Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

It would be awesome if Dany took a giant heal turn and became the big bad guy and the Night King is actually following a prophecy to stop her from ending the world. Then all those kids would be named after fantasy Hitler.

That won't happen though because it's stupid, but not stupid enough to be what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

But Prince was super loving talented.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/882053899/the-name-of-the-wind-art-deck

of all the things to kickstart, why the fuuuuuuuuuuuck would you pick a deck of playing cards

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ChickenWing posted:

of all the things to kickstart, why the fuuuuuuuuuuuck would you pick a deck of playing cards

Let me blow your mind:

This is the SECOND TIME he's Kickstarted a set of playing cards based on his books.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460165270/the-name-of-the-wind-playing-cards

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I've got that earlier deck, and I'm excited for these new ones. I like the art a lot better on these

EDIT: Is Rothfuss himself involved any beyond letting these guys use his characters?

EDIT 2: Ah, looks like he's much more involved with this one than the Albino Dragon one.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 16, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Full disclosure: I also got the earlier deck. Two of them, in fact - a limited and unlimited version. I also got a signed bookplate add-on.

I sold all of them last year as part of a lot of Rothfuss stuff.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

I've got that earlier deck, and I'm excited for these new ones. I like the art a lot better on these

Moron who takes the canonical status of Star Wars novels and cartoons seriously is very excited for merchandising, still hasn't found any example good writing in The Kingkiller Chronicle despite having over a literal year of time because their stupidity defies description.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

ChickenWing posted:

Cause he knows its the equivalent of printing money?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Maybe I'm crazy, but $15 for a regular-old deck of cards with a unique design seems a bit much. I spent :10bux: on a Red Dead Redemption set, and thought even that was splurging. I know the whole Kickstater thing is "You're not just paying for the thing, you're supporting the creator", but $15 being the starting point of even getting a deck is kinda silly to me.

Also:
This print... it reminds me of something....

hmmmm.....

Also also:

:wow:
All of the high-dollar tiers are taken. In one day. Jesus.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SpacePig posted:

"THEY ACTUALLY FUNDED IT"

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"THEY ACTUALLY FUNDED IT"

I'm pretty sure this thing is going to half a million, at least.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
maybe this is why God doesn't talk to us anymore

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Well Patty certainly doesn't need to worry about the geek chic drama anymore I guess.

Wow, this is pretty much as close as you can get to printing money.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Also, maybe I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't Bast described as being dark-skinned? And Auri as being small, waifish and raggedy? Art for this book never looks the way I imagine it, save for Kvothe.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I would pay $15 for a Zybourne Clock deck.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

SpacePig posted:

Also, maybe I'm remembering wrong, but wasn't Bast described as being dark-skinned? And Auri as being small, waifish and raggedy? Art for this book never looks the way I imagine it, save for Kvothe.

I think he's described as 'dark' which you could take to mean dark skinned, but most people take it to mean dark hair.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I really didn't picture Ambrose that way. Did I just forget that he had a stupid beard?

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Solice Kirsk posted:

I really didn't picture Ambrose that way. Did I just forget that he had a stupid beard?

I always pictured him as clean shaven too. Odd.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but $15 for a regular-old deck of cards with a unique design seems a bit much. I spent :10bux: on a Red Dead Redemption set, and thought even that was splurging. I know the whole Kickstater thing is "You're not just paying for the thing, you're supporting the creator", but $15 being the starting point of even getting a deck is kinda silly to me.

Also:
This print... it reminds me of something....

hmmmm.....

Also also:

The average donation was $65. For a set of playing cards and whatever kitch etsy level crap is being farmed out to a factory in China. Seriously, do these nerds have savings accounts and 401ks? It's not like any of these things will have any value in 10-20 years/

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Moderately paid tech jobs - 60 hour work weeks and no hobbies apart from consumimg nerd culture.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

pentyne posted:

The average donation was $65. For a set of playing cards and whatever kitch etsy level crap is being farmed out to a factory in China. Seriously, do these nerds have savings accounts and 401ks? It's not like any of these things will have any value in 10-20 years/

The average actually comes out to about $60 after you subtract the $11,200 donated by 10 people across tiers from $800 to $1800 for original copies of the art used for the cards. $1800! For a crummy painting of a stupid playing card!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Eh, I can't fault any of the people throwing money at this. I spend hundreds on bottles of liquor that are gone within a month or two. At least they get to keep these.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
I have dropped serious $$$ on nerd poo poo before, and hey at least unlike game kickstarters you know the product will actually get delivered.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

That art is garbo, is my only thought

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

RentACop posted:

That art is garbo, is my only thought

No accounting for taste in that department to be sure. You couldn't pay me enough to hang an original Jackson Pollock in my home, but I wouldn't think twice about hanging a framed Skinny Puppy concert flyer. People just like what they like.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My complaint is that any more money funneled to Rothfuss enables him to continue living his "famous fantasy author" lifestyle without having to write.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

I'm a huge fan of the books and the world that Rothfuss has created but I couldn't ever imagine spending 1800$ on an original painting of a playing card. I'd rather use that money to get a signed first edition of some other book. To each their own I guess.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I just don't understand why the gently caress you'd kickstart it. Just pay for the loving art and sell them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

ChickenWing posted:

I just don't understand why the gently caress you'd kickstart it. Just pay for the loving art and sell them.

The Kickstarter is to get the money to pay the artist and to get the deck printed.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ChickenWing posted:

It's the best way to get nerds to fund the merchandise they would have bought anyways. Why not use kickstarter and stay from going out of pocket at all.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
and now he has extra money! it's a win for everybody.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

jivjov posted:

The Kickstarter is to get the money to pay the artist and to get the deck printed.

He has the money and the proven demand. Kickstarters are either to support an uncertain idea that can't otherwise get funding or to bilk fools out of extra cash. This doesn't fall in the former category.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

ChickenWing posted:

Because then how could you charge $15 a deck? And also, advertising something on your own site is kinda hard, so why not just Kickstart it for basically free publicity?

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

HIJK posted:

and now he has extra money! it's a win for everybody.

So that means he'll have more motivation to finish the third book. Right guys?...Right?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

He should set up a kickstarter to get someone to ghostwrite the third book based on his draft. I'd fund it.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

Ccs posted:

He should set up a kickstarter to get someone to ghostwrite the third book based on his draft. I'd fund it.

Doesn't he have the book already written he just has to go back and edit / touch it up? Or am I thinking of someone else?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Confer posted:

Doesn't he have the book already written he just has to go back and edit / touch it up? Or am I thinking of someone else?

That's what he said. Of course, that was also when he said book 3 would come out around 2010.

quote:

April 18, 2007
When Will Book Two Be Out?
I just thought I might as well make a brief, public statement about this as a lot of people have been emailing and asking me about it lately.

*ahem*

The second and third books of the trilogy should be coming out fairly quickly, considering how long they are and the fact that I’m fairly obsessive when it comes to my writing. That means book two should be out about two years from now. Book three will be a year or so after that.

Why so long? / I thought I read somewhere that you already had the second two books written?

The trilogy is already written all the way through to the end, but there is still some editorial work to be done. I want the second one to be at least as good as the first, if not better. That takes time.
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2007/04/when-will-book-two-be-out/

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007
Assuming Rothfuss started "editing" the 3rd book on January 1, 2009, and excluding weekends and holidays, he would need to "edit" about 184 words/day to be finished by today.

Confer
Feb 28, 2017

How ridiculous. I love the series and I understand that as the author he can chose to release / work on the book whenever he pleases. However, after being spoiled by Sanderson I can't help but be slightly irritated at authors like Rothfuss and GRRM who have taken an excruciatingly long time between books. As long as we get them though, I'll be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Confer posted:

How ridiculous. I love the series and I understand that as the author he can chose to release / work on the book whenever he pleases. However, after being spoiled by Sanderson I can't help but be slightly irritated at authors like Rothfuss and GRRM who have taken an excruciatingly long time between books. As long as we get them though, I'll be happy.

At least ASoIaF will be finished by way of the show.

• Locked thread