Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Ben fat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

:same:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

toanoradian posted:

I may not say it, but I appreciate posts made by these people:
peter gabriel
G0RF
Derek Sm-I mean, Beet Wagon
Beer4TheBeerGod
people who explained IT and game development concepts

You made this thread a worthy read, thank you

There have been so many fantastic posters here and in threads past. Too many to list!

Variable 5 posted:

I've brought it up before and you've said the same thing before.

The button is in the wrong spot. Isn't this where we came in?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Ben is the anchor of our comedy, in that we go overboard and sink to the bottom really loving quickly.

Ben is the anchor of anything related to CIG lol. The only thing he doesn't weigh down is Crobbler's ego

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

We need to stick to the high road like getting borderline autistic people in a podcast stream to earnestly answer stupid questions.

I still can't fuckin believe they allowed that to go on as long as they did. That's loving desperation. Someone should have screenshot the look on WTFO's face when he read out my "[Q] Goons, yes or no?" line lol

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

It's okay friend, I also find all this stuff addictively funny/horrible, but putting the kibosh on politics chat is the easiest/best way to keep the subforum from devolving into an even bigger shitshow than it already is lol.

Let's stick to high-brow topics like wondering exactly how fat ben is or what the best way to own a wheelchair kid is.

:hf:

I just remembered the stream the other day, goodness me. How can you seriously theory-craft about a loving newsvan? Unless there are ninja turtles and a rad pizza thrower on top of the thing, I'm at a loss as to how that could be a real draw when compared to pew pew lasers in space

I don't think they'll read out my questions in future, I think they're onto me

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The funniest thing is Derek loves his double-inverse. Its like dumb Xbox thing years ago

"Q: Why do they call it the Xbox 360?
A: Because when you see it, you turn 360 degrees and walk away."

Good job, Derek, you've double negatived.

Whenever I hear the 360 thing, I always think of this

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

tuo posted:

Ben fat?

My posting is a lot like Ben's blood sugar levels: out of control.

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Mr.Tophat posted:

:hf:

I just remembered the stream the other day, goodness me. How can you seriously theory-craft about a loving newsvan? Unless there are ninja turtles and a rad pizza thrower on top of the thing, I'm at a loss as to how that could be a real draw when compared to pew pew lasers in space

I don't think they'll read out my questions in future, I think they're onto me

I think we may have forgotten but CIG literally sold a news van variant for a news profession. INN had one.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Toops posted:

Serious question: If the star citizen fans and believers feel fulfilled during this entire process, doesn't the communal star citizen open development experience have intrinsic value?

Nah. Feeding stupid people stupid poo poo just makes it all the more stupid, not more valuable.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

Ben is the anchor of anything related to CIG lol. The only thing he doesn't weigh down is Crobbler's ego

We shouldn't be so hard on Ben. There are medical reasons why he can't loose weight. You see, he only has about 50% or 60% of eyesight left. If I extrapolate my loss in eyesight over the last five years in regards to my weight loss, Ben might actually blind himself by loosing weight.

I'm also both a doctor and a mathematician, AMA

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

Toops posted:

Serious question: If the star citizen fans and believers feel fulfilled during this entire process, doesn't the communal star citizen open development experience have intrinsic value?

This would be true if everyone involved didn't actually think there is going to be a game and the communal theorycrafting was all there is. But they believe there is going to be a game much like they described. They are being scammed and its not okay.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also, I'm glad I'm dead after attempting the Lesnick Triple Threat Challenge. I'd call my parents but cellphone reception is poo poo in hell.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Mr Fronts posted:

Someone add "by Ryan Archer" please.

Please get it right. It's:

By
Ryan
Archer

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I think we may have forgotten but CIG literally sold a news van variant for a news profession. INN had one.

No no, I know that. Well, not the INN thing lol

But actively trying to pad out the gameplay of a newsvan, if you find your mouth filled with words like, "Maybe people will subscribe like they do in twitch!" it should give your imagination pause

But that's never gunna happen because these people are gullible magical thinking fools with less money than expectations

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

The dude doing these has moved the gently caress on

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

tuo posted:

I'm also both a doctor and a mathematician, AMA

Are apple cumulative in effect to doctors?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Toops posted:

It's kind of like people believing in that false religion that promises people cool stuff when they'll actually be burning in hell

Do you think that's okay too??

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

I was going to talk in this thread about a post made in spectrum entitled "If Star Citizen has a problem, it's Chris Roberts himself". I was going to TL;DR the wall of text and point out some of the responses which showed the brown sea turning against CR.

Unfortunately...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/if-star-citizen-has-a-problem-it-s-chris-roberts-h/393794

Thanks a lot, jerkizens :mad:.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

tuo posted:

imo, Derek is the icing on the cake of this whole CIG shitshow. I don't think it would be as funny as it is without him constantly loving up while stealing goon valor and following it up with a puppetmaster-tweet.

I do sometimes think Derek needs a safety to temper his itchyTwitter finger.

Then again, he wouldn't be Derek if he didn't run through the door screaming in a blaze of gunfire.

Derek OS posted:

"When they started this shitshow - and make no mistake that is EXACTLY what you will get when you pick a fight with a warlord troll like me and you make it personal - they KNEW there would be collateral damage! This isn't my first rodeo - Chris messed with the biggest baddest bull around, and guess what? He's getting the horns back from me, not the milk! There WILL be collateral damage because I'm not going to WAR armed just with sticks and stones. Once you go to war (or rodeo) with a Warlord (or Bull) like me I will use EVERYTHING in my power until the last man falls. You don't want collateral damage? You don't want bystanders injured? Well you should've thought twice before you picked this fight! Because this isn't personal, it's strictly business, and my business Is :words: (cont.)"

G0RF fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 17, 2017

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Shame on whoever bought uncle derek that boring new av, last one was gold

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Mr.Tophat posted:

Are apple cumulative in effect to doctors?

My control group of one clearly points to: maybe

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

"People who buy ships aren't stupid." - Ben Lesnick, Master of Ships.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

tuo posted:

My control group of one clearly points to: maybe

Gunna bite a whole lot of apples to make a doctor fly then!

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

toanoradian posted:

I may not say it, but I appreciate posts made by these people:
peter gabriel
G0RF
Derek Sm-I mean, Beet Wagon
Beer4TheBeerGod
people who explained IT and game development concepts

You made this thread a worthy read, thank you

Ahem.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

G0RF posted:

I do sometimes think Derek needs a safety to temper his itchyTwitter finger.

Then again, he wouldn't be Derek if he didn't run through the door screaming in a blaze of gunfire.

Imo Derek's posts - irregardless of platform - are best if CIG is in full self-own mode on it's own, because he doesn't need to add to the LOLs and posts quite level-headed (yeah, I said it) and even invests time to structure and lay out the level of CIG self-own.

I think it's cringe-worthy to the max when he posts another fake ELE thinking that he actually stirrs up something that isn't there (or "rattles their chains", as he calls it), and basically only shows how desperate he is for negative press about "his sworn enemy" CIG. Whenever that happens, I always think to myself "all you had to do was sit back and wait at little longer, why make a fool of yourself by constructing something that isn't here?".

In the end, it's also lol, so yeah...

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the thread should have stayed in GBS because Derek would have been properly laughed off the forums there

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer
So I'm increasingly hyped for monster hunter world, and thought I'd point out a big difference between star citizen and the MHW dev's presentation.

In Star Citizen presentations, you see a prerendered trailer they insist is being played that shows off the most basic sorts of gamplay. When things go wrong, the game crashes or a scene plays twice. If rumors are right, the coming demo is being learned by rote.

In a MHW reveal stream, a dev was playing the game live and wanted to show a new feature, being that monsters will fight each other rather than focus on the player. In order to do this, he needed to lure the monster he was currently fighting up towards the top of the map where there was a Rathalos (basic dragon) nest. After luring the first monster out, he hit it a bunch to make sure it was paying attention then started to run up to the top of the map. Partway up, the monster lost interest and started to walk away. After thinking about it for a moment, the director decided to show off another kind of mantle (a sort of cloak equippable that can be swapped out on the fly) used to taunt monsters. He put it on, the monster followed him, and he got it and the Rathalos to fight for a bit. At that point, the monster ran off. The dev pulled out a flare gun and summoned in 3 more players (a planned event to show off the ability to join games mid-hunt) and they all engaged the rathalos. Unfortunately, they were undergeared for it and realized they weren't going to be able to kill it, so they ran off and re-engaged the original monster, just managing to kill it before the timer ran out. The game is 65% done and due out 'early 2018'.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

I dunno dude you're pretty inconsistent, really depends on whose shift it is tbqh

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

You can't fool me, that's a Cyclone!

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

big nipples big life posted:

the thread should have stayed in GBS because Derek would have been properly laughed off the forums there

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
What was so awful about NMS again? I never played it or paid attention to the hype.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

:lol: eight days my arse. I'll come back to this thread in six months and nothing will have changed.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

lol

Achamp
Oct 19, 2005
The two hhhwhat.... The two yutes your honor

I liked you during that short period of time you admitted CIG's failings without the always reliable hedging and hem-hawing. I think it was after that last disastrous holiday livestream. The only other thing you bring to the table is getting DS worked into a tizzy, which is funny for a few posts until the slapping gif gets fired up.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

Danknificent posted:

What was so awful about NMS again? I never played it or paid attention to the hype.

It was a dull exploration/crafting game whose gameplay would have barely justified a 20 dollar MRSP, let alone the 60 dollar one it got. There was lots of bullshitting by Sean Murray about what was/wasn't in the game (he'd NEVER say no to an "is X in the game" question, and even said yes to multiplayer despite knowing it wasn't in the game) which along with the high price tag and general hype contributed to massively inflated expectations about what the game would provide.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sean Murray did a half assed croberts and said maybe instead of yes to everything anyone asked before releasing the game (a mistake croberts probably won't make).

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tippis posted:

Nah. Feeding stupid people stupid poo poo just makes it all the more stupid, not more valuable.

I personally believe there is great value in keeping stupid people distracted and out of the way.

I wonder if we could set up Star Citizen "camps" where they could all live and "work" in a kind of splendid isolation, apart from the more valuable and productive members of society.

idk just an idea.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Danknificent posted:

People got hyped for a science-fiction second-life that promised to supply a lifetime of exploration and empire building which wasn't entirely helped by a developer getting shoved into the limelight and doing a Crobbers-esque series of frantic affirmations. At launch it turned out that the players were all sharded in the same universe, like ED on 'Solo'.

Haters dogpiled on the whole MMO thing pointing out that it was a claimed promise, while stoners went away and explored. Turned out that you could hit the 'endgame' point in around 10 hours if you had luck and a following wind, which raised the complaints to 11.

Shittons of refunds and returns were made, with Hello games promising to make good.

As of now, it's still a slightly broken rogue-like that benefits from the finest herbage and time that now includes many of the features that people wanted, including bases, building freighters to haul around, a better flight system and less weird design choices. Of particular note is a crashed freighter that makes up part of a new 'storyline' and some radiant quest stuff.

I actually liked it at launch, but it wasn't worth the price. Now it's worth $20 if you like to turn your brain off and gently caress around on a planet that may or may not want to kill you.

Elite is pretty good as a chill game to play pretend spaceman for a few hours every so often but I can't put tons of hours in a day or over a couple days in a row into it. A lot of sims are slow burn like that for me though, I love the silent hunter series to death but it's not something I can play all the time.

I bomb North Korea on a very irregular basis in CMANO.

I'm justifying this based on an insight into jury selection, but also because it's loving hilarious - https://harpers.org/archive/2017/09/public-enemy/

Edit: kant spull 'sharded'.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

the thread should have stayed in GBS Games because Derek would have been properly laughed off the forums there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Latin Pheonix posted:

I was going to talk in this thread about a post made in spectrum entitled "If Star Citizen has a problem, it's Chris Roberts himself". I was going to TL;DR the wall of text and point out some of the responses which showed the brown sea turning against CR.

Unfortunately...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/if-star-citizen-has-a-problem-it-s-chris-roberts-h/393794

Thanks a lot, jerkizens :mad:.

Ahh. I see you've discovered the primary purpose of spectrum. Working as intended.