Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Apple Pay is great now that Americans have made using a chip card somehow worse than any other method of payment

chips are cool & good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I never use Apple Pay in stores, but I do all the time in apps/on websites.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
that noise some of the chip readers make when it asks you to remove your card can eat poop from a butt

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

There Will Be Penalty posted:

that noise some of the chip readers make when it asks you to remove your card can eat poop from a butt

that specific noise only exists in bad countries like the us

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

tk posted:

youre missing out friend, it's a very satisfying experience

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

There Will Be Penalty posted:

gently caress the chip reader and cum in it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

tk posted:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Chip and pin in the first world: cool and good
Chip and pin in the US: a garbage fire that now uses a chip instead of a swipe, but no pin and they still have the swipey bit for some reason

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Chip and pin in the US: a garbage fire that now uses a chip instead of a swipe, but no pin and they still have the swipey bit for some reason

all my chip cards use a pin but Americans have been conditioned to ask to sign anyway lest they incur debit fees that haven't existed for years.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

I tried a couple times when it first started and it didn't work. I should probably try again, but I just don't. First impressions matter, I guess.

Fukui-san!?!

Yes, Ohta!

What I got from the customer is that he will try to pay with his phone.

Wow, this is a very bold move. If it works he won't have to take out his wallet, but he risks annoying the cashier and holding up the line.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

chip+signature is fine

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

chip+signature is fine

what is the point of having a pin then

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Apple Pay is great now that Americans have made using a chip card somehow worse than any other method of payment

this would be true except some stores don't work w/apple pay which means you're either janitoring your payment methods or defaulting to chip readers that take like 15 seconds to read a card. and among the readers half you gotta wait for the display to say "remove card", the other half blare a siren

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

really? huh

your pos is a pos

it comes full circle

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

what is the point of having a pin then

to combat in-person card usage fraud with a stolen but real card which is like 0.1% of all credit card fraud. people report their cards within 0-48 hours of them missing and they get shut off. hell more and more banks now let you shut your card off immediately from your smartphone app

the chip with or without pin solved the two biggest vectors for credit card fraud: skimming magstripes (to make fake cards) and hacking into retail chain/credit card processor backends and stealing the numbers that were retained for POS transactions because magstripe transactions are some 1970s stupid rear end poo poo

obviously the cards still have magstripes everywhere that can still be skimmed but the data you get just from that is now mostly useless thanks to chips

thanks chips

thips

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

cis autodrag posted:

all my chip cards use a pin but Americans have been conditioned to ask to sign anyway lest they incur debit fees that haven't existed for years.

your pin in this instance isnt a chip n pin pin

chip n pin pins "unlock" the card so the terminal can use it, its local to the terminal

your debit card's pin tells the store's credit/debit card processor that whoever is using the card knows the correct pin to make transactions, this occurs via communication between the processor and ur bank behind the scenes

it also tells those in line with you that youre too poor to have a credit card

Asymmetric POSTer fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 17, 2017

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

yeh. too bad safeway decided to go with non-rfid terminals, so my main potential use case for apple pay doesn't exist

and of course now that everyone's invested in the new chip terminals, there's no reason to replace them with rfid terminals so apple pay use won't expand to more chains than it already has

also laffo at the fact that half the time i still have to input my pin after unlocking the secure element with my fingerprint

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

yeh. too bad safeway decided to go with non-rfid terminals, so my main potential use case for apple pay doesn't exist

and of course now that everyone's invested in the new chip terminals, there's no reason to replace them with rfid terminals so apple pay use won't expand to more chains than it already has

also laffo at the fact that half the time i still have to input my pin after unlocking the secure element with my fingerprint

giant (lovely grocery store around here) and trader joes support it and have the same type of verisign terminals you see in a lot of places

what sucks is when you go to a store that has those same terminals (target!!!) but they dont have the rfid stuff activated

my coffee shop supports it which is cool & good, you get better luck with smaller stores that just got one or two new terminals total

i loving love chips

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it also tells those in line with you that youre too poor to have a credit card
just get a chip and pin credit card?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL & SMDH at stores that don't take chip cards or rfid payments.

I live in a dinky little town in western colorado and our grocery store takes chip cards and apple pay.

even a third-rate, also-ran drugstore chain like rite aid takes Apple Pay (without any dumbass cashier poo poo required).

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the ones that really get me is the terminals that take Apple Pay but don't show you any sign that they have NFC support until you put your card in. yes, literally showing the NFC symbol or Apple Pay logo on screen only after you put your credit card in the slot.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
stfu about chip and pin

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

My Linux Rig posted:

oh yeah I'm sure tons of flabby rednecks have iPhones and not cheap androids rofl

My Linux Rig: Apple should continue supporting web sites that sell white supremacy merchandise

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

It's weird how neonazis can afford Tacticool Gear and assault rifles but an iphone is out of their price range, to me

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

the ones that really get me is the terminals that take Apple Pay but don't show you any sign that they have NFC support until you put your card in. yes, literally showing the NFC symbol or Apple Pay logo on screen only after you put your credit card in the slot.

sounds like your pos is a pos

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

get this:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Anroid.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
:vince:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

HAT FETISH posted:

It's weird how neonazis can afford Tacticool Gear and assault rifles but an iphone is out of their price range, to me
clearly you need both

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
thank you apple for not doing business with literal nazis.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i use apple pay wherever available, but that's mostly the grocery store and the rare occasion i go to best buy. plus an app here and there. never used it on a website, but i don't use safari on my mac, and p much never do shopping on my phone browser

it's cool + good

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Wheany posted:

My Linux Rig: Apple should continue supporting web sites that sell white supremacy merchandise

boy that joke flew over your head didn't it?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

i don't use safari on my mac

does it still hurt where you were dropped on your head as an infant?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

i use apple pay wherever available, but that's mostly the grocery store and the rare occasion i go to best buy. plus an app here and there. never used it on a website, but i don't use safari on my mac, and p much never do shopping on my phone browser

it's cool + good

my utilities + internet + mobile bill can all be payed using Apple Pay through their app or website and it owns owns owns

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

does it still hurt where you were dropped on your head as an infant?

i imagine it stopped hurting physically when he was dropped again and then went into computer touching

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
text from mom:

Where is the hole on my iPhone for earbuds?

#courage

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

"News" article today somewhere, earbuds with lightning adapter do not work on latest MacBook, even with dongles.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

My Linux Rig posted:

boy that joke flew over your head didn't it?

was your joke "flabby rednecks don't use iphones, therefore it makes no difference if apple supports web sites that sell white power merchandise (so they should continue to support such websites)?"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Dislike button posted:

text from mom:

Where is the hole on my iPhone for earbuds?

#courage

what kind of child abuses their parent by not getting them an iphone se?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

what kind of child abuses their parent by not getting them an iphone se?

my mom almost self abused but got an iphone 6s which fits her since she's whatever the opposite of nearsighted is

• Locked thread