Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

the 3 p's of getting paid to: post, poop, and pjack off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

the 3 p's of getting paid to: post, poop, and pjack off

this is literally 30-40% of my day working from home

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Milwaukee does seem pretty good though I know some people out that way and they're pchill

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

milwaukee is extremely not good what the gently caress are you people smoking

also lol at thinking anywhere in the midwest is redeemable

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

David Clarke was a long-time democrat and also a black man. He was normal for a while and then went extra off-the-rails over the last 2 years or so and his approval is like -5 million % now. He will not be back.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oh boy, more tedious elitism about Where You Live

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ThePeavstenator posted:

David Clarke was a long-time democrat and also a black man. He was normal for a while and then went extra off-the-rails over the last 2 years or so and his approval is like -5 million % now. He will not be back.

black people cant be bad? lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

oh boy, more tedious elitism about Where You Live

everywhere is bad, but some places are worse (the midwest for example)

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

milwaukee is the most segregated city in america and extremely bad

lol @ the computer touchers defending and fantasizing about milwaukee itt

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

black people cant be bad? lol

I'm not going to explain why black people might want a guy who empathizes with their problems when it comes to law enforcement to be in charge of law enforcement.

IDK what happened circa-2014 to snap David Clarke's brain in half but for a good decade he managed to not be whatever he is now.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm not going to explain why black people might want a guy who empathizes with their problems when it comes to law enforcement to be in charge of law enforcement.

IDK what happened circa-2014 to snap David Clarke's brain in half but for a good decade he managed to not be whatever he is now.

offhand i'm going to guess getting a taste of the conservative gravy train

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hmmm yes im sure he simply "snapped" rather than is a product of the terribleness that is milwaukee and the midwest as a whole

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Just go live somewhere cool nerds

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

lol if you don't get paid to jack off

yeah I'm not seeing the issue here

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
today and tomorrow are my last days at old job and I'm spending them not by not doing a goddamned thing.

feels pretty good.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

downtown minneapolis is not where you go for nightlife aside from first avenue (or realistically, 7th st entry--gently caress the mainroom) or gay 90s i guess. it's mostly office buildings.

all the fun stuff is in cedar-riverside, uptown, or breweries (which tend to be in more old industrial areas).

main room gets cool acts once in a while

there are so many new condos going in downtown that I'm hoping it becomes less of an office park but they'll probably all getting bought up by boomers or rich young people because they're all two bedrooms or less

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

areas with tons of full block box condo buildings and almost no retail or entertainment are the future and it's a lovely future

pan around this intersection: that's the future https://www.google.com/maps/@37.772...!7i13312!8i6656

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

turns out knowing people makes job hunting way easier

qirex posted:

areas with tons of full block box condo buildings and almost no retail or entertainment are the future and it's a lovely future

pan around this intersection: that's the future https://www.google.com/maps/@37.772...!7i13312!8i6656

*Queue montage of developers through the decades making overly trendy buildings* "I'm sure THIS look will hold up in 20 years!"

e:

Check out this beauty that was developed in the 60s next to a bunch of old brick homes/churches: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.046...!7i13312!8i6656

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 17, 2017

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

hmm yes lets pour out some concrete units and then use blockwork on the front and some random cladding material to polish this turd. truly inspired architecture.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

all housing should be like this https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5249993,-0.1251314,3a,75y,127.07h,104.79t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sdkULGWkTNprbWnF2yx1jfw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qhat posted:

Just go live somewhere cool nerds

though this is usually a city

i yearn for more places in the us to not need a car at all

i lust for car death

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Share Bear posted:

i lust for car death

:yossame: :awesome:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Share Bear posted:

though this is usually a city

i yearn for more places in the us to not need a car at all

i lust for car death

you can do it pretty much anywhere, but it depends on what part of the city you are in. you can live in Austin without a car, I have done it, but 95% of people don't because most of the housing stock is suburban and public transit sucks, but there are other options (ride share, car2go, bicycle) that work well in the central parts of town. most people just freak out when you tell them to roll their car cost into paying for somewhere closer in and to get rid of the car.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

gently caress that one condo building they are building everywhere that poo poo looks tacky as gently caress

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Share Bear posted:

i lust for car death

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

C.H.O.M.E posted:

you can do it pretty much anywhere, but it depends on what part of the city you are in. you can live in Austin without a car, I have done it, but 95% of people don't because most of the housing stock is suburban and public transit sucks, but there are other options (ride share, car2go, bicycle) that work well in the central parts of town. most people just freak out when you tell them to roll their car cost into paying for somewhere closer in and to get rid of the car.

I'm probably only going to get a car if I ever leave the city, I work remotely so it's certainly a possibility

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Got an email back from the interview I did last week, the CEO wants to interview me directly for an hour non technically. Either this means it's a toss up between me and someone else, or a sanity check before I actually get an offer.

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.
Wisconsin gets very nice once you are around Park Falls or further north. But I like looking at trees and don't expect others to share this view.
I cannot recommend the IL/WI border cities at all.

e:

huhu posted:

Figgggies!

Decided to make a career switch to Web Dev after returning home from Peace Corps and realizing I picked the wrong city for my previous experience. Two and a half years of on and off job searching, a low paying temp job, laid off from a contract position, another contract that didn't have a future, and now I'm making 360% what I made at my temp job. Feels good.

Congratulations to you and everyone else.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm finding myself having to go out of my way on a weekly basis to follow up with a lot of companies because they haven't done the things they said they would do. I understand that companies are busy and jobseeking time is longer than company time, but like when someone tells you that they'll send you an assignment within 2-3 days and more than a week goes by with no word, then you check in and they say "yes it's still in the works, sorry about this" that there's a serious communication problem somewhere within the company.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qhat posted:

I'm finding myself having to go out of my way on a weekly basis to follow up with a lot of companies because they haven't done the things they said they would do. I understand that companies are busy and jobseeking time is longer than company time, but like when someone tells you that they'll send you an assignment within 2-3 days and more than a week goes by with no word, then you check in and they say "yes it's still in the works, sorry about this" that there's a serious communication problem somewhere within the company.

:redflag:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

qhat posted:

:redflag::hf::sever:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

but also

qhat posted:

Got an email back from the interview I did last week, the CEO wants to interview me directly for an hour non technically. Either this means it's a toss up between me and someone else, or a sanity check before I actually get an offer.

goongratulations, its probably the latter

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
i lol real hard whenever anyone goes "but boston"

aside from our lovely history wrt to race (which literally every other city in the us had/still has) and skyrocketing housing prices boston is easily one of the best cities in the country to work at a tech company. we have a (semi-)functioning transit system, good infrastructure, great culture, some of the best hospitals in the world, the best schools in the country, and some of the most progressive politics in the us.

housing prices do suck pretty bad. i make 6 figgies and won't be able to afford a house for a few more years even with a pretty solid savings account.

also winters are cold and snowy and summers are hot and humid but lol if you can't hack a little bad weather just lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
counterpoint: garbage plates, entrenched racism

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

i lol real hard whenever anyone goes "but boston"

aside from our lovely history wrt to race (which literally every other city in the us had/still has) and skyrocketing housing prices boston is easily one of the best cities in the country to work at a tech company. we have a (semi-)functioning transit system, good infrastructure, great culture, some of the best hospitals in the world, the best schools in the country, and some of the most progressive politics in the us.

housing prices do suck pretty bad. i make 6 figgies and won't be able to afford a house for a few more years even with a pretty solid savings account.

also winters are cold and snowy and summers are hot and humid but lol if you can't hack a little bad weather just lol

the sports version of this post:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

the sports version of this post:

ugh

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Bhodi posted:

entrenched racism

but enough about humanity in general we're talking about Bostonians here

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bhodi posted:

counterpoint: garbage plates, entrenched racism

we don't have garbage plates here u idiot