Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Tatos, gourds, and silt beans... might make pretty good dip?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Are there any mods that make it straightforward to manage/cap your FPS? The only thing more annoying than my computer getting insanely hot running this game are the 50 different threads about changing 6 different .ini settings and 4 different nvidia settings.

Nevermind, found another tool to manage it

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Aug 12, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Be careful with manually adjusting your FPS, the game ties logic to it and can really gently caress poo poo up.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I found that things were pretty stable up to 120fps but if you got above that then you ran into issues like running too fast or lockpicks breaking instantly. I used RivaTuner to lock the FPS.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just finished up Far Harbor and Nuka World. What's worth downloading and doing? I'll give Vault 1080 a go... anything else quality and stable?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Fina posted:

I found that things were pretty stable up to 120fps but if you got above that then you ran into issues like running too fast or lockpicks breaking instantly. I used RivaTuner to lock the FPS.

I couldn't go that high. The problem I kept running into involved those doors you open via terminals, those never worked right at higher fps.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

CFox posted:

I couldn't go that high. The problem I kept running into involved those doors you open via terminals, those never worked right at higher fps.

Oh is that what that loving glitch is? God dammit that drove me insane.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I don't have any of the DLCs, which is required for the latest version of the Unofficial FO4 patch. This means I can only use the long unsupported vanilla version. On the other hand, Horizon's notes state that its compatibility with the Unofficial patch isn't perfect either, and while it doesn't say so explicitly, I imagine compatibility is even worse with the old version.

Any of you guys have experience with my situation? Should I go for the Unofficial patch or just keep on truckin' without it?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's been a while, I've been patiently waiting for a glut of interesting or good quality mods to gather and finally I've got enough to justify the wait.

Church of Atom Overhaul is a faction overhault mod that changes the appearince of the Church to not only more lore friendly but useful gear, with the usual addition of new items you can equip and craft. Looks very good.

Syringer Rebalanced tweaks and adds more recipes and makes crafting darts easier for the Syringer weapon turning it for a roleplay exotic to something more practical to use.

Bounties For You adds a Regulator style faction and a series of Bounty Hunting themed quests for you to do around the Commonwealth, comes with some mod based weaponry and other gear if that is your thing.

Non Lethal Ordnance gives you a perk that is essentially a melee move to knock out NPC's with melee weapons but adds mods to existing ranged and melee weapons to help you with your pacifist run dreams. Only works on humans and non feral ghouls though.

Altyn Assault Helmet simply adds the bad rear end real world tactical special forces helmet to the game.

For those who wish the music of the game had more well, a old school Fallout bite to it now but don't want to simply reuse the music from Fallout 2/FNV a modder and composer has created a perfect old school sounding unique score for Fallout 4. Check out the videos on the mod page for Faded Glory. It honestly fits real well with the setting and old style music!

Jon's Samurai Masks and Helmets finally add what is missing for those ad hoc wastelander Samurai who have the weapons but nothing else.

Wandering Scientists Outfit is a nice unique mish mash of Fallout 4 meets old school F3/FNV Radsuits with a unique made Radiation suit style clothing.

Commonwealth Pizza is a mod that lets you find a Pizza Place, live in it, learn to cook and makes Pizzas for both health and money reasons and also operate the place in a settlement as a business. PIZZA TIME.

Human Cooking is obviously the next step of breaking this taboo, instead of biting chunks of crude meat from a corpse you now have the option to cut said parts from a body and prepare food using unique recipes provided by said mod. Another thing that should really have been in the base game.

Immersive Survival Messages is a simple fix for those who want the HUD messages to reflect your characters thoughts.

Simple Assault Rifle Replacer is a mod made by somebody who had had enough the default games assault rifle and has replaced it with a model of the weapon used in FNV. Perfect for those who just loving hate that gun like guys like me.

Wait Anywhere another missing from the base game. Just wait anywhere you want now, no need to find a chair.

Hands Off-Lock Settlement Containers gives you the option to lock containers in settlements to prevent NPC theft when the attacks occur.

For those who don't have Automatron yet you can still Craft Your Own ROBOT are grenades or settlement defenses.

Speaking of Settlements for those who think the Minutemen Howitzers are a bit too old fashioned for your taste consider instead this mod that replaces them with the more modern setting friendly 155mm Howitzer M1

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26172/ I speak Japanese only

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

SeanBeansShako posted:

Commonwealth Pizza is a mod that lets you find a Pizza Place, live in it, learn to cook and makes Pizzas for both health and money reasons and also operate the place in a settlement as a business. PIZZA TIME.

lol this rules

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Moist von Lipwig posted:

lol this rules

Obesity. Obesity never changes.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
An interesting update for the Creation Kit just dropped.

Patch Notes posted:

Support for Light plugin (.esl) file format.

CK Wiki posted:

Light plugin (.esl) file are a new optimized file format, introduced in the 1.10 Update. They behave like a normal plugin, except for the following:
.esl files are read-only. Active development should be done in an normal (.esp) plugin.
.esl files bypass the 8-bit plugin ID limit (255).
.esl files have a budget of no more than 4,000 forms.

.esl files are treated as unique files from the .esp it was converted from, so saved games will not be compatible between them.
To convert a normal plugin (.esp) to a light (.esl) plugin, load your .esp file, and under File, select Convert Active File to Light Master.
It is good practice to run Compact Active File Form IDs to optimize your formids within the 4,000 form budget.
NOTE: Compacting form ids does change formids in the plugin, so only do this before converting to .esl, and not on a .esp (plugin) you plan on releasing.

I think they just replaced the 255 plugin limit with a 4350 one.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Anything more happening with the named unique NPC mod then?

Moist von Lipwig posted:

lol this rules

If you ever wanted to make a character than is essentially Bob from Bob's Burgers that mod has done most of the work for you.

The assault rifle replacement one is pretty good, he got the permissions for the assault rifle unique from the FNV AR mod and balanced it more or less replace the guns role in the vanilla game mods and all.

The only thing it needs is somebody to give in a mini mod that turns the old AR into some sort of light machine gun and that problem is fixed forever.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I know there is one that makes the original into an LMG but I don't know if they'd play nice.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Raygereio posted:

I hope the new Nexus Mod Organizer drops soon, I seriously doubt the MO2 beta I've been using will get forked to handle new file types / limits.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Raygereio posted:

Oh, well, this should be interesting, my eyes already glaze over when trying to fix a dodgy load order of about 100. I guess this will make LOOT indispensable.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
A mod that replaces the quest to find Shaun with a quest to open up your own post-apocalyptic pizza franchise and rebuild the world on a foundation of tomato, bread, and cheese actually sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Raygereio posted:

Is this correct? To me, it reads that they got rid of the 255 limit, but .esl files are limited in their contents (4000 form budget, not 4000 plugin budget). Think of forms like COBJ or WEAP or MISC entries in a plugin. So some of the larger/broader mods (things that add in quests and world spaces and new npcs / weapons / armor) probably wouldn't fit in an .esl, but something that's just like a standalone weapon that might only have ~100 forms or so would be perfect. At least that's how I'm reading it.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

That's actually kinda perfect. It means we can convert, for example, various mod compatibility patches out there (like the VIS patches) to .esl, since they're routinely well below 4000 forms, and they wouldn't officially eat up slots in the load order. It's also possible that comparatively more complex stuff, like a weapon or armor mod, might be under that 4000 limit, and thus could be converted to .esl to free up even more space.

Basically, they may have just saved us from being forced to mash mods into a merged patch in order to get back under the load limit. That's really interesting!

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

potaties posted:

Is this correct? To me, it reads that they got rid of the 255 limit, but .esl files are limited in their contents (4000 form budget, not 4000 plugin budget). Think of forms like COBJ or WEAP or MISC entries in a plugin. So some of the larger/broader mods (things that add in quests and world spaces and new npcs / weapons / armor) probably wouldn't fit in an .esl, but something that's just like a standalone weapon that might only have ~100 forms or so would be perfect. At least that's how I'm reading it.
Note that the wiki says the new .esl files bypass the plugin ID limit. It hasn't been expanded to use more then 2 bits. If I were to hazard a guess, the game will merge the .esl plugins into one virtual plugin and slot that merged plugin into the loadorder while it's being loaded into memory. The .esl files being limited to 4000 forms says to me that they're limited to using three bits in their formids. That would leave the remaining 3 bits to serve as IDs for the merged .esl files, so that would mean a maximum of 16^3=4096 could be merged.
Mind you, that's mostly speculation on my part.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 17, 2017

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Gonkish posted:

That's actually kinda perfect. It means we can convert, for example, various mod compatibility patches out there (like the VIS patches) to .esl, since they're routinely well below 4000 forms, and they wouldn't officially eat up slots in the load order. It's also possible that comparatively more complex stuff, like a weapon or armor mod, might be under that 4000 limit, and thus could be converted to .esl to free up even more space.

Basically, they may have just saved us from being forced to mash mods into a merged patch in order to get back under the load limit. That's really interesting!

I hope somebody can figuire out how to make this work for F3/FNV/Skyrim too!

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Raygereio posted:

Note that the wiki says the new .esl files bypass the plugin ID limit. It hasn't been expanded to use more then 2 bits. If I were to hazard a guess, the game will merge the .esl plugins into one virtual plugin and slot that merged plugin into the loadorder while it's being loaded into memory. The .esl files being limited to 4000 forms says to me that they're limited to using three bits in their formids. That would leave the remaining 3 bits to serve as IDs for the merged .esl files, so that would mean a maximum of 16^3=4096 could be merged.
Mind you, that's mostly speculation on my part.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you for explaining! Pretty cool stuff all around.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

potaties posted:

That makes a lot of sense, thank you for explaining! Pretty cool stuff all around.
I was speculating like I said, so don't take my word as gospel. Right now the whole thing isn't even working yet. We need to wait for the 1.10 patch until we can start testing how it exactly works.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
e:I should probably refresh before posting

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I hope somebody can figuire out how to make this work for F3/FNV/Skyrim too!

I would imagine Bethesda will, at least, port it over to Skyrim SE, since it runs on a version of the engine that is at least broadly similar to FO4. I'd hope they would, at least. That would be a great addition.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Faded Glory really is boss, thank you SeanBeansShako.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBCgu86zr5E

Was this ever posted? because you can have a Megaman X Ride Armor to run around in that your companions can also ride alongside you in.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Faded Glory really is boss, thank you SeanBeansShako.

I know right? the modder composer nailed that old school Fallout feel.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Does anyone know if the author of Shadow Boost will ever update it to the newest version? Latest I can find is 1.9.4.0 but that's not working with the latest F4 version.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sensenmann posted:

Does anyone know if the author of Shadow Boost will ever update it to the newest version? Latest I can find is 1.9.4.0 but that's not working with the latest F4 version.
Patch 1.9.4.0 is the latest version of the game. Just tested it and FPS dynamic shadows - Shadow Boost works fine.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012

Raygereio posted:

Patch 1.9.4.0 is the latest version of the game. Just tested it and FPS dynamic shadows - Shadow Boost works fine.

Yes, just noticed that I had two versions of Shadow Boost in my download folder and installed the wrong one. Thanks for checking, though. :)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

It'd be nice if someone could cook up a version of Shadowboost that affects LOD values. A lot of the performance hit in Boston is the engine hitting the DX11 limit of draw calls and LOD meshes are a pretty huge culprit. It'd be a nice stopgap until Bethesda finishes the Vulkan engine upgrade, assuming that makes its way to Fallout 4.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 18, 2017

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
I managed to put together my first ESP.

It makes Drumlin Diner a settlement. Also removed all the previs (?) data with fo4edit so it works with the same recipe lists as Scrap Everything. Supply lines seem to work, everything seems to work. Holy hell, Creation Kit, though.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Been holding off on FO4 since release, in part to let the DLC and mods hit, and in part to try to clear out my overall gaming backlog. Should be finishing up Witcher 3 in the next few weeks and plan to move on to FO4 next. Really glad this post has a detailed mod list, especially since there doesn't seem to be a GEMS or STEP equivalent for FO4.

Do you guys recommend jumping straight in with mods, or messing around with vanilla first? I'm thinking I will at least boot it up and mess around a bit to get a feel for the base game, but will probably want to dive into some good mods fairly quickly. I rarely have time to do multiple playthroughs of most games or even really 'complete' playthroughs of big games like this, so I figure I should try to 'maximize' my experience the first time.

Thanks!

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqhMwaKsZeM

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Been holding off on FO4 since release, in part to let the DLC and mods hit, and in part to try to clear out my overall gaming backlog. Should be finishing up Witcher 3 in the next few weeks and plan to move on to FO4 next. Really glad this post has a detailed mod list, especially since there doesn't seem to be a GEMS or STEP equivalent for FO4.

Do you guys recommend jumping straight in with mods, or messing around with vanilla first? I'm thinking I will at least boot it up and mess around a bit to get a feel for the base game, but will probably want to dive into some good mods fairly quickly. I rarely have time to do multiple playthroughs of most games or even really 'complete' playthroughs of big games like this, so I figure I should try to 'maximize' my experience the first time.

Thanks!

I mean, you may want to start the game fresh for a few reasons, but the two I imagine most pertinent would be so A) you have a frame of reference to know where a lot of the criticism is coming from, and B) so you better know the difference between a mod working as intended and when it's done hosed up.

Apart from that, mods are such a matter of taste that, until you know what you like or don't like about the base game, it's hard to recommend a particular variety. Personally I have just started slamming every outfit mod I can find that isn't a glorified bathing suit into the game and just roam the country side giving people new outfits like some kind of fashion Santa. When I'm not using the bullet time mod to pretend this is an open world F.E.A.R game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

For those who wish the music of the game had more well, a old school Fallout bite to it now but don't want to simply reuse the music from Fallout 2/FNV a modder and composer has created a perfect old school sounding unique score for Fallout 4. Check out the videos on the mod page for Faded Glory. It honestly fits real well with the setting and old style music!

Yeah, this is pretty boss. I was clearing out Jamaica Plain and when I heard one of the new tracks I had to stop and listen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

marshmallow creep posted:

I mean, you may want to start the game fresh for a few reasons, but the two I imagine most pertinent would be so A) you have a frame of reference to know where a lot of the criticism is coming from, and B) so you better know the difference between a mod working as intended and when it's done hosed up.

Apart from that, mods are such a matter of taste that, until you know what you like or don't like about the base game, it's hard to recommend a particular variety.

Yeah, most of the mods are fortunately not of the "only with new game or ETERNAL FAILURE" variety, so you can just plug one in and keep going..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I really really like the Nora companion mod which strongly encourages starting a new game for, but that's the only one I can think of.