Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

EssOEss posted:

Yeah the workaround is pretty easy: install non-LTSB Windows.

It'll be out of beta in the next major release. So I guess he'll be able to use it by 2020 if he sticks to LTSB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Am I going to be able to update Windows XP computers to Windows 7 with SCCM 1702? I'm adding an install.wim they had of Windows 7 and it's not even getting any image information (version architecture etc. is empty) and the Task Sequence throws an error when opening install.wim. Is there a procedure I should follow? I bet this is related to the ADK version.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

That is the most enterprise question I've ever read

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Yes, you don't want to know. It's frustrating, but there's nothing I can do.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

orange sky posted:

Am I going to be able to update Windows XP computers to Windows 7 with SCCM 1702? I'm adding an install.wim they had of Windows 7 and it's not even getting any image information (version architecture etc. is empty) and the Task Sequence throws an error when opening install.wim. Is there a procedure I should follow? I bet this is related to the ADK version.

Upgrade? I don't think that's ever worked well until Windows 10 was released, and even that process is iffy sometimes. XP to 7? Might as well flatten and re-install.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Jeoh posted:

Upgrade? I don't think that's ever worked well until Windows 10 was released, and even that process is iffy sometimes. XP to 7? Might as well flatten and re-install.

It's a format/install 7 with USMT, that's why I said upgrade. I don't even know where to start with this poo poo.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

orange sky posted:

An XP to 7 upgrade would put you on 32 bit 7 which is limited in a lot of ways. For Vista and beyond the 64 bit version is the correct one to run, and you can't "upgrade" between them so you have to do a fresh install. edit: above post knocks out this part

Also think about the hardware involved. I can't think of much which would have been around early enough to end up with XP but still be worth putting real time in to rather than just replacing the whole thing.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

wolrah posted:

An XP to 7 upgrade would put you on 32 bit 7 which is limited in a lot of ways. For Vista and beyond the 64 bit version is the correct one to run, and you can't "upgrade" between them so you have to do a fresh install.

Also think about the hardware involved. I can't think of much which would have been around early enough to end up with XP but still be worth putting real time in to rather than just replacing the whole thing.

If I had any power in deciding this, I wouldn't be in this situation. Any arguments you might use right now, I've used endless times. It's a nationwide public administration institution that publicly got a huge scare with WannaCry and wants to immediately terminate all XP use - but they have no drivers for the devices they use that support W10. So, 7 it is for these computers!

Also, this is gonna use an image (an ISO) that they previously built on their W7 deployment. A colleague of mine installed that ISO on a VM, captured it into a WIM and now we got that WIM and can't do poo poo because we can't mount it in dism and can't add it to SCCM OS images. Everything worked on his lab, however, so, it's a mistery?

E: Yeah it's still gonna be 32 bit cause that's the image that they have and want to distribute.

Consultant life yo

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If dism can't open the image, it sounds like they gave you a broken image.

E: oh you're colleague made the image? Sounds like they didn't do that right. If they're able to do it in their lab you need to figure out what's different between the prod environment and the lab.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

orange sky posted:

If I had any power in deciding this, I wouldn't be in this situation. Any arguments you might use right now, I've used endless times. It's a nationwide public administration institution that publicly got a huge scare with WannaCry and wants to immediately terminate all XP use - but they have no drivers for the devices they use that support W10. So, 7 it is for these computers!

Well, I guess that makes some sense. 32 bit Win 7 at least has a chance of being able to use XP drivers, 64 bit Win 7 definitely can't.

At least some XP is being eliminated...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

orange sky posted:

Also, this is gonna use an image (an ISO) that they previously built on their W7 deployment. A colleague of mine installed that ISO on a VM, captured it into a WIM and now we got that WIM and can't do poo poo because we can't mount it in dism and can't add it to SCCM OS images. Everything worked on his lab, however, so, it's a mistery?

E: Yeah it's still gonna be 32 bit cause that's the image that they have and want to distribute.

Consultant life yo

Well the process is broken. The person who makes the imagine should not be in the position to hand it off and say "good luck". I couldn't imagine being in a position where I make imagine but don't distribute them myself. I assume you are trying to use usmt in this process right?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

oh god I killed the wrong process id with stop-process, everything is on fire

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hahaha, those days are the best.

About a month ago a jr. guy offlined the wrong LUN. That was fun.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

We had a doozy a few years ago.

We were having problems with our backup to disk systems. We were migrating off tape and my boss was being a cheap-rear end and hadn't cleared the money for the second site yet so it was the only thing we had and it was buggy as hell. Support told my coworker to do a full un-install/re-install and one of the unavoidable Y/N dialogs in the installer is if you want to delete the disk repository instead of an optional checkbox in a window somewhere with a confirm. I'm not sure if it was confusion or there was an actual bug in the installer script but it ended with my coworker deleting hundreds of TB of backup data in a second.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Turns out my colleague had mounted the wim in his lab with dism to check its contents and forgot to unmount it before copying it to the external HD. We got a clean one and it worked :)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Is there any way to elevate something like PowerShell to local system without psexec?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is there any way to elevate something like PowerShell to local system without psexec?
You don't need to run an interactive PowerShell session as SYSTEM.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

You don't need to run an interactive PowerShell session as SYSTEM.

Yup, it was more out of curiosity/for interest's sake.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The old trick for a system console was to create a scheduled task as system to run the cmd/powershell process with the interactive mode flag set. You can also use local group policy to execute a script as system during startup/shutdown if you know what command you're trying to fire off.

But yeah, psexec is the normal method.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Not sure if this is the right place to ask but, my company is looking to set up some sort of "Windows 10 Desktop on Demand" environment in the cloud. We basically want the ability to stand up about 100 computers with our essential applications in an inclement weather situation like a snow storm that will allow our call center employees to work from home. Afterwards just shut them down and delete the instances. We're already running in Azure but the options are limited to Citrix XenDesktop which has a monthly charge and pretty convoluted pricing. AWS instancing looks like an option but can't seem to find any documentation that doesn't lead to Amazon Workstation services which is monthly and persistent profiles. Has anyone stood up something like this?

We've already thought of giving out cheap laptops with VPN but our accounting department isn't too hot on the idea of buying 100 laptops to keep on standby and only be used a few times a year.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MS are really dragging their heels over the licensing that would allow cloud providers to offer Windows client instances in a VDI-type environment, so everything is RDS at the moment - but RDS CALs can't be acquired through SPLA so you're going to front the cost of those.

Amazon WorkSpaces has an hourly billing option, which is probably your best bet if you have to go cloud. I'd price up a couple of beefy RDS servers with a load of cores, tons of RAM and flash and see what the cost of co-lo is for that as well.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 30, 2017

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

MS are really dragging their heels over the licensing that would allow cloud providers to offer Windows client instances in a VDI-type environment, so everything is RDS at the moment - but RDS CALs can't be acquired through SPLA so you're going to front the cost of those.

Amazon WorkSpaces has an hourly billing option, which is probably your best bet if you have to go cloud. I'd price up a couple of beefy RDS servers with a load of cores, tons of RAM and flash and see what the cost of co-lo is for that as well.

It's really frustrating that on demand services are limited to server level functions only but I guess they need to make their partners at Citrix and VMware happy when it comes to desktop services. My boss, who I would consider an Azure wizard was blown away that we couldn't scale a Win10 workstation environment on the fly.

Thanks for the heads up on Amazon Workstation having hourly rates. I could do without the persistent user storage but I'm sure that's something I could work with our DevOps guys to auto delete after shutdown.

I'm considering testing an RDS solution in Azure but it's all going to ride on our super finicky SIP software our call reps use. If it doesn't route calls correctly in Server '16 then there's no way. Also no point if it's not any cheaper then Citrix...

underlig
Sep 13, 2007
What are other people using for SPLA monitoring / information gathering?

We're an MSP and the SPLA-licenses are a big part of our monthly billing, but when me and my colleague started nine months ago there was no documentation on how the reporting was done or calculated. All the old technicians left.

There's a powershell-script that polls our AD for mail-accounts, groups them by customer and spits out a big excel-file. The script have bugs/limitations as we've discovered when we decided one month to do a manual count just to be sure, it also takes my collague hours each month to calculate. (I've been "busy" with other stuff at each months end luckily so i've never actually done the report myself).

We got a huge scolding when that manual verification showed a big difference compared the previous report, we also got a huge one last week when i counted our Datacenter licenses and came up with a number that was half of what had been reported for the last 12 months. I did not know that while Datacenter 2012r2 counts two cpus per license, Datacenter 2012r2 through SPLA counts one cpu per license.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

idk the answer but the small shop thread has a bunch of msp people there so maybe they know. Also /r/msp on reddit (but I think most of the people there are small time msps that probably just track spla manually)

orange sky
May 7, 2007

A Windows 10 "lost" just about every built-in app and the store after an upgrade to 1703. I've tried everything on google, nothing works. Applications just show greyed out and won't open, Store complains about purgecache, and I can't do poo poo. Bah.

pofcorn
May 30, 2011

orange sky posted:

A Windows 10 "lost" just about every built-in app and the store after an upgrade to 1703. I've tried everything on google, nothing works. Applications just show greyed out and won't open, Store complains about purgecache, and I can't do poo poo. Bah.

A blessing in disguise.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Holy poo poo what a mess Intune is. It's kinda-sorta SCCM in the cloud, but with weird restrictions and far less control, especially over updating. It looks like you can only set things to install and then set a max delay of 4 hours, which is ridiculous. What happened to making it available to install, and notifying, but not force install until later?

Also the stupid interface is split amongst two portals, one of which requires Silverlight in 2017.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Microsoft cloud products are half baked?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As soon as they have migrated everything into one portal then there's be a Beta for a new portal and only half the things will be available.

I'm doing stuff with Azure AD / MFA at the moment and it's smeared across three totally different portals.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Also, why the hell is there a post in the outlook for Android blog saying contact management has been improved when it obviously hasn't

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
You can request to have InTune completely in Azure but you have to submit a ticket. Just did that a few days ago. The only really annoying part is if you set up your Apple VPP on the old portal you can't view it in Azure. You have to go to some dedicated website just for your VPP.

I'm really trying to like InTune but every time I think I've got the hang of it they throw up a wall that prevents you from configuring a policy that does what you actually want it to do.

Also their Mac OS support is loving garbage.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Android support, too. Use regular Android and there's no configuration policies for anything

orange sky
May 7, 2007

MAM is legit good though

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd never seriously consider using anything other than Jamf for managing Apple stuff unless people really didn't want to pay for it for some reason. Not sure that a frugal Apple purchaser exists.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
AirWatch isn't bad for Apple management. I'm actually working on possibly switching our MDM over to them from InTune. We would have gone with Jamf but they have zero Android support.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Serfer posted:

Holy poo poo what a mess Intune is. It's kinda-sorta SCCM in the cloud, but with weird restrictions and far less control, especially over updating. It looks like you can only set things to install and then set a max delay of 4 hours, which is ridiculous. What happened to making it available to install, and notifying, but not force install until later?

Also the stupid interface is split amongst two portals, one of which requires Silverlight in 2017.

I guess Windows Update for Business is supposed to be the future for updates? But that seems even more half baked.

I imagine Intune would be half decent for a small shop that does absolutely nothing. I'm excited to get a government job managing their Intune environment in five years. Everything else, pray Windows make a half-decent CSP for the feature your company has been built upon for the last decade?

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy

Serfer posted:

I just looked into Intune last week breifly. I haven't used it, but one thing I noticed with regard to Windows 10 (not sure what you're managing exactly) is that is can be managed as a computer or as a mobile device.

According to at least one person at Microsoft, it is far better to manage it as a mobile device (more features, control, etc.). I can't find the original article I read on it, but I think it was by the same guy who wrote this one.

Anyway, I have no experience with this, and no idea how to solve your problem, but if it's Win 10 and you're managing it as a "Computer" you might want to research the alternative.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Its cool and good for MS to say you can manage w10 with mdm, but it entirely another to actually meaningfully manage a full desktop environment with it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
The biggest problem with MS right now, beyond the obvious poo poo, is the lack of documentation. Or BAD documentation.

Pretty sure MS is going to be pushing InTune + AutoPilot pretty hard in the coming years, so if you're an SCCM shop don't be surprised if you see lots of feature updates directed towards MDM and mobility over all else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

The biggest problem with MS right now, beyond the obvious poo poo, is the lack of documentation. Or BAD documentation.

Pretty sure MS is going to be pushing InTune + AutoPilot pretty hard in the coming years, so if you're an SCCM shop don't be surprised if you see lots of feature updates directed towards MDM and mobility over all else.

Agreed. It's like everything documented is compilation of market-y blog posts. I sort of though about re-writing my own blog title azureinplaintxt.com