ever collected together outside of Dragon magazine

Nope. Shackled City was the only one to receive a collected edition, so Savage Tide is only available in the individual issues too.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

gradenko_2000 posted:

War of the Burning Sky was a third-party adventure path for both 3e and 4e, though I believe the 3e version is better
I have the 4e conversion, and it's janky as all hell. If you run it, expect to rewrite all the monsters.

quote:

Zeitgeist is another third-party adventure path, this time for Pathfinder, 4e, and I believe also 5e. I've heard very good things about the 4e version in this case.
We're on Adventure 12 right this moment, out of 13. It's amazing, and I will be sad when it's over.

quote:

4e had a similar thing going on:
Keep on the Shadowfell
Thunderspire Labyrinth
Pyramid of Shadows
King of the Trollhaunt Warrens
Demon Queen's Enclave
Assault on Nightwyrm Fortress
Death's Reach
Kingdom of the Ghouls
Prince of Undeath
Apart from H2 and P2, these are very, very bad adventures unless you are only there for a long series of barely-connected set-piece battles.

quote:

I believe Shadow of the Demon Lord has its own 1 to 10 campaign by now, but Serf would know more about that
Tales of the Demon Lord. Notably, the entire thing is under 50 pages.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Nuns with Guns posted:

It was, and I've played it. It's pretty decent but the end is a bit lackluster since I guess whoever was in charge of making encounters forgot that most players are capable of optimization on some level. By about lv12 we were rolling initiative to see who ended the encounter, including myself playing a monk.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

It was, and I've played it. It's pretty decent but the end is a bit lackluster since I guess whoever was in charge of making encounters forgot that most players are capable of optimization on some level. By about lv12 we were rolling initiative to see who ended the encounter, including myself playing a monk.

I feel like a lot of the design decisions that we've to regard in 3e as being ... *ahem* ... stupid, comes with the assumption that the adventures are going to softball players by that much.

Like, rolling 4d6-drop-lowest for stats, and taking Toughness, and being a Fighter and whatnot sounds positively droll these days, but I bet if you were that innocent and were playing these canned adventure paths, you'd be in for the fight of your life.

(or at least until you sat down and read the books for more than a single stretch and actually put something together that even mildly synergizes)

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Liquid Communism posted:

Got to play this with one of the designers or writers at Origins one year and one of the hobbits in the party landed a massive crit with a hucked rock to take out the evil sorceress at the end of the scenario.

The Holy Rock of the Shire as it was dubbed was one of the most memorable parts of the trip.

(:rip: Decipher)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

I feel like a lot of the design decisions that we've to regard in 3e as being ... *ahem* ... stupid, comes with the assumption that the adventures are going to softball players by that much.

Like, rolling 4d6-drop-lowest for stats, and taking Toughness, and being a Fighter and whatnot sounds positively droll these days, but I bet if you were that innocent and were playing these canned adventure paths, you'd be in for the fight of your life.

(or at least until you sat down and read the books for more than a single stretch and actually put something together that even mildly synergizes)
This is a key problem with 3E - the way that a character's level tells you almost nothing about how capable they are. An adventure for 8th level characters can be either a challenge or a complete cakewalk depending on how much effort the players have put into charop. A mixed party of rogues and monks and fighters and clerics and wizards is a completely different kettle of fish than a party of spellcasters with carefully chosen prestige classes, metamagic feats, and magic items. Prepack modules should say "For a party of 12th level characters, or like 9th or even 8th level if your players are good at charop". And it was a problem that got worse over time (as more and more feats/PrCs/spells/magic items got published and created more possible minmax imbalances to exploit).

All of which made 3E's already-wobbly encounter math completely useless.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

FMguru posted:

This is a key problem with 3E - the way that a character's level tells you almost nothing about how capable they are. An adventure for 8th level characters can be either a challenge or a complete cakewalk depending on how much effort the players have put into charop.

To be fair, that could happen in 4e as well

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Andrast posted:

To be fair, that could happen in 4e as well

While I don't disagree, I daresay the range was tighter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Yeah I think folks are misdiagnosing the problem a little. The problem isn't that crunch-heavy RPGs have the potential for mastery. The problem is making the wrong assumptions about whether you're using it or not, and a host of related RPG design problems that make correcting a lack of mastery incredibly (and unnecessarily) painful.

My ideal response would be to make adventures designed for optimized characters, but you'd also need to:
    - Either make respecs a thing, or design characters to be easy-to-generate and disposable
    - Balance classes and internal class options well enough that most people can find something strong that they like
    - Cultivate at atmosphere where designing good characters is both signposted and encouraged, instead of treating players like assholes for doing what the game incentivizes them to do

This would take a combined effort of devs/publishers and community, and it emphatically wouldn't be a game for everyone, especially if you went the "disposable characters" route. But it'd be better at what D&D tries to do than D&D.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 17, 2017

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

paradoxGentleman posted:

I don't think we have a Spellound Kingdom thread, so I guess I'll have to ask here and hope someone who has played it in the past can help me, as I have a question about it. Help would be appreciated.

The manual seems to imply that income doesn't work by history rules; that is to say, the first point you gain doesn't bring your income to 4, allowing you to roll a d4 for it. Which means that the starting noble can't really choose to improve their income with their starting building; they would need at least 4 points to have any mechanical effect, and all the available buildings only produce 1. That feels really limiting and doesn't make a ton of sense.

Speaking of that, what's the starting income of a noble family supposed to be? I couldn't find it in the manual. Is it 0?

I think you're conflating some different concepts. Noble Houses don't start with an income, because an income is something that is generated by buildings - it's an explicit mechanical way of increasing Wealth Level by owning a business empire. Noble Houses, like all organisations, have a Wealth Level - this indeed does start at 0. This represents that the members of the Noble House (you and whatever NPCs you create to populate it) might have their own wealth and funds, but the house in of itself doesn't have a central treasury or bank account. You can increase its wealth level like you would increasing the wealth level for an individual, but there are limits on what organisations can do with WL (there's a section in the organisations chapter about it). Nobles (the class) start at WL4 themselves.

Income generates wealth level by rolling against the doom and getting income each season, but you're right that it doesn't start at d4. That means the first few investments you make generally tick over OK but won't make you a lot of money (unless something happens in the economics of the area to make it unusually profitable). A good example might be that you would need to own a small mine, a family farm, an a market before you start generating income. You'd need some serious investments to actually get a decent return. This means, of course, that the entrenched nobility (with wealth levels) are more or less the only ones who can buy up investments, and so the only ones who earn money via income.

As a player you might be looking at this and going "earning your gold by income seems like it involves a lot of investment, takes a long time and isn't that profitable." You'd be right, which is why you should go out and swash some buckles instead to earn your pennies. Or you should buy a silver mine during a silver shortage, or invest in an inn just before the coronation of a new king. Basically, it's a way of ensuring that investment is generally either a background part of the setting that you can engage with at high levels if you like, or something that comes up during cool story moments.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Antivehicular posted:

Oh, sure. I'm not saying that the PCs have to have a Pyrrhic victory -- if they can successfully get to the end of To Go, they're definitely in a position to get what they want and get away clean. I'm just saying that, if the module's justification for not letting the PCs grab the Cosmic Football is "everyone in the Occult Underground will stab them if they do/only someone with a lot of institutional backing can get this and survive," well, it's still a better and more UA-y story to let them get their moment of power and suffer for it than to have them yield that power to an NPC.

(To be fair, I don't remember if that's the module's justification for not letting the PCs grab the power and run. I don't remember if the module has a justification at all, actually, besides the unstated "this is the story and we're sticking to it." A lot of UA's modules across 2E have some real problems with "this is the cool story/setpiece we wrote and we're not particularly concerned with what the PCs actually do," which is a big problem for the You Did It game line.)

I think it was simpler than that - just that the "prize" for ascending is losing your PC, and exploring the world after their ascension will leave that one player either sitting out or with a ridiculous advantage.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Tales of the Demon Lord has a nice adventure arc that gives you a good overview of the setting and has some interesting moments. I need to go through and make some fan-changes to it, as I think Rob got the encounter math wrong and was putting characters up against crazy challenges for their level.

The Freeport Trilogy is now out, and it has much more sensible encounter design, a cool story and some neat stuff in terms of traps and surprises. It is apparently an adaptation of an existing Freeport adventure line though, so that's something to keep in mind.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Death in Freeport was one of the first (possibly the very first) 3rd-party products for D&D 3e, and formed the core for the Freeport setting, which has since been adapted to a bunch of different system.

The adventure trilogy itself (Death, Terror, Madness) is a solid set of modules to take 3e characters to level ~6, though I didn't mention it because it's only that far.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
apparently there is also a shadow of the demon lord in space adventure coming out that looked really neat

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
So is Starfinder any good? Or bad in any hilarious ways?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Death in Freeport was one of the first (possibly the very first) 3rd-party products for D&D 3e, and formed the core for the Freeport setting, which has since been adapted to a bunch of different system.

The adventure trilogy itself (Death, Terror, Madness) is a solid set of modules to take 3e characters to level ~6, though I didn't mention it because it's only that far.
Death in Freeport was the first 3rd party adventure for 3e, yes. It was released at the same GenCon as 3e.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

hyphz posted:

So is Starfinder any good? Or bad in any hilarious ways?

apparently skill DCs get stupid high at high levels

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Depending on how you define the word "big", 3.5 also had Red Hand of Doom which spanned 6 through 12.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I played a bit in a Pathfinder version of this before that group broke up due to people moving. I liked the story, but mechanically it felt very much like 4e was the main consideration with the Pathfinder version being a kinda shoddy port (and consequently made me wish I wasn't the only one in that group that liked 4e). Fairly early on we found a wand that granted +1 to spell DCs, which is vaguely the same as a +1 wand in 4e, but a hell of a lot stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think most multi system modules suffer from a problem of really only having been built for one system to begin with, and then the other ports are just eyeballed and it's not as good

• Locked thread