Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Pander posted:

RE: Fedex flight 705

how the hell do you take that many hammer blows to the head, fight off your assailant, and land an overloaded plane after pulling excessive maneuvering?

Man.

Your brain has a lot of redundant systems. The human body, fragile and poorly designed as it is, is made to survive extreme emergency conditions for just long enough for you to get to safety. Once you're safe and you exhale and relax, that's when systems start shutting down and poo poo starts getting dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nth Doctor posted:

Don't. The writing is pre-literate children's level. The only good character is H.M. Wogglebug, T.E., and only then because of his love of puns. Everyone else is so flat they're 0 dimensional.

Correct, although the sequels go to some truly strange places. Read the 4 Wicked books instead, the quality actually goes up from the first one.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I know. It's like that time on Black Friday, where I was trying to get a gross of Butterfinger bars from Wal-Mart. I clobbered so many grandmas and children who got in my way that day, it was like I was the Hulk. Then when I got home I diarrhea'd myself and passed out on the floor.

The human body is capable of such amazing things.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

That's just because of your pastry-based diet

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The Wonderful Land takes place after the Wizard's departure. It was even made into a movie. I've only seen the movie, the book is probably different,?

A boy ran away from a witch who wanted to kill him because he brought a pumpkin-head man to life. Wobblebug is in the movie, and so are the Tin-man and the Scarecrow.

The boy is captured by female revolutionaries opposed to chores. They see overthrowing the Scarecrow as the answer. But they get distracted by looting jewelry.

It turns out the boy is actually an enchanted princess. The wizard usurped her rule and gave her to a witch. The witch turned her into a boy. In the end the princess is cured but with total amnesia.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

spankmeister posted:

That's just because of your pastry-based diet

Well, pastries are the bedrock of the North American Inverted Food Trapezoid.

Frosting does a body adequate.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Well, pastries are the bedrock of the North American Inverted Food Trapezoid.
Sometimes they're small.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
yesterday at work, we had a truck backed into the loading bay door. One of our guys was driving a forklift into it and apparently the truck driver pulled out while this was happening. The forklift and driver fell down onto the ground. Dude was okay, but he wasn't wearing his seatbelt and hopped out. I heard someone mention "he was lucky he wasn't wearing his seltbelt" and I asked why and they said "he could have broken his back". I don't think the 4 feet or however high a truck trailer is is going to break your back if you land in a forklift while strapped in. You can however be crushed to death really easily if you fall out of it.

edit: looking at youtube, this thing apparently happens all the time

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Aug 17, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pander posted:

how the hell do you take that many hammer blows to the head, fight off your assailant, and land an overloaded plane after pulling excessive maneuvering?

Man.

He has the badS flag.

:jeb:

Blueheim
Dec 2, 2006
Zelda Junkie

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

yesterday at work, we had a truck backed into the loading bay door. One of our guys was driving a forklift into it and apparently the truck driver pulled out while this was happening. The forklift and driver fell down onto the ground. Dude was okay, but he wasn't wearing his seatbelt and hopped out. I heard someone mention "he was lucky he wasn't wearing his seltbelt" and I asked why and they said "he could have broken his back". I don't think the 4 feet or however high a truck trailer is is going to break your back if you land in a forklift while strapped in. You can however be crushed to death really easily if you fall out of it.

edit: looking at youtube, this thing apparently happens all the time

Christ. Most places tell you that even an olympic jumper doesn't have a chance at jumping out because of the speed that the forklift falls over.

Jubilex
Nov 15, 2012
Is taking the keys off the driver not a thing done at some places? We get our arses kicked if they aren't in the lockbox while the truck is being serviced. Not to mention not wearing a seatbelt. The forks don't work if the belt isn't closed, and if you did it up behind yourself, I bet you'd get fired.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Blueheim posted:

Christ. Most places tell you that even an olympic jumper doesn't have a chance at jumping out because of the speed that the forklift falls over.

I'm guessing there is "extra time" when it starts falling because you have to wait for the gap between the truck and dock to grow large enough to fall through. And it wasn't a manager or anything that said it, just a random dude who worked there. I'm not sure what precautions they are going to take from now on, it didn't even happen on my shift.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Pander posted:

Man.

years (decades in this case) of experience and repetition making the necessary procedures and corrections require little in the way of active thought combined with instrumentation and automation that (under good conditions) will very easily guide you through the process.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

evobatman posted:

Your brain has a lot of redundant systems. The human body, fragile and poorly designed as it is, is made to survive extreme emergency conditions for just long enough for you to get to safety. Once you're safe and you exhale and relax, that's when systems start shutting down and poo poo starts getting dangerous.

What if instead of treating life threatening head injuries, you just put those people into extreme situations one after another to keep then alive.

Okay Bob, that hostage negotion at gun point is done and HOLY poo poo someone has to defuse this bomb that is under the car right now while driving you to your next task of infiltrating ISIS within an hour.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

EVIL Gibson posted:

What if instead of treating life threatening head injuries, you just put those people into extreme situations one after another to keep then alive.

Okay Bob, that hostage negotion at gun point is done and HOLY poo poo someone has to defuse this bomb that is under the car right now while driving you to your next task of infiltrating ISIS within an hour.
This sounds like it would make an amazing Jason Statham movie plot.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Yawgmoth posted:

I think it's already the plot of 24.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Yawgmoth posted:

I wanna see a reality TV show based around this. "Susan is a 45 year old mother of 3 from Blonksburg Kentucky who enjoys needlepoint and backgammon. If she can last 10 minutes being waterboarded she'll advance to the next round!"

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I wanna see a reality TV show based around this. "Susan is a 45 year old mother of 3 from Blonksburg Kentucky who enjoys needlepoint and backgammon. If she can last 10 minutes being waterboarded she'll advance to the next round!"

I think they did that in 24

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Still waiting for Crank 3.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Yawgmoth posted:

Pretty sure it already was, and it the movies were called Crank and then Crank: High Voltage. High voltage is a loving insane movie, it's not awesome or anything, but 20 minutes of that movie feels like you've been watching for an hour minimum.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What do you mean it's not awesome :mad:

oohhboy posted:

Still waiting for Crank 3.
Same. I was hoping Hardcore Henry would fill that void, but as nonsensical as it was, it didn't really come close in part die to its FPV gimmick.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

http://i.imgur.com/TiZ1LuD.mp4

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Say Nothing posted:

It's one of those new high-tech segmented tires.

CHISELED SPAM

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Re: brain injury chat, I suspect that's probably why the co-pilot put the plane under so much stress - if he hadn't had a baseball sized hole in his skull at the time he might have had the wherewithal to be able to achieve his goal of loving up the hijacker without defaulting to his combat training and flying a DC 10 as though it was an F-14. Would have been way less rad though.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Was hoping it'd bounce off the trampoline and into his house.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zopotantor posted:

CHISELED SPAM

Seriously. I am ready for smartwheels.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a compilation video of idiots cutting trees with chainsaws and causing all sorts of destruction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OZWjjjec9c

That channel has a bunch more CHAINSAW FAIL compilation videos if that floats your boat

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
The Russian one with the tree heavily bowed over before the cut is terrifying. After the top launches off you can see cutter whirling around the tree trying to hold on and the chainsaw on a tether chasing him around the tree. It's like a Final Destination scene come to life.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mustached Demon posted:

Was hoping it'd bounce off the trampoline and into his house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yqYv4K9v9c&t=308s

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
With a fall time of ~3.5s, the arborist is about 60m up :stare:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

what's actually wrong with that cut?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Werong Bustope posted:

Re: brain injury chat, I suspect that's probably why the co-pilot put the plane under so much stress - if he hadn't had a baseball sized hole in his skull at the time he might have had the wherewithal to be able to achieve his goal of loving up the hijacker without defaulting to his combat training and flying a DC 10 as though it was an F-14. Would have been way less rad though.

I dunno, can you continuously knock someone off their feet for like half an hour without going all Ace Combat?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

what's actually wrong with that cut?

Not a thing, arborists are OSHA by nature.

Here's a pic of the guy who helps out at my place!

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Volcott posted:

I dunno, can you continuously knock someone off their feet for like half an hour without going all Ace Combat?

I'm just kinda basing that off the fact that a) he himself was like "I didn't actually know if I was helping" and b) that he didn't mean to almost hit Mach 1, he just didn't clock that the throttle was still fully engaged, which suggests he was operating more intuitively than making conscious decisions. Though then again he had the gumption to roll a DC-10 but the sense not to flip it on its back and ruin his visibility so who knows.

Either way, both him and the captain must spend a lot on reinforced trousers for their enormous brass balls.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zopotantor posted:

CHISELED SPAM

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Werong Bustope posted:

I'm just kinda basing that off the fact that a) he himself was like "I didn't actually know if I was helping" and b) that he didn't mean to almost hit Mach 1, he just didn't clock that the throttle was still fully engaged, which suggests he was operating more intuitively than making conscious decisions. Though then again he had the gumption to roll a DC-10 but the sense not to flip it on its back and ruin his visibility so who knows.

Either way, both him and the captain must spend a lot on reinforced trousers for their enormous brass balls.

Flying a plane for pilots that have been doing it a long time is a lot like driving a car for everyone else, when oh poo poo moments hit a lot of instinct and their training kicks in and they end up doing things without really having to put a ton of thought into it. Source: my father flew for 30+ years and ran into plenty of situations that would have made me poo poo my pants whereas he did everything right and avoided tragedies.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

No, I know, that's what I'm trying to get at - it kinda feels from the story as described as though he defaulted to his air combat training, and had he not been dazed as hell he might have pulled similar manoeuvres but not to the same extreme (because he was in a plane that couldn't take that kind of stress.) They're clearly both fantastic pilots, I just found that aspect interesting.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a compilation video of idiots cutting trees with chainsaws and causing all sorts of destruction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OZWjjjec9c

That channel has a bunch more CHAINSAW FAIL compilation videos if that floats your boat

the last one is a lesson in not trying to outrun a tree

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Werong Bustope posted:

No, I know, that's what I'm trying to get at - it kinda feels from the story as described as though he defaulted to his air combat training, and had he not been dazed as hell he might have pulled similar manoeuvres but not to the same extreme (because he was in a plane that couldn't take that kind of stress.) They're clearly both fantastic pilots, I just found that aspect interesting.

Ahhh gotcha, so we're saying the same thing you say? gently caress you, I'M MORE RIGHT drat IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless