Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
WarCraft III's World Editor is really one of the best development kits released by a developer to its users in the history of ever and all such iterations attempted by companies since then honestly do not come close to the functionality and diversity of its caliber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Hey if you like playing real ladder games on battle.net and/or are interested in the general health of the game I just finished making this:

https://arranged.team/

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
The WE was a goddamn joke at release and it took years of constant begging for Blizzard to finally bother making it usable for something else than making ladder maps.

For example, you couldn't even make triggered spells until TFT because there was no event for detecting a spell being cast. The best you could do was swap spell effect models and change superficial things like like damage, range, etc. in the SLK. What's an SLK? Glad you asked! It's this weird excel spreadsheet-like format war3 used to store data. It was totally undocumented and had to disassembled by modders so they could even start modding in the first place, as was the MPQ file archive format Blizzard used to store all the files that constitute a map.

The ability to detect a unit taking damage and to cause a unit to damage another, a feature that is crucial to 99.9% of the maps out there, didn't come until a couple of years after that. Ten years later you still have to use 3rd party tools, and all the documentation you need to read to be able to mod was not written by Blizzard. Warcraft 3 was successful in spite of the lovely editor, not because of it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I was big on Brood War modding but gave up when W3 released because the modding tools were dogshit. I wound up playing tons of great maps after TFT released so things obviously got better, but at first they were really bad

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

uniball posted:

Hey if you like playing real ladder games on battle.net and/or are interested in the general health of the game I just finished making this:

https://arranged.team/

Cool site and shows why they should really just remove USEast and transfer its player profiles over to West. Probably too much work though.

meat on a Friday
Dec 9, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You know I remember WC3 customs being incredibly fun and I spent a good chunk of my highschool years on LAN with friends trying out new ones on weekends - but they remade a lot of the same games in DOTA2 and I cannot get into them at all.

I don't know if my standards were just lower back then

I had the same feeling when trying dota2 customs.

McSlaughter posted:

WarCraft III's World Editor is really one of the best development kits released by a developer to its users in the history of ever and all such iterations attempted by companies since then honestly do not come close to the functionality and diversity of its caliber.

12ish years ago, I spent most of my free time refreshing the custom game list either looking for that fun game I just found or looking for some brand new game. That point in my life was when I was most addicted to gaming. There was just so many different types of games that it was almost impossible to get bored. I'm still waiting for some company to release anything close to WC3 WE.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
FYI the maps you loved so much were made with a bunch of 3rd party tools and a Frankenstein monster of a WE injected with a bunch of custom DLL's, made my modders, not Blizzard, and that have to be whitelisted in your antivirus to make the WE Actually Usable. If you reinstalled TFT and used nothing else but the stock WE, you would be unable to recreate any of those custom maps.

So once again,

Suspicious posted:

Warcraft 3 was successful in spite of the lovely editor, not because of it.

on the computer
Jan 4, 2012

Wake up sheeple

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
WC3 editor was mind-blowing for the time. Even lovely level 1000 hero arena maps where a 900 agility muradin would stunlock you were just astonishing coming from how little was achievable with the SC1 editor.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I forgot to mention basically every new patch was a wild ride because there was no way to predict how it would break custom maps because Blizzard sure as poo poo wasn't telling us anything back then. I remember a patch that completely changed data structures and broke every single custom tool and 90+% of all custom maps. Fun times.

It took Blizzard years to realize it was customs, and not ladder, that were carrying warcraft 3 and start giving us QoL improvements. When most people had already moved on to other games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i liked the editor because i made the naga and demons their own factions with tech trees and poo poo. closest i ever got to achievin gmy dream of making an rts.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Suspicious posted:

I forgot to mention basically every new patch was a wild ride because there was no way to predict how it would break custom maps because Blizzard sure as poo poo wasn't telling us anything back then. I remember a patch that completely changed data structures and broke every single custom tool and 90+% of all custom maps. Fun times.

Yeah, that poo poo sucked.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Overall, I think Warcraft 3 was "a pretty good game"

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Lacklustre Hero posted:

Wake up sheeple

Mutton was such a good Warcraft 2 map :shittydog: :shittydog: :shittydog:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Amnomia posted:

Overall, I think Warcraft 3 was "a pretty good game"

Please consider the plight of map makers before you utter such insensitive words.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i still don't like heroes and the insanely low supply limit in the main game but hero units did lead to dota and league so actually scratch that the game is bad.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

i still don't like heroes and the insanely low supply limit in the main game but hero units did lead to dota and league so actually scratch that the game is bad.

counterpoint: dota v5.xx bone clinkz

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol that was like the only hero i played back then. going 60-0 was the bomb.

Eregos
Aug 17, 2006

A Reversal of Fortune, Perhaps?
PSA for Windows users:
The April 2017 1.28 warcraft 3 patch has, for some reason, moved the saved games from the game folder to "C:\users\(user here)\Saved Games\Warcraft III". Which is odd considering the point of this consolidation was to have everything in the "documents\warcraft III" folder.

(there's also a vanishingly small chance it could be in "%userprofile%\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files (x86)\Warcraft III" but I think that's been fixed)

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

I guess there has to be something for those who only have the mental capacity to control one unit :shrug:

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol that was like the only hero i played back then. going 60-0 was the bomb.

the "original" bone clinkz was "designed" when wind walk didn't walk through units then all of a sudden blizzard "balances" blade master with no clip mode

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Huh. Someone on Hive Workshop put out the Reign of Chaos campaign modified to what is basically Archon Mode from SC2.

They also say they don't use the tedious "remember this code!" save/load system for carrying over heroes. I'm leaving for work as soon as I post this, but I'm curious to test it out and see how that works...

Notax
May 14, 2014

Everything compiled from Sir_Tweak was completely goofed in DotA and DotA2's buyback is as lame as it is weak

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I recently played the WC3 campaign again because it's really great and the game is still really good for that-- it held up really well.

Then you type in the various cheatcodes to break the supply limit and max out your resources. If you have a number of unit producing buildings and the supply limit cheat on, you can actually break the 90 or 100 supply limit by the extent of how many barracks you can task to build units before you get stopped by the supply limit. Thus the real question is how many unit producers can you build? Your only limitation is the map. Fortunately the various races can break down trees with siege weapons.

The world tree was saved not by the combined arms of three factions but by the brute military might of about 150 dryads and Tyrande/Malfurion's ultimate skill.

jokes fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Aug 10, 2017

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

jokes posted:

I recently played the WC3 campaign again because it's really great and the game is still really good for that-- it held up really well.

Then you type in the various cheatcodes to break the supply limit and max out your resources. If you have a number of unit producing buildings and the supply limit cheat on, you can actually break the 90 or 100 supply limit by the extent of how many barracks you can task to build units before you get stopped by the supply limit. Thus the real question is how many unit producers can you build? Your only limitation is the map. Fortunately the various races can break down trees with siege weapons.

The world tree was saved not by the combined arms of three factions but by the brute military might of about 150 dryads and Tyrande/Malfurion's ultimate skill.

Yeah there's some funny things you can do on that map. This one shows you how to kill Archimonde without cheats: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9opu7egcRQ, it's pretty insane.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

I always loved to play the save/load games. A lot of them have a protection where they won't work properly if the game doesn't have > 1 player. I know they have bots to host games. Are their any bots to sit in the game for a second or something to get around this? Finding people to join said games is to much of a pita nowadays.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Elmon posted:

I always loved to play the save/load games. A lot of them have a protection where they won't work properly if the game doesn't have > 1 player. I know they have bots to host games. Are their any bots to sit in the game for a second or something to get around this? Finding people to join said games is to much of a pita nowadays.

Ended up finding a way. With the MakeMeHost.com host bot, one of the commands is !fakeplayer.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Man after playing a bit of SC:R. I'm real excited for Warcraft 3: Remastered.

I don't have any fond memories of customs because I didn't have any internet on my old Dell, but Reign of Chaos was so fun. I even begged my dad to buy me more RAM since the PC chocked when to many units were on screen.

I actually only purchased and played The Frozen Throne last year after patch 1.27.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Man after playing a bit of SC:R. I'm real excited for Warcraft 3: Remastered.

I don't have any fond memories of customs because I didn't have any internet on my old Dell, but Reign of Chaos was so fun. I even begged my dad to buy me more RAM since the PC chocked when to many units were on screen.

I actually only purchased and played The Frozen Throne last year after patch 1.27.

I don't get the hype for a Warcraft 3 remaster. The game's graphics have a kind of cartoony art style anyway so aged pretty well and still play well compared to BW's low res pixelation, imo.

I guess they could increase the poly count a bit? :shrug:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

They could be spruced up and it'd be an excuse to go back and play the excellent campaign and maybe some custom maps, that'd be sweet

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Remaster and add co-op, they'd sell a million copies of the game.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Ths games netcode was godawful and b.net natively forces 120ms or so, that would be more valuable than any graphical overhaul.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Legit widescreen support would be neat.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

schmitty9800 posted:

Ths games netcode was godawful and b.net natively forces 120ms or so, that would be more valuable than any graphical overhaul.

They've already patched out this delay, a couple months ago.

Latency is just like w3arena in ladder games now.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Fanatic posted:

I don't get the hype for a Warcraft 3 remaster. The game's graphics have a kind of cartoony art style anyway so aged pretty well and still play well compared to BW's low res pixelation, imo.

I guess they could increase the poly count a bit? :shrug:

I feel the opposite. I though the old BW pixels hold up better despite the blurriness compared to Warcraft 3's early 2000s 3D graphics.

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

Elephunk posted:

They've already patched out this delay, a couple months ago.

Latency is just like w3arena in ladder games now.

Oh nice, haven't tried in a while.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

schmitty9800 posted:

i think it was more like 250ms.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

i think it was more like 250ms.

Yeah. It used to be 250ms and they've got it down to ~100ms. They said they working on getting it lower.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

GigaPeon posted:

Legit widescreen support would be neat.

This is all I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schmitty9800
Feb 10, 2003

OhFunny posted:

Yeah. It used to be 250ms and they've got it down to ~100ms. They said they working on getting it lower.

Just played my first on Azeroth in a while and during the pivotal fight it spiked massively and messed up my destroyer chain morph and my DK went 100-0 to lusted blademaster/hex