Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Waze it trash for me. Directions are non sensical and estimated times are off by as much as 15 minutes sometimes.

Google Maps is miles ahead for actual navigation. Waze for everyday commute, google maps for new places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Does Waze have lane direction yet?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
For us non-driving scum, Google Maps has transit info for my country whereas Apple Maps doesn't, so there's only one app choice for me!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
How much longer will the "Highway Patrol" feature be available on Waze? If that goes there is no reason to use it anymore.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Another one for Waze. Wish they had lane guidance though.

Also Android Auto now supports it - doubt Apple will follow suit for CarPlay

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Question Mark Mound posted:

For us non-driving scum, Google Maps has transit info for my country whereas Apple Maps doesn't, so there's only one app choice for me!

Did you try iOS 11 yet? I haven't used Apple Maps in ages, but I loaded it up last night and it has a really fantastic transit overlay here in Toronto. Maybe not very useful for a local (I know where they're going and where they are, I need to know about precise timing and exceptions/detours), but certainly as a visitor.

They are rolling out support for more and more countries, I think Netherlands is one I heard about, but if you look at the level of detail on the map, it's pretty darn good, it's not as simple as importing a database.

Google Maps is still better, but it sure has improved a lot, considering Apple Maps didn't support transit at all for a while.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The actual real killer for Waze is no CarPlay compatibility.

Other than that it's pretty cool.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

xzzy posted:

Yeah this. I always used Waze but my new car has CarPlay so it's apple maps for me.

I might try testing with Waze providing verbal cop alerts while Apple navigates though. That's very important. :siren:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Can anyone explain the logic behind Siri being unable to turn off HomeKit scenes? It is a baffling design choice.

xzzy posted:

This hurts CarPlay far more than it hurts Waze. Apple Maps is still unusably bad, at least for turn-by-turn navigation.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apple maps in Ireland still doesn't have transit in 2017, despite apple using the country as a tax haven. Rubbish. It's google maps for me until then.

Apple maps working on the lock screen is insanely good though.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I still don't know why they even bothered to make their own map program

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FCKGW posted:

It's really good now y'all, moreso in iOS 11.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

hey it's me I've used apple maps since it's first came out 🤷🏽‍♀️

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

wicka posted:

This hurts CarPlay far more than it hurts Waze. Apple Maps is still unusably bad, at least for turn-by-turn navigation.
Yeah it's literally keeping me from buying a CarPlay unit, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Hard to justify the expense on new unit when I won't even be using it for navigation.

Oh well. Sliding my black leather-clad iPhone into a ProClip mount still feels pretty baller.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It's really good now y'all, moreso in iOS 11.

Its a lot better than it used to be, but it is still not good, and it is just a sad pit of despair compared to Google Maps or Waze. It’s literally dangerous to use for navigation.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

wicka posted:

Its a lot better than it used to be, but it is still not good, and it is just a sad pit of despair compared to Google Maps or Waze. It’s literally dangerous to use for navigation.

I opened Apple Maps while driving the other day and my car fishtailed and rolled over. Literally dangerous!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

bobfather posted:

I opened Apple Maps while driving the other day and my car fishtailed and rolled over. Literally dangerous!

It’s directed me down random gravel roads, detours that don’t make sense, right into closed interstates, past my exit only to tell me to make an illegal u-turn and double back, etc. It’s understandable that Apple doesn’t want to be beholden to Google for what is now basic mobile functionality, but maybe get out of alpha before you start forcing it on people.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Works great for me!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bit of an unusual request w/r/t podcast apps.

My dad has an iPad but a Samsung phone. Is there any good apps for podcasts that work on both and have cloud syncing ?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Regardless, I’m more here to ask why Siri can’t shut off HomeKit scenes when she can turn them on, and I can turn them back off with a single button. No one seems to be question this intentional refusal to perform utterly basic functionality.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bit of an unusual request w/r/t podcast apps.

My dad has an iPad but a Samsung phone. Is there any good apps for podcasts that work on both and have cloud syncing ?

Pocket Casts

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Pocket Casts

Excellent, thanks.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Endless Mike posted:

Works great for me!

It’s almost like it’s location dependent or something.

Google maps works perfectly where I am, Apple maps is literally worse than the built in system in my car (and we all know how good those are)

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

I've done road trips before where I use google maps on one phone and apple on the other. They both have their failings and you really need to pay attention to road signs and not blindly follow the navigation app.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

wicka posted:

Regardless, I’m more here to ask why Siri can’t shut off HomeKit scenes when she can turn them on, and I can turn them back off with a single button. No one seems to be question this intentional refusal to perform utterly basic functionality.

File a bug. None of us can fix that for you.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I think I started using Apple Maps in iOS 7 and it's always worked fine for me. I've only used it in Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri and Arkansas though. My one complaint is that I wish it would give me the verbal direction to turn or take an exit a few seconds earlier than it does.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

File a bug. None of us can fix that for you.

Take it easy, slugger, I’m not asking you to. It’s clearly by design - she says “I can’t turn off a scene” - so I’m just curious if anyone knows the reasoning behind that decision.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

FCKGW posted:

Turn-by-turn directions either wasn't going to be allowed or be prohibitively expensive to license is the reasoning most of the media outlets friendly to them gave, at least.

wicka posted:

I think you're looking at scenes differently than they are designed. Devices are turned off or turned on, devices are then set TO scenes. So you can ask siri to turn lights off or on, or set a scene to "bedtime sexytime" or whatever (you can say "turn Scene X on" and Siri complies, but what's really happening is that siri is applying scenes to your lights). But you can only replace a scene with another scene. So the workaround to this is "bedtime sexy darkness" or something, which is a scene that has the lights in your bedroom set to off, and whatever lights you want on anywhere else left alone.

It's easier for me to just say "hey siri, turn the bedroom light off" (or alternatively "hey siri, turn off the lights" if I just want all the lights off) but if you have a lot of devices I see how this can be annoying.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rick posted:

I think you're looking at scenes differently than they are designed. Devices are turned off or turned on, devices are then set TO scenes. So you can ask siri to turn lights off or on, or set a scene to "bedtime sexytime" or whatever (you can say "turn Scene X on" and Siri complies, but what's really happening is that siri is applying scenes to your lights). But you can only replace a scene with another scene. So the workaround to this is "bedtime sexy darkness" or something, which is a scene that has the lights in your bedroom set to off, and whatever lights you want on anywhere else left alone.

It's easier for me to just say "hey siri, turn the bedroom light off" (or alternatively "hey siri, turn off the lights" if I just want all the lights off) but if you have a lot of devices I see how this can be annoying.

I would accept this explanation IF it wasn't incredibly straightforward to, as the user, toggle scenes on and off. I tap the button for a scene, it turns on; I tap it again, it turns off, and yet Siri can't do that latter action.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

wicka posted:

Can anyone explain the logic behind Siri being unable to turn off HomeKit scenes? It is a baffling design choice.

What does "turn off HomeKit scenes" mean? "Turn off the lights?" Just tell her to turn off the lights. "Go to a different scene?" Just tell her what scene to go to. "Change a single aspect of the scene" Just tell her what aspect to change.
The intent is to set up scenes for whatever your different ambiance needs are, it's possible you just need to create another scene that is the intended behavior for 'turn off this scene.' The reason siri cannot do this is because your request is too ambiguous to have any real meaning.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

What does "turn off HomeKit scenes" mean? "Turn off the lights?" Just tell her to turn off the lights. "Go to a different scene?" Just tell her what scene to go to. "Change a single aspect of the scene" Just tell her what aspect to change.
The intent is to set up scenes for whatever your different ambiance needs are, it's possible you just need to create another scene that is the intended behavior for 'turn off this scene.' The reason siri cannot do this is because your request is too ambiguous to have any real meaning.

But it's not ambiguous. I can press a button to do exactly what I'm asking.

E: I guess I can describe my use case in more detail. I replaced my bedroom lights with Hue bulbs. I would like to be able to do two things: have a button on my phone to toggle the bedroom lights on and off, and to be able to tell Siri, "turn the bedroom lights on/off." To do the former, as far as I know, I have to create a scene that includes all my bedroom lights and add it as a favorite scene. For the latter, I can simply create a room called "Bedroom" and associate my lights with it. However, if the scene is also called "Bedroom Lights," it will conflict with the functionality of the "Bedroom" room. In order to have both, I'd have to name them something different, which is just stupid. Also, regardless of these explanations about what scenes are intended for, the fact remains that the control center Home buttons are fully capable of turning scenes both on AND off.

If there's something I'm missing here, great, I would love to be the moron who missed the easy way to do this. But it sounds like this is actually how it's supposed to work, in which case it's a piece of software that fundamentally misunderstands how people live in reality.

wicka fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 17, 2017

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Pivo posted:

Did you try iOS 11 yet? I haven't used Apple Maps in ages, but I loaded it up last night and it has a really fantastic transit overlay here in Toronto. Maybe not very useful for a local (I know where they're going and where they are, I need to know about precise timing and exceptions/detours), but certainly as a visitor.

They are rolling out support for more and more countries, I think Netherlands is one I heard about, but if you look at the level of detail on the map, it's pretty darn good, it's not as simple as importing a database.

Google Maps is still better, but it sure has improved a lot, considering Apple Maps didn't support transit at all for a while.
Nothing for Northern Ireland at all, sadly, even on iOS 11. It was really late coming to Google Maps too, but I was hoping whatever work the local transit provider did to make it play nice with Google could maybe carry over to Apple quite easily. Kinda looking forward to a holiday just so I can see if Apple Maps is any good again. ...although without a web version like Google Maps it's effectively useless for me wrt holiday planning.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Apple maps working on the lock screen is insanely good though.
Oh poo poo this is a killer feature. I'll be in London for a trip this November, I'll have to try it out then.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Khablam posted:

Honestly just try it.
There's 3 technologies that make it so much better.
Smart speed: This cuts silences around speech seamlessly and is literal magic.
Voice boost: Boosts the clarity of voices by about 3-4 volume ticks over the rest. Doesn't distort.
Speed: Pitch-perfect (it doesn't break ever) speed up.

A combination of speed boost and mild speed increases (say 1.5x) will usually net you 1.7-2.0 playback speed, and it's transparent to you after a while of getting used to it. Just speed it up in increments.
You can also customize the amount you skip ahead to match however long the given podcasts BLUEAPRON IS REAL HOME COOKING advert is.

This is overcast? That sounds bad rear end. I am always 20 behind. Will it make playlists and auto delete when done?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

All this "smart home" stuff kind of sounds like it sucks

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Snowmankilla posted:

This is overcast? That sounds bad rear end. I am always 20 behind. Will it make playlists and auto delete when done?

It's really great, Overcast is easily the best podcast app I've tried. It does do playlists, but I never use them, so I'm not sure if they auto delete. My only qualm is that the default font is garbage, and you can only change it to the regular system font by turning on dark mode. It's nice that he at least gives us that, and premium subscribers can also change the icon to match dark mode, but it'd be better if we could just toggle the font itself.

Weedle posted:

All this "smart home" stuff kind of sounds like it sucks

It's actually fantastic, and I can do poo poo like set my lights to automatically turn on at sunset, but only if I'm at home, which makes me feel like it's the future (and that's just the Hue bulbs, there's a lot more stuff out there). The problem I have is just that the Home app sucks, and since I pay a premium to have a house full of Apple products that work seamlessly together, it's annoying to have to resort to other services in order replicate basic light switch functionality.

wicka fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Aug 18, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Snowmankilla posted:

Yes, and yes.
Smart playlists is its own thing (rarely use them, but they're good for a lot of really short episode shows) and 'delete after playing' is a setting that applies globally.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All map apps suck because now they're comically verbose.

"In a quarter mile use the left two lanes to turn onto route 26/35 Butthead road headed north towards fuckoffville."

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

"In a quarter mile use the left two lanes to turn onto route 26/35 Butthead road headed north towards fuckoffville."

Considering people are idiots and turn their brains off when following GPS instructions, I'm sure it helps.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

xzzy posted:

Another point for waze (google also does this): you can set it so it only tells you about hazards or reroutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah it's kinda sad how waze is basically the perfect app and google is all "nah we gonna ignore you and mine the database to populate our traffic information."