Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I think her name was Rhoda Teneiro or something like that

A pun that I don't get if one exists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ace Attorney Wiki posted:

"Rhoda" comes from the Ancient Greek for "rose" or "from the island of Rhodes" (a Greek island that is economically tourist-orientated). Her name shares the first three letters with "rhombus" which, considering her hairstyle and the shape of the buttons on her air hostess uniform, seems fitting.

"Teneiro" is similar to the Italian word "tenero", which means "tender", "soft", "delicate", or "kind". This would fit with how she is meant to portray herself in her job.

Her full English name could be a play on "road to nowhere", an accurate description of her suitcase sales. Alternatively, it could be a play on "the narrow road" when written surname first. It also bears a phonetic resemblance to Rio de Janeiro, the second largest city of Brazil and a popular holiday destination.

It's mostly derived from her Japanese name, which roughly translates to "This thin road," referring to her being narrow-minded, possibly in suspecting Edgeworth right away.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Rode a Ten Year Old

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

A good rule of thumb is if the meaning of a name isn't super apparent, it's probably a reference to their Japanese name.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm on that case now, and I didn't realise how much I missed Gumshoe until this.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
boy that rakugo case is somewhat impenetrable for people who aren't at all familiar with that aspect of classical japanese theater, huh?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Not really. The case gave enough details about it so anyone could follow along as long as they weren't lightly skimming.

Honestly I feel like you'd be in for a rougher time if you didn't pay attention to the difference between udon and soba.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Completely rewrite the entire case so it's about standups, case revolves around the Aristocrats.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Not really. The case gave enough details about it so anyone could follow along as long as they weren't lightly skimming.

Honestly I feel like you'd be in for a rougher time if you didn't pay attention to the difference between udon and soba.

The noodle bit is forreal the only actually impenetrable part. Suddenly everyone is talking about different types of noodle dough with japanese names as if I were supposed to understand the significance (and I was!!) I mean yeah I inferred it eventually but boy was it clumsy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
if you don't know the difference between soba and udon boy are you missing out

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Waffleman_ posted:

Completely rewrite the entire case so it's about standups, case revolves around the Aristocrats.

"So this family walks into an attorney's office..."

Miyamoto Musashi
Jul 22, 2006

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I think her name was Rhoda Teneiro or something like that

A pun that I don't get if one exists

I never got that one either and it's always bothered me. I've turned it over and over in my head, too. Although it literally just occurred to me now that "Rhoda Teneiro" might sounds a lot like "Robert De Niro," if you say it fast enough. I don't know what the one has to do with the other, though.

AAI is a game I dearly love. I like that it tried something a little different, and I genuinely enjoyed all the cases, though the last one does go on a bit too long. I've heard so many great things about the sequel, and I'd love to play it, but even something fairly simple like patching and emulation is pretty far past me, so I think I'll probably just hope the English edition ends up on the eShop someday.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Miyamoto Musashi posted:

AAI is a game I dearly love. I like that it tried something a little different, and I genuinely enjoyed all the cases, though the last one does go on a bit too long. I've heard so many great things about the sequel, and I'd love to play it, but even something fairly simple like patching and emulation is pretty far past me, so I think I'll probably just hope the English edition ends up on the eShop someday.

This will never happen. Like, actually never. So if you're willing to find out how to use an emulator [32-bit version] (download, set up controls for DS buttons in "Config", select "Open Rom"), then i'd be willing to point you to where you can find a pre-patched rom in a PM.

The only other thing you should probably do then is double the display size via the menu "View > Magnification Filter > Nearest 2X", unless you enjoy stamp vision.

edit: you might not even need to set up button controls, since i think the entire game can be controlled with the stylus mouse.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Aug 18, 2017

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

There's also some option I needed to select so that the game didn't run at .5 speed or something stupid. Can't remember the details though.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Fangz posted:

if you don't know the difference between soba and udon boy are you missing out

There is a place near my job that makes soba and using soup, and playing through that case inspired me to try both for the first time. They were both delicious, but I liked soba better. :)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

AAI2 is never going to be officially localized. It sucks, but your only option is emulation.

Please play it. It is amazing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's going to be an Ace Attorney show at Tokyo Game Show this year. We know for a fact there's going to be discussion about Apollo Justice 3DS, with Apollo's JP voice actor being a guest, but I would not discount the possibility of an AA7 tease, seeing as it's already been a year since SoJ and they announce these games about a year out from release.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So am I a idiot for not figuring out that (5-1 investigation spoilers) they wanted me to have one of the orb puzzle box things between two pieces? Because that feels kinda mean to not at least have it be a hint.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

idk but it took me longer than it should have to realize you weren't talking about Turnabout Countdown

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

So am I a idiot for not figuring out that (5-1 investigation spoilers) they wanted me to have one of the orb puzzle box things between two pieces? Because that feels kinda mean to not at least have it be a hint.

No, I had to look it up because I didn't even realize you could do that and thought you could only move it in increments of two. The treasure would have been safe from me, so I guess the security works.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

There actually is a hint about it if you get to the point where you can consult, iirc.

Unrelated: I hope Datz becomes Apollo's Gumshoe.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

fractalairduct posted:

There actually is a hint about it if you get to the point where you can consult, iirc.

Unrelated: I hope Datz becomes Apollo's Gumshoe.

Impossible, that's Ema

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Would Datz be his Maya or would that be Rayfa?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rayfa is part of the Little Sister Squad with Trucy and Athena.

Nahyuta is his new Klavier.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Think he gets invited over for family dinner on Sundays?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Rayfa is part of the Little Sister Squad with Trucy and Athena.

Nahyuta is his new Klavier.

Athena is not part of the little sister squad, though she could stand to have more characters associated with her and some solo stories.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

chumbler posted:

Athena is not part of the little sister squad, though she could stand to have more characters associated with her and some solo stories.

Everybody gets three game arcs so lets enjoy the next 3 games all about Athena.

Hopefully we travel to "Europe" a lot in that one.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I really do think that AA7 will be an Athena story, even if they introduce a new character to round out the Agency, much like how DD was an Apollo story despite introducing Athena.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i cant belive apollo justice became the best character in the series and now hes dead

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

i cant belive apollo justice became the best character in the series and now hes dead

He'll be back, as a cyborg.

I joke but this game actually did involve a boss battle against a head of state.

I do wonder what they'll have to do to escalate things next time. Quite possibly literally dying (or at least comatose) and having to perform defence attorney duties in Hell.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Inescapable Duck posted:

He'll be back, as a cyborg.

I joke but this game actually did involve a boss battle against a head of state.

I do wonder what they'll have to do to escalate things next time. Quite possibly literally dying (or at least comatose) and having to perform defence attorney duties in Hell.

"I d-i-d i-t. P-l-e-a-s-e c-o-n-v-i-c-t m-e."
"Objection! The prosecution is literally possessing my client!"
"I, T-h-e D-e-f-e-n-d-a-n-t, h-a-v-e n-o p-r-o-b-l-e-m-s w-i-t-h t-h-i-s. N-o-w, i-f I c-o-u-l-d c-o-n-t-i-n-u-e w-i-t-h m-y c-o-n-f-e-s-s-i-o-n..."
"Overruled. Please, continue with your confession, Defendant."

See the thrilling conclusion in: Phoenix Wright: All Lawyers Go To Hell.

(Hilariously, it's probably not the hardest case Phoenix would have had to handle.)

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Lawyering from beyond the grave would be the natural conclusion to the spirit channelling

also agreed that Athena should get an extended arc to herself. my dream is that they use her arc to bring back Franny

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, Fran and Gumshoe are the only characters left that we really need to check in with. Edgeworth can stay home.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm really looking forward to a game all about Wendy Oldbag

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I'm really looking forward to a game all about Wendy Oldbag

This would fit with the lawyering-in-hell thing too.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i don't get the love for apollo justice but at the same time i get the feeling that people who really like apollo and think phoenix should be retired don't understand what's likeable about nick. it's an ouroborus of misunderstanding

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I love Nick but he's already had his time to shine and really overstayed his welcome in the spotlight, and it actively damaged Apollo in his first game.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like both Nick and Apollo. I like Athena too!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Pairing Athena with Franziska as a comparative straight man would rule. She can be doing a stint at interpol or wherever Fran works now.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also Adrian has to come because they have an apartment together.