Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm always tempted to reinstall, I got a dude to 20 once and he had a cool hat

Do it, it owns I'll pay for your house and I'M COMING BACK SOON FOLKS SOON AS I'M SET UP AGAIN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
I am still slowly working through Gondor for the first time, after buying the game in 2007.

It's quite funny reaching all the old endgame points where I'm offered months of repeatable content and just sail on past because screw dailies.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I was going to suggest that us first time through types should group together but then I realized that I'm on the server my friend is on - landroval or whatever and not the goon one. :(

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

Boy, do I have some good news for you.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Boy, do I have some good news for you.

Lmao I had read "silverlode" and moved on.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I think I have mentioned it in the past, but just as an FYI, I have a lifetime account and play fairly frequently, I am on Landroval, my main is named Felspeth and I have maxxed every profession and guilded at least half. I'll be 115 by the weekend. I'm not in the goon kin, but I'm always happy to help. Feel free to add me to friends lists and if you need anything, let me know. I'm on most weeknights and weekends.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Sweet. Will do.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Eopia posted:

I'm trying to but I'm currently stuck with choice paralysis in character creation.

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm always tempted to reinstall, I got a dude to 20 once and he had a cool hat

If you guys get in game; I'm in as Helad. Send me a friend request. I'll help out with quests, etc. Make the beginning stuff a little more fun with company. My goal is for us nerds to take on Moria one day, maybe.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

extra stout posted:

Do it, it owns I'll pay for your house and I'M COMING BACK SOON FOLKS SOON AS I'M SET UP AGAIN

Glenn Quebec posted:

If you guys get in game; I'm in as Helad. Send me a friend request. I'll help out with quests, etc. Make the beginning stuff a little more fun with company. My goal is for us nerds to take on Moria one day, maybe.

I do miss my cool hat.......

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Babe Magnet posted:

I do miss my cool hat.......

Then wear your cool hat. I roll as a Captain and my friend is a minstrel. But legit be whatever and have fun doing quests with lotr soundtrack in the background and conquer evil like loving heroes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Airspace posted:

I've technically played since release (and have a Lifetime though I can't remember purchasing it), but my highest is...17? While it's not my first time playing there's a metric shitload of content I have yet to experience.

At the rate I'm going, I'll probably finally get to Isengard by the time I retire.

It's not really a complaint, I love that there's just so drat much to do even if that did play hell with my inner completionist when I first started. Now I'm just in that "oooh questing....oooh deeds....oooh crafting' phase much like a hyper ferret with zero attention span. Though I do have to ask, it is possible to do a high jump off the tower in Minas Tirith? I kinda want to experience the LOTRO version of falling off Thunder Bluff.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Not only is it possible, a quest requires you to throw a chicken off.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

M_Sinistrari posted:

At the rate I'm going, I'll probably finally get to Isengard by the time I retire.

It's not really a complaint, I love that there's just so drat much to do even if that did play hell with my inner completionist when I first started. Now I'm just in that "oooh questing....oooh deeds....oooh crafting' phase much like a hyper ferret with zero attention span. Though I do have to ask, it is possible to do a high jump off the tower in Minas Tirith? I kinda want to experience the LOTRO version of falling off Thunder Bluff.

There's a deed for jumping off the top of Minas Tirith. There's one for jumping down the well at the Crossroads of Moria too.

Btw, you're playing the game the "right" way. :dukedog:

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I have wasted so much time going back and finishing old deeds, it's amazing I ever got as far as I did in the game.

But I'll never forget delivering those pies. Gonna tell my grandkids stories about it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Brave New World posted:

There's a deed for jumping off the top of Minas Tirith. There's one for jumping down the well at the Crossroads of Moria too.

Btw, you're playing the game the "right" way. :dukedog:

If there's a way to climb up Sauron's eyetower, I will stagedive off that too.

And I figured to ask here first since googling around I'm only finding old info that I don't know if it's still good. Years back I bought the wallet upgrade to get all the barter stuff out of my bags. Everything I've found says it's accountwide and permanent. However, checking my most recent character's wallet, she's not showing the insane amount of barter tokens I have, just the gold/silver/copper, marks and anniversary while I've got loads of tokens from all the festivals. I honestly can't remember if I created her before or after the server transfer since most I could find is that the wallet's limited to one server. Since it's a one time account purchase, it's gone from the store for me if I needed to buy a new one. Is this something I need to file a ticket on, do I just have to level her up more, or is there something else I'm missing? I did wonder if it might be a Premium/VIP thing since I wasn't VIP at the time I created her, but I just made a new test toon and she's also not showing the full wallet.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

If there's a way to climb up Sauron's eyetower, I will stagedive off that too.

And I figured to ask here first since googling around I'm only finding old info that I don't know if it's still good. Years back I bought the wallet upgrade to get all the barter stuff out of my bags. Everything I've found says it's accountwide and permanent. However, checking my most recent character's wallet, she's not showing the insane amount of barter tokens I have, just the gold/silver/copper, marks and anniversary while I've got loads of tokens from all the festivals. I honestly can't remember if I created her before or after the server transfer since most I could find is that the wallet's limited to one server. Since it's a one time account purchase, it's gone from the store for me if I needed to buy a new one. Is this something I need to file a ticket on, do I just have to level her up more, or is there something else I'm missing? I did wonder if it might be a Premium/VIP thing since I wasn't VIP at the time I created her, but I just made a new test toon and she's also not showing the full wallet.

Most tokens are character specific. You can tell which ones are serverwide by looking at the name. If it's in green then it's shared between all of your characters on that server. If it's in white then it's character specific and isn't shared.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Barter Wallet is an account-wide purchase. Some stuff is bound to specific characters and some stuff is account wide. Check the currencies' tooltips or look on lotro-wiki.com to see what it says.

Enzenx posted:

Most tokens are character specific. You can tell which ones are serverwide by looking at the name. If it's in green then it's shared between all of your characters on that server. If it's in white then it's character specific and isn't shared.
I...Totally knew this...Yup... :ninja:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Enzenx posted:

Ah okay. Pretty much on my oldest toons I'm sitting on a few hundred to a few thousand in barter tokens so when I looked at the youngest one and saw nothing, it threw me.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Lots of bugs fixed and some more polish, didn't see any mention of when the instances are coming

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?657624-Update-21-1-Release-Notes

Coupon for the current free store item: RANDOR for a random relic

extra stout fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 22, 2017

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

extra stout posted:

Lots of bugs fixed and some more polish, didn't see any mention of when the instances are coming

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?657624-Update-21-1-Release-Notes

Coupon for the current free store item: RANDOR for a random relic

Last night I was with a group running the Scourges they mention. They are basically just like roving threats (RT's) found in the Wastes, though they seem to work a little differently in the way that they spawn/respawn. They are currently pretty much pointless to kill, as the boxes that they give contain east-gondor tokens and level 100 crafting materials.... the only other thing you get for running them is some marks and poo poo. I think someone hosed up and copied/pasted the east gondor roving threat rewards.

There is only like 8? of them, and some of them are in very difficult areas to reach. One of them in Talath Urui also is bugged where it doesn't consistently grant the quest when you approach it. Out of our raid of around 16 people, only about half were able to get the quest at all. One guy said it had done that to him the day before but it granted him the quest this time around. Who knows.

flowinprose fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 22, 2017

genghispawn
Aug 17, 2008
Are the epic battles meant to be run over and over? I was doing Glittering Caves and failing the secondary objectives over and over because I had no clear idea what I was suppose to be doing.

Are they worth running over and over?

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
No and no.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
You unlock 2 class trait points by reaching 200 promotion points (the epic battle skill points). So, for the most part, yes, keep doing them, but you'd probably better off joining a group in LFF. It's just as tedious but spergy pubbies will at least get you platinum scores.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

To clarify, the only thing you get promotion points for is getting HIGHER medals or medals you have never gotten before. If you already have full platinum medals on a particular epic battle, running it again will not give you any additional promotion points. You can run the different versions (solo/duo vs. 6-man) to get medals for the other version, however, if you haven't gotten those yet.

The only additional rewards you get for repeating them are equipment pieces (which are minimally useful in Mordor, because the ones that come from epic battles will not have any Light of Earendil) and Stars of Merit (which you can use to turn in for Starlit Crystals or Scrolls of Empowerment). Generally speaking, doing festival quests is a more efficient way to get starlit crystals, and there are many other ways to get scrolls of empowerment. So the benefits of running epic battles repeatedly is pretty small.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I'm hanging out in Lhingris tonight and as far as I can tell this whole zone is basically spiderwebs and a couple milestones and camp fires.

Spiders murdering vast quantities of landscape critters.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 29, 2017

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

flowinprose posted:

To clarify, the only thing you get promotion points for is getting HIGHER medals or medals you have never gotten before. If you already have full platinum medals on a particular epic battle, running it again will not give you any additional promotion points. You can run the different versions (solo/duo vs. 6-man) to get medals for the other version, however, if you haven't gotten those yet.

The only additional rewards you get for repeating them are equipment pieces (which are minimally useful in Mordor, because the ones that come from epic battles will not have any Light of Earendil) and Stars of Merit (which you can use to turn in for Starlit Crystals or Scrolls of Empowerment). Generally speaking, doing festival quests is a more efficient way to get starlit crystals, and there are many other ways to get scrolls of empowerment. So the benefits of running epic battles repeatedly is pretty small.

The current shadow cap is 100, so if you have the 6 pieces of armour, cloak, crafted neck piece and crafted pocket item (20 Light) then you will hit 100 light. This leave you free to use BB earrings, rings and wrist pieces, 6 in total if you wish. The teal versions have superior stats (because they don't have light) but you might not find they have stats you desire.

Having more light than shadow doesn't do anything so there could be the potential for some classes to get some decent jewellery pieces. I am not sure if a bug or not but I can't seem to do each of them more than once a day, don't seem to drop anything after that. The two non-pelagir Gondor BBs are trivial to do solo, Defence of Minas Tirith is so trivial I tested it and it completes with gold just idling through the entire thing. It is sped up somewhat if you are able to change their stance to 2h.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Zvim posted:

The current shadow cap is 100, so if you have the 6 pieces of armour, cloak, crafted neck piece and crafted pocket item (20 Light) then you will hit 100 light. This leave you free to use BB earrings, rings and wrist pieces, 6 in total if you wish. The teal versions have superior stats (because they don't have light) but you might not find they have stats you desire.

Having more light than shadow doesn't do anything so there could be the potential for some classes to get some decent jewellery pieces. I am not sure if a bug or not but I can't seem to do each of them more than once a day, don't seem to drop anything after that. The two non-pelagir Gondor BBs are trivial to do solo, Defence of Minas Tirith is so trivial I tested it and it completes with gold just idling through the entire thing. It is sped up somewhat if you are able to change their stance to 2h.

That is a fair point. I would guess that any upcoming instance stuff will probably have higher amounts of shadow, but for now the epic battle drops are quite a bit higher in stats than anything else you can get.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Meanwhile I'm just having a lot of fun toot-tooting around with my Loremaster around Middle Earth, thanks to the XP shield constantly being +5-6 levels overlevelled for everything, and having my animal friends make everything around me go splat while I chop the odd tree and fix very important hobbit problems.

Basically I'm LARPing Radagast.

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

Lum_ posted:

Meanwhile I'm just having a lot of fun toot-tooting around with my Loremaster around Middle Earth, thanks to the XP shield constantly being +5-6 levels overlevelled for everything, and having my animal friends make everything around me go splat while I chop the odd tree and fix very important hobbit problems.

My 115 Blue LM's dps pet (lynx, bog thingy, etc) have 276k morale and my bear has 326k morale, had the pet solo MT warbands, RTs, not epic damage output but they are level 118 with Mordor-like mob BPEs which for grey con mobs they basically can't do much damage to them.

You need to keep Righteousness on the pet against trolls or other mobs that stun when fighting something like warbands or RTs, others with wonky aggro mechanics you may have to kite them a bit.

Zvim fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 30, 2017

Zvim
Sep 18, 2009

flowinprose posted:

That is a fair point. I would guess that any upcoming instance stuff will probably have higher amounts of shadow, but for now the epic battle drops are quite a bit higher in stats than anything else you can get.

Yeah, I am sure the shadow is bound to go up for instances and eventually raids but I would also expect there to be more sources of higher light values in the future as well. We will have to see how badly they butcher the new Radiance 2.0 system.

At present I need BB jewellery because they have put zero finesse on tank gear and I need 50-70k so I have had to use dps pieces which have a lot less vitality on them, some of the BB teal pieces have finesse on them but also have 1017 vitality for jewellery pieces, which is more than even non-BB tank jewellery. A few pieces just helps to balance up my vitality and give me some more finesse. I am just sacrificing some stuff like fate, BPE or crit defence for stats like finesse and higher vitality which atm is a win. Will have to see how it pans out in the future.

The BB jewellery item level wont scale, so down the track they wont be as good as they are now. I just hope future tank pieces have some finesse on them.

Zvim fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 30, 2017

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Lum_ posted:

Pretty much that's what I've been doing, just knocking about doing festival stuff, some deed stuff and eventually going back to the book quests. One of these days I'll get around to getting my alts back in the kin since they all got booted during my occasionally logging in only on my main stint.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/lotro-beacon-issue-24

New beacon is out, mostly community events nothing huge I'm seeing. Use the coupon code MORGLORYMORPROB if you're one of the three goons who PVP or just want to put it in the vault for later.

And the Farmer's Faire will be ending September 8th (usually 3 AM) EST.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM212jhzh40

Sounds like my wife.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 5, 2017

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Edit: Stupid edit.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

This owns but please do not let your wife read your post

There's a new mini-trailer for the best MMO still standing, it's a very short preview but way better than the previous trailer: The worst trailer for Mordor anyone could have ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6REZDo20vdY

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
So how are Beornings, particularly as support/healers now that they've had a few years to settle in?

I used to play a LM way back because I loved having many buttons to debuff, heal and generally dick with things. I took a brief venture onto youtube (I know, I know) for current hot takes and the things I was finding were like

'RKs are only DPS. Minstrels are the only healers.'

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Innerguard posted:

So how are Beornings, particularly as support/healers now that they've had a few years to settle in?

I used to play a LM way back because I loved having many buttons to debuff, heal and generally dick with things. I took a brief venture onto youtube (I know, I know) for current hot takes and the things I was finding were like

From what I have seen, RK's can still heal pretty well, but maybe not well enough for the bleeding edge of difficulty like some T2 challenge at cap level or something.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Innerguard posted:

I happened to be going through Durthang last night on my Hunter at the same time as a Beorning, so we basically duoed the whole place. He could pull huge numbers of mobs and just. not. die, and keep me topped up on health when I happened to gain aggro. On the other hand he basically couldn't do any damage compared to me; I seriously think I was doing >90% of our combined damage output. At one point we inadvertently pulled 3 signatures + like 5 trash mobs and the Beorning literally ran in circles with the mobs beating on him while I killed the pack one at a time.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Interesting.

How do all the support/healer classes stack up in terms of healing output / individual survivability / ability to actually make things dead at later game?

The highest I ever got was a..62? LM I think, a few years ago. I've toyed with the idea of coming back but keep hesitating.

Basically, how do

Beorning
Mini
RK
LM

stack against each other under those terms? Youtube stuff really seems like hot garbage, as a lot of the '2017' videos seem to be from people who are struggling to kill on-level mobs or who record on potato-cam and there's no 'healer/support roundup' that I can see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Innerguard posted:

Interesting.

How do all the support/healer classes stack up in terms of healing output / individual survivability / ability to actually make things dead at later game?

The highest I ever got was a..62? LM I think, a few years ago. I've toyed with the idea of coming back but keep hesitating.

Basically, how do

Beorning
Mini
RK
LM

stack against each other under those terms? Youtube stuff really seems like hot garbage, as a lot of the '2017' videos seem to be from people who are struggling to kill on-level mobs or who record on potato-cam and there's no 'healer/support roundup' that I can see.

In terms of healing...

Mini's are the best healing class in the game, no question. I'm not 100% sure where Beorning's fit as it is the only class I have never played at all. I would say from what I have seen in groups I have been in that they do okay with healing in 3-6man content as long as it isn't something very challenging. RK can heal better than beorning, and almost as good as a minstrel if the person is equipped/traited to do it. The problem is that I think alot of people don't seem to really bother with setting up an RK to heal. LM healing is basically just for spot healing in a pinch, or in some 3-man content it can do a passable job.