Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

Another option, though, is Iron Will. Character's got pretty absurd strength (250ish) for a spellcaster due to travelling to all of those life nodes, so why not put that to use. Would that be a better use of the final socket than elem focus since even if ignite isn't the primary focus, there is an awful lot of fire damage through triggers and whatnot, so ignite may add up. Would that be a better option?

Easiest way to tell is to import your character into Path of Building and play around with the various possibilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Cyclone is the most fun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Benson Cunningham posted:

If you're playing hardcore, go sunder 100%. It makes getting to maps easy and you can get some currency to work to your real build without dying. My Sunder character lasted until I Zana'd a 160% damage map and walked through a doorway without Immortal Call (I'm an idiot).

If you're playing softcore, why?

So Sunder is relatively safe due to being somewhat ranged, I guess? Good to know.

In an ideal universe this character'd be able to scale up to doing Guardians (like always, for me--it's a lofty goal for me to reach for, given my altitis, I know), does that influence what skill you go with? (e: for that matter does that influence Berserker vs Slayer, I'm still undecided on that)

MMF Freeway posted:

Cyclone is the most fun

An important factor to be sure :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 17, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
EDIT: Nevermind, for some reason it had two copies of the link and I was changing one of them but the calc was based on another. I'm a moron.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 17, 2017

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Kytrarewn posted:

I have the char in PoB, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to change skill links and have it reflected in the average hit, either in calcs or just in the skills tab.

I go to the link in question and swap things around, but nothing happens to the stats.

Do you have spare copies of your primary skill socketed somewhere? Sometimes the wrong one gets chosen in the dropdown menu.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone have experience as an ED/contagion player? I can't figure out the best way to tune. Is it best to just go all in on ED with piercing and GMP? Or save that as a single target damage and link up contagion hard to deal with trash mobs?

nerox
May 20, 2001
If you played WW barb in Diablo 2 and loved it, I can't recommend cyclone builds enough.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

nerox posted:

If you played WW barb in Diablo 2 and loved it, I can't recommend cyclone builds enough.

alternatively if you liked WW in D3 don't play cyclone.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone have experience as an ED/contagion player? I can't figure out the best way to tune. Is it best to just go all in on ED with piercing and GMP? Or save that as a single target damage and link up contagion hard to deal with trash mobs?

Pure damage links for ED. Increased aoe and faster casting for contagion, which will chain and kills screens of mobs with one cast of each skill. Blight/wither totem for help with single target.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Salvor_Hardin posted:

my man ED is a single target spell that spreads to others via contagion, you absolutely have to play it that way if you want to crush red maps

that means yes you cast two spells per pack, but the reward is indeed the crushing of red maps and with a lot of investment even shaper and uber atziri

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Kild posted:

alternatively if you liked WW in D3 don't play cyclone.

Cyclone doesn't stop and random poo poo anymore, it's nice

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Arcane Surge on Contagion.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah im doing a dirge cyclone right now and its dope, just leveling through low tier maps right now but its great

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what's a dirge? i'd wiki but work proxy

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

cold ngamahu basically, cheap as hell as well.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

For everyone who was hesitant/complaining about not starting a Baron SRS build because Baron is too expensive, RaizQT was just the first person to hit lvl 100 in SSF HC with Baron SRS, without having found a Baron.

E: all his gear is trash except for the worthless chest he 6led himself and his claw from Chimera. His jewels are incredibly bad (7% life + 2 useless stats).

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/RaizQT/characters

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 17, 2017

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

queeb posted:

Very tempted to do this with Slayer Infernal Blow.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Ultima66 posted:

For everyone who was hesitant/complaining about not starting a Baron SRS build because Baron is too expensive, RaizQT was just the first person to hit lvl 100 in SSF HC with Baron SRS, without having found a Baron.

E: all his gear is trash except for the worthless chest he 6led himself and his claw from Chimera. His jewels are incredibly bad (7% life + 2 useless stats).

I'm curious what spectre's he ended up using, the act 5 guardians with proximity shields and spectral throw I assume.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

why do people call dirge a cold ngamahu when it doesnt poo poo out ice bombs as you spin

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

queeb posted:

I can't see that picture at work because imgur is blocked but making GBS threads out iceball bombs sounds pretty fuckin neato

Awesome! posted:

why do people call dirge a cold ngamahu when it doesnt poo poo out ice bombs as you spin

awww.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Are "super tanky" builds viable?

Basically I want to make a character that does very little damage, but is virtually invincible even while just standing there not attacking.

Second question: are "thorns" builds a thing in this game? Anything to punish mobs for damaging you?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Awesome! posted:

you use hoi and then you poo poo out icebombs.

enraged_camel posted:

Are "super tanky" builds viable?

Basically I want to make a character that does very little damage, but is virtually invincible even while just standing there not attacking.

Second question: are "thorns" builds a thing in this game? Anything to punish mobs for damaging you?

yes.

you can do a thorns build with crown of the pale king and thousand teeth temu but I wouldn't recommend it.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Awesome! posted:

Because those are the words Mathil used to hype the stupid thing. It's nothing of the sort and the single target is pretty disappointing if you think of it that way.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

or play the game for more then a minute and you'll accumulate 4ex

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Holyshoot posted:

or play the game for more then a minute and you'll accumulate 4ex

:smugdon:

Fixit
Mar 27, 2010

Ultima66 posted:

Interesting items. Ohhhhh I see this is HC. Would that explain why he/she did not go with a +2 or +3 staff?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Because those are the words Mathil used to hype the stupid thing. It's nothing of the sort and the single target is pretty disappointing if you think of it that way.

Yea, Dirge is great if you think Ngamahu needed more dps for the stuff that dies instantly and less dps on bosses where dps actually matters. At least it's cheaper I guess.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Speaking of Cyclone what's the proper way to use it? Press the button a bunch rapidly, or just when your guy stops cycloning, or hold it down? Sometimes my guy cyclones forever off one button press and sometimes he just does it for a second. It is weird and I am sure I'm missing some trick.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Fixit posted:

Interesting items. Ohhhhh I see this is HC. Would that explain why he/she did not go with a +2 or +3 staff?

HC and SSF. More defensive out of necessity, might not necessarily have the currency needed to make said staff either.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

beejay posted:

Speaking of Cyclone what's the proper way to use it? Press the button a bunch rapidly, or just when your guy stops cycloning, or hold it down? Sometimes my guy cyclones forever off one button press and sometimes he just does it for a second. It is weird and I am sure I'm missing some trick.

Hold it down, keep your mouse somewhat close to your character. Shorter cyclones use more mana but give you more control. Longer ones can send you slowly spinning off to your death.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Are the controls for cyclone different than Diablo's Barbarian whirlwind?

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
You can't cancel a Cyclone once you start it, where in D3 you can, this is what makes it more dangerous to do long Cylcones.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Are the controls for cyclone different than Diablo's Barbarian whirlwind?

Depends on the Diablo. PoE Cyclone before 3.0 was click once to start cyclone towards where you clicked, if you clicked on non-terrain or ran into any non-terrain object you'd stop and not do anything. Diablo 2 WW was click once to start cyclone towards where you clicked, moves around terrain as if you clicked to walk there. PoE made Cyclone match this functionality in 3.0.

Diablo 3 WW is just hold the button to spin, while spinning you have totally free movement as normal.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm curious what spectre's he ended up using, the act 5 guardians with proximity shields and spectral throw I assume.

He used the wickermen with the righteous fire aura you see in act10. The AI gets in quick and they are pretty tanky to boot.

Also this "race to 100" thing was bonkers to check in on. Raiz would sleep for 3 hours and then bang out another 18-20 hours of straight racecourse grinding. The top 5 were just waiting for whoever was above them to sleep so they could finally sleep themselves.

Raiz started getting bad hand cramps a few days ago but still kept playing. What the hell.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ultima66 posted:

Depends on the Diablo. PoE Cyclone before 3.0 was click once to start cyclone towards where you clicked, if you clicked on non-terrain or ran into any non-terrain object you'd stop and not do anything. Diablo 2 WW was click once to start cyclone towards where you clicked, moves around terrain as if you clicked to walk there. PoE made Cyclone match this functionality in 3.0.

Diablo 3 WW is just hold the button to spin, while spinning you have totally free movement as normal.

Yeah I'm a fan of how D3 handles it, it feels very natural. Basically instead of walking you are spinning.

I guess I'll give cyclone a shot.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

So I got the doomfletch prophecy. Im also broke. Any recommendation for a doomfletch build that I can gently caress poo poo up with that can scale?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cyclone needs mana leech and a mana pool to feel ok so level with something else imho.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

Cyclone needs mana leech and a mana pool to feel ok so level with something else imho.

Ignore this and level with the blood magic keystone and a life on hit gem. :black101:

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

there's also the option of putting poacher's mark (low levels) or warlord's mark on blasphemy to solve mana leeching issues, or just putting 2-3 points into the leech wheel at the bottom of the tree if you're down there anyway and respeccing out closer to 80. or hell, the mana leech support gem exists basically just for leveling issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Warlords + blasphemy is the best thing ever for leveling Melee