Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Nah, the main product of a café is still food. Otherwise it's just a coffee shop.

poo poo the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Labels don't actually matter. There is a definite non-zero percentage of places that call themselves "grills" for example that have no grill, or steakhouses that only have 2 options for steak, or bistros that don't even know what the word means. If you asked most people the definition between a cafe and a coffee shop I bet most people would say "one's european".

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Or they think it's just short for cafeteria.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffeehouse

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Motion to uniformly call every place that serves food a "greasy spoon".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Aramek posted:

Motion to uniformly call every place that serves food a "greasy spoon".

Seconded. Ordering scrambled eggs by saying "wreck em" is awesome and I'd like to be able to do it everywhere.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Dude, let's go to a Three Michelin Star greasy spoon.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I looked up slophouse cause for some reason I thought that was another name for a cheap diner but apparently it's the name of some Italian restaurant in Philly https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60795-d493110-r326077530-Triangle_Tavern-Philadelphia_Pennsylvania.html and I enjoyed this quote

quote:

Food is old, service is bad, thet are trying to coast off the "name". Service was bad, asked for Angel hair pasta, the waitress said, I never heard of it. I wanted to used the restroom, they do not have a toilet

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

In their defense, if it's not on the menu (which presumably it wasn't) it makes you a bad customer to ask for it. Not having a toilet is pretty indefensible though.

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
i miss diners

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Das Boo posted:

I like looking at anime intros because that's typically where half the show's budget is. When Japanese animation actually has money behind it, they really go all out on fluid, dynamic movement and angles that Western animation won't touch unless it's like, The Thief and the Cobbler, where trippy animation's the whole point. Studios Madhouse and 4°C are particularly good when they severely distort models to emphasize motion.

Of course the content's typically poo poo, but I admire the technical execution and wish we would be more adventurous with our bloated animation budgets in the West. :sigh:

This reminds me of watching Akira which just blew me out of the water compared to the anime animation I was familiar with. I don't know my technical language, but what struck me was the way things moved.

For lack of a better word it was like they had "weight", like there was a real sense of motion and mass and I don't know what you call that or how it was achieved exactly but it was loving dope.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the thing is that most Western animation is about superheroes, or comedy or silly stuff. Western animators don't really need to be as good at depicting the physical interactions of things.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I mean I think that's true of anime most of the time too. I suspect it's a time and budget thing and that whatever they're doing to create that effect takes too much time and effort to be worth it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Das Boo posted:

:allears:

I know a bunch of idiots hate on 4°C because their designs aren't traditionally pretty, but I feel safe calling them idiots because they're objectively wrong about the studio's quality. Japanese animation has an issue with background design where it's often stagnant and and practical, with little relation to the character design other than a time and place. Like with your selection, you can see the stylistic impression the background designs share with their characters: Everything's a little off-kilter and funhouse-y, architecture's a little unusual and everything's brimming with urban style and decay. There's a gorgeous, disastrous congruence between them that isn't cherry blossoms and dainty blushing faces. It's better than that. It's not perfectly pretty, and therefore it's interesting.

I'm gushing to the choir, but good design just make me so happy. Tekkonkinkreet's is just beautifully cohesive, and that's to say nothing of the animation. They whip poo poo around the screen like liquid.

Anyone who hates on 4°C is literally insane to me because they're so much more visually rich and pleasing to the eye than pretty much anything else out there. I got the manga for my birthday and it was an edition released after the film and there's a really cool interview/foreword by the writer and director both of whom are French I think, very interesting stuff. They ask some good questions like "who is the film actually about, White, Black, Kimura, none of them?"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The only good anime is Grave of the Fireflies......and maybe Ninja Scroll.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

I know Studio 4°C because they made this cool part for an episode of Gumball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvks9zNnNHc

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Anime... is for kids. (Especially whatever anime you will try to counter that with. That one is the most for-kids anime in the world, actually.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If anyone can hit me up with a VHS set of Ulysses 31 though I'll watch it because I never saw how the loving story ended when I was a kid. I don't know if they even aired it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

Anime... is for kids. (Especially whatever anime you will try to counter that with. That one is the most for-kids anime in the world, actually.)

It's also dumb and bad garbage for weeaboos

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You: Oh I like some anime I guess

Me, an Intellectual: When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childho-

bradzilla posted:

Daniel Bryan had probably 8 years of indie wrestling under his belt by the time he came to WWE in 2010. Bryan is also insane and would give 110% to every match, even meaningless house show matches the dude would just go, not giving a poo poo about wrecking his body. When he arrived in WWE he also already had numerous concussions. Even though they switched to PG in 2008, all that really did was reduce blading and unprotected chair shots. An unprotected chair shot being a chair shot straight to the head without blocking. Wrestling is still very physical and they take tons of bumps. The thing about WWE is they are very weird about how their talent gets over. Daniel Bryan got over of his own volition by being one of the best wrestlers in the world and having a natural charisma that just draws people to him. His Yes chant got so popular that it spread to other sports. WWE was forced to push him to the main event of WM30. A month later, he was forced to vacate the title due to a neck injury. He got surgery, rehabbed, and returned around January of 2015. To give you an idea of how crazy Bryan is, he asked Luke Harper to suplex him and drop him on his neck to "test it out."

He was the latest victim in the Quest To Get Roman Over, jobbing clean at Fastlane. He was then put in a multi-man ladder match at WM31 and won the IC title. A week later, in a match with Sheamus, Sheamus botched the Brogue kick(I think?) and concussed Bryan. Bryan again vacated the belt and left. He was given a new kind of brain test, which revealed that his brain is basically mush. He had lesions on his brain. He came back in 2016 and announced his retirement. Bryan being insane, has gotten many more opinions on his health, and has been openly campaigning to return to the ring, but WWE will not clear him to wrestle. He will probably go to Japan to wrestle when his contract with WWE is up in late 2018.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

bradzilla posted:

It's also dumb and bad garbage for weeaboos

Why should I care :shrug:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

EmmyOk posted:

Me, an Intellectual: When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childho-

Wrestling and anime are both really dumb and really cool

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Liking wrestling is arguably worse/more embarrassing than liking anime.

e: although it is slightly less weird to jerk off to it than anime

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I've no problem with someone liking or hating both or just liking one but it's funny when someone is like "haha this is for babies and weebs not like wrestling".

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I have the answer to everything.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Japan was nuked, therefore if you don't like anime you like nuclear annihilation

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Wrestling is a celebration of bad acting and absurdism, it is the height of our culture

I'll post ring of honor's Dalton Castle if I can find good youtube video of him

EvenWorseOpinions has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Aug 17, 2017

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Wrestling is a celebration of bad acting and absurdism, it is the height of our culture

I wouldn't mind it so much if the fans (at least the ones I've known) weren't so drat serious about the whole thing, it's offputting. Like throwing a tantrum/crying when their favorite guy loses level of serious.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Yeah I can't think of a more ridiculous comparison to taking wrestling seriously than taking wrestling seriously.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's fine to like dumb things, and even get in srs bznz conversations about them. Being a grown up means realizing that if you want to nerd out about GoT or wrestling or whatever, you do it with fellow fans and not hapless bystanders.

If you love the deep lore of the Dora the Explorer universe, you do you, buddy.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

hawowanlawow posted:

Japan was nuked, therefore if you don't like anime you like nuclear annihilation

I'm a Posadist

MizPiz has a new favorite as of 15:57 on Aug 17, 2017

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I watched both Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell for the first time recently. They were both pretty dope.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Blue Star posted:

I watched both Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell for the first time recently. They were both pretty dope.

Ninja Scroll is good. I like the blind ninja that dies because he's blind. Ultimately his biggest weakness was his.....biggest weakness.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

lmfao, you got super butthurt that I called anime bad so you searched my post history

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
guys, we can all agree that anime is blood.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

bradzilla posted:

lmfao, you got super butthurt that I called anime bad so you searched my post history

It is one button click to see what someone has posted and it was on your second page of posts but okay. I am very mad right now, let me just tell you.

e: oh actually your first page of posts lol

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

EmmyOk posted:

It is one button click to see what someone has posted and it was on your second page of posts but okay. I am very mad right now, let me just tell you.

I didn't even direct my comment at you, yet you were apparently offended enough to spend the time looking through my posts to burn me. So yeah, I think you're mad.

also, I freely admit wrestling is dumb and bad too

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Sure if you like, I've just found that normally when someone calls something "for kids" or w/e they're usually earnestly posting about wrestling elsewhere. It's fine to think anime is for babies my dude.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It's literally the same nerd reaction every time certain things get made fun of

anime, pop music, my little pony

they see someone casually make fun of something, then respond with some angry bullshit, then play the innocent "who is mad???? why cant you just let people have opinions!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

bradzilla posted:

I didn't even direct my comment at you, yet you were apparently offended enough to spend the time looking through my posts to burn me. So yeah, I think you're mad.

also, I freely admit wrestling is dumb and bad too

I think it's less being mad and searching through your post history for the one little thing you said wrong several years ago and more "this guy sounds like an idiot, I bet there's something on the first page of his post history that's even dumber than what he just said right now". And, well, it turns out they were right.