Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Skarsnik posted:

I don't really use the bar enough for it to bother me either way to be honest
It sits exactly where I start a scroll down gesture from, which is annoying. It goes away after you scroll once but scrolling back up at all makes it reappear. So I keep hitting it and not realising it has come back and so on, even without wanting to use the bar at all. You also cannot swipe up to show the tab switcher like you could (swipe down) on the old one so now I have to hit the button precisely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mister Facetious posted:

LG G6:

- Feels great due to narrow bezels and slightly curved back; build quality seems rock solid stiff, but it's very smooth, and slippery as Hell. Grip tape highly recommended.
- A (Spigen) case pushes the dimensions to PIxel XL level, and I can only partly use it one handed, but I sure as poo poo ain't running an all glass phone without one.
- Not a power user, but I run with a live wallpaper, GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth on; unless I'm streaming music and browsing all day, it takes real effort to get it below half.
- UI has three different menu skins; one like iPhone (no app drawer), one like Marshmallow (app drawer button, you don't slide up for it), and a feature phone skin for luddites.
- You can't uninstall the bloat apps, but you can disable and/or hide them. Facebook, Instagram, Evernote, plus proprietary/redundant LG apps and the G-Suite of stuff
- If you like options, this is the phone you've been waiting for; Settings just has menu upon nested menu of configurables for your inner OCD :spergin: It's almost like it comes with Nova, but doesn't.
- Has additional soft keys, like the ability to open notifications, since the phone is too tall to slide it down from the top one-handed.
- Runs apps like any other phone since the N5. I mean, it's Android for Christ's sake; grab some skins and themes, and make it however you like.
- Has a Snapdragon 821 instead of the 835, but I don't think phones have needed the extra horsepower (outside of the GPU) since my N5.

Has it started to boot loop yet?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

hooah posted:

:wtf: the Google app updated and now my Now cards can't be swiped away! I have to use the menu on each one. This is pretty crappy.

Yeah not swiping is definitely messing with me

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
My weather card is at the bottom now. Google, this is affecting production. :smithcloud:

(Still have weather on the home screen anyway, it being a goodphone and all)

e; Aw man, all the upcoming stuff (schedule, flights, etc) is buried behind a tiny button now, too.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 17, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

This is related to my earlier question: how cheap are cell phones in Europe compared to North America? I'm heading to France next week, and with the way European SIM cards work, I'm wondering if buying a reliable phone there with a French SIM card, then getting the plan transferred here.

How stupid is this option?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

mojo1701a posted:

This is related to my earlier question: how cheap are cell phones in Europe compared to North America? I'm heading to France next week, and with the way European SIM cards work, I'm wondering if buying a reliable phone there with a French SIM card, then getting the plan transferred here.

If you already have a phone with a GSM antenna (i.e. not purpose built for Verizon or Sprint) you should be able to just get a temporary SIM card and be fine while overseas.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

DeathSandwich posted:

If you already have a phone with a GSM antenna (i.e. not purpose built for Verizon or Sprint) you should be able to just get a temporary SIM card and be fine while overseas.

Oh, I know that. I did it last year. I'm looking at getting a new phone anyway, and was wondering if it'd be stupid or not to just import it with me and switch my old phone to that one.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

Oh, I know that. I did it last year. I'm looking at getting a new phone anyway, and was wondering if it'd be stupid or not to just import it with me and switch my old phone to that one.

Probably a bit stupid, prices are usually higher and you'd be screwed for warranty etc. You can browse some prices here: [url]http://www.priceminister.com/s/android?nav=Tel-PDA_Telephones-mobiles#xtatc=PUB-[fonc]-[Header]-[Tel-PDA]-[TelephonieMobile]-[Smartphone_Android]-[]-[][/url] But I don't know if they are representative for what you'd get in a street store in Paris.

e: jesus french urls, go here http://www.priceminister.com

Ola fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 17, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Isn't the general rule of thumb for electronics in Europe that the number is the same but the price is in Euros?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Isn't the general rule of thumb for electronics in Europe that the number is the same but the price is in Euros?

Yes, also keep in mind that European prices include VAT which is often around 20%.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

mojo1701a posted:

The Moto G5 Plus will be the equivalent of 330 USD there. It'll come with 3GB/32GB and nfc and a euro type power plug but no compass or ads-sponsored option.

This is reasonably representative for the price ratios in general, ie. not cheaper at all.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Or lower specced and/or more expensive, yes. Prices all taxes included though and warranty is 2 years minimum for electronics.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Taffer posted:

We have some pretty cool murals here. This area of the city was a trash heap 10 years ago but got a lot better thanks to some artsy folks and a few businesses. I wish that panorama had also included this shot, since it's iconic.

But I won't spam any more pictures. I just really like the pixel camera. Can't wait to snap some shots of this area during the eclipse next week. :woop:
I say keep posting pics, they are more interesting than SD card chat

The pixel camera is pretty great on the OP5

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Don Lapre posted:

Has it started to boot loop yet?

Not yet. I even checked the developer options and everything! :v:

Syrinxx posted:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

The pixel camera is pretty great on the OP5

I'm sure the OP5 can take good pictures with the pixel camera, but that doesn't seem like a very special picture to me.

I mean, taking pictures with plenty of light is something lots of cameras can do and everything below the skyline in that picture is basically a dark blob.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Flipperwaldt posted:

The Moto G5 Plus will be the equivalent of 330 USD there. It'll come with 3GB/32GB and nfc and a euro type power plug but no compass or ads-sponsored option.

This is reasonably representative for the price ratios in general, ie. not cheaper at all.
Or lower specced and/or more expensive, yes. Prices all taxes included though and warranty is 2 years minimum for electronics.

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I just started looking on Amazon.ca, which I can't believe I never considered. At least with my Visa, I get 2% cashback on purchases there. I might still just say "gently caress it" and go to Best Buy just so I can get it now, but it's still great I got some recommendations, thanks!

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Taffer posted:

We have some pretty cool murals here. This area of the city was a trash heap 10 years ago but got a lot better thanks to some artsy folks and a few businesses. I wish that panorama had also included this shot, since it's iconic.

But I won't spam any more pictures. I just really like the pixel camera. Can't wait to snap some shots of this area during the eclipse next week. :woop:

Please post more pictures, especially from the Liberty memorial plaza.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Thermopyle posted:

I'm sure the OP5 can take good pictures with the pixel camera, but that doesn't seem like a very special picture to me.

I mean, taking pictures with plenty of light is something lots of cameras can do and everything below the skyline in that picture is basically a dark blob.
Yeah the imgur upload shrunk it down to 930px for some reason and it's not a truly OMG photo, but generally the hdr+ from the pixel camera with the op5 sensors have given some good results.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Andy Rubin has basically pledged to match Google's support structure. Major for 2 years, monthly security for 3. It remains to be seen though how quickly they get those major updates out though.

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/08/17/essential-phone-will-get-major-os-updates-2-years-monthly-security-patches-3/

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The more I hear about the essential phone, the more I like it. I am so burned out on my 10 years of iphones that I'm ready to jump ship. Just have to wait until my work phone is up for renewal.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

V30 looking pretty good:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/...eaked-beauty%2F

Official reveal end of the month.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

V30 looking pretty good:

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/...eaked-beauty%2F

Official reveal end of the month.

Serious question: how is this different from the G6? Are the G and V lines just both flagships that get released 6 months apart?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
RE: Panoramas from Google Photos and the Pixel camera

Holy smokes that's nice. I can't even tell where it's stitching them together. I'm going on vacation on Saturday and I can't wait to give mine some use.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

TheWevel posted:

The more I hear about the essential phone, the more I like it. I am so burned out on my 10 years of iphones that I'm ready to jump ship. Just have to wait until my work phone is up for renewal.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but at the same time I'm so infatuated with the Pixel it's hard to look elsewhere.

I'm hoping they knock it out of the park so that it isn't a "downgrade" to get one rather than the normal Pixel 2.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
It'll be interesting to see how far they customize the OS. Obviously the camera app is a custom job, as well as at least some of the launcher to accommodate the funky status bar. Hopefully there's not much more than that that's been hosed with.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mogomra posted:

Holy smokes that's nice. I can't even tell where it's stitching them together. I'm going on vacation on Saturday and I can't wait to give mine some use.

I was at a music festival on the weekend and took this on my Pixel XL

It's indeed fantastic and Google Photos is their best product, agreed.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

:eyepop:

RVProfootballer posted:

Serious question: how is this different from the G6? Are the G and V lines just both flagships that get released 6 months apart?

The V series is the phablet phone (theoretically) meant to compete with the Note series.
The V20 was 5.7" to the G5's 5.2/3.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

CLAM DOWN posted:

I was at a music festival on the weekend and took this on my Pixel XL

It's indeed fantastic and Google Photos is their best product, agreed.

That guy on the right is legless

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

loving :laffo: I didn't notice that, I was looking for that kind of thing in that image too

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

CLAM DOWN is from the future and he's screwing up the timeline for that jabroni

Rude

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mogomra posted:

Keep in mind that you want to take the first picture in the middle of the panorama, it expects that you are starting from the middle.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Here's a better panorama imo, this was taken on a Nexus 6 believe it or not

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

Here's a better panorama imo, this was taken on a Nexus 6 believe it or not

Is this The Last Jedi?

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

Looks like Milford sound tbh

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Pixel panorama indeed owns. Torch Lake yesterday:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SuperiorColliculus posted:

Looks like Milford sound tbh

It is! New Zealand is gorgeous, and resulted in some other amazing panoramas of mine thanks to Google Photos and my trusty old Nexus 6

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

I took this with my Pixel in the back of Hamilton Pool a few weeks ago:

And here's a couple of my favorite pics from our trip to Tahoe in late February:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The horizon isn't level in that last one and my ocd is being massively triggered at the moment irl

e: here, it's a very nice picture so I could not let this stand also I was in physical pain

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 17, 2017

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Well then my plan worked perfectly. (Not sure how I never noticed that before.)

SuperiorColliculus
Oct 31, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

The horizon isn't level in that last one and my ocd is being massively triggered at the moment irl

e: here, it's a very nice picture so I could not let this stand also I was in physical pain

Is this lake tekapo?

/E I actually read the post and I see it's Tahoe (where I've also been!) Sad!

I sometimes miss NZ, but every time I go home I realise again that it's a Podunk country with no jobs.

Nice scenery though.

On topic: pixel camera seems good and I really hope the 2xl is as good or better.

SuperiorColliculus fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like the Nokia 8 excitement is moot for most of this thread anyways since the 8 won't be coming to the US.

http://phandroid.com/2017/08/17/nokia-8-us-launch/amp/