Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Huge when it takes a day to walk from one village to the next, and most people never travel further than 5 miles from their home for their whole life is relative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so it took one day for gendry to run back to eastwatch, a raven to get to dragonstone, and dany to fly to save them? lmao

arya's scenes are just the worst. i didn't think i'd loathe them more than when she was in braavos but here he are.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I was hoping Arya reuniting with the rest of the cast would improve her.

Now I just wish she stayed in Braavos.

Unless she's playing a long con the turn they've taken with her can never fully be salvaged.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

learnincurve posted:

Huge when it takes a day to walk from one village to the next, and most people never travel further than 5 miles from their home for their whole life is relative.

"See, it works perfectly if we discard everything we know and were told and substitute with our own facts!"
I take the "the showrunners are idiots who stopped caring years ago" instead. And it's not even a "the normies don't care" thing either any more, since I heard the teleporting thing used as running gag by several causal watchers too (and they haven't even seen E6 yet). As said, if sparingly used Speed Of Plot is fine, but if you overdo it, it interferes with your story.

Decius fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 17, 2017

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

GaussianCopula posted:

Winterfell to King's Landing is about 1400 miles, using the length of the wall as a scale, because it is exactly 300 miles long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB43KvksNWw&t=444s

From 7x01

"There's a thousand miles between us and Cersei"

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Like I keep saying, it isn't a deal breaker. It isn't even the worst thing about the show, not by a long shot. The travel times really aren't that bad.

But with the length and pace of this season, it's way more noticeable. This past episode, especially. The way scenes and characters are written isn't helping it, at all. It feels like barely any time is passing between episodes, yet we've covered a month at the very least by now, probably more. It's kind of disorienting to me this season, where in the past seasons it was just fun to make fun of it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

learnincurve posted:

It was worse if you were a noble or a royal because it would have been insulting to travel past a great house and not stay over. Kings and queens in particular were notorious for using this as an excuse to have big 5 day banquets and gatherings at some poor sod's expense. Charles I, Henry VIII, and Elizabeth I were the worst for rolling in and bankrupting people.

Yeah but the alternative is to have Mansa Musa bring his own gold when he comes to visit and crash the whole country's economy.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
The rowboat meme is where the serie jumped the shark. Is still very good TV, because it has a solid foundation, but I can see it turn into "the monster of the week" type of serie, once it has kill all current characters and monsters.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 17, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Can't wait for another bad rear end episode of Game of Thrones, this weekend.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tei posted:

The rowboat meme is where the serie jumped the shark. Is still very good TV, because it has a solid foundation, but I can see it turn into "the monster of the week" type of serie, once it has kill all current characters and monsters.

That isn't going to happen but it would actually be badass.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WampaLord posted:

I mean, time is a major plot hole in Empire Strikes Back (Did Luke become a Jedi in a week or did Han and Leia hang in that worm belly for months?) and that's still one of the best movies ever, so at a point just get over it or don't.

I thought the most famous one was Beauty and the Beast. The plot in the castle seems to take months while the village plot can't take more than a few days.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dave Brookshaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB43KvksNWw&t=444s

From 7x01

"There's a thousand miles between us and Cersei"

Yeah, but ... what about her eeeeeeeemailes?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I thought the most famous one was Beauty and the Beast. The plot in the castle seems to take months while the village plot can't take more than a few days.

Hahaha, really? I never picked up on that one. Obviously Belle spends a lot of time with the Beast, but what is there to suggest that the village plot is happening that quickly?

Tei posted:

It has like 8 episodes left, how the gently caress would it become a "monster of the week" series?

Take less research chemicals, Tei.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like you wouldn't watch a monster-hunting series starring Beric, the Hound, and Brienne.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
My favorite weird plot point in Beauty and the Beast is that the Beast is like 10 years old when he gets cursed. Harsh.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
gently caress that, I want a CRPG where I can play that exactly party

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Ayra that wierdo you hung out with freshman year of college but now you trying to ditch after you got your degree and your professional life

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

WampaLord posted:

Take less research chemicals, Tei.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

lmao

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Actually it's good you loving whiny nerd.

no it is not and you are a bitch :)

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

hahahahahaha well played :golfclap:

Take FEWER research chemicals. Good and grammatically sound advice.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

GRRM is on the record saying he hosed up making the wall too big. Has he said anything regarding the size of the world he made? He obviously knows gently caress all about distances if he was trying to go for a realistic approach to things.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

no it is not and you are a bitch :)
:eyepoop:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
(i think "less" is actually correct there unless you want to imply that you should limit the variety of designer drugs you take, but it's still a great joke)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vintersorg posted:

GRRM is on the record saying he hosed up making the wall too big. Has he said anything regarding the size of the world he made? He obviously knows gently caress all about distances if he was trying to go for a realistic approach to things.

GRRM basically has a forward in ASOS saying "the timeline probably doesn't make 100% sense if you try to absolutely work it out, deal with it" so

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

This poo poo has been wildly exaggerated. GRRM made the wall too tall, yeah, but he isn't a loving retard who doesn't understand basic arithmetic or distances. If he has ever driven a car from one city to another, he knows and understands how far 100miles is. He made Westeros deliberately as big as South America. He might regret that choice now in hindsight, but he is not innumerate.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

esperterra posted:

Like I keep saying, it isn't a deal breaker. It isn't even the worst thing about the show, not by a long shot. The travel times really aren't that bad.

But with the length and pace of this season, it's way more noticeable. This past episode, especially. The way scenes and characters are written isn't helping it, at all. It feels like barely any time is passing between episodes, yet we've covered a month at the very least by now, probably more. It's kind of disorienting to me this season, where in the past seasons it was just fun to make fun of it.

its exacerbated by dany having a giant army and no food and people mentioning food and it not mattering at all to her for Reasons

like put in one line about them finding a grassland area to station to the dothraki until they're needed , good grief

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
as far as speeding up the season goes, I care about the lack of the slower paced dialogue scenes that should have been there when, say, Tyrion and Jaime linked back up, then "oh no the logistics"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I mean, Westeros' shape is obviously modeled after the British Isles. I'm pretty sure he tried making Westeros the same size by area, but quickly ran into all kinds of problems like climate zones(the siberian North& tropic Dorne only 100s of miles apart) not making any sense and the politics being all hosed up. Like, if Westeros was smaller it would probably be much more centralized and less culturally diverse, etc.

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

i like how evidently neither meera nor bran thought the nights watch or the starks would like to know that benjen is still kicking.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

WampaLord posted:

hahahahahaha well played :golfclap:

Take FEWER research chemicals. Good and grammatically sound advice.

I watched episode 5 in Spain (on the correct day) and Davos's little in-joke was completely lost in the subtitles.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I mean, Westeros' shape is obviously modeled after the British Isles. I'm pretty sure he tried making Westeros the same size by area, but quickly ran into all kinds of problems like climate zones(the siberian North& tropic Dorne only 100s of miles apart) not making any sense and the politics being all hosed up. Like, if Westeros was smaller it would probably be much more centralized and less culturally diverse, etc.

Either that or the fictional planet they live on is smaller, which would explain the wild differences in climate.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
We have not even seen a complete map of the planet. The part the characters travel in the serie seems to be a small part of a bigger area. Kind of like Morrowind (the game) was only Vvardenfell.

Anyway the reason people have a feel people is teleporting is a bad script / rushed exposition / whatever you call it. A better director would find a way to insert a half a second scene or other way to inform the viewers about the time.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Here's a map of the "known world". This is from HBO's site so we can assume it's accurate for the show.

Here's the one from the Lands of Ice and Fire book.

In the book map specifically it's pretty clear that we are not seeing a "pole to pole" view, maybe only the northern hemisphere and a bit of the southern. Nonetheless it's obvious even in the show that Westeros stretches across a number of climate zones and clearly isn't just a little island like Britain. It is a very large continent.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Either that or the fictional planet they live on is smaller, which would explain the wild differences in climate.

GRRM, in 2002 posted:

Yes, the world is round. Might be a little larger than ours, though. I was thinking more like Vance's Big Planet.... but don't hold me to that.

In case you haven't read it, Big Planet is quite a bit larger than Earth but less dense (so it has similar gravity).

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
lol at you guys going full Pepe Silvia and trying to add facts from GRRM's novelized adaptation of the hit HBO Series A Game of Thrones

Slackjawed retards watching the TV show aren't printing up WesterosMap.jpg and doing the pointy-leg-man from the Wall to King's Landing to calculate travel times

Dragonstone is like 45 minutes' flying time from Eastwatch, did you even see the episode

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, I read the leak for ep7 and I'm no longer as pissy about the show now.

Everyone, including me, needs to calm the gently caress down.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Deakul posted:

So, I read the leak for ep7 and I'm no longer as pissy about the show now.

Everyone, including me, needs to calm the gently caress down.

POST IT POST IT POST IT YOU gently caress god dammit post it NOW

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Permaban everyone who likes the show

Even better, train them to their own separate thread. A two thread solution is the only alternative. This here is not working

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
holy poo poo is nobody really going to post the Episode 7 Finale Spoilers what the gently caress

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

holy poo poo is nobody really going to post the Episode 7 Finale Spoilers what the gently caress

like three things happen

cersei sets up a betrayal with Eurons help after seeing the zombie
LF dies but no one cares and arya continues to suck
NK pokes a hole in the wall with blue flame dragon proving Jon and dany ruined everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

mastershakeman posted:

like three things happen

cersei sets up a betrayal with Eurons help after seeing the zombie
LF dies but no one cares and arya continues to suck
NK pokes a hole in the wall with blue flame dragon proving Jon and dany ruined everything

All while Jon pokes Dany's hole.

• Locked thread