Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Count Roland posted:

A friend of mine just moved up north as a doctor, and so is seeing some of this stuff first hand. In a conservation we had about the issue generally, I wondered how much could be done when the home life of many of the kids is a horror story. Crowded, filthy conditions, where drugs and alcohol are everywhere. Then throw in rampant violence and sexual abuse. Even if you had an amazing school system, and a mental health and medical system, and access to resources and extra curricular activities, and anything else-- how could you recover from the initial trauma?

The core problem to me is that their society has just been completely and systematically smashed over generations. The family life is terrible because its all they've ever known; there is no cultural template to work off of. How do you restart this? Can a government even do that from the outside?

The only social force I've thought of that could do this is nationalism. As a political philosophy I'm not a fan, but it does serve to give purpose to people, especially young men with a lot of aggression. It can act as a unifying force, and give pride to a people. But any FN nationalism gets crushed of course, because it would necessarily be hostile to the Canadian government. I just have a hard time imagining a government imposed system "fixing" these problems, however well intentioned.

Is "White dudes need to stop trying to be the saviour and let the First Nations figure this poo poo out" a total cop-out?

My personal thoughts on the whole issue are similar to what you've posted, but I also feel like all the problems among the First Nations stem from well meaning ministries myopically trying to help in the way that's trendy at the time.

The risk is that they don't figure it out and we lose the remainder of cultures we have left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Twiin posted:

I'm not on the Jagmeet train but he is an incredible candidate who will almost certainly lose an election he could have won because of terrible strategic campaign decisions. See also: Olivia.

I don't know who started the Jagmeet = Trudeau meme but they did an incredible job at it, considering that the two people have basically nothing in common except they both have suits that fit.

Singh set himself up for this when he used GQ to launch his campaign, framed himself as a "growth" candidate, and tried to distinguish himself on policy by advocating means-testing for government programs.

leftist heap posted:

You mistake my criticisms of you as criticisms of your opinions and not of the obviously superficial and facile manner in which you come to them, just like all the other bullshit you post.

Ugh. Please don't post like this.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wirth1000 posted:

Yo, holy poo poo, A&W's all day breakfast is loving amazing. [...] but their english muffin egg'n'bacon/sausage is vastly superior to a mcmuffin in every way. Their hashbrowns also taste like real hashbrowns.

I used to think it was too dry but they either changed up the bun somehow or I had bad luck the first couple times because now it's way better. And yeah, much better than the McMuffin.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

McMuffin sucks so bad compared to the A+W setup with the bun. And their hashbrowns are loving huge (and greasy). Still, not as bad as the Burger King croissanwich which is a mess of crap.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm glad that Canadians from coast to coast can come together and agree that the Bacon 'n Egger is the supreme fast food breakfast option, despite having a vaguely racist sounding name. :canada:

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Sometimes you need to get a sausage & egg mcgriddle to remind yourself of what fear and loathing taste like.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I love the fact that A&W breakfast sandwiches have a slice of tomato, makes it feel like I'm eating at something higher class than a lovely fast food chain.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Twiin posted:

I don't know who started the Jagmeet = Trudeau meme but they did an incredible job at it, considering that the two people have basically nothing in common except they both have suits that fit.

If the suit fits, vote it in as prime minister?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

ask for the muffin to be double-toasted, a literally life changing experience

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

McGavin posted:

I'm glad that Canadians from coast to coast can come together and agree that the Bacon 'n Egger is the supreme fast food breakfast option, despite having a vaguely racist sounding name. :canada:

I like a nice breakfast burrito, too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tim Hortons' breakfast sandwiches are worth eating too.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Why are you guys buying breakfast, just make it yourself.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why ever buy prepared food, indeed?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

I don't have a fridge in my car, idiot.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seriously though, for 3 bucks it's worth saving the time it takes to clean up after making my own breakfast sandwich, let alone cooking it before I have to get out the door. I only have maybe 3 a year, but I regret none of them.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Because it's uncanadian to not wait 15 minutes in the tim hortons drivethru every morning of your life

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Risky Bisquick posted:

*father scrambling eggs in a frying pan on a hot plate across his lap while driving*
"Don't worry kids, breakfast will be ready soon! Honey, how long until those smoothies are ready?"
*wife's eyes roll back as she cradles a blender on full blast between her legs*
"Mmm! I'm almost there! Yes, yes, almost finished!"

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If you don't have time to make your own breakfast or lunch you are doing it wrong. As part of adulting, google that millennial failures, you should have a schedule that includes buying the items, and preparing the food you eat yourself. Shocker I know

Subjunctive posted:

Seriously though, for 3 bucks it's worth saving the time it takes to clean up after making my own breakfast sandwich, let alone cooking it before I have to get out the door. I only have maybe 3 a year, but I regret none of them.

You're richy rich so this does not apply obv

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

beep boop cannot comprehend situation where humans may need or opt for fast food. does not compute with rational optimization of finances and nutrition whirr click

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risky Bisquick posted:

You're richy rich so this does not apply obv

Three dollars.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Thats over a grand worth of sandwiches a year. That's actually quite a lot of money for the majority of Canadians.

EDIT: the bowl of instant oatmeal I have in the morning costs far less, is much healthier and actually less time consuming than the sandwich.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes, if you eat it every single day, which nobody has so far proposed. "You should never get a breakfast sandwich because three dollars" is just ridiculous.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

(Don't get me started on how expensive it is to go to a movie every night!)

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Helsing posted:

Singh set himself up for this when he used GQ to launch his campaign, framed himself as a "growth" candidate, and tried to distinguish himself on policy by advocating means-testing for government programs.

Singh checks off enough NDP policy boxes that the claim from some that he's some closeted Liberal comes across as a bit silly to me, though his position of shifting to means-testing for certain programs is a significant enough policy differentiation from the historical NDP positioning that it requires a much deeper explanation than he's given.

quote:

https://www.straight.com/news/943141/ndp-leadership-candidate-jagmeet-singh-gains-traction-bc-showing-hes-warrior-heart
Singh says all the right things for a NDP audience about the delivery of public services. He's for a single-tier health-care system and echoes party cofounder Tommy Douglas in saying he wants to see medicare expanded to include prescription drugs and dental care.

Singh is opposed to public-private partnerships for road, bridge, and transit projects, maintaining that necessary transportation infrastructure should remain in public hands.

Childcare should be universal, in his view, but income transfers, like pensions and the child tax benefit, should only go one way: from rich to poor.

"I believe the wealthy should actually invest more in our society to give to those who don't have it," Singh adds. "I believe in redistribution of wealth. It has to be redistributed from wealthy to those who are not."

I'd appreciate a more policy wonky explanation of why he thinks universality is not the best approach for certain programs. Unfortunately I doubt I'm going to get a sufficiently deep explanation before the vote, but hey here's a big fluffy Macleans article about the way he dresses.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I go through a drive-through every time I drive to Winnipeg or the Cottage which is like twice a month maybe? Other than that I eat a custom home prepared egg white, turkey bacon and cheese sandwich every morning along with 49 slices of avocado toast.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I don't care what food tastes like so my breakfast consists of a mixture of chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, ground flax seeds, and sunflower seeds left to soak in a small amount of water overnight. In the morning I add yoghurt to it and half an avocado or some fruits for taste. While I eat I make an instant coffee and I'm out the door in less than 10 minutes.

It's healthy. I don't get fat. And I'm not hungry till lunch time where I eat a meal I bulk cooked on the weekends.

For a small Sunday afternoon time investment and 5 minutes of effort every night prior to the following morning I am loving set as far as meals are concerned.

I will still skip this process and get an egg mcmuffin combo from time to time but only to shake things up. I save about 300-400 bucks a month thanks to this.

Not everyone is as spartan or health crazy as me so this won't work for all.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Oatmeal and a coffee for breakfast during the week. On weekends it's time to go big on breakfast which is usually one of two meals for the day so it's stuff like eggs over easy, or burritos, or omelettes, and sliced potatoes with garlic and spices and it's amazing.

Or french toast.

Or apple pancakes.

A big rear end awesome breakfast is a great way to start the day on weekends.

Although once in a while I'm up and raring to go super early so it's a quick self made egg and cheese sandwich which is still way cheaper, healthier, and faster than the ones you get made for you.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

Three dollars.

Breakfast is a brainless meal you can take and go, at the very least stick to buying lunch or second breakfast.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Also if you aren't buying free range eggs you're a monster even the free run farms are basically Auschwitz for birds.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I've tried bulk meal prep but it reminds me too much of growing up poor when we'd eat the cheapest protein plus the cheapest vegetable for a week straight because mom didn't have time (or, I suspect, energy) to cook most weeknights. Not having a working freezer didn't help.

I did, oddly, develop a taste for liver.

Definitely jealous of those who have the discipline, but "eat different things" is a luxury I indulge.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

EvilJoven posted:

Also if you aren't buying free range eggs you're a monster even the free run farms are basically Auschwitz for birds.

You should talk to people that work on the large scale chicken farms. Free range means they move the chicken cage around the yard, perhaps thrice per day.

Just buy them in bulk at costco tbqh, 16c per egg and under preferably

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/andrew-scheer-rebel-interviews-1.4251070?cmp=rss

NEW
Andrew Scheer won't grant interviews to The Rebel, pending editorial direction

Conservative leader says he won't speak with Ezra Levant's website

:smugdon: Even the so-cons abandoning ship jfc

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Risky Bisquick posted:

Breakfast is a brainless meal you can take and go, at the very least stick to buying lunch or second breakfast.

Yes, and most mornings that I eat breakfast at home vs work that's what I do. When I want a breakfast sandwich periodically I go spend the three dollars. Nobody is advocating making it a daily activity, especially not if it is a meaningful financial burden. Chasing a 9-year-old around in the morning constrains cooking, unless she gets up early enough to make herself scrambled eggs.

(Of course, some days I grab a power bar and apple for breakfast, which probably also costs three bucks.)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

McGavin posted:

So it's not just me then. I feel weird having to pass a skill-testing enunciation question to win breakfast.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Ezra Levant actually super-corrupt? You don't say lmao

http://www.canadalandshow.com/caolan-robertson-why-left-rebel/

quote:

A former Rebel Media contributor is making explosive allegations against Ezra Levant and the way he operates the Canadian far-right outlet.

“So some of you might or might now know, but two weeks ago I actually left the Rebel Media,” Caolan Robertson says in a video posted to YouTube Thursday. “But what you definitely don’t know is that Ezra then flew to the UK to offer $20,000 to make sure that this very video would not get made.”

The video, whose claims have not been verified, includes an audio clip of Levant appearing to offer what he calls “hush money,” which Robertson accepted.

Robertson, a harsh critic of Islam, was one of The Rebel’s UK correspondents, until he was fired “suddenly” and “without cause.”

“Personally, I think it’s because we both knew too much.”

Levant appeared to offer them money in order to sign a new confidentiality agreement. “I will PayPal to you right loving now.”

“The Rebel makes enough from its shows to cover its costs,” Robertson says in the video. “And apparently, it even makes more from backers on top of that. So what on Earth does it need with your money? The thing is, when you donate to a Rebel campaign, you’re actually giving money to a business, not a charity — while the Rebel does spend a huge amount on lawyers, billboards, and URLs, this is nothing compared to what is actually coming in. These are simply tools to boost donations.”

He draws attention to a little-known disclaimer on The Rebel site that says: “Surplus funds raised for specific initiatives will be used for other costs associated with that particular project, such as website development, website hosting, mail, and other such expenses. Additional funds will be used towards other similar initiatives in the future.”

In the video, Robertson also says that the sudden departure of its former star, Lauren Southern, in March was related to fundraising for their trip to Israel: “It actually turns out that the Rebel crowdfunded more than enough money to cover the costs of that trip — and yet they still demanded she make a video asking for more. Of course, Lauren refused, and after raising concerns about the ethics of lying to make money they didn’t need, she was unceremoniously fired, and threatened with legal action if she ever spoke about it. That’s right, she didn’t leave, she was fired.”

We have contacted Ezra Levant for comment and will update if we hear back.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Risky Bisquick posted:

You should talk to people that work on the large scale chicken farms. Free range means they move the chicken cage around the yard, perhaps thrice per day.

Jesus loving christ I've been spending three times as much as normal eggs for the certified organic free range ones and it's like this?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

EvilJoven posted:

Looks like A&W is trying to get to at least free run.

quote:

A&W wants cage-free eggs in 2 years and that means rapid change for farmers
A&W wants to offer eggs from hens in cage-free housing inside of two years, but doing so requires a quick acceleration in changing farm practices.

In an announcement Thursday, the fast food chain said it would give a $100,000 grant to Farm & Food Care Canada to help develop new housing options for egg-laying hens.

[A&W] already has made a commitment to serve eggs from hens fed a vegetarian diet, without animal by-products or antibiotics.

Currently in Canada, A&W can find hens that are raised in enriched housing, which provides more space, privacy, and ability for hens to display their natural behaviours.

But these hens raised in cage-free or open barns are still fed antibiotics, which does not meet A&W's commitment to serving eggs from hens raised without the use of antibiotics.

"We are investing in innovation to accelerate the pace of change because right now there are no viable cage-free egg options that meet our supply standards regarding the use of antibiotics," Susan Senecal, president and chief operating officer at A&W Food Services of Canada Inc. said in a news release.

More than 90 per cent of Canada's egg supply still comes from battery cages.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EvilJoven posted:

Jesus loving christ I've been spending three times as much as normal eggs for the certified organic free range ones and it's like this?

Virtue signaling at the cash register isn't free you know.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Risky Bisquick posted:

:smugdon: Even the so-cons abandoning ship jfc

They're not abandoning ship, they're just trying to hide for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvilJoven posted:

You need a better egg guy, $3 doz for farm eggs around here.