Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Surprised Sydney are so high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I'm surprised at GWS.

Sure they are good now, and last year was a huge turning point in their history, (How can anyone watch that final against the dogs and not want to be a footy fan?), but I would be surprised if they had 20,000 actual fans, let alone paid members.

I reckon they are doing the old Hawthorn trick of signing cats, dogs, and teddy bears up for memberships.

Although this could very clearly be my Victorian bias showing.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

All of those numbers have been inflated by 1 and 3 game memberships that clubs now sell, as opposed to 2005 when they really only sold 11 game memberships

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

A lot of the GWS supporters will be fans of other teams now living in Canberra or Sydney imo.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

NTRabbit posted:

All of those numbers have been inflated by 1 and 3 game memberships that clubs now sell, as opposed to 2005 when they really only sold 11 game memberships

Revenue from member ships would be a more interesting figure I think.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

NTRabbit posted:

Would a 1 game membership be any cheaper than buying a normal ticket?

I mean sure, you get the bragging rights of saying you are a member, and maybe even get guaranteed entry to a big sell out game, but apart from that I couldn't see the point in getting one.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BrigadierSensible posted:

Would a 1 game membership be any cheaper than buying a normal ticket?

I mean sure, you get the bragging rights of saying you are a member, and maybe even get guaranteed entry to a big sell out game, but apart from that I couldn't see the point in getting one.

It is literally just a single game ticket that a club wearing black and white started adding to their membership count a few years ago, though I think someone in AFL house told them to stop being daft, and they don't do it anymore. 3 game is the smallest any club does I believe.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Numbers are whatever game membership (so no streaming/international/memberpack/pet membership) package worth over $50aud. So basically 3 game and upwards.

GWS members would be somewhat inflated by Sydney fans buying 3game memberships securing guaranteed seats for the derby, but not inflated by 10,000 or anything like that.

Rumour is though that Collingwood gave all their netball members afl memberships to inflate numbers too, because technically it is a paid membership (for another sport) while ~7000 AFLW memberships do count, they don't really change the numbers much and are more support packs at the moment until AFLW games become ticketed.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
James Kelly has retired, adding to the list of gun players making an exodus this year. Brent Stanton will probably retire as well, probably not on the same level as some of the other retirees but he's made it to 250 games so he's certainly no slouch.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The last time Melbourne and Richmond were in the same finals series, Hitler was sieging Leningrad.

(Someone on reddit said 1941 and I CBF fact checking them)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

The last time Melbourne and Richmond were in the same finals series, Hitler was sieging Leningrad.

What coincidental timing their dual return has

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Why do people keep putting mark Thompson up to talk football when he's admitted he hates the game now and quite clearly doesn't actually watch the games he is asked about

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Solemn Sloth posted:

Why do people keep putting mark Thompson up to talk football when he's admitted he hates the game now and quite clearly doesn't actually watch the games he is asked about

Even then he's still better than 90% of the people in the AFL media.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
He also appears to have some sort of brain problem and doesn't seem to be able to track conversations properly

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

thepokey posted:

Watson
Hodge
Riewoldt
Bob Murphy
Gibson
Mitchell
Stevie J

That's one hell of a list of big name retirees this year .. throw in the possibilities of Morris, Kelly, McVeigh, Jack, Montagna, Petrie, maybe even people like GAJ and Sandilands aren't out of the question.

That would have to be the biggest possible list, or at least biggest in star power since ... 2007? (Hird, Buckley, Grant, Ruccito, Kouta, Darcy, Archer, Lappin, Whitnall, Licuria, Clement, Hamill, Camporeale, Chris Johnson, Pickett, Chris Scott, Wakelin, Montgomery etc.)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-16/ranking-the-afls-retiring-class-of-2017/8812210

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

He also appears to have some sort of brain problem and doesn't seem to be able to track conversations properly

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
I've gotten 5 game memberships forever as a country member - actually interstate so potentially I could go in the ballot for the away games against Sydney/GWS but I never do (because I've spent enough of my life up there thanks).

Shmoses posted:

Has he done any media at all in his career? I can't recall much if any
I think he's popped up here and there. But he's one of these guys who has a few irons in the fire like that cafe he's got so he could do media or he could do something else.

I think we'll still see a bit of Bob as well, maybe more as a writer.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Solemn Sloth posted:

That sort of poo poo blows my mind. A bit like how the big 4 clubs have only ever all appeared in finals together 2 times in 110 years (1972 & 1973). Even crazier then its been a final 8 for 24 years.

boy undead
Nov 11, 2006

time to get prolific with
the whiz kid
Billings re-signed until 2019. Phew.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Shmoses posted:

Has he done any media at all in his career? I can't recall much if any

He does, or at least did, a bunch of media for the Hawks.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Apparently the Brisbane Lions are interested in Charlie Cameron, and:

a. Good taste, he owns

b. Hands off, I will cut you.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Give BUMP all the logies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTQnHAS79Co

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Dees have named Hogan this week. Really doesn't sound like a great idea.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

snaeksikn posted:

Hawks have named Jaeger this week. Really doesn't sound like a great idea.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Darn. Really thought we'd try to keep Jaeger in the VFL for the rest of the year so he could play finals.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Same. We need a lot more to go right than just us winning the next two to make finals in the afl. I really think he'd be better off playing vfl for the next few weeks instead of two afl games on the hard Etihad surface. But I'm not the coach!!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

snaeksikn posted:

Dees have named Hogan this week. Really doesn't sound like a great idea.

Two weeks off with a broken collarbone, what the gently caress

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Solemn Sloth posted:

Two weeks off with a broken collarbone, what the gently caress

Dale Morris is back from his fractured forearm also

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jack Viney taking a week off with his foot which is probably a good thing, rather have him ready to go week 1 of finals if we make it (and if we don't beat Brisbane and Collingwood without him finals would be pointless anyway)

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUBmwi7EdY4

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-08-17/we-created-a-mini-football-club

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

realbez posted:

Same. We need a lot more to go right than just us winning the next two to make finals in the afl. I really think he'd be better off playing vfl for the next few weeks instead of two afl games on the hard Etihad surface. But I'm not the coach!!

I didn't like it, but now I like it.

Give him a run in the proper stuff, see how the knees go after three straight weeks of footy then rest, reduce the risk of some VFL dirtbag sniping another year off his career. They were targeting him like crazy last week.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:

how does drug testing miss meth, it stays in your system for like a week straight

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

:stare:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

That was not what I was expecting

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

spamman posted:

I didn't like it, but now I like it.

Give him a run in the proper stuff, see how the knees go after three straight weeks of footy then rest, reduce the risk of some VFL dirtbag sniping another year off his career. They were targeting him like crazy last week.

I like it now too.

Edit: that Yarran video, wow.

realbez fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 17, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
How has that video not been talked about until now? It was uploaded in May!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

snaeksikn posted:

how does drug testing miss meth, it stays in your system for like a week straight

I'm assuming he started after he left Carlton? Only real explanation I can get, was at richmond and requested leave, started drugs (other than weed) but I don't know.

Yarran and Garlett seemed less happy and motivated/good once Betts left, those three were like brothers and obviously cared for eachother. Carlton helped Eddie learn to read and write at the time.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
The whole born-again christian thing is kind of weird but if it makes him happy and keeps him off meth, well then good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

realbez posted:

How has that video not been talked about until now? It was uploaded in May!

You can set videos to private. Almost certainly the case here.

• Locked thread