Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Mr. Apollo posted:

lol "interesting". That's what you say when you're trying not to be insulting.
"I think this movie has got a great personality."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

"Four days of reshoots!"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Davros1 posted:

"Four days of reshoots!"

Yeah that line made me chuckle. FOUR WHOLE DAYS!

I can even picture him holding up four fingers for the interviewer.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

ImpAtom posted:

Looking forward to five years of "every strength of the movie was Whedon/Snyder, every flaw of the movie was Snyder/Whedon."

Me, but I'm going to use Whedon for both names. It's the CineD equivalent of throwing a smoke bomb to cause chaos.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ImpAtom posted:

Looking forward to five years of "every strength of the movie was Whedon/Snyder, every flaw of the movie was Snyder/Whedon."

I look forward to this South Park response being deployed even more frequently, as a distraction from the the question of whether the quips* are actually good in context.**

*"wind-up exploding penguins"

**'good' having nothing to do with taste and everything to do with, like, whether the communist Superman is going to be born again as a pragmatic liberal ghoul (e.g. what happened to Captain America).

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

quote:

This is a really nice time to work in DC. They’re hitting their stride. They’re getting it right. It’s starting to feel like it’s really working.
Wow, talk about confidence!

It's funny to see the "four days" and "week and a half" compared to the two plus months for JL reshoots.

Supposedly Whedon has changed the film's ending. It'll no longer end on a cliff hanger and will be a stand alone film as opposed to the first of a two parter. Also Cyborg has supposedly undergone a "tonal shift" and become a "lighter character" because it was felt that the film was too grim and dark.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Aug 12, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Apollo posted:

Wow, talk about confidence!

It's funny to see the "four days" and "week and a half" compared to the two plus months for JL reshoots.

Supposedly Whedon has changed the film's ending. It'll no longer end on a cliff hanger and will be a stand alone film as opposed to the first of a two parter. Also Cyborg has supposedly undergone a "tonal shift" and become a "lighter character" because it was felt that the film was too grim and dark.

Unless I missed something, that had been the plan since before Whedon were even approached.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Unless I missed something, that had been the plan since before Whedon were even approached.

Yeah, they were saying this like a year ago or whatever.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Oh OK I hadn't really been following the news on JL.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I hope Cyborg is closer to his Teen Titans GO! incarnation. This article gives me hope.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

There has to be at least one booya, even a quiet, smug one

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why do people keep saying that? His Teen Titans Go version is a purposefully exaggerated cartoon being most cartoons and just a full blown parody. Also generally an idiot. You can't make a movie out of that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why do people keep saying that? His Teen Titans Go version is a purposefully exaggerated cartoon being most cartoons and just a full blown parody. Also generally an idiot. You can't make a movie out of that.

Booya was his catch phrase in Teen Titans, not just Teen Titans Go, and has appeared regularly for the character since. Even his Injustice 2 version, who is a bitter literal fascist, uses it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Booya is fine. He even uses it in the more serious comic when appropriate. But the teen Titans go character specifically is just a dumb caricature who does zany things because it's a kids cartoon. Which is good in a kids cartoon, not a movie for general audiences.

His characterization in the new comic has been good. It's tied the fear of him being part machine thematically with the fear of him as a strong black man, and his discomfort with himself not feeling wholly human or not himself anymore with his discomfort fitting into his old community since his life changed (metaphorically, since he got rich and famous). He's used his diverse power set in really cool ways and got an interesting supporting cast. As a guy who didn't grow organically into adulthood and has been a Cyborg superhero since right around when that would have happened, there's also been a lot of soul searching trying to figure out who he is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'd hope there's some good material, Cyborg was a no-name until the original Teen Titans cartoon, which had a lot of fun with him as both one of the most physical and enthusiastic team members, and also by far the most intelligent, constantly tinkering with himself and other things. He's effectively the big brother figure in that dynamic, usually the most mature and possibly oldest. (Teen Titans Go has a running gag of him being interested in media older than what the other Titans have heard of)

Being put into the Justice League always felt like a shoehorning of a new minority character since Geoff Johns has such a hard-on for bland white men from the Silver Age, and all I heard was that they had no idea what to do with him, and he was usually written out of most scenes dealing with a computer virus or something. Also mean the Titans are lacking a key team member, but the comic books never cared about the Titans anyway, they've always been a repository for legendary bad writing to the point where the Great Lakes Avengers had a running gag of killing off members after a single issue (and a member whose power is to come back from death. That's it) to parody how often they'd kill off team members for sales stunts.

They already seem to have Wally We- sorry, Barry Allen as the 'kid' of the team, so who knows what Cyborg's role is. Hopefully this doesn't end up a movie where the comic relief characters outnumber the actual characters, Bayformers has caused enough damage.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I just want Cyborg to be all in with Diana's philosophy and be smart and positive with infectious enthusiasm.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'd hope there's some good material, Cyborg was a no-name until the original Teen Titans cartoon, which had a lot of fun with him as both one of the most physical and enthusiastic team members, and also by far the most intelligent, constantly tinkering with himself and other things. He's effectively the big brother figure in that dynamic, usually the most mature and possibly oldest. (Teen Titans Go has a running gag of him being interested in media older than what the other Titans have heard of)

Being put into the Justice League always felt like a shoehorning of a new minority character since Geoff Johns has such a hard-on for bland white men from the Silver Age, and all I heard was that they had no idea what to do with him, and he was usually written out of most scenes dealing with a computer virus or something. Also mean the Titans are lacking a key team member, but the comic books never cared about the Titans anyway, they've always been a repository for legendary bad writing to the point where the Great Lakes Avengers had a running gag of killing off members after a single issue (and a member whose power is to come back from death. That's it) to parody how often they'd kill off team members for sales stunts.

They already seem to have Wally We- sorry, Barry Allen as the 'kid' of the team, so who knows what Cyborg's role is. Hopefully this doesn't end up a movie where the comic relief characters outnumber the actual characters, Bayformers has caused enough damage.

Cyborg was actually one of the most important characters on the Titan comics since the start and Cyborg being on JL is not due any kind of minority push but because he's both one of Johns' favorites (due being a Detroit based hero) and having being part of the JL during the Superfriends show back on the 80's, another series that Johns loved.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
And it wouldn't hurt if he were to be injured and incapable.of speaking with his mouth so he speaks through his nose for a scene or two.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don't think the fact that Cyborg is on the team will be a problem. After all, nobody gave even half of a poo poo about Black Widow or Hawkeye and they made them Avengers to fill slots.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
That Cyborg's body is a Mother Box is a completely new and very different take on the character. Design is still poo poo, though.

Does make me wonder where they're going with that and if they'll have him rebuilt with Earth tech later.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

I don't think the fact that Cyborg is on the team will be a problem. After all, nobody gave even half of a poo poo about Black Widow or Hawkeye and they made them Avengers to fill slots.

I know we can't all be turbo nerds but Hawk-guy has been an Avenger in other media for like 50 years.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Inescapable Duck posted:

That Cyborg's body is a Mother Box is a completely new and very different take on the character. Design is still poo poo, though.

Does make me wonder where they're going with that and if they'll have him rebuilt with Earth tech later.

Maybe the character slowly regains his sense of humanity throughout the film and his appearance changes multiple times, growing as he slowly comes to accept who he is and what he has to be for the world. Part of me feels like since Cyborg's story is a core part of JL's plot, they're going to put a bit of focus on his struggle of accepting what he has become, and that maybe his outward appearance will reflect his state of mind.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

http://io9.gizmodo.com/casey-affleck-apparently-doesnt-think-his-brother-is-co-1797878970

quote:

Speaking on WEEI Sports Radio Network, Affleck was asked if his brother would be coming back to do Matt Reeves’ solo Batman movie:

“He’s not going to do that movie, I don’t think,” Affleck says. “Or so I would say.” This seems definitive until the hosts say Casey is “breaking news.” Immediately, the actor kind of walks back the comments. “Is that breaking news? I was just kind of making that up,” he adds before a bunch of people talking over each other.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxLnOrpywno

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The amount of clickbait this interview caused spread like wildfire lol. Unless we hear it direct from WB or Affleck himself, the dude is still Batman.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

From Buzzfeed

quote:

A representative for Casey Affleck told BuzzFeed News “he was having fun with the folks at the Red Sox game — where he threw out the first pitch in support of the Jimmy Fund — and not speaking from a place of firsthand knowledge.”

A representative for Ben Affleck told BuzzFeed News that nothing has changed since Comic-Con, and that “he'll continue to be Batman as long as the studio will have him.”

A representative for Warner Bros. told BuzzFeed News they had no comment.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lol.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ben was later spotted giving Casey a wedgie until he cried Batman.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

That's backtracking so weak even a kid in kindergarten would say, "Wait, what?"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

They brought in a new director for Casey Affleck's comments and did some reshoots.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I love the genre of news stories that are about badgering Ben Affleck to confess that Zach Snyder is bad.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

Pirate Jet posted:

Which is just weird, because Black Widow's 'acceptable' qualifications for joining a supernatural team were big tits and a handgun.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Take this with a truckload of salt since it lacks any reliable source but supposedly these are the changes done by Whedon to the film.

Spoilered just in case

Lex Luthor has been entirely cut.
Henry Allen has been entirely cut.
Deathstroke has been entirely cut.
Darkseid has been entirely cut.

The Knightmare is not addressed.

Wonder Woman is present when Steppenwolf steals the Amazons' Mother Box from Themyscira and vows revenge. This was included to set up Steppenwolf's new death scene.

Additional scene of Alfred picking up Batman in Amnesty Bay after Aquaman rejects him.

Additional scene of Flash and Cyborg discussing their backgrounds on their way to the Parademons' nest and developing a bond.

The Harvester subplot was entirely added in reshoots, restructuring the third act which was originally just an alien invasion.

Superman's subplot is altered. Rather than flee from Metropolis due to self-doubt, he does it to see Lois and Martha and let them know he's fine before immediately joining the battle.

Additional scene of Superman saving Metropolis from the Harvester's effects and reassuring the people that everything will be fine.

Additional scene of Superman meeting Alfred before heading to Venezuela.

Cyborg's subplot is altered. Rather than doubt himself and be reassured by Batman, Cyborg is the one who rallies the League using a football metaphor that later inspires the team's name.

Steppenwolf's demisse is changed. Originally he'd be beamed back to Apokolips by Cyborg and executed by Darkseid for faiIing to conquer Earth. Now Wonder Woman will punch him into the Harvester's beam and disintegrate him.

Additional scene of Cyborg and Silas watching Cyborg's old college football games together.

Minor dialogue additions throughout.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Lex Luthor has been entirely cut.

The Knightmare is not addressed.

The Harvester subplot was entirely added in reshoots, restructuring the third act which was originally just an alien invasion.

Superman's subplot is altered. Rather than flee from Metropolis due to self-doubt, he does it to see Lois and Martha and let them know he's fine before immediately joining the battle.

christ I hate Whedon

like, this unironically looks like Age of Ultron 2: lovely Movie Boogaloo from those spoilers

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
If I'm reading that correctly, yay another doomsday machine.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
That all sounds absolutely loving horrendous.

How can anyone prefer THAT over the original Steppenwolf death?

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 18, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Because Wonder Woman is popular

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

quote:

Additional scene of Alfred picking up Batman in Amnesty Bay after Aquaman rejects him

Odds on this being that one scene from the trailer that a few of us goons pointed out.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Take this with a truckload of salt since it lacks any reliable source but supposedly these are the changes done by Whedon to the film.

Spoilered just in case

Then what's the point of any of this???
I wanna see Darkseid throw down with Superman and some drat Omega Beams :argh:

quote:

Cyborg's subplot is altered. Rather than doubt himself and be reassured by Batman, Cyborg is the one who rallies the League using a football metaphor that later inspires the team's name.

Sounds good but it's probably executed badly. :(

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

welp this sounds like it's gonna ignore all the interesting, cool parts of BvS ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Normally I would roll my eyes at this, since fake spoilers always show up before the release of a DCEU movie, but with Whedon involved... I don't know :(.