Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Annointed posted:

Pretty much my thoughts on the matter at the moment. Especially now in the US I got enough drama as is. As always the thread title stays relevant.

Would this not be the perfect time to really sit down and address it then? I know the discourse always devolves and implodes on itself, but there has to be some method through which we can discuss these things without a descent into madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Takoluka posted:

Would this not be the perfect time to really sit down and address it then? I know the discourse always devolves and implodes on itself, but there has to be some method through which we can discuss these things without a descent into madness.

Thunderdome?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Takoluka posted:

I def' don't think that we should stop talking about other important issues but I can understand why some people feel too emotionally and mentally drained right now.
I'm extremely upset but not American so I can't imagine how draining recent events must feel over there. Especially if you're an American POC.

I do think that FF should denounce the harrasement and that it's extremely baffling that people would act that way on the behalf of Sarkesian.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

People act like that on the behalf of literally every single internet personality. Also see Jim Sterling having to publicly denounce his own fans for being pieces of poo poo. A famous person saying something bad about a less famous person online will always 100% result in the less famous person getting harassed.

Hence why all online personalities should be obligated to get people doxxing the Charlottesville Nazis so we can get as many of them fired as possible.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Crucifiying the gamers again I see? Why do you have video games??? The gamers will not stand for this spear in there side!!

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Takoluka posted:

Now that I've got a full night's rest and somehow am able to come to terms with the fact that one of my greatest allies against nazis are juggalos, FF denouncing these people and using their network to help the writer out seems to be the most likely thing for them to do. Everyone there is versed in this whole song and dance for years, it'd be strange for any of them, especially Anita to ever double down and give any gator satisfaction.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

J33uk posted:

So interviewing the wrong person is now good enough to get you doxxed off Twitter by people who say they want harassment to end. That's just swell.

that's really not what happened at all. The article was a complete blowjob about 'organizing internet community' that completely ignored that his role in 'organizing' about harassment was often, ya know, pro-harassment. They present him as some neutral figure 'speaking out against hate' while never even mentioning his previous role in boosting the hate. It's not even some bullshit redemption narrative it's just whitewashing. Even the editor involved was on Twitter agreeing they hosed up by ignoring that stuff.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

Hence why all online personalities should be obligated to get people doxxing the Charlottesville Nazis so we can get as many of them fired as possible.

Dumbasses already did that and unsurprisingly targeted a lot of innocent people who just happened to have the same name as some of the nazis

Andrast fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 17, 2017

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

https://twitter.com/laurakbuzz/status/898200392697352193

This is such a clusterfuck

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The one moment he could have some semblance of moral superiority in his Socially Conservative Fiscally Liberal, and he squashes it harder than Donald Trump squashed the goodwill of his previous press conferences.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
honestly this drama isn't that interesting. generic gg shitflinging. I thought we were done with that and just have to deal with neonazis.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^It's kinda 'relevant' since she's still going on about how actually both TB AND FF 'threw her to the wolves' and if you think about it one tweet saying 'bad article yo' is basically the same as a crazy moron accusing you of internet crime for saying harassment happened.

for context this comes after kotaku put up a good apology for the TB interview, and likely this is what made TB all crymad

quote:

That context would be that Bain inarguably came to engage with and encourage Gamergate. He has in the past argued that it was not a harassment campaign and not a misogynist movement, an account that any of us working here at Kotaku UK would vehemently dispute from personal experience. It was a mistake not to include this context in the interview, and it was insensitive to those to whom Gamergate and its followers have caused pain. I want to be clear that both the angle of the headline and the absence of this context were my mistakes.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Jesus.

And here I thought that TotalBiscuit would be the one GG'er/former GG'er to be able to still converse with on friendly terms.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Andrast posted:

Dumbasses already did that and unsurprisingly targeted a lot of innocent people who just happened to have the same name as one some of the nazis

Yeah, I'm not a fan of it for this reason. Especially because they make the info public to the whole world. I get maybe sending a message a "Yo this person looks like someone you know. Is it them and if so do you condone their actions?" to family members or employers who would be able to fully recognize the person.

And I don't really think that the article is that bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also in case you were wondering, yes TB still talks like an absolute dipshit

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/898201410239647744

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

also in case you were wondering, yes TB still talks like an absolute dipshit

https://twitter.com/Totalbiscuit/status/898201410239647744

You'd think contracting cancer multiple times would make him reflect on his life and past actions, but you'd be wrong.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Welp, nope they shouldn't even have done that interview in good faith.
Lmao at the last tweet. He agreed to an interview and backtracked as soon as his fans got pissy about it.

More than anything I just feel bad for Laura. She seems like a dork and an absolute sweetheart on the Podquisition. It's horrible that she, especially as a trans person, is getting this much poo poo from both sides.

Infamous Sphere posted:

I don't know. For whatever reason I haven't really been able to record reviews this year - a combination of not having the privacy, being sick, and having other commitments. I was putting on an exhibition, among other things. So I feel like I really can't promise anything, which I know sucks, but for all I know this might be the last thing I ever do.
Missed this on the last page. I'm very sad to hear this because I really like your stuff and have enjoyed seeing you grow. But yeah take care of yourself man. It sounds like you have some good an exciting stuff going on in your life.
Ps. I really like your art. Especially your bird stuff. And I totally have a friend I'm going to buy your book for.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Man, the very first replies when she posted that article were people saying they would no longer support her and her replying with "I'm so sorry", so people were making GBS threads on her even before it got retweeted by @femfreq. That's gotta be devastating for someone just becoming independent. :smith:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
tb making it really hard to not make cancer comments here.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

well

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

tb making it really hard to not make cancer comments here.

He has been making it difficult for years. The fact that he continued to support GG even with having a wife and child, even through near terminal cancer is just astounding.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I do think it's a little disingenuous to not include the fact that TB was an early figurehead for GG in that piece. Yes he got out when it spiraled into outright harassment, but at the same time that earlier screenshot shows that he parroted the except same "No you see the media really is corrupt" poo poo that GGers themselves so heartily spout (And something he clearly still believes). Also weirdly enough on twitter he's insisting that GG isn't a thing anymore, I suppose he's technically right in that there's no one movement like that, but it's still all the same people doing the same lovely things under other names.

Honestly though, the more that comes out of FemFreq the more I just dislike them. It isn't that what Anita doesn't isn't worthwhile (Though I think it's shocking how much money she raised for so little content) even though I feel like most everything they do is very surface level. And like so much modern criticism now, they come firmly down on the side of literalism. However, whoever runs the twitter account has a particular penchant for starting something on twitter and then never replying.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 17, 2017

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Kay Kessler posted:

Man, the very first replies when she posted that article were people saying they would no longer support her and her replying with "I'm so sorry", so people were making GBS threads on her even before it got retweeted by @femfreq. That's gotta be devastating for someone just becoming independent. :smith:

She just got picked up by Kotaku and cancelled her Patreon, that's literally the opposite of becoming independent. Having said that, I fully support her and this is a lovely situation that has been blown completely out of proportion.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

TB even seems to acknowledge that he has a problem within the article itself:

Totalbiscuit posted:

There have been several incidents where I've blown up at people, and there have been a lot of drama incidents that are attached to my name — some of which completely rightly are my fault

…and yet today’s display shows he hasn’t learned a drat thing from those mistakes. It’s a shame because he really is talented as a game critic but he always turns into such a pompous dumbass whenever he’s talking about anything other than games.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
uhhh at least he's not a neonazi??

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tired Moritz posted:

Just a guy who supported and continues to give aid to people who are literally american nazis.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Annointed posted:

Just a guy who supported and continues to give aid to people who are literally american nazis.

All because some people said "Hey, these videogames aren't perfect", but in a badwrong way.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

SteelMentor posted:

All because some people said "Hey, these videogames aren't perfect", but in a badwrong way.

"Gamers, as an identity are dead, and by which I mean games are incredibly mainstream so basing your identity around 'I play games' is like basing it around 'I watch TV'. Sure maybe you take it more seriously than others, but creating this toxic environment where only the select few are allowed to be 'real' when it's such a common hobby is a relic of days long gone."

"IS SHE SAYING SHE WANTS TO KILL ALL GAMERS?!"

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

"Gamers, as an identity are dead, and by which I mean games are incredibly mainstream so basing your identity around 'I play games' is like basing it around 'I watch TV'. Sure maybe you take it more seriously than others, but creating this toxic environment where only the select few are allowed to be 'real' when it's such a common hobby is a relic of days long gone."

I remember when the worst thing he did was post a goony essay on SA. Oh times have not changed. The white identity must be preserved at all costs. Any insinuation that anyone not white, male, cis or het is part of gaming must be trampled with extreme prejudice.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 17, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Man, when you've gotta dig this far down for a compliment, something is horribly wrong.

DrVenkman posted:

Honestly though, the more that comes out of FemFreq the more I just dislike them. It isn't that what Anita doesn't isn't worthwhile (Though I think it's shocking how much money she raised for so little content) even though I feel like most everything they do is very surface level. And like so much modern criticism now, they come firmly down on the side of literalism. However, whoever runs the twitter account has a particular penchant for starting something on twitter and then never replying.

1) How do you stop people from donating money to you to make something?

2) Morally, how far over your goal should you allow donations to get before no longer accepting anymore?

3) How complicated and specific should your videos be when introducing someone to a new topic?
Maybe I just got a bad education in NC but I remember starting off with learning the alphabet normally and cursive not even showing up for three grades later.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

As a side note gently caress cursive writing. Grade school teachers kept telling students that in high school it was mandatory and then when you do get in hs the teachers there say "yeah that was a complete waste of time."

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also to be clear this is literally all FF tweeted about the article that we're supposed to pretend was basically the same as TB sic'ing his people on them.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/897886510409687041

and then a couple hours later they said

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/897948579980955648

that was literally it

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

These people grew up watching movies about nerds being prosecuted for playing video games even though, even back then, hanging out at the arcades were a popular past time and owning a nice console/computer garnered some popularity. The thing is that they didn't grow out of that being all they do. The other kids learned to socialize and have fun outside of being intensely serious about playing DnD and video games.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

also to be clear this is literally all FF tweeted about the article that we're supposed to pretend was basically the same as TB sic'ing his people on them.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/897886510409687041

and then a couple hours later they said

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/897948579980955648

that was literally it

Who said that that it was equal TB?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

What happened? Did he mishear a news report about who was fighting nazis in Virginia last week?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sarcopenia posted:

Who said that that it was equal TB?

tons of people are blaming FF for Laura getting harassed and she herself said that both TB and FF 'threw her to the wolves' today while her friends tisk tisk at left wing game journos for saying 'this wasn't good' as if it's some deep attack.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Annointed posted:

As a side note gently caress cursive writing. Grade school teachers kept telling students that in high school it was mandatory and then when you do get in hs the teachers there say "yeah that was a complete waste of time."

I agree! You spend 96% of school writing one way and even then I think that's underestimating it. The only place cursive shows up is signatures and old original documents hundreds of years ago.

Anyway, I got a good laugh out of this even though it's not really relevant to the thread.

http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2017/08/i-would-do-anything-for-free-speech-but-i-wont-do-that/

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

tons of people are blaming FF for Laura getting harassed and she herself said that both TB and FF 'threw her to the wolves' today while her friends tisk tisk at left wing game journos for saying 'this wasn't good' as if it's some deep attack.

Ah, I misunderstood was talking about this thread. :downs:

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I agree! You spend 96% of school writing one way and even then I think that's underestimating it. The only place cursive shows up is signatures and old original documents hundreds of years ago.

Anyway, I got a good laugh out of this even though it's not really relevant to the thread.

http://www.pointandclickbait.com/2017/08/i-would-do-anything-for-free-speech-but-i-wont-do-that/

But TB has said something like that. Satire can't keep up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

RareAcumen posted:

Man, when you've gotta dig this far down for a compliment, something is horribly wrong.

1) How do you stop people from donating money to you to make something?

2) Morally, how far over your goal should you allow donations to get before no longer accepting anymore?

3) How complicated and specific should your videos be when introducing someone to a new topic?
Maybe I just got a bad education in NC but I remember starting off with learning the alphabet normally and cursive not even showing up for three grades later.

I should've worded it a little differently. I think what FemFreq put out for the money they received is fairly lacking both from a production and content standpoint, but that's a personal complaint.

As for your last point, she's producing YouTube videos, not teaching at a college. None of the videos they put out ever really goes beyond the same surface-level reading of "This thing is bad," though I suppose you can make the argument that that's down to the medium itself that it doesn't afford anything more than that. Hell, pick up a copy of MEN, WOMEN AND CHAINSAWS and you'll read pretty much everything Sarkeesian has to say.

I do applaud her for being out front there and shining a light on this stuff, and lord knows it can't be easy, I just don't think she's very good at her job.

• Locked thread