Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

PhazonLink posted:

I'm skimming, so it was probably already mentioned, but bares repeating.

Nugent shat his pants to get out of going to Nam.

His stupid mug showing up here always warrants remind us that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Is this what happens when your heating lamp isn't as hot as it used to be and you don't get fresh lettuce?

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Looks fine to me

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

geonetix posted:

Most terror attacks are domestic, wherever they are.

And what matters isn't really calling some event terrorism or not (certainly seems to be the case here,) but what response those people are calling for. 9/11 was a terrorism but I think it's hard to argue that our response was effective, given where we are 16 years later (Jesus.)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Mustached Demon posted:

His stupid mug showing up here always warrants remind us that.

and it should be repeated enough so the Bird Sphere twitter warriors mention it with in the first two replies of anything about the Nuge.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

DreamShipWrecked posted:

https://twitter.com/Patztense/status/898192039258574849

In case you want to see more videos of jumped up idiots

Totally not nazis guys *wears biker helmet shaped to look like nazi helmet*

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

To date i don't believe any of those European attacks were caused by migrants and it pisses me off to no end that people keep trying to link increased immigration with terrorism.

They're considering the children of migrants to be migrants, whether they realize it or not. Really it's just a dog whistle for non-white people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SocketWrench posted:

Totally not nazis guys *wears biker helmet shaped to look like nazi helmet*

Its about heritage not hate, its totally just coincidence we're flying the Battle Flag of the Confederate Army right next to Swastikas, we swear.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Quorum posted:

Yeah, each state gets to put up two statues in the Capitol, either in the rotunda or statuary hall or in various nooks and rooms around the building. Virginia's two are George Washington (who's in the Rotunda) and Lee (whom Pelosi moved to the Crypt :allears:).

As far as cool Southern figures go, I'm a fan of Elizabeth van Lew. Southern society lady who spent her entire life buying and freeing slaves, focusing on families who were about to be separated at the auction block in Richmond. When the Civil War broke out, she was an outspoken Unionist throughout, and was known for visiting prisoners of war to bring small comforts; on numerous occasions she helped prisoners escape to Union lines. She also turned her huge network of former slaves into one of the most effective spy rings in American history. She even managed to convince Davis's wife to hire one of those freed slaves, Mary Bowser, to serve at the Confederate White House (and pass huge amounts of Intel back to van Lew). Reportedly, her spy network was so efficient she occasionally sent Grant fresh flowers from her garden and a copy of the Richmond newspaper. After the war, she was so hated that when she died, her Northern friends, including some of those escaped soldiers, placed an enormous boulder on her grave so she couldn't be dug up and thrown in the river.

I want her to replace Jeff Davis on Monument Avenue. (JEB Stuart should be replaced by Chief Powhatan; Maury by Oliver Hill IMO.)

Why does the Capitol have a crypt

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
So the Korean War, World War II and the civil war all restarted in the last two weeks?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

I dunno man, the Spanish are vaguely brownish in the right light, wouldn't want to look soft to his base

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

exploded mummy posted:

It's a leftover from before Strom Thurmond's phylactery was located and destroyed

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

FlamingLiberal posted:

To date i don't believe any of those European attacks were caused by migrants and it pisses me off to no end that people keep trying to link increased immigration with terrorism.

The Paris attacks that killed 130 people were majority migrants from the year before.
This was a planned attack though and they were using fake details to get into the country.

The car driving attacks sure, those are mostly just naturalized local idiots conned or deluded into thinking its for a cause.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
https://twitter.com/FOX10Phoenix/status/898221429686018048

Any rock scientists want to tell me what happened here?

What it looked like before

https://s3.amazonaws.com/gs-waymarking-images/5d166d89-3ec5-48bc-83b5-103aa42b1a24.jpg

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

exploded mummy posted:

Lot of people had a creepy Washington fetish and wanted him buried under the rotunda, but he was not a fan of the idea.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/DukeU/status/898198427103842306

Of course Duke students do a half-assed job.

Duke's in Durham, the same city that tore down the other statue.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

https://www.aoc.gov/blog/how-crypt-got-its-name

It's just a vestibule but it's below the capitol so they started calling it the crypt and the name stuck.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They're considering the children of migrants to be migrants, whether they realize it or not. Really it's just a dog whistle for non-white people.

Second generation immigrants tend to be much more likely to get drafted by groups like ISIS; there's a tendency among that group to have issues with their personal identities and feeling displaced from both cultures so they seek acceptance from groups. ISIS and other terrorist groups prey on this.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Lol the facist rally that was going on this weekend in Lansing suddenly evaporated from the calendar.

Funny, that

Even the Michigan GOP isn't that stupid. Color me surprised

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Looks like an act of nature to me.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

because mcclellan got trounced by lincoln in the 1864 election, which basically ended any hope for the confederacy to survive

Unfortunately he was enough of a threat that Lincoln picked (bad democrat) Andrew Johnson as his VP for a union ticket, with terrible consequences for reconstruction.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hahaha https://twitter.com/troma_llama/status/898229943586267136

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Aug 17, 2017

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

exploded mummy posted:

Because one day they'll reanimate the bones and Mecha-MLK will destroy the Washington monument just as Trump is predicting. He's standing eternal vigilance over it, waiting.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

So is there anything practical we can actually do to stop these van/truck attacks or is it just something we need to live with? Like I can't think of any reasonable security solution that wouldn't massively intrude on citizens who use cars you know, pretty regularly.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

next up stone mountain

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

exploded mummy posted:

To hold all of the people the Clintons have killed

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

JerikTelorian posted:

So is there anything practical we can actually do to stop these van/truck attacks or is it just something we need to live with?

You can't stop people from finding new and creative ways to kill others.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Society depends on accepting the risk that somebody random might kill you at any moment. The question is if you try to solve this problem by catching people right before they do this, or by making it less likely that they want to act in such an antisocial way.

In either case, you have to just go on and live your life. People in Baghdad still go to the markets. I'm sure it's fearful but that's what you have to do.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

pro as gently caress watch

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Cru Jones posted:

Because one day they'll reanimate the bones and Mecha-MLK will destroy the Washington monument just as Trump is predicting. He's standing eternal vigilance over it, waiting.

I'll never understand the statue to Dear Leader MLK.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

JerikTelorian posted:

So is there anything practical we can actually do to stop these van/truck attacks or is it just something we need to live with? Like I can't think of any reasonable security solution that wouldn't massively intrude on citizens who use cars you know, pretty regularly.

ban cars? put dragon's teeth up around every driving surface so you can't leave the road? require nothing but automated cars with some non-network accessible failsafes to prevent them from leaving the road?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

JerikTelorian posted:

Target needs to share their orb technology.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

https://twitter.com/Patztense/status/898192039258574849

In case you want to see more videos of jumped up idiots

So towards the end of the video, who are the militia men showing? Who are they protecting? It looks like they are showing nazis in it?

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

What the hell did they do to it?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plate tectonics

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

AlexJade posted:

Got Sherman'd.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Mozi posted:

You make a valid point, but I think that these divisions have just continued to deepen throughout all the episodes you cite and are particularly exacerbated by some modern-day things like online propaganda. The present situation has been a very long time coming, to be sure. If we could expect a period of peace and growth after the current episode that would help but I don't think that is going to happen, for various reasons.

I would very much like to be proven wrong, of course.

You think divisions now are deeper than when black people had to march in order to maybe please not be lynched and possibly even get to vote? :thunk:

botany fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 17, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vahakyla posted:

So towards the end of the video, who are the militia men showing? Who are they protecting? It looks like they are showing nazis in it?

Looks to me like someone they knew got hit in the head with something so they threw out anyone who wasn't with them.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

AlexJade posted:

I haven't found any close ups, but I think they may have tarred and feathered it?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

AlexJade posted:

Looks like road tar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

botany posted:

You think divisions now are deeper than when black people had to march in order to maybe please not by lynched and possibly even get to vote? :thunk:

Good point, I concede that.

• Locked thread